Carbon Roller Deco: Discuss.

Lynnie

Inkling
In this thread we discuss carbon roller deco, gear builds for it, team comps surrounding it, and general discussing the (no bias) best weapon in the franchise.

Marinaraida

Inkling
.5 sub saver is an interesting build, the only threshold i can see is 5 flicks after double burst bomb?? Imo running 3 is the max you should be running because its 4 flicks for a double burst bomb and you are sacrificing a significant amount of slots for that
you're movin slow af with this. and even with scu you aren't getting zookas. maybe fit some scu in there.
This advice is pretty helpful, especially as I don't dig too deep into ability points. I'll definitely be making some changes, I'll let you guys know how it goes

Lynnie

Inkling
This advice is pretty helpful, especially as I don't dig too deep into ability points. I'll definitely be making some changes, I'll let you guys know how it goes
sendou.ink is a great resource to optimise your builds, i recommend looking at some top carbon builds if you intend to try and improve it further

Funky_Eevee

Full Squid
As someone who has played carbon at a comp level (and now high level within it) and have played carbon deco for about 5 years now I'm going to break down some of these builds for you. Some of the builds here are on the right track but you would never see me run any special charge whatsoever. I will post my builds at the end as well.
1. @Lynnie
1706759196843.png

This build is solid, but one thing I would like to talk about is the Sub Power Up. having played with SPU on my builds on and off over the past 5 years it really hasn't been all that helpful, the effects aren't that potent and you're just better off running more swimspeed (.2 spu -> .2 ssu) or putting in a 3rd qsj sub + .1 extra ssu. I wouldn't add more ink saver sub because .1 is a benchmark for 1 more flick and to get any more flicks out of it requires too much (as we will see later). You may think "Oh well I can run Ink Recovery Up instead that will help." No that ability curve is awful so you need to invest a lot into it to see any difference and by that point you're gonna be missing out on more important abilities.
2. @silly
1706759458895.png

Also a solid set of builds, a popular iteration of the qr builds runs no ns and I think thats fine as long as you're comfortable with it.

3. @MMOToaster
1706759545701.png

I mean, its a build? but uh. Opening Gambit, Carbon is NOT a weapon where facerushing is a viable strategy later on or at the start of the game, because of the distinct paint patterns carbon has the enemy team will know where you are at the start of the game, and the weapon doesn't get a lot of assists like say, neo machine would. Thermal Ink, Carbon is a 1-shot weapon why. Too much iss and sub power is bad for reasons stated above

4. @Marinaraida
1706759872787.png

Too much iss for reasons above, special power isnt helpful on zooka and only 1 sub only gives you .2s longer, .029 larger dmg radius, and .0773 larger paint radius, that makes no difference in an actual game. Special saver is nice as a utility sub, however adding multiple will get in the way of other more useful abilities. Special charge is a no-no with only 190p for zooka carbon can get it's special a fair amont each game if you aren't feeding the entire game with it. Burst bombs passively help a lot, and if you keep your eye on the special gage there will be times where you will be close to zooka and can intentionally chose to paint for it instead of running in right then.

Alright, finally it's time for my builds
1706760422148.png

The Gold Standard is the one I use 90% of the time, I like the extra 3rd qsj as it lets me escape a surprising amount more than just .2, I hit the benchmark with .1 iss and my utility subs are there for all of the general qualities they bring, Only running 1.2 ssu may be a confusing choice at first but I find I move fast enough even with the NS to get where I want to go quickly enough.

The other 2 are variations of a qr build one may choose to run, and the deciding factor do anyone who chooses to use one of them is really just "do I want to respawn .2 seconds faster or do I want the benefits of .1 iss and .1 extra qsj (8 frames faster)?"

If you have any questions fire away, as I said at the top I play carbon deco at a high level in comp and have played it for a long time!

silly

Inkster Jr.
@Funky_Eevee How do you feel about bomb defense? I usually have an alt build w a sub of bdef on it but I find it's too matchup specific to run regularly. I only really use it when I'm against Vslosh or like a stamp/splash comp that's gonna chip me a lot

Funky_Eevee

Full Squid
@Funky_Eevee How do you feel about bomb defense? I usually have an alt build w a sub of bdef on it but I find it's too matchup specific to run regularly. I only really use it when I'm against Vslosh or like a stamp/splash comp that's gonna chip me a lot
I like to run .1 always its still useful for avoiding some damage from any bombs when sharking which can be a deciding factor on whether you win, lose, or trade the interaction

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
not who you were pinging ofc but you might also want to consider that sub resist reduces the length of point sensor, marker and mine tracking effects on you. at least if you're playing solo id have a sub on you.

silly

Inkster Jr.
not who you were pinging ofc but you might also want to consider that sub resist reduces the length of point sensor, marker and mine tracking effects on you. at least if you're playing solo id have a sub on you.
Good point, but don't really mind being marked that much, I just have to switch up my playstyle. Especially in a meta where sensor weapons aren't that common and I usually have to wait for cooler before pushing anyways. In my experience bdef just doesn't come into play often enough for me to warrant using it over more ssu but I could be wrong.

plantknowsyourlocation

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-7194-5500-0728
Good point, but don't really mind being marked that much, I just have to switch up my playstyle. Especially in a meta where sensor weapons aren't that common and I usually have to wait for cooler before pushing anyways. In my experience bdef just doesn't come into play often enough for me to warrant using it over more ssu but I could be wrong.
if you're getting enough value out of the single sub of ssu, iss, qsj, or whatever else you're using in place of where a sub resist could be, then it's worth it. but i would consider the value you're getting from your alternative option.

Retro_Wolf

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3631-4982-0610
These are my current builds for carbon. Any suggestions? (the left build is for tacticooler comps but I am not super experienced in it)
Screenshot (335) (1).png

Last edited:

silly

Inkster Jr.
if you're getting enough value out of the single sub of ssu, iss, qsj, or whatever else you're using in place of where a sub resist could be, then it's worth it. but i would consider the value you're getting from your alternative option.
my philosophy with roller builds since splatoon 1 isn't "how much ssu should I be running" it's "how little of everything else can I afford to run for more ssu." Even if it's just a slight increase in movement it's worth it. I still like bdef just situationally

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom