Camp Triggerfish: Analysis and Thoughts

T.test

Inkling
NNID
T.test
From what I've seen in low level lobbies (new C-ranked player here), an odd situation that happens way too often is both teams controlling the enemy splat zone, but not their own. The main ramp to the closer zone is a major bottleneck and the route up the billboard can be easily accounted for. Conversely, the path through the floodgates is usually poorly guarded until players get near the splatzone on the enemy side. Overall, I feel that it is somewhat easier to attack the opposite splatzone than to defend your own.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
I've only been able to play it a couple of times on turf war because I don't play too often and when i do, it's never been in the rotation, and I hate how hard it is to make approaches to the enemy base when the floodgates are down. I still think Bluefin Depot is my least favorite map, because I haven't played about as many matches on this one

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Here's a video that shows that you can jump the gap in the middle of the stage.

I also tried this myself and have only been able to successfully pull it off twice in recon mode.
Huh, that looks pretty useful, mostly for Splat Zones (still haven't seen this on Tower Control yet). I always assumed it could be done, but I had no success. Good to know it's possible.
So, uh, how are Inkbrushes on this map? I've had a modicum (not sure that's the right word... or what a modicum is) of success with the Octobrush, but are Inkbrushes okayish here?

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Huh, that looks pretty useful, mostly for Splat Zones (still haven't seen this on Tower Control yet). I always assumed it could be done, but I had no success. Good to know it's possible.
So, uh, how are Inkbrushes on this map? I've had a modicum (not sure that's the right word... or what a modicum is) of success with the Octobrush, but are Inkbrushes okayish here?
With proper covering fire they can likely cross the crossfire section in the main path with ease thanks to their speed, then ink the area beyond with impunity, fire off a special and then see if a successful base invasion can be done.

Floati

Inkster Jr.
Kind of like the above post- cover fire is much more necessary on this course than any other... It's all about the gap and lack of flanking options/cover. I honestly feel like it's my worst course as an inkbrush main.

Mr. Kibbles

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Script_Raider
Okay, this is a big map with two unsafe ways to reach the other side. One only being available to the opposing team until it goes both ways at the last minute. Lets just accept that, and look at what tools we could be using. I do not advocate an offensive strategy in Turf Wars for this map because I believe it wouldn't be consistent enough, but this is merely my own opinion of whats most effective:
1) The first thing that comes to mind is beacons. My god are beacons a god send. Walking is a pain - especially if your a gatling or charger player. There are plenty of nooks and crannies to place a beacon, and you will want one close to the floodgate areas when they go down to keep the pressure up when you push in the late game.
2) The second thing that comes to mind is suppressive fire. This will most likely be the game half your team wants to play. One person should cut off the narrow walkways because it hinders the progress of the enemy and keeps them from their respective floodgate drop which you can't access yourself until the game is nearly over (this can be done simply by covering the wall that leads to it). One player should prioritize covering the areas leading to the ramps that go to your side - it's better to stop them there because from my experience most players have a special saved for when they are exposed on the grates. That player should also aim for the top of the walls because chargers favor them to pick your team off.
3) The third thing is having a designated painter and sentinel. This map is big, and having your side filled before the flood gates are open is vital. Rollers do have a purpose, and on this map it really should only be supportive until the last minute of the game. I recommend the Kraken Roller because you have beacons that can be placed down to help your team move about and the Kraken is good for emergencies. If you can do it early enough it helps to lay it down in the floodgate the enemy can't reach so your team can get ready for the last minute push. The sentinel needs to watch the grates at all times and stay in cover. Staying alive can mean the difference between holding your side or getting an enemy beacon set up on your side.
4) Push the enemy side hard once the floodgates drop. This is where beacons on the roof of the floodgate are welcome. If your roller did a good job the enemy will have too much ink to cover on your side, and more to loose on theirs because they tried to be offensive against your wall.

This map is annoying without a defensive strategy and it is what has worked for me. Take it with a grain of salt, and give any counter examples, thoughts etc.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I got to say, I don't like the map in Turf Wars with the floodgates up. It makes it near impossible to defend when one guy manages to get in that unreachable area, and the only way to keep them from reaching it is with a long range weapon, making most weapons without Inkzookas pretty much useless at that job. It might have to do with the fact that my playstyle is purely defensive, but Nintendo did promise a game that allows you to play however you liked, and so far 2 maps don't really live up to that (I'm looking at you, Saltspray Rig) :confused:

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Camp Triggerfish????
What's that?? only kidding.

I remember the stage rotation just kept switching to only Saltspray rig, Urchin Underpass, and Walleye Warehouse constantly.

I really like Camp Triggerfish. I like the design; Although when the gates are up it does start to feel a bit more pressuring, but there are no issues with the stage for me.

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
Dude was able to get on the totem in this stage for Rainmaker. Check his latest video on his YouTube channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom