• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Competitve Splatoon and spectators.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
I can see Nintendo endorsing this as a competitive game, they've recently supported Smash Bros. events. Plus the thing's a shooter, so it's expected. I'm sure the huge August update will spark online tournaments, on or off a livestream.
We can only hope soo. Their support would help a lot (especially if it comes in the form of LAN and/or Spectator Mode).

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Yep, the group will be meeting today and also tomorrow to make the rough drafts. We'll then make a thread probably to show everyone what they are, make last minute fixes with the community input and have the community push them.

yep, that's what probably needs to happen. So that's what we were going to do
Is this still WIP?

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Is this still WIP?
Yes it is :)
I know it definitely needs to get done right? So far we have drafts for a lot of social media avenues, and we know how and who to ask to further review it (and by this i mean certain p.
Definitely keep us working hard by checking here and asking us.
edit: at least until we have our own thread x)

Theworstmaker

Inkling
NNID
Theworstmaker
wouldnt spectator mode be an overview of the map or how CSGO does it and shows everyone who is doing something interesting

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
well whatever Nintendo can manage, but yah hopefully they can do that. It'll mean tournaments only need 1 capture card to stream and that online and offline tournaments would be more professional

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Yes it is :)
I know it definitely needs to get done right? So far we have drafts for a lot of social media avenues, and we know how and who to ask to further review it (and by this i mean certain p.
Definitely keep us working hard by checking here and asking us.
edit: at least until we have our own thread x)
I'll do what I can, so I'll keep at it. :P

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Alright so I am going to put this out there so we make sure we keep to the deadline that we assigned to ourselves.
we will be posting our messages onto Reddit, making a Squidboards thread in the (competitive subforum), releasing our other stuff this Monday.
In the off-chance we don't make it in time, it will be soon after,we are going to try our hardest for Monday.
@Poxnixles and everyone else in this thread be ready to get onto all parts of social media, show your support and spread the word. ( But don't tell anyone yet because we haven't released the stuff yet x) )

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
My only question is how it would work with streams. Keeping track of 8 people at once on Twitch, or whatever, would be a nightmare, so it would likely be one person shown... but that doesn't showcse the full game.
I think most shooters stream from one person's perspective. Yeah, it's not exactly ideal but perhaps we could also have the map on the gamepad shown as well to give players what climate of the match.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
My only question is how it would work with streams. Keeping track of 8 people at once on Twitch, or whatever, would be a nightmare, so it would likely be one person shown... but that doesn't showcse the full game.
It depends on if we get a spectator and how it'll work. If it works like other standard shooters, you'll be able to switch between players.
I think most shooters stream from one person's perspective. Yeah, it's not exactly ideal but perhaps we could also have the map on the gamepad shown as well to give players what climate of the match.
There is this amazing thing they do though, it's called switching between players. And the map on the stream would make it all too jumbled not to mention probably impossible to do

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
There is this amazing thing they do though, it's called switching between players. And the map on the stream would make it all too jumbled not to mention probably impossible to do
Impossible? Why is that?
Also it shouldn't be hard at all to make a clean looking, good stream layout that includes both screens.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Impossible? Why is that?
Also it shouldn't be hard at all to make a clean looking, good stream layout that includes both screens.
Impossible was a bad choice for a word, highly unlikely would be better. And that would be because unlike most fps games, it doesn't take anymore resources to get the map to appear on stream. Now if the spectator works how I assume it would work if added to the game, the map would be on the gamepad. Thus you would need to have a camera on the spectator gamepad and then somehow manage to get it onto the stream without having an obnoxious square in the way that could potentially block someone coming up on a player and splatting them.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Impossible was a bad choice for a word, highly unlikely would be better. And that would be because unlike most fps games, it doesn't take anymore resources to get the map to appear on stream. Now if the spectator works how I assume it would work if added to the game, the map would be on the gamepad. Thus you would need to have a camera on the spectator gamepad and then somehow manage to get it onto the stream without having an obnoxious square in the way that could potentially block someone coming up on a player and splatting them.
Don't make the gameplay full screen.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Don't make the gameplay full screen.
So you'd sacrifice the size of the gameplay just to get the map on, brilliant idea. I hope everyone listens to the words of wisdom you have to offer that way competitive splatoon can implode on itself and then when people ask what happened, they can just look to you and realize everything was a bad idea.

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
So you'd sacrifice the size of the gameplay just to get the map on, brilliant idea. I hope everyone listens to the words of wisdom you have to offer that way competitive splatoon can implode on itself and then when people ask what happened, they can just look to you and realize everything was a bad idea.
lmao calm down. Just a suggestion. But I guess I should apologize in advance for utterly ruining the entirety of the competitive Splatoon scene. my b

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I would think that a professional tournament stream that wanted to go the map route would be able to swap from the main full screen format, briefly to a less-sized screen with the gamepad image so the audience gets to know where everyone is, and then switch back to full-screen. It's not a bad idea.
However, I don't even think the map is even necessary if the commentators are good and constantly switching between the different perspectives when the player dies or if there isn't that much action.

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
I would think that a professional tournament stream that wanted to go the map route would be able to swap from the main full screen format, briefly to a less-sized screen with the gamepad image so the audience gets to know where everyone is, and then switch back to full-screen. It's not a bad idea.
However, I don't even think the map is even necessary if the commentators are good and constantly switching between the different perspectives when the player dies or if there isn't that much action.
Which is kind of my point, in cs:go they very rarely pull up a large version of the map unless there is no action going on, other than that they just swap between players perspectives. The only reason the map would even really be necessary is on turf wars or to show how far along one team has traveled with the rainmaker/tower

SlimyQuagsire

Pro Squid
NNID
SlimyQuagsire
Which is kind of my point, in cs:go they very rarely pull up a large version of the map unless there is no action going on, other than that they just swap between players perspectives. The only reason the map would even really be necessary is on turf wars or to show how far along one team has traveled with the rainmaker/tower
That is true-- and if the map only shows the player you're spectating's map, thus not showing players' of both teams' positions, it'd be even less useful. (Or if we don't even get a spectator mode.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom