• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

CuteFish's COMPETITVE Weapon Tier List: Based on Tournaments

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I want to throw out there that bomb range and damage up turn burst bomb weapons into some of the longest range weapons in the game, especially the Splattershot. They become zoning weapons with charger-range Burst Bombs.

I don't want to get into an argument over it because it's my main and I specialize in abusing it, so I am obviously biased. Just know that if you feel that the Splattershot, Carbon Roller, or Neo Splash are low-er tier because of range limitations, I disagree with you because there are loadouts that make that not true.
I understand and already considered that. burst bomb spam is annoying, but it's mainly effective due to people being so unfamiliar with it. it's why elitres get away with spamming bursts at people so much when they really shouldn't. people just sort of stand in burst bombs and don't know what to do.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
This is probably the most respectable Tier List Thread I've seen so far, so I'm going to go ahead and post my tier list here:

*MY TIER LIST*

I''m updating it now so bear with me.

Ours are roughly similar, although I personally feel that the Forge Pro and Dual Squelch belong in A and not S, and I believe the Dynamo is good despite the best teams not maining it at the moment. I also gave everything a Slaying tier and a Support tier, independent of actual tier placement, to give a better illustration of why weapons are where they are. I also consider S and A virtually the same tier as far as effectiveness, with the things in S being what influences weapon choices moreso than A and below.

There are also a few weapons I don't consider S tier, despite good players using them. Paradise uses Jet Squelcher and wins, but that's a case of the player being good and not the weapon IMO. We'll see over time though.

Also @CutestFish - is anyone using the Splattershot at a high level besides me? I've only noticed one other Splattershot in a top 8 and it wasn't running a damage/bomb range build like I do, and I think that's the optimal loadout for the Splattershot. I perfectly agree with its tier placement in A, I'm just wondering why you think it belongs in A, because I don't think anyone else plays the weapon like I do at the moment.
I use the splattershot myself (^o^). I do like the list though @CutestFish. The only thing I would change about it is dual squelcher at S.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
A vote would be stupid. I'm only interested in what the best are using and their thoughts.
Uh, that's what I was implying. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. Top players are, in the end, really the only players who matter much, so their thoughts are the most important to the progression of the metagame because they're the most knowledgeable and experienced with the game.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I believe he said that Kelp is better for TC and normal is better for everything else.
Thanks. The text was a little hard for me to read.

Is the splat roller included? I saw the krak-on, carbon and dynamos but not the splat roller...

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I understand and already considered that. burst bomb spam is annoying, but it's mainly effective due to people being so unfamiliar with it. it's why elitres get away with spamming bursts at people so much when they really shouldn't. people just sort of stand in burst bombs and don't know what to do.
I'm not really talking about spam, but using more precisely to control space at ranges where normal shooters can't fire, and to get assists (and kills) from range in teamfights. If you hit someone with a burst bomb, they die in one shot to pretty much anything, and you yourself can get an easy 2-shot kill if you predict their movement, all at no risk to your own life (even against chargers because you can do it from behind cover). It's because the bomb itself moves way faster at max bomb range so it's way easier to hit someone. It's kinda broken because there is no "weapon range up" to counter it. Way different than an E-Liter using them as a panic button.

But yeah, I'll leave it at that. You're aware of it so it's cool if we disagree.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Overall this tier list (and Hitzel's tier list, too) looks really profound. Good job. I agree especially with the S and A tier decisions, even though there should be an SS tier with the .96 Deco and maybe the 3K Scope only :D These two play in their own league.

reg 96 is S tier because permanent wallhacks are ****ing ridiculous why would it ever not be S tier
Wow, I just noticed I totally slept on the regular .96 since the .96 Deco came out. But you are right, it's really threatening with sprinklers and echo.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
The problem is that the 96 itself is a really unreliable weapon. Your kill time gets butchered with one miss and that thing just straight up loses to its own RNG at mid ranges. I also forgot about it, but without Inkwalls to mitigate its inconsistency, it's less threatening in a "fair" fight IMO.

It's worth thinking about, definitely A-tier now that I think about it more, just not S-tier IMO.

Shroomsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shroomsy
gatling is A tier; it breaks wall stalls very easily and has a wall of its own. people don't use it because they don't know how, that's about it
Can you go into further detail on how it beats walls? I play mostly splatling and the gals equipped with them always give me the most trouble of any weapon (besides competent e-liters).

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
flc thinks gattling is top kek b/c quote "walls are broken, they are op, and this weapon paints wall good."

That doesn't make a weapon good.

You can also stop saying krak-on is bad, b/c you don't personally do well against it. We get it, you dont like the weapon. That doesn't make it bad.

Last edited:

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
personally I prefer the regular splat roller over the krak-on, because with the sub and special it by far exends your rang and mean you are able get people out of your cone shaped range. I think that the splat roller should be where the krak-on is, but if I'm wrong and the krak-on is infinitely better than the splat roller feel free to tell me if i am.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
1) About the list: Great list. I wish we could put together some explanations for these. I get why .96 deco is S tier, but for something like the dual squelcher, I thought it would be a bit higher. It just doesn't do enough perhaps? Seems decent in both SZ and RM though. Just curious as to why people don't use it.

Also, tier lists are usually about what people are playing, not necessarily "the best" weapons (although the best weapons typically are in the highest tier). A tier list helps someone just getting started prepare for what they are likely to face. Therefore, even if some weapons are weak/bad in your opinion, they can still be high tier.

2) More about tiers: This is the competitive forum so it should reflect what the top competitive teams are using, but I think we need to be clear about that. For instance, initially I approached this list as "what is used in ranked." Then I realized solo-queues are way different than competitive splatoon. It might be useful for the community to put together a PUG tier list. For example, in solo-queue I think tentatek doesn't deserve to go lower than A. It may not be S anymore because of nerf to inkzooka, but it is still likely the best all-around weapon. It is still a weapon you can pick up at C- and ride all the way to A or A+. I think people should be prepared to play against a lot of tentateks. Same goes for Krack-On. Maybe not the best weapon because it is situation depended to be good, but you are going to see a lot of them and you will be killed by krakens. People need to be prepared to see these weapons and know how to counter them. Putting them in a low tier because top-players think they are weak (probably rightly so) is a mistake, at least for a list that reflects what you see in solo-queue. This will correct itself in time, but until it does our tier list should reflect the actual meta. I understand this is a bit off topic, as this IS the competitive form, but we should definitely be clear that this is what you will see if you join the competitive scene, not necessarily what you will see in solo-queue.

3) Clarification needed: I'm not sure what "wallhacks" mean in this context. Could someone explain, because they definitely aren't referring to the same thing they have in CoD etc.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Most accurate tier list I've seen. My only misgiving is Bamboozler being in C tier. I don't think the weapon has been out long enough for everyone to know how to use it properly.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Fairly accurate, but it's too broad. The Dynamo shouldn't be in the same tier as the other B weapons. You should have S, A+, A, A-, so on and so forth, more tiers to be more specific.

Also as an octobrush main im highly offended that you put it next to the splattershot jr lol

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I assume this list applies to every gamemode format correct? Or has Rainmaker not been played in a Tournament yet? Just wondering.

Overall though the list seems pretty accurate.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Fairly accurate, but it's too broad. The Dynamo shouldn't be in the same tier as the other B weapons. You should have S, A+, A, A-, so on and so forth, more tiers to be more specific.

Also as an octobrush main im highly offended that you put it next to the splattershot jr lol
honestly id put ssjr over octobrush personally ROFL

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
honestly id put ssjr over octobrush personally ROFL
wtf.
Most accurate tier list I've seen. My only misgiving is Bamboozler being in C tier. I don't think the weapon has been out long enough for everyone to know how to use it properly.
I personally dont think that even if we are going off the the few weeks we had with bamb, it doesnt deserves to be in c. Maybe B

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Lol, man, no Heavy Splatling love? I'll admit that inkstrike is less than stellar, but I feel like the range, power and splash wall are enough to warrant a little more viability than that of a good chunk of the C tier weapons. Though, this is also a very generic (no sub ranks) tier list. Perhaps there just isn't much showing what it may be capable of. I know it's not the best weapon in the game, far from it, but I don't feel it's that low, perhaps that's me however. I just feel like it's a pretty good weapon in Rainmaker and Splatzones (I am not fond of tower control), as well as turf wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom