Competitve Splatoon and spectators.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Games, sports, etc can all be great competitive sports yet some are just not entertaining to a lot of people. It's not exclusive to any particular genre of game either. Mental games like Chess, physical games like football (or soccer), even LoL (and esport) has its fair share of "boring" views towards the competitive scene even though they are all very popular. I don't know why it is like this but here's what I'm asking you now. Is Splatoon going to be labelled as boring or exciting to the wider audience?

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Imagine a team match where 4 people sync their specials one after the other or synergies them.
Or one player completely wipes another team out with some sick moves.

There is certainly going to be moments which would be exciting for me to watch. In fact right now the only thing I'm dreading is that there is no integrated way to spectate other players or replay my matches. I've had some many matches I'd love to be able to rewatch and I'm just scratching the surface when teams play this is going to be a totally different game.

Phrave

Inkling
NNID
Phrave
People seemed pretty hype during the NWC and that was like D+ ranked play. Imagine 4 A+ players all coordinating and having an extremely close splat zone match. I could easily see this being exciting to a wider audience, also would be nice to have some commentators to explain what's going on rather then "ROLLER TO ROLLER" and counting down the last 10 seconds. I'd apply for the commentating job.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
What isn't exciting about kids turning back and forth into squids while shooting eachother?

Really though I think this game will actually be exciting from a spectator's point of view, just give it a pretty stream layout, commentating, and we're good to go. Can definitely see organized tournaments/leagues garnering a solid audience if advertised properly. Game is very fast, there are a lot of crazy plays that can be made, and the game seems to be decently popular already on twitch.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Yeah, it's definitely a pretty exciting game to watch, and with good support for streaming and tournies it'll make for good viewing experiences.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
The big problem is that we have no reliable, quality way to stream online tournaments, which will almost certainly be the most popular way to play. If we had a spectator mode, it has a high potential to be popular for spectators. Otherwise, streams of online tournaments, if they happen at all, will rely on players having capture cards and streaming it themselves

Last edited:

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
The big problem is that we have no reliable, quality way to stream online tournaments, which will almost certainly be the most popular way to play. If we had a spectator mode, it has a high potential to be popular for spectators. Otherwise, streams of offline tournaments, if they happen at all, will rely on players having capture cards and streaming it themselves
That's, kind of what you're supposed to do. That's how tournaments happen in any game you know.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Well, I had a small typo. I meant online tournaments, not offline.

In an online tournament, if there is no spectator mode, then there will be no tournament streams except those from the players themselves. No seeing multiple viewpoints, no commentators, and only able to see a match if one of the players in said match is willing to stream it

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
8 capture cards, 8 Wii U's, 8 copies of Splatoon and 8 monitors = 1 setup for Splatoon if we ever get LAN capabilities. It's ridiculous

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Yikes. Setup would be pretty nasty too since you'd have to go unlocking things.

Dan Ugore

Inkling
NNID
DanUgore
I always imagined participants in a Splatoon tourney would bring their own Wii U + Game. To each their own gear and what not. Setup is still a monster though. Capture cards are pretty expensive to buy in bulk like that. I've never owned one so I don't know how quick they can be hooked up to a Wii U, but you ould have to hook it up to each player going on stream.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
8 capture cards, 8 Wii U's, 8 copies of Splatoon and 8 monitors = 1 setup for Splatoon if we ever get LAN capabilities. It's ridiculous
That same thing happens in all local competitive shooters.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
All of which have a much larger player base than splatoon, therefore more people willing to bring setups

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom