• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Clothing Buffs/Effects And Their Effect On Competitive Play

How Should Gear Work At LAN/Competitive

• Total voters

Xeiros

Senior Squid
It has nothing to do with having faith or believing a feature will be in the game. Surely they're just biding their time as the late May release draws closer. They're just waiting to announcement all the modes and options everyone wants. LAN must be in the game! They're just being tight-lipped about its inclusion. Yeah! Same thing for two player online, co-op for Hero Mode, and every other bell and whistle you can think of! That must be it. Any day now they'll confirm my wishlist!

There are no bots. There is no voice chat. There is no two player online. There is no LAN. What? You say more options would be better? I'd agree if implementing more features didn't cost a great deal of additional development time and money. You want the game to have everything, but are unable to reconcile those desires with the reality of what you're actually getting. Accept the game as it actually is not as you wish it to be.

Going back to your ridiculous active perk nonsense. Were you aware there are clothing pieces with more than one of the exact same perk on them? Do you understand how worthless they'd be under such a terrible system? I should hope so. Do you grasp how it would kill any of the value of a progressive coolness system as long as you had clothing sets that included at least three of every perk in the game? How you managed to make the leap in logic that only a tiny fraction of the perks on a piece of clothing could actually be active in a match continues to baffle me.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I really really doubt equipment won't be making a difference. I think that was typical Nintendo fashion of overestimating/underestimating thing. Playing online with strangers as teammates will probably make it hard to take full advantage of whatever insane thing you can do with equipment for example.
Well in Pokemon online your leveling becomes pointless online passed level 50 as your reset to that level. Which is why EV and IV training becomes important to get the full potential of the Pokemon.

I could see Nintendo doing this for Splatoon honestly. Keep the clothes but the perks effects are gone. I think it would be dumb and defeat the purpose of the perks, but I wouldn't put it past them. If it would let me customize my squid without worrying about an ideal outfit though, I guess I wouldn't mind.

This is going to definitely be weird for LAN tournaments. Hopefully there will be something to kind of address this when the game's actually out. Someone mentioned this earlier but I think the Amiibo's were a HUUUGE misses opportunity. How are they not used to save our custome inklings similar to the Smash usage?
Right now I think a default no perks set will probably be the better option if there's no other choice. I feel like the perks won't make as much of a difference as we expect except maybe ink saver.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I could see Nintendo doing this for Splatoon honestly. Keep the clothes but the perks effects are gone. I think it would be dumb and defeat the purpose of the perks, but I wouldn't put it past them. If it would let me customize my squid without worrying about an ideal outfit though, I guess I wouldn't mind.
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. The entire point of the perks on the clothes is to give you the perks for online battles.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. The entire point of the perks on the clothes is to give you the perks for online battles.
Simply responding to the idea mentioned earlier questioning if Nintendo said once that the equips don't work online. Theyre obviously not going to do that, but I was just saying I would not be surprised at all if they did considering Nintendo's abysmal track record with online. Maybe one of the casual and competitive online modes support it while the other doesn't.

You're right since the whole point of perks is to use them online, I was just considering the possibility.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
There is no such thing as an active or inactive perk. All unlocked perks on a piece of clothing are active at all times their benefits are applicable. Wait! Why does it only show three on your HUD? Screen real estate. If you'd have put more than no thought at all into it you'd run into a number of issues with your little theory. If only three are actually active in a match what in the world is the point of spending the large amount of time and gold earning clothing with more perks on them?

There would be no actual benefit to purchasing pieces with more perk slots on them. As long as you could get the main three you wanted, the rest of wouldn't matter because the potentially 1-3 extra perks don't actually do anything. Were you aware some pieces of clothing have multiples of the same perk? In fact, I've seen sets with four+ of the same perk. They stack with themselves. When a player is splatted by another it shows them the main weapon, clothing articles along with every perk they're currently using of the one that did them in.
Could you please clarify where you learned that there are no active/inactive perks? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just want to know where you learned it. (insert rhetorical triangle explanation here) Also, there is a reason to buy more gear: aesthetics. Some people want their inkling to look as good as they can. I've seen people prioritize the appearance of their character in videogames over the advantages they would get, as I'm sure you have, hence threads like these, by people who want to have both. You are right about one thing though: as long as you can get the perks you want, any extras wont matter, but having more slots available would make it easier to get the perks you want.

That's all assuming that there are active and inactive perks though.

One last point I want to make. You say that we cant assume that the game has LAN because it hasn't been announced. However, that argument can be inverted to say that we can't assume it wont have it because it hasn't been confirmed not to have it.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Also, what about the amiibo exclusive stuff? Will they be worth it in terms of stats or not? Because that might create gaps if there is a huge advantage gap for those that have the amiibo and those that don't.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Going back to your ridiculous active perk nonsense. Were you aware there are clothing pieces with more than one of the exact same perk on them? Do you understand how worthless they'd be under such a terrible system? I should hope so. Do you grasp how it would kill any of the value of a progressive coolness system as long as you had clothing sets that included at least three of every perk in the game? How you managed to make the leap in logic that only a tiny fraction of the perks on a piece of clothing could actually be active in a match continues to baffle me.
Still waiting for the proof of this, which I asked you (in a way far more polite than you deserve) to supply. And for you to stop acting like a jerk about the whole thing, but that seems less likely every time I read one of your posts.

Oh, and a friendly heads up: You may wanna change your avatar before an admin gets on you about it. Animated avatars are against the rules.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
While I'm optimistic for LAN, Other game modes, and more online capabilities, I can understand the skepticism regarding their inclusion (or lack thereof).

Though nothing's really set in stone, so we'll hopefully get more information soon enough

DaKid

Pro Squid
Looking at the gameplay videos, stat boost look very, very subtle borderline unnoticeable which I'm happy about.

Setu

I think half of the fun of the game will be showing off your clothing customization, or at least for random matches online.

Frisky Boots

Inkling
NNID
Bazaar
Thinking about it, I do think it will depend on if any of the perks are game breaking, but I do believe they should be available. I'm sure there are ways to counterplay builds and things like that. Things like runes and masteries in LoL don't change the world since they are minor buffs. I feel like based on custom equipment previously, they will have debuffs as well. So I think it will be totally fine.

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
On a side note, y'all are so adorable for thinking Splatoon has LAN. It doesn't.
Eh? You insult people for assuming the game has LAN, which is categorically untrue. While all of us hope its in the game hope there is a LAN feature the vast majority, if not all, of us are aware that it is not a given that the game comes with such a feature, as the OP says this an entirely hypothetical discussion. So while you are not only clearly being a **** you are also being a hypocrite as you yourself assuming the game doesn't have LAN because there is yet to be confirmation one way or another regarding LAN.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
Oh Xeiros, you haven't changed since the beta forums. :)

Like DaKid said perks seem to be pretty miniscule. I've been watching tons of gameplay and I haven't seen anything that makes me worried about them yet. I'm guessing perks along the likes of Ink Saver will be the most beneficial to run and even then the boosts will only be so noticable, so players that really want to customize their squid to their liking don't have to make a compromise.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
If the Wii U's being used at tournaments have online connection, we could sign in to our nnid's which (hopefully) will keep all of our custom classes saved. That could solve any problems of not having certain things unlocked on the Wii U's being used. In terms of leveling, i think its fair to enter a tournament with any level equipment. It wouldn't be ideal to enter a tournament if the equipment is completely under powered.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
If the Wii U's being used at tournaments have online connection, we could sign in to our nnid's which (hopefully) will keep all of our custom classes saved. That could solve any problems of not having certain things unlocked on the Wii U's being used. In terms of leveling, i think its fair to enter a tournament with any level equipment. It wouldn't be ideal to enter a tournament if the equipment is completely under powered.
you sir are a genius

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I'm pretty sure you can't just sign into your NNID from any Wii U, only yours. If there is a way, it's probably a long hassle. The best hope for this strategy would be that new account system Nintendo is introducing this fall.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
I'm pretty sure you can't just sign into your NNID from any Wii U, only yours. If there is a way, it's probably a long hassle. The best hope for this strategy would be that new account system Nintendo is introducing this fall.
I forgot about their new system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom