Calling All Inklings!

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
Good day to all the Squids, Inklings,Octolings, and Judd. I come to you today with a simple message:

"I Want You to help make the Splatoon community a thriving inktropolis" - working title.

With the release of Splatoon edging ever closer to our ink-deprived hands, we have been given a wonderful opportunity to preempt this game with a thriving community of Squids. Luckily, with the hard work of the Admins (@AlphaZealot, @Squidboards, @TheRapture, and @Warchamp7) we have been given a medium in which to operate, and our community is already teeming with wonderful and helpful squid-kind to communicate and get hyped for the coming release.
Likewise, the hard work of the a few squids in the community that want to see this community grow ( @StarForce,@Flying_Tortoise, @HaDeeZ and @Kat ) have laid the groundwork for what is assuredly going to be THE place for the Splatoon competitive scene. But, there is always more work to be done. That is where you, my fellow squids, come in. We need need to form a coalition, a Shoal (look it up) if you will. There are many ways we can prepare the community for the coming swarm of inkling activity upon Splatoon's release.

*Note: This list is a work in progress, and objectives will be added or removed as needed, and is in no particular order.
  • Refinement of the Squad vs Squad System
    • @Flying_Tortoise and @StarForce did an excellent job creating what we will base our Squid Squad system around, but there is always room for improvement.
    • This objective will be more of a work in progress until we are given proper ability to host Squad vs Squad matches in a reasonable and convenient way. (August or sooner)
  • Automation of Squad Creation and Moderation
    • Piggy-Backing off of the last point, creating a easy and streamlined way to create, join, and moderate squads. This is going to be an undertaking, and will likely require some help from the site creators and admins, and perhaps some outside resource such as Google Forms.
    • This will help way to make the site extremely friendly to new players who want to get involved who don't know anyone to team up with (because asking around to be in a squad can be a daunting task).
  • TeamSpeak Moderation
    • One of our team, @Shiny has been so generous as to allow use of his 50-member TeamSpeak3 server (until it becomes dedicated fully to SquidBoards, tentatively).
    • Shiny has done a great preparing the server for a variety of uses: Squad Matches, Community Meetings, and general Squid-themed chill spaces.
    • The currently registered squads already have rooms set up for them, and we will endeavor to give each Squad Captain, and Co-Captain (at the captain's discretion) moderator power, on their individual rooms.
  • Integration of Content Creators with Squidboards
    • As we should know by now, social media is one of a community's best tools to attract new members, as well as getting the attention of e-sports hosting groups.
    • One notion that we have been playing with is having various content creators (YT and Twitch Streamers) covering the community, the tournaments, the e-sport seasons, and news about upcoming Splatoon patches and releases.
    • This will cooperation will require work from everyone: Admins, Content Creators, and Community Organizers. This presents us with unique opportunities for cross-promotion and benefits for everyone involved, especially the users of SquidBoards.
  • Updates to the Ranks and Tournament System
    • StarForce, HaDeez, Kat, and Flying_Tortoise did the lion's share of the work here, and we'll likely use what they created in This post, as well as the ideas they had in a conversation they were using to discuss this very thing, as our jumping off point. Like the squads and the systems surrounding them, of which this is one, this will be a work in progress until the ability for us to have actual working private matches is patched into the game.
    • We will look at all game modes, other e-sports and what the community itself wants to see from our e-sports system.
    • We will endeavor to implement an automated system that Tournament Organizers can use to send in tournament results from all over the world, having it update itself in real time.
  • Hierarchy of the Community Organizers
    • We are likely going to be a sizable group, so the first order of business is to deal with who will be in charge of the various issues. We will likely be splitting into smaller groups to tackle individual issues, with the individual groups reporting back to the overall team about progress and resolutions. That will be spoken about during the first round of meetings and discussions.
This is where of all you squids come in. We are looking for people from all different backgrounds, but we want people with something to add to the conversation and plans for this community.

• We need people familiar with e-sports in general. In-depth analysis of what goes into crafting rules, making a ranking system, tournaments, and the like would be more than appreciated.
  • We need Content Creators. That means Youtube, Twitch, and to some extent artists. We can get some cross-promotion going and drive everyone's views and traffic up. This is will be an excellent opportunity for everyone.
  • We want to set up a Squad System in which new members can find squads to join that fit their play-style and personality, and make sure no player is left without people to play with. A squid is nothing without their Squad.
  • We have a TeamSpeak, so we need squids to moderate it. That'll be only few people of course, but mods in various time-zones will be beneficial to everyone. That means, AU, EU, and NA/SA mods.
  • Even if you aren't expressly knowledgeable in anything listed (Like myself, I'm just great at writing walls of text), your individual outlooks and opinion could prove invaluable. If you are interested in helping this community grow, hop aboard.
  • You will also have to be able to work well with others, be open-minded about ideas, and willing to compromise.

I know some of you will look at this as a tad bit premature, but most assuredly we'll craft flexible plans for the things we cannot determine yet (such as the squads and e-sports scene) and focus on the thing that we can directly control, such as the TS server, and twitch streaming integration into the site. This will heavily depend on the admins as well, so we hope to have their support and assistance moving forward. We shouldn't wait to discuss these topics that as a new community we need to answer. There is so much to discuss and the sooner we organize ourselves, the better we will look to newer players looking to join the community and play this amazing game.

If you are interested in joining us and helping Splatoon be a bigger and better community, please apply in this form:

Splatoon Community Organizer Application - Application Closed

Thanks for scaling the wall,
The Squidboards Community Organizers

TS IP: 76.74.238.52:10907
TS Download: Here

And be sure to thank @Shiny when you see him.

Last edited:

Trick_Ster

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Thetardygalaxy
I have a pretty high internet speed. So if any streaming or video services are needed, I'm here. I already have a youtube account(Though it's mainly for silly videos, I have a alternate account that would be good for it. But I've been on youtube since 2006.) I also have streamed many times in the past on both Youtube and Twitch. So I have good experience there too.

Here's my internet speed:

Wiley

Smeargle
NNID
MrWiley
These are some great goals and outlets for the community to help. I hope we can all band together in whatever ways possible and contribute to further this site's growth. I look forward to seeing the progression.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
I volunteer my services to whatever you may need me for. I have some limited experience in other e-sports: I follow Smash pretty closely and understand most of the ins and outs of their scene (but unfortunately am not able to get to many tournaments), and watch TF2 sometimes (to the point where I have a basic knowledge of how their competitive scene works, but not much more), and will tune in to any major events in other games, even if I have no idea what's going on. I probably wouldn't work as a content creator, as I don't have any experience with that, nor the assets necessary to make anything of quality. I'd be happy to help with anything else you need me to, though, from helping work out logistics for various aspects of establishing the community to writing up posts for other users to anything in between. I'd like to see this community become something special and I'm willing to help any way I can.

Edit: of the things listed above, I'm probably best suited for this:

• We need people familiar with e-sports in general. In-depth analysis of what goes into crafting rules, making a ranking system, tournaments, and the like would be more than appreciated.

Last edited:

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
This is probably one of my most anticipated games in years right next to Metal Gear V, Smash 4, and Zelda U. You can count me in to help in any way shape or form. Splatoon can possibly die in a few months flat, but I wouldn't stand by and let that happen. I'll be a part of the community as much as possible. Right after I finish my finals up...

Shiny

The Shiniest Shiny
This is probably one of my most anticipated games in years right next to Metal Gear V, Smash 4, and Zelda U. You can count me in to help in any way shape or form. Splatoon can possibly die in a few months flat, but I wouldn't stand by and let that happen. I'll be a part of the community as much as possible. Right after I finish my finals up...
Demfinals tho xD as long as the community stays active we will stay alive :P

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
We need people familiar with e-sports in general. In-depth analysis of what goes into crafting rules, making a ranking system, tournaments, and the like would be more than appreciated.
I think I could help the community with this. I have been following the eSports scene for many years so I think I could contribute at least something. Hit me up with a PM or something and I'll definitely help!

We have a TeamSpeak, so we need squids to moderate it. That'll be only few people of course, but mods in various time-zones will be beneficial to everyone. That means, AU, EU, and NA/SA mods.
I have so much free time on my hands right now so I could also help with this stuff. I live in Finland (thats GMT+2/+3 during summer time) so I could help moderate the TS during EU hours.

And what comes to Twitch and streaming in general, Twitch.tv is pretty much my second home so I'm surely gonna promote all kinds of Splatoon streaming in there. Because of financial reasons I wont be able to stream for now but I have fair amount of knowledge when it comes to streaming so I can help people with this stuff as well. I'd love to be involved more when it comes to this community so don't be shy and gimme a shout if you need me for anything I wrote above!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Zelda U doesn't come out this year. It was delayed. Nintendo's next big release is Xenoblade X.

Last edited:

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
Can't wait to work with you all! If you haven't had the chance I would highly suggest you guys check out the team speak as well, cause it is a great place to meet new people! We can hopefully release the applications soon and can't wait to make this a very successful community.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I think I could help the community with this. I have been following the eSports scene for many years so I think I could contribute at least something. Hit me up with a PM or something and I'll definitely help!

I have so much free time on my hands right now so I could also help with this stuff. I live in Finland (thats GMT+2/+3 during summer time) so I could help moderate the TS during EU hours.

And what comes to Twitch and streaming in general, Twitch.tv is pretty much my second home so I'm surely gonna promote all kinds of Splatoon streaming in there. Because of financial reasons I wont be able to stream for now but I have fair amount of knowledge when it comes to streaming so I can help people with this stuff as well. I'd love to be involved more when it comes to this community so don't be shy and gimme a shout if you need me for anything I wrote above!
Wow, you're a veritable triple-threat. The moderation of TS won't be required until it is required and more people start using it regularly, but I'll keep you in the loop on that. On the topic of streaming, we may actually have plenty of streamers willing to do this cross-promotion we're talking about, so background knowledge about the streaming scene, i.e. what makes it tick, will prove invaluable. Thanks for your interest, there will be updates on getting more people into the group relatively shortly.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Wow, you're a veritable triple-threat. The moderation of TS won't be required until it is required and more people start using it regularly, but I'll keep you in the loop on that. On the topic of streaming, we may actually have plenty of streamers willing to do this cross-promotion we're talking about, so background knowledge about the streaming scene, i.e. what makes it tick, will prove invaluable. Thanks for your interest, there will be updates on getting more people into the group relatively shortly.
Sounds good!

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I volunteer my services to whatever you may need me for. I have some limited experience in other e-sports: I follow Smash pretty closely and understand most of the ins and outs of their scene (but unfortunately am not able to get to many tournaments), and watch TF2 sometimes (to the point where I have a basic knowledge of how their competitive scene works, but not much more), and will tune in to any major events in other games, even if I have no idea what's going on. I probably wouldn't work as a content creator, as I don't have any experience with that, nor the assets necessary to make anything of quality. I'd be happy to help with anything else you need me to, though, from helping work out logistics for various aspects of establishing the community to writing up posts for other users to anything in between. I'd like to see this community become something special and I'm willing to help any way I can.

Edit: of the things listed above, I'm probably best suited for this:
We will definitely need people to help (me in particular) with getting what the group(s) come up with to the community, as well as community building in general. We're going to brainstorm. Alot. Plus your knowledge of various e-sports will come in handy in crafting our tourney rule-sets and the like. We'll be getting the group expanded with the obvious pickups relatively soon, and soon after we'll decide our first meeting, to brainstorm and decide the sub-committees as a whole. Thank you for your interest and support!

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
Fantastic post all around. I can't wait to see what us content creators can do for this community. Like I mentioned before in other places, I have a group of people that will do a podcast together probably weekly in which we cover what's going on with updates with Splatoon and with the competitive community.

I can't wait to see the applications, I'll definitely be applying.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Thanks for the post, wonderful stuff. As always I'm around to help with any stuff, got years of eSports experience under my belt so I'll be glad for it to finally come in useful. I'll probably be helping with leagues and cups etc. Maybe getting this stuff into any pre-established services would help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom