Camp Triggerfish: Analysis and Thoughts

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Did anyone try it in Splat Zones yet? Asking because I'm not touching it with a ten-foot pole. Waiting on Tower Control to give my absolute solid opinion on the map.
It's a decent map for sure, but very sniper oriented. If there's a sniper on the walls above the zone(which you can get to by taking the path at the beginning or past past the cylindrical wooden structure in the middle), it's really hard to take the zone. Thankfully, unlike Arowana Mall chargers can't snipe you unless you're near the zone instead of halfway across the map.

Bombs are also good to use on this map, both for taking out enemies and blowing up the enemy zone to take it. Bomb Rush is particularly fantastic on the map because the zones aren't that big and are easy to take by lobbing bombs since the other zone is literally in throwing distance from your zone. It also keeps enemies out and forces them to flee.

The problem with this map is that there are only two ways to reach the other side, one past the zone and the path where the floodgates are. You can't really sneak in anywhere without being obvious. Even if you do manage to get to the other side to shoot the enemy's zone, alot of times 2-3 of your team are over there, leaving your zone completely undefended.

Overall though I think it's a great map, fairly large and therefore great for charging specials.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I've only played it on Turf War so far but here are a few of my thoughts.

This map favours long ranged weapons big time and also does not favour weapons with a wide spread like Aerospray and Splattershot Jr because there is really hardly any room on the paths to take advantage of it.
The gap between each path is enough for combat but also makes fire fights surprisingly safe if you stay on your side. I mean if you are getting beaten but not quite killed it is very easy to retreat and the opponent can't do anything. Chargers are the exception because of their OHKO properties and (except for squiffers) larger range.

The flood gates mechanic is neat but hardly changes anything in the long run. Personally, I would have preferred it if they were able to be climbed for the entirety of the match. That way at least you would have more options to advance. It is very, very difficult to sneak on this map because your path is so predictable. There is only 1 path to traverse very straight and narrow. That pretty much ruins rollers here because sneaking is what they do best. It also makes point sensors and echolocator pretty usless compared to others.

On the other hand, the paths do make splash walls great. Sprinklers also are pretty capable as well because, if none of the enemy team is around then just throw one over the gap. It works actually quite well. Splat/suction bombs work pretty much eveywhere because they are so verstaile and this map is no excpetion. In terms of specials, Killer Wail and Inkzooka in my opinion are the best here. Inkzooka because it has the range needed for this map and killer wail because it just locks down on the opponents' only way to advance and probably will kill a few as well. Perhaps bomb rush as well to get some sweet coverage on the other side of the gap.

Best weapons I'd say for this map are: .52 gals, .96 gal decos, jet squelchers, splat charger/scope and kelp charger/scope.

Edit: I like this map a lot. I think there is going to have to be a lot of teamwork here. it's not like other maps where everyone can go off and do their own thing. It is large but also confined which I quite like.

Last edited:

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
This is the first map that I purposely equipped Run Speed Shoes. In Splat Zones, I would just book it across that rope bridge. Usually they are distracted by looking at the other side.

Turf War wise, its similar to Kelp dome where you can get 1500-1800 points. I primarily levle multiple equips in Turf Wars, so I like this.

Have not tried Tower Control and I still have to learn this map, but I am loving it so far.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
I found it quite overwhelming for turf wars, not in a terribly bad way but in a 'I literally ran into no one for most of the three minutes of playing.' Also we ironically fought more before the flood gates came down and also after they came out we ended up just inking each others side instead of our own.

Splat Zones is hella fun and I really like it. The gap between the two zones actually isnt that long and I feel like most weapons that don't have abysmal range can effectively reach over it. Its so satisfying to hit/splat squids who are over extending themselves to the edge to shoot me. Its also annoying dealing with 3 bombs coming at you from across the way tho lol. Even then theres enough flanking for close range fighters and perching places to use for long range. However as people learn the maps maybe itll get worse and worse. For now I don't feel like it's that unbalanced. Fingers crossed.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Played it on Tower Control, it feels like a new map tbh. The middle is connected with a pathway and there's a lot more fighting. It's a pretty fun tower control map and p ok for splat zones and turf war

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Yo speak for yourself, this map is a Dynamo's wet dream
It's pretty much only bad for Krak-on-Splat Roller and Octobrush, and even with them Beakons have their uses, it's just that Kraken doesn't really work here (kinda like in Saltspray). I don't think Carbon Roller Deco will be able to do much here because Seeker Rush can't go over gaps, but every other Roller has a sporting chance due to their loadout.

gameonion

Full Squid
NNID
gameonion
Just played the map for the first time in Tower Control, and... I really enjoy it. The weapon range on this map isn't really important imo. Snipers have an advantage, that's for sure, but I played with the Sploosh-o-matic and didn't have any problems either, since the fall-through-platforms are so near to the tower.

I didn't have a chance to play it in Turf-War yet. I wonder if that map really is as horrible as you guys have been describing.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Semi-off topic, but does anyone have an overview image of this map? Need it for a project I'm working on. <_<

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
It's pretty much only bad for Krak-on-Splat Roller and Octobrush, and even with them Beakons have their uses, it's just that Kraken doesn't really work here (kinda like in Saltspray).
Probably should reconsider that statement about the Octobrush a bit, because unlike the Krak-on it can run to the enemy base super fast. (in turf wars, this isn't useful for any other mode but I haven't tried TC so I don't know if it's applicable there or no) And krakens have there uses, just not many. If anything they (krakens) can serve as personal bubbles, but I do agree that the Ocrobrush and the Krak-on aren't as good for this stage as the other rollers are.

Zovnig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zovnig
Switch Friend Code
SW-7684-8628-6291
So far i think it's a little to big. i have had five or six matches and in two of them i never got into any battles with the other team. That's the first time that has happen to me in Splatoon. But hey.. I got a pretty good amount of points and we won those two matches.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Probably should reconsider that statement about the Octobrush a bit, because unlike the Krak-on it can run to the enemy base super fast. (in turf wars, this isn't useful for any other mode but I haven't tried TC so I don't know if it's applicable there or no) And krakens have there uses, just not many. If anything they (krakens) can serve as personal bubbles, but I do agree that the Ocrobrush and the Krak-on aren't as good for this stage as the other rollers are.
Yeah Octobrush is definitely better for this stage than KOSR. It's just that's the most commonly used Roller for some reason. :/

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Finally had a chance last night to play a couple of hours of Tower Control. As others have said, a new map in a way. The tower ride is 3/4 over water. Usually in TC, I am usually the tower sacrifice ( :scared: ) for the team. I can say that having to run circles around the tower to avoid falling was quite funny and fun. Probably the most challenging TC map for unprepared teams. When TC first opened up last night, our team won 4 game knockouts before the other team had a good idea of what was going on, LOL.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
I'm a huge fan of the decentralization--it forces a different type of gameplay that most aren't used to. Except in TC, but whatever. But anyway, I just love how the motion of the map seems to be in a circular pattern and you can more or less predict the two openings that enemies will come from, which will be in easily interceptable places.

Because of these predictable choke points, this gives chargers a time to shine, not to mention all the long, empty corridors. Though, those take some of the wind out of the sails of close range rollers and such, though I've found that the Octobrush (especially with the beacons) is great weapon here... but I'm biased because I kind of main brush.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
This is probably my new favorite map for Splat Zones. I really like how the zones are set up right next to each other, yet are still disconnected, so you can't just easily control both at once without actually getting over to the other side. I found it really enjoyable, and seekers are really great with the long stretch in front of your base to get to your side's zone quickly. (which is good for me since I tend to mostly use .52 Gal Deco in Splat Zones)

As for Turf War...it isn't terrible, but I haven't had much fun with it, it's a bit limited despite being a pretty big map. Your team has to go in the same direction until the gates open, so there isn't really much variety, and you end up being stuck with your teammates most of the time despite how big the map is. (hence, how much room there should be to spread ink and to battle the enemy)

Haven't tried Tower Control yet but I'm excited to based on what everyone here has said.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
Gotta be careful not to fall in the water here!
Surprisingly, Inklings can only swim in ink.

Bleugh, those totem poles give me the creeps.
Aw, I think they're kinda cute!

Apparently they've rebuilt this place tons of times.
Ugh... Indecisive people annoy me...I think.

Ahh, a campsite! Did you bring the marshmallows?
I, uh, sort of already ate them. Heh...

We should go camping here on our day off.
Why camp when I can just be lazy at home?

Marie, got any hot tactical tips for this stage?
Of course! Just, uh, believe in yourself!

Look at all this space! Get ready to run...a lot.
I'd rather just save my energy and use a charger.

We've been battling a long time, but you know...</newpage>
I can't remember a time when Judd wasn't the ref!
Some say he's been reffing since the dawn of time...

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
Yo speak for yourself, this map is a Dynamo's wet dream
How so? Most engagements are at mid to long range. The paths are narrow and the Dynamo Roller has the most range so obviously it would be the best for this map, but it's hardly good. Try dealing with a Sniper staying at a safe distance with the Dynamo Roller. You can't. You can't adapt to it. Someone camps on top of the wall on their side with the E-Liter, good luck getting to them. Only way to flank is around to the front of their base which leaves you in a long corridor in full view of likely half the enemy team, or at least in turf wars. The other way to flank around is by the gates but that again shoves you into a narrow, long corridor with grating below that can easily be guarded by a half decent charger alone.

If anything Carbon Roller seems more practical or at least more adaptable because you might be able to pick off people from afar with Burst Bombs and you actually have movement options through enemy ink.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
every roller loses to a charger in almost every map if you think of it that way. The map has tons of blockades you can take advantage of to stay out of the snipers line of sight, just pay attention. And rollers have to learn how to outmaneuver a charger along with other range fighters anyways, chargers outclass slower rollers anyways on head to head 1v1 fights because of rollers speed and chargers range.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
How so? Most engagements are at mid to long range. The paths are narrow and the Dynamo Roller has the most range so obviously it would be the best for this map, but it's hardly good. Try dealing with a Sniper staying at a safe distance with the Dynamo Roller. You can't. You can't adapt to it. Someone camps on top of the wall on their side with the E-Liter, good luck getting to them. Only way to flank is around to the front of their base which leaves you in a long corridor in full view of likely half the enemy team, or at least in turf wars. The other way to flank around is by the gates but that again shoves you into a narrow, long corridor with grating below that can easily be guarded by a half decent charger alone.

If anything Carbon Roller seems more practical or at least more adaptable because you might be able to pick off people from afar with Burst Bombs and you actually have movement options through enemy ink.
Although linear, all of the paths are actually extremely wide and open except in the immediate middle, allowing for plenty (local) flanking options. Because the map is relatively flat and continuous, Dynamos are really mobile and fast through unturfed ground or enemy ink by effective flick dashing. Virtue to the fact that there are a lot of entrances between the 2 functional sides of the map, there are a lot of ambush options to take out inattentive chargers. Taking/forcing people out on the wall is trivial as a Dynamo as well once you're close enough (and it's extremely difficult killing people if you're on top of the wall yourself and they're immediately below you hugging the wall). Also thanks to the long range, you are very well capable of reaching the other half of the map fairly easily even from atop of the wall of your own side, while other rollers are relatively strictly confined except for bombs and sprinklers. Additionally, there are a lot of un-inkable walls you can take cover behind and hide from chargers while the Dynamo is able to flick above and over those walls, taking whatever is behind them (splat zone or a hiding enemy). Lastly, what the Dynamo can't accomplished can be done with a well-rolled Splat Bomb.

I still kinda suck on the map currently because it's new and fairly intricate, but so far Dynamo feels really comfortable on it. Haven't faced a (good) charger on it yet though, neither in TW nor ranked. But I'm fairly optimistic honestly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom