• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Disney rips off Splatoon?!

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
I may be a big Disney fan, but after seeing this news a few days ago, I keep saying to myself on why they would do this. I'd never cared about Disney Infinity (excluding the figurines), so seeing this bit of news makes me not care about the series even more now.

Prepare for lawsuits!

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
This much anger over a really cruddy Splatoon rip-off side mode?
You should be glad, what you're playing right now is a whole galaxy away in quality from this mess.
Honestly I feel bad for those who find this a selling point because it looks and likely plays nothing like it's "inspiration".

And the best of all, it's called "Squid" Wars and it doesn't have any squids in it.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
And the best of all, it's called "Squid" Wars and it doesn't have any squids in it.
That's what makes this more of a fail to me. Why call it Squid Wars if there isn't any squids at all? They should've just called it a paintball mode along with making it more of an original level than completely ripping a stage off from Splatoon. They're not trying at all here.

SleuthMechanism

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SleuthMechanism
omg this is hilariously pathetic XD it's like one of those cheap chinese knockoff games with the suspicious almost exact replica level and taking the core gameplay and removing any traces of soul from it XD i can't even be offended because it's just SO bad!

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
I see No Ink Brush, No Tomboy inklings wearing FRESH looking clothing!
No Callie, No Marie!

NO THANK YOU.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
I just despise the takeover of Star Wars. I'm not about to hate on the new Star Wars movie unless there are musicals in it. Robot Chicken can get away with that because it's Robot Chicken. They're funny.

In anycase, I'll agree. It will be worse if they outright copy the transformations and weapons. I have a feeling the weapons will be copied most likely.
you make it sound as though Disney forcibly took Star Wars right out of George's hands, when in actuality he had been planning the deal for years. And Disney Is really just letting the old Lucasfilm crew do what they have always done. My only sour thing about the whole deal is that Sword of the Jedi was practically done and got cancelled.

also Disney Infinity 3.0 is surprisingly fun!

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
you make it sound as though Disney forcibly took Star Wars right out of George's hands, when in actuality he had been planning the deal for years. And Disney Is really just letting the old Lucasfilm crew do what they have always done. My only sour thing about the whole deal is that Sword of the Jedi was practically done and got cancelled.

also Disney Infinity 3.0 is surprisingly fun!
I know it's not forced but it feels like they kinda barged in on the Star Wars series. Though I personally am not on good terms with Disney as a former-fan, due to their actions to what 'they' think Star Wars should do. This is why I respect to Dice for giving Disney the proverbial middle finger and making Star War Battlefront anyway. I also could care less about Disney Infinity, the biggest case of a Skylanders rip there is! Though I don't like Skylanders anymore than Infinity, so I really have nothing else to say about it those two things.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
I know it's not forced but it feels like they kinda barged in on the Star Wars series. Though I personally am not on good terms with Disney as a former-fan, due to their actions to what 'they' think Star Wars should do. This is why I respect to Dice for giving Disney the proverbial middle finger and making Star War Battlefront anyway. I also could care less about Disney Infinity, the biggest case of a Skylanders rip there is! Though I don't like Skylanders anymore than Infinity, so I really have nothing else to say about it those two things.
I have no idea what you are even talking about. I'm pretty sure Battlefront is happening is because of disney.
"The first Star Wars game announced under Electronic Arts' exclusive license was Star Wars Battlefront, a reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series, being developed by DICE." - Wikipedia on LucasArts After the Acquisition.

Meh i dunno though, I just follow the real bulk of the story, movies/books/TV shows

the last few games pre-disney were garbage eg. The old republic and the force unleashed games.

Last edited:

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
I have no idea what you are even talking about. I'm pretty sure Battlefront is happening is because of Disney.
"The first Star Wars game announced under Electronic Arts' exclusive license was Star Wars Battlefront, a reboot of the Star Wars: Battlefront series, being developed by DICE." - Wikipedia on LucasArts After the Acquisition.
Not exactly. Dice put it upon themselves to make a game that is accurate to the series. They actually went on site to the closed Lucas Arts Studio, to research the items, ships and other things of series. They even went on site to the actual locations for each part of the movies. All the planets featured are in the game to my knowledge, minus the space travel. It's honestly looking amazing and soon we will see the fruits of their labor. Disney has little to no influence on the game since they burned the bridge to all game production for Star Wars. It's all Dice.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
The only problem with that statement is that it ties directly into Aftermath, Lost Stars, and TFA with the events it covers. And there are glaring issues with the timeline of the game as well for instance Lukes ROTJ lightsaber during the battle of Hoth.

where as the lucasfilm story group is handling the continuity very well in the novels and TV shows.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
The only problem with that statement is that it ties directly into Aftermath, Lost Stars, and TFA with the events it covers. And there are glaring issues with the timeline of the game as well for instance Lukes ROTJ lightsaber during the battle of Hoth.

where as the lucasfilm story group is handling the continuity very well in the novels and TV shows.
Okay, I'll grant you that. Though this is getting into nitpicky territory now. Though issues that may of been noticed could end up being fixed or left alone. That will not be for certain till the game comes out.

sayaka_abstergo

Inkling Bounty Hunter
NNID
sayaka_abstergo
Not exactly. Dice put it upon themselves to make a game that is accurate to the series. They actually went on site to the closed Lucas Arts Studio, to research the items, ships and other things of series. They even went on site to the actual locations for each part of the movies. All the planets featured are in the game to my knowledge, minus the space travel. It's honestly looking amazing and soon we will see the fruits of their labor. Disney has little to no influence on the game since they burned the bridge to all game production for Star Wars. It's all Dice.
I'm glad Disney is shopping around for companies to give Star Wars games new life. Battlefront looks FANTASTIC, and last I heard, the Uncharted director is working on an open world action/adventure game centered around bounty hunters. 1313 revival anyone?

On the topic of 1313, if you look really carefully at the last few episodes of the Clone Wars, the scenes of underground Coruscant are pretty much straight out of the 1313 concept art. I thought it was a nice touch, even though the episodes take place on 1315.

I think the game will be fine. We know Boba Fett (probably, I'm still holding out hope here) didn't survive the Sarlacc Pit, but he's playable as a villain in the Battle of Endor. I think it's just for the game, and the only Battlefront things we know are canon are the Twilight Company novel and the Battle of Jakku DLC.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
we know Boba Fett probably did survive the sarlacc pit, It is hinted at in Aftermath.

sayaka_abstergo

Inkling Bounty Hunter
NNID
sayaka_abstergo
we know Boba Fett probably did survive the sarlacc pit, It is hinted at in Aftermath.
It's not for sure though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was only corroded Mandolorian armor for sale from some Jawas. It could mean that he escaped, but it could just mean someone found his armor.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
The thing is, if he had not escaped then the armor would have remained inside the sarlacc. I think it is much more likely that he did escape and that what we saw was his armor.

sayaka_abstergo

Inkling Bounty Hunter
NNID
sayaka_abstergo
The thing is, if he had not escaped then the armor would have remained inside the sarlacc. I think it is much more likely that he did escape and that what we saw was his armor.
Yeah, that's a good point, I didn't think of that.
That also means he's wandering around without his iconic armor and that really unsettles me. D:

Maybe it'll get an upgrade in the future.

Crescelius

Inkling
NNID
Crescelius
I actually like Disney, but good lord does this look awful. Like another in the thread said, we all should be happy that Splatoon didn't turn out to be what THAT is. That simple face/object painting/colouring type of code can be up into just about anything, and it'd probably be cooler there than in Dinsey Infinity. (Imagine a Zelda game with that...The arrows and seeds would be used more than ever before.)

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
But what if nintendo pulls the same thing and sticks Mikey Muskrat into splatoon as the new DLC antagonist? He'd go around stealing the inkling's technology/weapons for his home bogtopia, and it would be up to agents 1, 2 and 3 to stop his dastardly deeds before inkopolis is bereft of its favorite sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom