Calling All Inklings!

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I'm going to try and spearhead the offline scene in my area around Tx for this game's competitive scene. I'd like to work with you guys in establishing a competitive standard for play. Not sure what options we'll have in local play but I'm sure I can find something that will work lol x)
We're farther from the competitive rule set than anything of our mission statement. Given the time it will be before we get to try out the competitive scene of the game anyway. So good luck to you on the local component, if we can help you out, we'll do our best.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I draw! I wouldn't mind doing some kinda splash art for squads or something--or maybe banners for people to spread around to alert others of tournaments? I dunno, I'd need ideas first.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I draw! I wouldn't mind doing some kinda splash art for squads or something--or maybe banners for people to spread around to alert others of tournaments? I dunno, I'd need ideas first.
Something specifically we've talked about artists making Squidboards or Splatoon Twitch overlays. That will be super helpful.

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I can't wait to start working with a lot of you! I hope we can make this community project very successful!

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I wish I had any of the skills needed for this. Writing fanfiction is literally the only content creation skill I have, and I don't even do it that often (plus it's the least useful one when it comes to popularity, even fanart is better in that regard). Only thing I feel confident saying about eSports is that pros having twitch streams/youtube videos will help get people interested in that aspect of the game, promoting those would be a good idea, especially for when a new weapon/map is released and everybody is looking for info on it. Like how Smashboards posted the Smash Academy guide on Mewtwo.

I guess I could post stuff from here on the Splatoon subreddit to help spread any useful information.

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
I'm afraid I have pretty much no experience with streaming and such, and about as much with esports in general other than a couple of months watching S@X PM weeklies and a LoL match here or there, but if I can, I'd like to try my hand at commentating sometime once I can get myself set up and figure out what I'm doing. I feel like this is the first game I've really wanted to participate in, and I guess I'd have to start somewhere, so if anyone can think of anything else I can do to help, I'll do my best to make it work. X)

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
This is pretty neat. Good luck with this. :)

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Good luck with the project. I will be cheering from the side line :p

Also lol @ "e-sports"

SpecialtySake

Pro Squid
Good day to all the Squids, Inklings,Octolings, and Judd. I come to you today with a simple message:

"I Want You to help make the Splatoon community a thriving inktropolis" - working title.

With the release of Splatoon edging ever closer to our ink-deprived hands, we have been given a wonderful opportunity to preempt this game with a thriving community of Squids. Luckily, with the hard work of the Admins (@AlphaZealot, @Squidboards, @TheRapture, and @Warchamp7) we have been given a medium in which to operate, and our community is already teeming with wonderful and helpful squid-kind to communicate and get hyped for the coming release.
Likewise, the hard work of the a few squids in the community that want to see this community grow ( @StarForce,@Flying_Tortoise, @HaDeeZ and @Kat ) have laid the groundwork for what is assuredly going to be THE place for the Splatoon competitive scene. But, there is always more work to be done. That is where you, my fellow squids, come in. We need need to form a coalition, a Shoal (look it up) if you will. There are many ways we can prepare the community for the coming swarm of inkling activity upon Splatoon's release.

*Note: This list is a work in progress, and objectives will be added or removed as needed, and is in no particular order.
  • Refinement of the Squad vs Squad System
    • @Flying_Tortoise and @StarForce did an excellent job creating what we will base our Squid Squad system around, but there is always room for improvement.
    • This objective will be more of a work in progress until we are given proper ability to host Squad vs Squad matches in a reasonable and convenient way. (August or sooner)
  • Automation of Squad Creation and Moderation
    • Piggy-Backing off of the last point, creating a easy and streamlined way to create, join, and moderate squads. This is going to be an undertaking, and will likely require some help from the site creators and admins, and perhaps some outside resource such as Google Forms.
    • This will help way to make the site extremely friendly to new players who want to get involved who don't know anyone to team up with (because asking around to be in a squad can be a daunting task).
  • TeamSpeak Moderation
    • One of our team, @Shiny has been so generous as to allow use of his 50-member TeamSpeak3 server (until it becomes dedicated fully to SquidBoards, tentatively).
    • Shiny has done a great preparing the server for a variety of uses: Squad Matches, Community Meetings, and general Squid-themed chill spaces.
    • The currently registered squads already have rooms set up for them, and we will endeavor to give each Squad Captain, and Co-Captain (at the captain's discretion) moderator power, on their individual rooms.
  • Integration of Content Creators with Squidboards
    • As we should know by now, social media is one of a community's best tools to attract new members, as well as getting the attention of e-sports hosting groups.
    • One notion that we have been playing with is having various content creators (YT and Twitch Streamers) covering the community, the tournaments, the e-sport seasons, and news about upcoming Splatoon patches and releases.
    • This will cooperation will require work from everyone: Admins, Content Creators, and Community Organizers. This presents us with unique opportunities for cross-promotion and benefits for everyone involved, especially the users of SquidBoards.
  • Updates to the Ranks and Tournament System
    • StarForce, HaDeez, Kat, and Flying_Tortoise did the lion's share of the work here, and we'll likely use what they created in This post, as well as the ideas they had in a conversation they were using to discuss this very thing, as our jumping off point. Like the squads and the systems surrounding them, of which this is one, this will be a work in progress until the ability for us to have actual working private matches is patched into the game.
    • We will look at all game modes, other e-sports and what the community itself wants to see from our e-sports system.
    • We will endeavor to implement an automated system that Tournament Organizers can use to send in tournament results from all over the world, having it update itself in real time.
  • Hierarchy of the Community Organizers
    • We are likely going to be a sizable group, so the first order of business is to deal with who will be in charge of the various issues. We will likely be splitting into smaller groups to tackle individual issues, with the individual groups reporting back to the overall team about progress and resolutions. That will be spoken about during the first round of meetings and discussions.
This is where of all you squids come in. We are looking for people from all different backgrounds, but we want people with something to add to the conversation and plans for this community.

• We need people familiar with e-sports in general. In-depth analysis of what goes into crafting rules, making a ranking system, tournaments, and the like would be more than appreciated.
  • We need Content Creators. That means Youtube, Twitch, and to some extent artists. We can get some cross-promotion going and drive everyone's views and traffic up. This is will be an excellent opportunity for everyone.
  • We want to set up a Squad System in which new members can find squads to join that fit their play-style and personality, and make sure no player is left without people to play with. A squid is nothing without their Squad.
  • We have a TeamSpeak, so we need squids to moderate it. That'll be only few people of course, but mods in various time-zones will be beneficial to everyone. That means, AU, EU, and NA/SA mods.
  • Even if you aren't expressly knowledgeable in anything listed (Like myself, I'm just great at writing walls of text), your individual outlooks and opinion could prove invaluable. If you are interested in helping this community grow, hop aboard.
  • You will also have to be able to work well with others, be open-minded about ideas, and willing to compromise.

I know some of you will look at this as a tad bit premature, but most assuredly we'll craft flexible plans for the things we cannot determine yet (such as the squads and e-sports scene) and focus on the thing that we can directly control, such as the TS server, and twitch streaming integration into the site. This will heavily depend on the admins as well, so we hope to have their support and assistance moving forward. We shouldn't wait to discuss these topics that as a new community we need to answer. There is so much to discuss and the sooner we organize ourselves, the better we will look to newer players looking to join the community and play this amazing game.

Thanks for scaling the wall,
The Squidboards Community Organizers

TS IP: 76.74.238.52:10907
TS Download: Here

And be sure to thank @Shiny when you see him.
I'm up for it! I'm in the midsouth area (Memphis river area) and would be happy to support!

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
If you are interested in joining us and helping Splatoon be a bigger and better community, please apply in this form:

Splatoon Community Organizer Application
I just wanted to let anyone that had applied with interest in joining that we have a second thread now asking for applications. Rather than redirect you there, I just edited the OP to allow people to apply in the link I've quoted here. Thanks for your support and interest.

Chhipz

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Chhipz
I've followed esports for a very long time, and have played shooters competitively for just as long. I've also done commentary for multiple online game tournaments and people loved it. I'd love to do so for Splatoon tournaments (not sure if there's even a spectator feature though). Used to be a content creator for MMOBomb and you can look up their old first look video previews of MMO games and find me commentating most of them. If I get my capture card working again I could help with twitch streaming/ content creation as well.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I've followed esports for a very long time, and have played shooters competitively for just as long. I've also done commentary for multiple online game tournaments and people loved it. I'd love to do so for Splatoon tournaments (not sure if there's even a spectator feature though). Used to be a content creator for MMOBomb and you can look up their old first look video previews of MMO games and find me commentating most of them. If I get my capture card working again I could help with twitch streaming/ content creation as well.
A lot of our efforts are predicated on the inclusion in a decently-implemented way to do coverage and streaming of E-sport spectating. Until that becomes a reality, we are looking for guide-makes, lets players, competitive player narrate their in-game experience, etc. We want to give streamers an inclusive and convenient environment to get more community interaction as well as cross-promotion. Make sure you fill out the application so I have your information close at hand, and be specific about your background (we aren't necessarily super picky, but we need to know if people can fill our holes in knowledge and capabilities)

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Looks like you and I will be handling art! Maybe we could collaborate in the future.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
Looks like you and I will be handling art! Maybe we could collaborate in the future.
Double Post! Squid Shame. ;)

I'm glad to see your interested in joining the community organizers. If you could make sure to fill out the application listed above in the thread, that'd be awesome, and our Content Creator Project leader(s) will contact you about your application. If you both could do that, that would be excellent.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I can do buttons, Youtube and Twitch overlays, headers for tournaments, or pretty much anything needed visually. I submitted an app earlier but just wanted to come by and wish everyone good luck on the project. Really looking forward to Splatoons and having something like this in the works pre-launch is a great idea.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
I can do buttons, Youtube and Twitch overlays, headers for tournaments, or pretty much anything needed visually. I submitted an app earlier but just wanted to come by and wish everyone good luck on the project. Really looking forward to Splatoons and having something like this in the works pre-launch is a great idea.
Its great to have your support. The leader of the Content Creation Project have been notified and you should contacted soon. I can't wait to see what you can do for the community!

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Man I just saw this today, nobody told me ;_;

Anyway, in all seriousness, you have no idea how glad I am to see this thread. In many communities, it's incredibly hard to get people into gear and get them to do things like this, so having a bunch of people decide to do something this organized and this big, and actually follow through is practically unheard of. If we keep going along this path, we'll have no problem being esports in no time :D
That said, I submitted an application, so hopefully I'll be able to help pull my weight in no time at all :)

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
Got bored today and decided to make a stream overlay. I guess you can use this as an example of my work. Will probably make recolors for all the Inkling colors.

Edit: All 6 inkling colors are now available on my Deviantart. Feel free to use them when the game is released!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom