• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Clothing Buffs/Effects And Their Effect On Competitive Play

How Should Gear Work At LAN/Competitive

• Total voters

DigDeep

Senior Squid
Account system, sorry if my wording was misleading! Nintendo announced a few months back they're teaming up with Japanese mobile developer DeNA to bring new games to smart phones and revamp their account system. They're going to allow you to create an account that essentially does what your NNID does but the new account will be able to be logged into and (I believe) play games across multiple platforms such as all current Nintendo systems, tablets, and PC.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
oh, I heard about them going into mobile gaming, didn't know they were redoing the account system

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Honestly, it is hard to say without seeing the perks, but if you did really want it to be fair game, then no perks at all would be the better option. There's no doubt in my mind that some perks will be more beneficial than others. If everyone had the same perks, that would be absolutely fine. It would still be fair if everyone's perks were identical. If that isn't possible, I do think it should be purely aesthetic, otherwise we will end up with an imbalance. Of course, there's also the possibility that perks will barely change anything, but sometimes a slight difference can be enough, so it is difficult to say with certainty.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I am concerned to see if the Amibo gear is going to be P2W status or not. Which is why I pre-ordered them. Gonna test those suckers out.

QuickLava

Inkling
Honestly I'm more worried that people will decide that a single set of clothing is the best, stopping all other clothes from being used in competitive play.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
Honestly I'm more worried that people will decide that a single set of clothing is the best, stopping all other clothes from being used in competitive play.
i believe people will be able to pick and choose gear they want and it will still be fine. shoes, shirt, hat have 1 set and 1 hidden. i believe the balance will be not to stack but to diversify forcing use of different gear depending on build you're using.

run speed and strength will really be the only ones i care about anyway ha. you'll see me ink rolling around smashing regardless of what other people pick.

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
Still waiting for the proof of this, which I asked you (in a way far more polite than you deserve) to supply. And for you to stop acting like a jerk about the whole thing, but that seems less likely every time I read one of your posts.

Oh, and a friendly heads up: You may wanna change your avatar before an admin gets on you about it. Animated avatars are against the rules.
If you go on to the Splatoon Global Testfire and hit the home button and open the Manuel you can see under page 13: Gear, section 3: Extra Abilities that it says "Additional abilities gained by earning experience for your gear. Their effects are weaker than the base ability."
That should be more than enough proof that all the perks will be active.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
If you go on to the Splatoon Global Testfire and hit the home button and open the Manuel you can see under page 13: Gear, section 3: Extra Abilities that it says "Additional abilities gained by earning experience for your gear. Their effects are weaker than the base ability."
That should be more than enough proof that all the perks will be active.
Yes, now it is. At the time he said it, I hadn't seen anything of the sort, so I was waiting for him to supply proof of what he claimed.

I ended up being wrong, which is fine. Doesn't change the fact the way he went about it was incredibly poor.

Gis4Gamer

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Gis4Gamer
Yes, now it is. At the time he said it, I hadn't seen anything of the sort, so I was waiting for him to supply proof of what he claimed.

I ended up being wrong, which is fine. Doesn't change the fact the way he went about it was incredibly poor.
You got that right. Even if they are right that doesn't mean they can be a jerk.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
hopefully with the announcement of private lobbies being patched in in august, the devs are willing to create some kind of LAN mode that lets you pick from all the weapons and perks in the game. honestly, that'd be the best course of action since players can still choose no perks if they find it uncompetitive, choose from prebuilt loadouts, or use whatever they desire

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
generally I'd say that anything that adds to the strategic diversity should be allowed within reason. forcing default clothing is kind of over the top; I can see the argument behind banning the souped-up custom noise with 4 skills or whatever, but if there's any level of consistency in the way the perks on clothing work (i.e. each piece of clothing will always have the same base perk), they can easily be allowed and set up in advance in the event of a LAN.

if something is completely overpowered, then that's not really much different than forcing default clothing in effect.

also I'd like to mention that banning things in a shooter is generally not the way to go unless something makes the game less competitive or less fun; outright bans early on, especially bans on core mechanics, tend to be harmful in the long run. I guess we have until august anyway, so as long as nobody rushes to a knee-jerk decision it should be fine

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That is my fear as well. Hoping online to have some fun only to find everyone wearing the same thing will be... saddening. If that happens, I hope Nintendo can patch the game to tune down the perks or something. That said, it still too early to worry about this, better wait for the game to be released first. I personally refuse to dress my squid with perks and not fashion in mind, but I am not exactly the most competitive person in the world.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
We have to consider how effective a main perk is in relation to a sub perk. And how effective sub perks will be. Also, with re-rolling, you need a special item that it seems that you can only obtain via participating in the Splat Fest, so I highly doubt you will be able to re-roll all your sub-perks to something ideal. And considering how sub perks are random, or at least they seem random (there is the chance that sub perks may be set in stone with certain pieces) I don't think there will be a go-to type of clothing set.

We will also need to determine how effective sub perks are going to be. Considering that you can get 3 sub perks per piece of clothing, and if sub perks don't really do anything noticeable, or if their benefits are so small, then you could very well let sub perks be a thing. Anyways, you probably would end up allowing sub perks, since just because your equipment is one star, you can't really enforce people to use one sub perk because of how you can add additional sub slots to your gear. The good news to this is that you can easily call someone out on their bluff, because if they kill you, you can see their loadout. But I would rather not let a fight break out over cheating and whatnot.

Main perks however, will probably find go-to perks, since their effects are more stronger, and more noticeable. Things such as Ink Saver (Main) might be a huge go-to for a lot of people, as well as Ink Recovery Up. Speed Up perks might also be used a lot. I am curious to see how effective things such as Damage Up and Defense Up are as main perks though. Ink Resistance Up might also be a potential go-to. The good news is that there are so many abilities it may be impossible to get all the ideal ones, forcing people to make decisions as to what they should bring with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom