• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Disney rips off Splatoon?!

EdgyTriangle

Inkling
NNID
EdgyTriangle
I think people online are getting a bit too worked up by this. It may be made by the staff but it's a free, optional level you can download for their sandbox game; not like you have to pay for it specifically. Maybe some of the Disney Infinity team are Splatoon fans and just wanted to do a shoutout to Splatoon. I think the idea of playing a poor man's Splatoon with your DI character personally sounds pretty hilarious.

Niiro

Inkling
NNID
FireWyvern
I see there's inspiration, and that's fine, I'm just sad there was no mention about where the inspiration was from.
On top of that, fan creation is one thing and that's cool and all, but being made by the game developers puts it on the company, kinda a bad move there.

Niiro

Inkling
NNID
FireWyvern
I think people online are getting a bit too worked up by this. It may be made by the staff but it's a free, optional level you can download for their sandbox game; not like you have to pay for it specifically. Maybe some of the Disney Infinity team are Splatoon fans and just wanted to do a shoutout to Splatoon. I think the idea of playing a poor man's Splatoon with your DI character personally sounds pretty hilarious.
If they actually gave a shout out to Splatoon, that'd be one thing, but making a level from the official game devs gives the impression it's good original content. Personally that just rubs me the wrong way a bit.

EdgyTriangle

Inkling
NNID
EdgyTriangle
If they actually gave a shout out to Splatoon, that'd be one thing, but making a level from the official game devs gives the impression it's good original content. Personally that just rubs me the wrong way a bit.
I don't think Disney's allowed to mention names to content they don't own, but strong references and parodies to said things are allowed. Copyright is a bit odd in that regard.

Niiro

Inkling
NNID
FireWyvern
I don't think Disney's allowed to mention names to content they don't own, but strong references and parodies to said things are allowed. Copyright is a bit odd in that regard.
Shouldn't there be a way for Disney to contact Nintendo and say "hey your product inspired us to make this level, is it alright if we upload it?" And Nintendo could give it a shout out or something. Otherwise Nintendo should still have the right to say "no we'd rather you didn't upload it" and then we wouldn't even know that was a thing.
Again, imo this wouldn't matter nearly so much if it was a level on a random user's profile, rather than from the official devs where content and copyright is more important.

EdgyTriangle

Inkling
NNID
EdgyTriangle
Shouldn't there be a way for Disney to contact Nintendo and say "hey your product inspired us to make this level, is it alright if we upload it?" And Nintendo could give it a shout out or something. Otherwise Nintendo should still have the right to say "no we'd rather you didn't upload it" and then we wouldn't even know that was a thing.
Again, imo this wouldn't matter nearly so much if it was a level on a random user's profile, rather than from the official devs where content and copyright is more important.
If the Disney Infinity team wanted to contact Nintendo, they'd have to get permission from the division in control of Disney itself in order to do so. Disney is a very big company and communication among divisions of the company can be difficult, from what I've heard.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Then ask me this. Shouldn't Disney ask Nintendo permission before making this level? Because what they're doing now is infringing copyright.

Xadus

Inkling Tactician
NNID
JainaSuila
the point was that this whole thing is not a big deal and when it comes down to it Nintendo doesn't exactly have the high ground.

Nintendo and Disney are both mega corporations they have whole legal teams to deal with this kinda of stuff. There is no reason for us consumers to get our panties in a bunch of a stupid mini-game that probably doesn't even make a difference in either companies sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom