• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Discussing Inkling/Octoling Biology

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
The Japanese Flying Squid, which is what Inklings are based on, eats fish and crustaceans. Wiki says they can resort to cannibalism if food isn't available. In times of food shortage, squid sushi may not be out of the question...

I figure they would still eat fish and crab. I hear canned bread is a delicacy among squids, tho.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I can't find anything regarding the density of squid ink (there's a lot of info for printer ink density, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to this discussion), so there goes that line of thought.
Somehow I missed this (I blame it on either fatigue or trying to multitask). Cephalopod ink is different from printer/pen ink, and squids use it in two ways. First is a smokescreen where they spray out a cloud of ink that eventually dissipates. The second method involves releasing ink with a high content of mucus mixed in so that the ink stays in a blob. Squids will release several of these, then change colors. Predators mistake the fake squids made out of ink for the real thing and attack them. It's actually quite amazing. This "ink squid" not only fools predators visually, but also apparently has the ability to numb a predators chemosensors e.g. sense of smell and taste. Some cephalopods also have toxic chemicals in their ink, so they not only make themselves virtually undetectable, but they leave poisonous decoys behind for predators to attack.

The best part of all? You can use it to make black pasta noodles. Who doesn't want black pasta noodles?

Cephalopod Ink

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
The best part of all? You can use it to make black pasta noodles. Who doesn't want black pasta noodles?
shut up and take my super sea snails
interesting so your suggesting that the inklings have some sort of poison in their ink, that would explain how it hurts octling and the weird counter parts and the different color must have slightly different poisons to be effective against inklings of different color.

why doesn't captain cuttlefish have a splat relax he just shakes the ink off and stares at you.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Somehow I missed this (I blame it on either fatigue or trying to multitask). Cephalopod ink is different from printer/pen ink, and squids use it in two ways. First is a smokescreen where they spray out a cloud of ink that eventually dissipates. The second method involves releasing ink with a high content of mucus mixed in so that the ink stays in a blob. Squids will release several of these, then change colors. Predators mistake the fake squids made out of ink for the real thing and attack them. It's actually quite amazing. This "ink squid" not only fools predators visually, but also apparently has the ability to numb a predators chemosensors e.g. sense of smell and taste. Some cephalopods also have toxic chemicals in their ink, so they not only make themselves virtually undetectable, but they leave poisonous decoys behind for predators to attack.

Cephalopod Ink
Decoy Sub/Special pls

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Captain cuttlefish doesn't splat because like in many other games, friendly fire is impossible.

Anyway, while Marie's expression when she makes the salted squid comment implies that she finds it disturbing, I wouldn't call it canabalism because I assume she is talking about the squids which live in the ocean as opposed to the inklings.

The squids in the ocean aren't considered sapient like the inklings are, so eating the squids of the sea wouldn't be eating a sapient species.

After all, some humans eat lesser primates (which may or may not be relevant, depending on your belief regarding the origins of humanity).

and besides: squid don't just consist of one species anyway.

Edit: as for the toxic ink, inkling ink seems to be more focused on dissolving enemies than poisoning them... it wouldn't be dangerously acidic or basic, however, because then it would hurt all inklings as opposed to just the enemies.

Also: perhaps the "ink cells" I mentioned earlier are similar to the mucas BlackZero mentioned (in the liquid model, of course.)

Last edited:

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
That might be understandable.
Especially in inkling cultures where eating lesser squid is considered taboo.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
Decoy Sub/Special pls
Subs i have no idea maybe they have an ink pocket full of the things and they just have to fill them.
Specials may have been a response when they wanted to protect their turf (since you do have to ink a certain amount) and could be some sort of adrenaline, like the echoloacter could have been a reaction when they knew someone has there (as it heightens their senses and completely refills their ink), and the kraken was for when they were being attacked and they were protecting their eggs (i'm talking about presenent inklings), the killer wail could have been a warning to back inklings off as it may startle them into reflexing (it was made bigger by technology), the bubbler may have been for protecting against predators that may have been able to destroy inklings if they krakened so it gave them the ability to pass an inkshield to themselves and their family, the bomb rush and inkzooka may have been an signal to produce a TON of ink because they didn't know what to expect (and was need to throw a ton of bombs and to fire a huge gun in the mordern day) and the reason they can't do it consently is because the adrenaline we use makes us use a lot of energy, and i expect that their inkenaline does the same so the cans of "stuff" you pick up may just be the specific food needed to be able to use that move and i'm sure the inklings are well feed in the town so they are able to pick the food they want so they have the ability they want.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Subs i have no idea maybe they have an ink pocket full of the things and they just have to fill them.
Specials may have been a response when they wanted to protect their turf (since you do have to ink a certain amount) and could be some sort of adrenaline, like the echoloacter could have been a reaction when they knew someone has there (as it heightens their senses and completely refills their ink), and the kraken was for when they were being attacked and they were protecting their eggs (i'm talking about presenent inklings), the killer wail could have been a warning to back inklings off as it may startle them into reflexing (it was made bigger by technology), the bubbler may have been for protecting against predators that may have been able to destroy inklings if they krakened so it gave them the ability to pass an inkshield to themselves and their family, the bomb rush and inkzooka may have been an signal to produce a TON of ink because they didn't know what to expect (and was need to throw a ton of bombs and to fire a huge gun in the mordern day) and the reason they can't do it consently is because the adrenaline we use makes us use a lot of energy, and i expect that their inkenaline does the same so the cans of "stuff" you pick up may just be the specific food needed to be able to use that move and i'm sure the inklings are well feed in the town so they are able to pick the food they want so they have the ability they want.
What I meant is that I want them to add a Decoy Squid as a Subweapon or Special in the game too :V

That might be understandable.
Especially in inkling cultures where eating lesser squid is considered taboo.
I can imagine more conservative Inklings being horrified at macabre seafood-themed clothes, like that jacket Crusty Sean always wears.

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
You know what I think?

Inklings can turn into squids at any time by essentially modifying their molecular structure to become a squid made out of pure ink with a shell in the shape of a squid.
when in human form, the ink is contained inside a shell that looks like a human body.

My theory is that Inklings are made out of substances similar to acid and alkali substances, which is why both of them die when coming into contact with each other, acids neutralise alkalis and vice versa, this also hints to why inklings die when they come into contact with water, water also neutralises acids and alkalis.

When inklings fall into water ink starts to leak out from their bodies before they evaporate, which could be the shell (their body) being dissolved and neutralised and the insides leaking out. Since there is constant exposure to the water when an inkling falls in, death is almost imminent. When an acidic inkling is hit by an opposing team's alkaline ink, the alkaline substance starts chipping away at their shell, which is why you see patches of opposite ink everywhere on the body, even when just standing in a puddle of the stuff.

Swimming in ink gets rid of the offending acidic or alkaline ink quicker than normal because you're neutralising it immediately by submerging it in the opposite element instead of waiting for the body's healing process to sort it out, it's like soothing a burn wound by coating it in water.

As for the swimming in ink part, remember how I said that the human form and the squid forms are merely shells containing the true entity of the inkling (pure ink) inside the body, well when an inkling wants to swim, they break the shell and completely become one with the ink, like pouring a glass of water into a bathtub, it blends in and you can't see it, just like the inkling! This also explains why there's so much manoeuvrability in a liquid that barely covers the ground (and walls)

When the inkling wants to become human again, they just reassume their forms and assemble their shell (notice how before they become fully human their body is made completely out of ink)

Now, about the whole thing on dying and respawning, I believe inklings bodies behave in a way identical to Master Core of the Super Smash Brothers series. For those of you that don't know, Master Core is a giant mass of swirling shadows that can contort his body into many different forms, all of this is possible with the centre, or the heart of his body. Which is a small core. You know that little soul that flies off when an inkling's body is destroyed? That's the core, that's the TRUE inkling. That's what gives the inklings the power to become human, squid, create shells and gives them life and most importantly, respawn after being torn into a million inky pieces.

Notice how this soul is visible to EVERYBODY, whether it's your soul, the soul of your teammate or an enemy's soul or even an Octoling's soul. You can see the soul of everybody who's splatted, making this something that's visible and probably tangible to an extent. If you were to destroy somebody's soul, that would be pretty bad. This is probably the same for the Inklings, meaning that if an Inkling's soul is splatted that would mean permanent death. This is why it's impossible within the boundaries of the game to target an inkling's soul. The turf war organisers absolutely forbid it since it would be murder. You are only allowed to incapacitate, but not kill...

Well, I think that covers everything!

TL DR:

I love you very much and I want you in my life, [username], will you marry me?

REAL TL DR:

Inklings and Octolings are made of Acid/Alkili like substances that neutralise (kill) one another when they come in contact with each other. This is also why water kills. The human and squid forms are merely shells that dissolve when they are neutralised, Inklings cannot be truly killed unless that little soul that flies off is destroyed, which is why you are prevented from targeting it.

Last edited:

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I still have this image in my imagination of a horrified Inkling curling up behind the sofa when the Seafood Special comes on TV and they show ancient human cooking footage of a sushi chef running a knife through a twitching squid.
Note to self: make several videos of me eating squid and seal it in a water-tight time capsule to troll Inklings in the future.

In all seriousness though, this game has really made me "humanize" squids. I watched a dissection of a squid and couldn't help but hear their little death warbles the whole time.

the cans of "stuff" you pick up may just be the specific food needed to be able to use that move and i'm sure the inklings are well feed in the town so they are able to pick the food they want so they have the ability they want.
Kinda like the jellybeans from a boy and his blob?

I can imagine more conservative Inklings being horrified at macabre seafood-themed clothes, like that jacket Crusty Sean always wears.
Or the dresses Callie & Marie wear that have three "slits" in them in the same pattern as actual cuts chefs make into squid when cooking it? The squid sushi hats probably don't help. Either they have no idea what those things are, or Inklings have a really dark sense of humor. Considering that they send their 14 year old kids away to compete in what amounts to gladiatorial combat, I'm leaning towards the latter.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I always figured the core Inkling/Octoling is the part that survives contact with pure/salt water and escapes to the nearest Respawn Point to reconstitute their body.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Or the dresses Callie & Marie wear that have three "slits" in them in the same pattern as actual cuts chefs make into squid when cooking it? The squid sushi hats probably don't help. Either they have no idea what those things are, or Inklings have a really dark sense of humor. Considering that they send their 14 year old kids away to compete in what amounts to gladiatorial combat, I'm leaning towards the latter.
Maybe they do know the implications and are doing this to mock the now extinct humans.

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
My theory is that Inklings are made out of substances similar to acid and alkali substances, which is why both of them die when coming into contact with each other, acids neutralise alkalis and vice versa, this also hints to why inklings die when they come into contact with water, water also neutralises acids and alkalis.
The problem with that is alkali metals don't get damaged by water they burst into flames or explode
when they die it's kinda horrifying not amazing, water deludes acids so they aren't as powerful but if you were able to extract all the water from the deluded acid it would be at it's normal state

the only way I can they of them melting in the water is if there was so much salt in the water that the water in them was pulled out
I love you very much and I want you in my life, [username], will you marry me?
no

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
The problem with that is alkali metals don't get damaged by water they burst into flames or explode
when they die it's kinda horrifying not amazing, water deludes acids so they aren't as powerful but if you were able to extract all the water from the deluded acid it would be at it's normal state
Yeah, that's why I said similar, because the best way I could describe my idea was saying that they were substances similar to each other. Sharing some, but not all properties.
:(

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
Since inklings can apparently switch teams just by changing colors, they would probably be made of the same substance.

One could argue that the inklings change composition when switching size, but I feel like that's overcomplicating things.

Also, acid ink doesn't explain how things like dynamo rollers and great octoweapons can sink into the ink and then come out.

...I feel like now is a good time to recap.

The current theory held by this thread is that ink is able to extend into another dimension (as in a spacial dimension, not another world.)

As BlackZero said, we only see the ink in three dimensions because that is all we are capable of percieving.

In reality, though, the ink extends well beyond our vision.

The debate then moved on to the structure of inklings themselves. We argued and came up with a "liquid" and "solid" model.

In both models, inklings are made of a substance (which may or may not be ink) that resembles human flesh in "solid form", but can liquify during the squid-kid transformation.

The biggest difference between the models is that liquid inklings dissolve in water (but only if there is enough of it) while solid inklings cannot swim for other reasons, but there are some other differences as well.

Both models agree that inklings have a number of non-ink organs that function much like ours.

When an inkling splats, it pulls all it's organs into a small "soul" and flees to regenerate it's body. Without a respawn point, this is a long, tiring, and dangerous process.

We've also discussed a number of other factors. If you haven't already, you should read through the thread from beginning to end, because I don't want to list everything we've said.

And as for the gladiatorial combat, you forget that the respawn points prevent any permanent harm (as far as we can tell.)

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Yeah, it is best not to overthink some parts. Since they clearly defy out world's logic.
Like the Acid-Theory or the theory of Ink opening up a pocket dimension or what have you.
Nintendo was clearly bending the rules when they made this.

There are some parts of this Biology, that outright defy physics, laws and logic.
At least the ones established in our world.
So you cannot explain those by our standards.

Yet most of Biology we could explain and we came up with various concepts.
All which were fun to read.

To come up with another subject:
Though I think this one has been mentioned before, let me ask again: "What do Inklings and Octolings eat? What do they drink?"
And how do they consume food?

And yet another thing: "How do they clean themselves?"

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
And then the Japanese Splatfest Squid vs Octopus with pictures of their dead forms happened.

Also NA version had a quote calling hot dogs hotdog fish, The hamburger equivalent is catfish burgers. There are chips referenced in NA, it's just called by their equivalent "French fries." There's also peanut butter and Judd is said to eat fish so there must be non sentient fish around. And then there are vegetables that Marie really dislikes. I suppose in real life squids are strictly carnivorous but I am not so familiar with aquatic creatures so feel free to tell me more about real life squids' diets.
None of that stuff is mentioned otherwise so I can't take the peanut butter thing seriously (because that replaces one of the chips quotes) and I never remember 'french fries' being in any quote to replace the chips. Except that one time Marie mentions it in Kelp Dome. Otherwise, they're just called chips, which several of the NOA quotes completely replace with peanut butter, burgers etc. because referencing one thing too much is ridiculous hurrrr

I assume that Splatfest meant different sides of the war in-story, considering that artwork of Callie and Marie with an Inkling and Octarian respectively, so in-story it probably made sense to assume it to be that way. I don't think they actually eat squid/octopus since it was a licensed splatfest anyway

The hot dogfish thing was for burgers, and yous did that for catfish as well. Not only that, that once again replaced the chips quote over here, so I can hardly take that seriously. Plus, not ONLY that, your version has hot dogfish burgers AND hot dogs, as by Camp and Arowana's quotes, both of which are absent from both other closer-to-the-source-material versions.

Lots of things were edited just to suit likings, so I highly doubt some of the stuff mentioned in your quotes, especially for other reasons which I see the NA version as disrespectful to it as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom