• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Competitve Splatoon and spectators.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
But just think of the professionalism and improved viewer experience if we were to have spectator mode.
Not to mention commentators would have more to talk about if the streamer was able to go to the action every time.

Splatoon is a game where action is always happening, it would be such a shame if the viewer couldn't see all of it constantly.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I don't think we really need spectator mode. Some COD streams just have an indivual player streaming from his own viewpoint.
well if you want splatoon to get competitive and move outside of just random online tournaments, spectator mode would be necessary. And tbh it looked like during the NWC that were using like a spectator mode unless they were all just watching one screen that switched between each players screen

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
well if you want splatoon to get competitive and move outside of just random online tournaments, spectator mode would be necessary. And tbh it looked like during the NWC that were using like a spectator mode unless they were all just watching one screen that switched between each players screen
Yah probably was that. Talking to the people who set up the Splatoon mess fest in Santa Monica, they just had two capture cards and used an HDMI split to switch between the 2 camera views. Hopefully they are working on spectator mode, but I honestly think the community is going to have to ask for it to get made.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Yah probably was that. Talking to the people who set up the Splatoon mess fest in Santa Monica, they just had two capture cards and used an HDMI split to switch between the 2 camera views. Hopefully they are working on spectator mode, but I honestly think the community is going to have to ask for it to get made.
They had four, it was pretty nice.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Where do we start asking though? There aren't too many places where Nintendo would hear us and we'd have to find a large number of people supporting it. Even then we don't know if Nintendo will even take it into account. I mean how long have we been waiting for a new F-Zero.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
I've watched a little bit of A(ish) streams and it does seem pretty damn exciting. I think if the August update goes as well as folks are hoping it will, it will be even better. I find it much more interesting to watch a coordinated group of people, than a bunch of random people, play.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Where do we start asking though? There aren't too many places where Nintendo would hear us and we'd have to find a large number of people supporting it. Even then we don't know if Nintendo will even take it into account. I mean how long have we been waiting for a new F-Zero.
Petition? Mass tweeting/(e)mail? Spamming their customer support lines?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Yah I agree with Chapter Serf, the coordination we'll be able to watch will be super interesting to watch

Corey did say if the community asks for it loud enough they'll do it. I realize he is just from Nintendo Treehouse and not an actual developer, but he at least must understand that Nintendo does look at what the community says.
I mean we have to try, this community and their game would be able to live so much longer if we had those options. I myself plan to host tournaments for Splatoon in August, but it would be so much harder if I needed 4-8 capture cards (that's at least $600 in just capture cards of decent quality) and that might discourage others from hosting Splatoon tourneys as well. I'll talk to the SCO group and hopefully we could get something started, post a thread about it to get people's input for it, and when it's ready just talk to everyone about it. I only know a few of the top Splatoon streamers on Twitch but maybe they can help us get the word out.
And sorry to the OP for getting off topic, but honestly thank you because I think this topic really needed to be talked about.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Yah I agree with Chapter Serf, the coordination we'll be able to watch will be super interesting to watch

Corey did say if the community asks for it loud enough they'll do it. I realize he is just from Nintendo Treehouse and not an actual developer, but he at least must understand that Nintendo does look at what the community says.
I mean we have to try, this community and their game would be able to live so much longer if we had those options. I myself plan to host tournaments for Splatoon in August, but it would be so much harder if I needed 4-8 capture cards (that's at least $600 in just capture cards of decent quality) and that might discourage others from hosting Splatoon tourneys as well. I'll talk to the SCO group and hopefully we could get something started, post a thread about it to get people's input for it, and when it's ready just talk to everyone about it. I only know a few of the top Splatoon streamers on Twitch but maybe they can help us get the word out.
And sorry to the OP for getting off topic, but honestly thank you because I think this topic really needed to be talked about.
No worries. I understand the dilemma. Besides if we don't get the ball rolling nothing will happen. A new thread should be made specifically on the topic and how to raise awareness. I don't believe I am best for the job. I don't really know many streamers or sites to support the campaign but for what its worth I'll certainly pitch in.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Commentators would have to be careful when teammates are in squid form planning a sneak attack, as announcing details of the location or player would give an unfair heads up to the opposition. Aside from that, I can imagine the commentating being awesome fast paced chaos.

Whisp3r

Inkster Jr.
Commentators would have to be careful when teammates are in squid form planning a sneak attack, as announcing details of the location or player would give an unfair heads up to the opposition. Aside from that, I can imagine the commentating being awesome fast paced chaos.
For other shooters or MOBAs, the players usually wear noise cancelling headphones or are in sound proof booths (so they can't hear the crowd/commentary/other team), but if we can't do that we could just put the commentators in another room.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
as the person above me said, this shouldn't be an issue. even if you just give them the cheap like 10 dollar ones they can wear their own personal headphones inside them so they can hear the in game audio/their comms. at the very worst commentators can be in a different room or far enough back that the players can't hear.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
So, where should it be that we push our voice to Nintendo that we want this game to have a big place in computer athletics?

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Everywhere possible, I'd say. Their twitter, miiverse, etc.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Yep, the group will be meeting today and also tomorrow to make the rough drafts. We'll then make a thread probably to show everyone what they are, make last minute fixes with the community input and have the community push them.
Everywhere possible, I'd say. Their twitter, miiverse, etc.
yep, that's what probably needs to happen. So that's what we were going to do

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I really would like to see the game take off more private matches are gonna go a long way i hope you have all the options in private match for gamemodes.

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
I can see Nintendo endorsing this as a competitive game, they've recently supported Smash Bros. events. Plus the thing's a shooter, so it's expected. I'm sure the huge August update will spark online tournaments, on or off a livestream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom