• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Discussing Inkling/Octoling Biology

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Well, if the octoweapons were built using reasonable technology, they wouldn't short out. The frequency of non-waterproof technology in fiction is actually highly unrealistic. A real organization would be more than capable of making water-proof doom robots.

...But then again, The octarians may not interact with water as frequently as humans...

but then again again, they do have water hazards in some of their... domes... are these strongholds or apartment complexes? I can't tell.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
As for inkling weaponry...

I don't think inkling ink would inherently harm humans on contact... but they would likely get stuck in it. It would be rather hard to fight if one were stuck in a substance acting like glue.

Except it might go further: inklings evolved with this ink combat in mind, so it's natural they'd have evolved some resistance to enemy ink. Humans would have no such resistance.

If this ink is indeed like sunshine's graffiti, humans may not simply be slowed, but be pulled into the ink. It would be like quicksand, except that you couldn't get out by holding still.

If a human were repeatedly shot with ink, the ink would cling to them, since humans haven't evolved the ability to "clean off" over time. With enough ink, this would slow them, and tire them.

Also, if the ink runs off and forms a puddle...

Also, inkling weapons may be high-pressure enough to hurt humans in their own right. After all, there's no need for safety when the guns are shooting ink that tears enemies apart anyway.

Of course, much of this could presumably be negated via a nearby body of water... so the inkling had better hope they have the...

Dry ground!

...laugh.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Remember what I said about the ink being something of a macrophage? Plus, prolonged exposure to large amounts of the goop would eventually damage Mario in SMS, so he's not exactly safe.

The Inklings, meanwhile, have to contend with FLUDD. Most of the enemies on Isle Delfino were made entirely of goop, no? Most of them died after a few seconds' exposure to FLUDD shots. I imagine the Inklings would be disposed of with just as much ease.

I kinda feel like Mario has the advantage, as the amount of ink needed to splat an Inkling would only just cause any harm to Mario. Any turf they ink would be removed swiftly via FLUDD, limiting their mobility.

Only way I see the Inklings getting out alive is if the individual shots from their weapons counted as an individual hit... which, actually, has precedent in the inky balls the Bloopers in that game spit out.

Never mind, now the Inklings have a good chance of winning if they can avoid FLUDD and chip away at Mario's health.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Remember what I said about the ink being something of a macrophage? Plus, prolonged exposure to large amounts of the goop would eventually damage Mario in SMS, so he's not exactly safe.

The Inklings, meanwhile, have to contend with F.L.U.D.D. Most of the enemies on Isle Delfino were made entirely of goop, no? Most of them died after a few seconds' exposure to F.L.U.D.D. shots. I imagine the Inklings would be disposed of with just as much ease.

I kinda feel like Mario has the advantage, as the amount of ink needed to splat an Inkling would only just cause any harm to Mario. Any turf they ink would be removed swiftly via F.L.U.D.D., limiting their mobility.

Only way I see the Inklings getting out alive is if the individual shots from their weapons counted as an individual hit... which, actually, has precedent in the inky balls the Bloopers in that game spit out.

Never mind, now the Inklings have a good chance of winning if they can avoid F.L.U.D.D. and chip away at Mario's health.
...remind me again... what's a macrophage?

Also, given that along most of the fluidity vs solidity spectrum, inklings have at least some organs and tissue not made of ink, they would probably be a little more resilient to water than Isle Delfino enemies, which are pretty clearly just animated graffiti created by the magic paintbrush.

Also, Let's not forget that inkling ink is coming at Mario pressurized and at extremely high velocity.

On the flip side, however, the graffiti in sunshine appears to be more powerful than the ink in Splatoon.
Sunshine's graffiti can make entire buildings disappear, and terraform landscapes by changing it's shape, elevation, etc.
We have yet to see ink do these things.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Macrophage, if I'm not mistaken, essentially means "big eater," and in reality is an immune system cell that eats up viruses & bacteria. I was referring to how the ink kinda "eats up" the terrain, allowing the Inklings to hide in it. Though now that I think about it, it's a more appropriate term for SMS's goop.

I came to the conclusion that, if being immersed in a body of water for barely a few seconds was enough to splat the Inklings, then being sprayed with a high-pressure stream of water like that shot from FLUDD would be equally sufficient to splat them.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
...Perhaps, but considering that the inklings flop around for a bit before splatting, I think the immersed in water variation is more of a reflex.
True, I expect it wouldn't take much from F.L.U.D.D. to take them out, but If they got out of the way really fast, I would expect them to survive a brief hit.

Of course, a properly aimed direct hit would take them out, i'm sure... if we are under the assumption that inklings are indeed harmed by large amounts of water.

If we assume inklings lie on the solid end of the spectrum, the situation changes greatly in the favor of the inklings.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, I imagine that they could survive splash damage from FLUDD (no pun intended). I was thinking more along the lines of direct hits, yeah.

FLUDD's water spray doesn't seem to be that highly pressurized; when shooting at a Pianta/Noki/Toad/Flower Child/Peach they just get annoyed, with no indication of physical harm. So a Solid-spectrum Inkling only has to worry about Mario's hardcore parkour (as demonstrated above). Of course, if said Inkling has access to any of Splatoon's weapons and not just a Splattershot, I imagine they'd be just as versatile.

Of course, it wouldn't be fair to give the Inklings everything and deny Mario access to his Fireballs, hammers, etc... I feel we could make a whole new topic out of this: Inklings vs. the World, perhaps?

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Your right- I hadn't been considering Mario's parkour skill. It's almost as good as Luigi's.

Anyway, if it were someone less skilled using F.L.U.D.D., then the outcome might depend on how much water is nearby.
...In theory, F.L.U.D.D. would eventually empty a small pool, but if the fight is happening near a lake or ocean, the inklings would have to stop their enemy from reaching it for any chance of victory...

Or just stand outside of F.L.U.D.D.'s range holding a sandwich... Unless the F.L.U.D.D. user wants to eat raw fish...

by the way ...If the inklings use the fire flower, does their ink become like the fire graffiti from Pianta village?

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I fear you both are underestimating Mario's ability to punch things in the face repeatedly.

Seriously though, I think Mario wins. He's got quite a bit of experience fighting squids in particular and dealing with hazardous liquids in general. His abilities would be unlike anything Inklings have ever seen before. Not only that, but he's healed by diving under water and resurfacing, which there's no shortage of in the Inkling future. Add his F.L.U.D.D abilities and attachments, and you've got a squid killing machine.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Not only that, but he's healed by diving under water and resurfacing, which there's no shortage of in the Inkling
Super Mario 64 was the only game to do this. The rest of the 3D games have a separate oxygen meter.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Super Mario 64 was the only game to do this. The rest of the 3D games have a separate oxygen meter.
Yes, this is a valid point. I think it's safe to assume that Mario can't heal by breathing.
However, Mario still has a great deal of experience in this area... so to make things more fair, let's give F.L.U.D.D. to someone else.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
How am I supposed to properly cherry pick facts if you people are going to call me out on it?

At any rate, I still think Mario wins 1 v 1. A 4 Inkling splat team vs Mario? Eh, probably the Inklings win that one assuming Mario is vulnerable to their Ink. Again, we've only seen how it effects Inklings and Octos. The game says absolutely nothing about how it affects creatures that are not made of ink, so that's completely up in the air.

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Ok...
Usually when nobody says anything for a while, I summarize.

Inklings have muscle tissue that can unhook at the molecular level, like that of a sea cucumber. However, in models towards the center or fluid end of the spectrum of solidity vs fluidity, Inkling muscle is also liked together via ink, allowing inklings to become an ink squid when liquefied, which in turn allows inklings to slip through even tighter spaces than oceanic octopi, store things while swimming rapidly, hide in and swim through ink, and probably some other things as well.

Of course, this also makes inklings vulnerable to substantial amounts of water, which can disassociate ink. Inklings have also evolved to take advantage of this weakness in each other be developing ink with a biological tendency to tear apart ink with different biological identifying proteins. Inklings can apparently change the nature of their identifier proteins, although we aren't sure how much control they have over this.

I'd expect certain parts of the inkling would have more ink than other parts, such as the throat having little (as it needs to be exposed to water regularly).

I now personally believe that inklings are relatively resistant to water compared to Super Mario Sunshine enemies, but splat when falling into large bodies of it due to the shock of falling in so suddenly.

Ink, when left alone for around 10 minutes or so, will evaporate... I suspect that this is less because the ink can't remain in place for a long time and more a biological adaptation designed to prevent leftover ink from rotting or attracting potential predators.

...What else is there to say here? ah, yes...

How am I supposed to properly cherry pick facts if you people are going to call me out on it?

At any rate, I still think Mario wins 1 v 1. A 4 Inkling splat team vs Mario? Eh, probably the Inklings win that one assuming Mario is vulnerable to their Ink. Again, we've only seen how it effects Inklings and Octos. The game says absolutely nothing about how it affects creatures that are not made of ink, so that's completely up in the air.
Well, given the ink's propensity to tear things apart, it might be able to leave a burn of some kind. but even if it doesn't, the ink seems to be able to pull things into it like unrealistically dangerous quicksand found in many comic books and whatnot. If Mario were to jump into the ink with a near empty water tank, he would have trouble getting out...

Interestingly, In Super Mario Sunshine, Mario can't sink into the graffiti, even though everyone else can, and I believe will if you deliberately slide a dirty Mario to spread graffiti to their position... Does Mario have some sort of secret immunity to 4th dimensional fluids?

Come to think of it, in many games, Mario can traverse some (but not all) quicksand by jumping through it. This doesn't seem to apply here, though, as Mario can stand on the graffiti just fine (even when no one else can)...

Edit: For the record, I'm thinking of the brown graffiti found in Bianco hills early in the game, which doesn't seem to be particularly dangerous save the bubble monsters it spawns.

Last edited:

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
...Is nobody saying anything, or can I simply not see any new posts?

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Yeah, I think we've about covered everything thus far unless you guys want to talk about Inkling sex. I'm always up for a deep discussion on squid sex.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yeah, I think we've about covered everything thus far unless you guys want to talk about Inkling sex. I'm always up for a deep discussion on squid sex.
Unless they can only do it in squid form, I doubt that it'd be different than human lovemaking.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Nevertheless, keeping THIS in mind. I'd find it an interesting topic.
Part of it me is indeed wondering, how Inklings/Octolings reproduce.

So fire away! : 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom