Camp Triggerfish: Analysis and Thoughts

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
In turf wars it almost seems like a bit of a race, both teams trying to go as far as they can in on the main path in order to flank and wreak havoc while the other does everything in their power to stop them. If one team manages to get across, it becomes very difficult to gain the advantage back even with the open floodgates.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Yea tbh, I haven't had issues with chargers on this map....yet.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
lmao Splat Zones on this map is the best. Disruptors with Bomb Distance Up, I can throw across to the other side, find where they are and slow them down, and then a Gal or a Charger can snipe them off, makes for a very easy win. Assuming my team knows what they're doing which they usually don't.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
All these comments on this map's Splat Zones make me wonder if I should at least give the mode another shot. Then again it's a 50-50 shot of getting the map and I'm dangerously close to dropping out of A-, and I generally found annoyance in Splat Zones anyway.

I will say that I have a lot of fun on the map in Tower Control, though.

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yea tbh, I haven't had issues with chargers on this map....yet.
Probably helps there are places to hide behind where they can't get you unless they take a radically different angle. Even then, jumping and Burst Bombing them should keep them busy until they get splatted or leave. It's especially great to take them out while they're busy focusing on the other side if you both happen to be on the same bridge.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
So far I love this map and it rocketed right on top of my favorite map list. It plays very different from the other maps, as there is no real center area. There is the part where the zones are, but in Turf War that's actually no big point of interest. I also like how big and open some parts are, they give great opportunites to engage in 1on1 fights.

My view might be distorted a little bit, though, because the very first time I played this map was in SZ and I went 12-0, got a quad kill and my team won 0-100. Best first impression of a map ever :D

Last edited:

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
This is a very interesting map though a bit linear for most of the game. I prefer the Ranked version where the gates are down, although it does bring the question of why don't more maps utilize a gimmick? Thinking about it, it would've been cool to have a boat doing a figure-8 around Bluefin Depot which you can ink and use as a bridge between sections. Ah well. I find it works alright in Turf War but can EASILY become one-sided if a team wins in the range department (or has a charger). Splat Zones.... meh. As for strats...

I will say this, RUSH. ENEMY. TERRITORY. Don't bother with your base at first. Taking control of the right area in the opponent's base will give you an upper hand. Plus, it's wise to have 2 people on their side to protect your right area. The other two should be providing covering fire. Squelchers, it's important for you to take out anyone that may be rushing your right area. Regular and Dual can reach the other side just fine so don't worry about range too much. It's been working for me (a Dual Squelcher main) a lot and the advantage is nice to have. Just be sure you keep an eye on your right area.

MickX

Inkster Jr.
To me Camp Triggerfish is very fun, played on both Splat Zones and Tower Control. It feels there's a lot of room for tactical maneuvering with your team, like for instance choosing to have your team split to fight/defend both zones at once, or have a Beakon user like an Octobrush pierce through the enemy's zone and lead their team into the offense with the Beakons the player put around (particularly valuable since it's a long way to the enemy's side). It feels like one of those maps where coordinated teams could perform some really nice plays all around!

Reset Bomb Jigglypuff

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Yayforall
I'm curious on potential strats for the lowering gates. It's something we need to figure out how to take advantage of.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
I'm curious on potential strats for the lowering gates. It's something we need to figure out how to take advantage of.
Well one of the things I've been doing is if you ink the top of them you can squid jump to get across the glass faster than just walking. Momentum :)

Recettear

Full Squid
NNID
anrakutei
Although linear, all of the paths are actually extremely wide and open except in the immediate middle, allowing for plenty (local) flanking options. Because the map is relatively flat and continuous, Dynamos are really mobile and fast through unturfed ground or enemy ink by effective flick dashing. Virtue to the fact that there are a lot of entrances between the 2 functional sides of the map, there are a lot of ambush options to take out inattentive chargers. Taking/forcing people out on the wall is trivial as a Dynamo as well once you're close enough (and it's extremely difficult killing people if you're on top of the wall yourself and they're immediately below you hugging the wall). Also thanks to the long range, you are very well capable of reaching the other half of the map fairly easily even from atop of the wall of your own side, while other rollers are relatively strictly confined except for bombs and sprinklers. Additionally, there are a lot of un-inkable walls you can take cover behind and hide from chargers while the Dynamo is able to flick above and over those walls, taking whatever is behind them (splat zone or a hiding enemy). Lastly, what the Dynamo can't accomplished can be done with a well-rolled Splat Bomb.

I still kinda suck on the map currently because it's new and fairly intricate, but so far Dynamo feels really comfortable on it. Haven't faced a (good) charger on it yet though, neither in TW nor ranked. But I'm fairly optimistic honestly
Anybody who's attentive while perched up on the wall won't even let you get near them, and that's the problem. The only flanking route is either directly in front of their base, or on a grating where you're as good as dead if anybody with a weapon sees you. Worse yet, it's right within the line of sight of where the charger would be if they were on the wall.

I've tried using rollers and other weapons on the map and when you get placed against a good, attentive sniper, it's nearly impossible to get close to them. There's only one effective way for rollers to get close to you on the wall is through that one flanking route and it's easily guardable if you check up on it every so often. That's what I do when I use a charger on the wall, and it's really easy.

Besides, if you do get up close to them and they notice you, depending on which charger they have (usually an e-liter) they can jump down and try to shoot from there. Worse yet if they're using a splatterscope/splat charger they could just spam splat bomb rush and catch you off-guard if you're not ready for it.

If you're up against a good charger that provides good support on this map with a roller then good luck. You're probably going to spend the rest of the match trying to work around that one player.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Anybody who's attentive while perched up on the wall won't even let you get near them, and that's the problem. The only flanking route is either directly in front of their base, or on a grating where you're as good as dead if anybody with a weapon sees you. Worse yet, it's right within the line of sight of where the charger would be if they were on the wall.
Yeah, this squares with my experience with a Splatterscope. I had it so easy that my mind wandered and my team still won an easy knockout. E-Liters are so, so annoying here, too.
Still, I've had a weird amount of luck going up the flank route with Octobrush.

I've tried using rollers and other weapons on the map and when you get placed against a good, attentive sniper, it's nearly impossible to get close to them. There's only one effective way for rollers to get close to you on the wall is through that one flanking route and it's easily guardable if you check up on it every so often. That's what I do when I use a charger on the wall, and it's really easy.
There is another path, though it's far from easily accessible; going around to the enemy team's floodgates and coming around from the back. It hasn't always worked (sometimes I get splatted by someone who's respawned and is going back to the center), but when it does I can take out Chargers with ease and establish control of that side's Splat Zone basically by myself (though help is much appreciated, and probably necessary for keeping it). Those might not have been good Chargers though.

Besides, if you do get up close to them and they notice you, depending on which charger they have (usually an e-liter) they can jump down and try to shoot from there. Worse yet if they're using a splatterscope/splat charger they could just spam splat bomb rush and catch you off-guard if you're not ready for it.
True on the Splat Charger, but they're kinda helpless if you get close with a close-range weapon on this map (at least in my experience, closing the gap with an Octobrush leads to Chargers dropping like flies).

On the subject of bringing Chargers to camp, are the Squiffers good here? I know their range isn't the greatest, but they charge fairly quickly and are still a 1-shot splat, so they must at least be decent, yeah?

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
I will say this, RUSH. ENEMY. TERRITORY. Don't bother with your base at first. Taking control of the right area in the opponent's base will give you an upper hand. Plus, it's wise to have 2 people on their side to protect your right area. The other two should be providing covering fire. Squelchers, it's important for you to take out anyone that may be rushing your right area. Regular and Dual can reach the other side just fine so don't worry about range too much. It's been working for me (a Dual Squelcher main) a lot and the advantage is nice to have. Just be sure you keep an eye on your right area.
This times a million. If you don't hurry up to the closest entry point to the opposing team's side, they will make it before you, and it can be incredibly hard to recover once a couple enemies are near your spawn. That point alone is what redeems some of the rollers on this map; specifically the Octobrush and the Carbon Roller can quickly forge a path to the drop point before your opponents can shut down the bridge with chargers. Of course, dropping onto the enemy side is always gonna be pretty YOLO, but you seriously have to take that chance in order to cut off their infiltrators. I had pretty good success with the Carbon; after inking up the space near their floodgates, I would drop and quickly cut off their central bridge. As long as I had backup, I could usually sneak away and take a ton of turf by our own floodgates really quickly, then return to defend the central bridge. If your team can succeed with this strategy, it's relatively unlikely that the enemy will be able to mount a counteroffensive in the last minute when their gates drop. This is especially true if you can ink the turf on the side of their pond, because for some reason no one ever wants to spend the time to take that turf back, and even if they do it'll waste a whole lot of someone's time.

Floati

Inkster Jr.
Just cause rollers can work on this stage, doesn't mean they're good on the stage. Take any roller and put them on any other stage (can't think of an exception) and they'd have better match ups across the board. Chargers should have their good stages though. Might have to take up octobrush here (beacons), despite much preferring the inkbrush. Maybe there is a wall that kraken can exploit... prob nothing too useful though.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
This map is my favorite map.
I just love the way its like a giant circle with teams going round and round and round eachother.

I normally hate ranked mode, mostly for stupid reasons, but anywho most fun I've had in both ranked modes has been on this map.
and I finally got out of B rank and into B+ thanks to this map. Didn't think I would either because it was in rotation with kelp dome and that map is my worst map for splat zones. But yea, really enjoyable map and just love everything about it. ^w^

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador

If you're up against a good charger that provides good support on this map with a roller then good luck. You're probably going to spend the rest of the match trying to work around that one player.
I experimented a bit yesterday. You can actually throw bombs (splat or suction) on top of the enemy wall from your side with a bit practice (fairly reliably even once you get the timing down) from your "entrance" of the middle (which has an upwards ramp, so you're functionally protected until you arrive) and force them down or just take them out entirely. Then use the moment of confusion to approach their side and take over or w/e

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
This map is great for Tower Control. The path is easy to follow and see, it's more difficult to just jump off/on constantly to avoid Suctions and Snipers and there are plenty of directions to mount an attack/defense of the tower from.

But Splat Zones and Turf Wars are horrid. Splat Zones is the ultimate choker. Once a team controls both points it's almost impossible to even get near them. There needs to be a path that goes around the wall and puts you to the outer side of your team's zone. Otherwise they can hide behind the blocks placed there and insta-Splat any shorr or mid ranged player that tries to come around.

And the gates make being trapped in your base a common occurrence in Turf Wars. Their placement is just... Not that good. If there were multiple gates that prevented movement TOWARD the base instead of AWAY then I would like the idea, as it is it just seems to help opponents harass your base without recompense.

tokyodown

Full Squid
NNID
Tokyodown
Major emphasis on building special, considering special is one of the only ways to consistently get a ranged kill on this map. It also makes super jump critical just from a positional standpoint. Staying alive is way more crucial to a teams success tha. k/D And as everyone as pointed out, the only ways to manuever the map take forever, which in turn make mid-range battles (at mid, primarily) and sneak tactics much more important. I'm not a huge fan of this map because of the paths to engagements is small. Only one real path gets you all the way around the map. And it's impossible to make it over to the opponents base, but I'm sure we'll find ways around that as the game develops.

But as I pointed out, special wins players this map from what I've seen, so pick your special accordingly.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Major emphasis on building special, considering special is one of the only ways to consistently get a ranged kill on this map. It also makes super jump critical just from a positional standpoint. Staying alive is way more crucial to a teams success tha. k/D And as everyone as pointed out, the only ways to manuever the map take forever, which in turn make mid-range battles (at mid, primarily) and sneak tactics much more important. I'm not a huge fan of this map because of the paths to engagements is small. Only one real path gets you all the way around the map. And it's impossible to make it over to the opponents base, but I'm sure we'll find ways around that as the game develops.

But as I pointed out, special wins players this map from what I've seen, so pick your special accordingly.
Getting to the opponent's base is justifiably difficult considering how difficult it is for them to come back from it once it happens.
Turf is basically a brutal tug-of-war of players trying to make it across while stopping their opponents from doing the same, and frankly I find that exhilirating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom