• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you enjoy air travel?

Do you enjoy air travel?

• Yes!

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No!

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I've never been on a plane.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
This month I'm going on my first airplane trip down to see a friend!
I'm really excited, since I love the idea of traveling! Though, I am also a bit nervous since it's my first time.

What are your experiences with air travel? Do you like it? Hate it? Feel free to share your experiences with it too!

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Air travel is great if the airline gods smile upon you. If you have multiple connections and just one of them is late, you might have to completely redo your travel plans. I wish I could say this was a rare, worst case scenario, but it actually happens a lot.

Beyond that, it depends what kind of seat you get. I personally like aisle seats because I hate being jammed up against a wall.

nasalfire

Inkling
Not having a connecting flight definitely makes air travel a lot less stressful. There have been several times where I have had to sprint through the airport to make my flight.

If the flight is over 2 or 3 hours, I'll try to sleep the whole way. But on one flight there was a meal every 3 or 4 hours, so it was hard to fall asleep. At least I wasn't hungry.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Here in the US, I loathe our useless, money sink, security theatre department. For me, they're the worst part about flying, to me. Other than that, and airline companies' practices/behaviours, I'm really cool with flying for the most part. It can be rather exciting and fun when viewed as an interlude of your latest adventure.

In the meantime, I'm still wishing I had my own personal plane to pilot or a pilot(s) on retainer so I can skip a lot of nonsense.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Here in the US, I loathe our useless, money sink, security theatre department. For me, they're the worst part about flying, to me.
You know you can apply for a "trusted passenger" pass where you can go through lighter security, right?

Ansible

Community Ambassador
You know you can apply for a "trusted passenger" pass where you can go through lighter security, right?
Yeah, however it's only a mild workaround that leaves the obstacle where it is for others to deal with. But I've been informed the precheck program is not an automatic guarantee, nor is it always useful. But maybe you have to be a frequent flyer or live near a larger, busier airport to take better advantage of it. *shrug*

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I was in Team Plane...
...But I still voted No!. >_>

The whole flight experience certainly isn't something I actually enjoy, and it's actually something I'm a bit irrationally fearful of.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
it's actually something I'm a bit irrationally fearful of.
That makes sense. I think the fear of planes is common... that must be why they use scary aspects of it in horror films?
I'm trying not to think about those, considering my flight is literally in two days and it's my first time flying...

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
That makes sense. I think the fear of planes is common... that must be why they use scary aspects of it in horror films?
I'm trying not to think about those, considering my flight is literally in two days and it's my first time flying...
O-Oh. Uh. You'll do great. Erm... it'll be great. And you get to ride along the greatness. Yeah.

I still like planes > cars probably because I have to deal with cars a lot more often, and now coming back home from work I have to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic because a bridge that's parallel to my route is getting road work done. So they're detouring all of that traffic over to my route. Ugh.
Planes don't have to deal with that.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
O-Oh. Uh. You'll do great. Erm... it'll be great. And you get to ride along the greatness. Yeah.

I still like planes > cars probably because I have to deal with cars a lot more often, and now coming back home from work I have to sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic because a bridge that's parallel to my route is getting road work done. So they're detouring all of that traffic over to my route. Ugh.
Planes don't have to deal with that.
Yeah i'm mostly worried about my luggage to be honest. I don't want to lose it and I don't want to be late to my flights. The actual plane ride in itself isn't scary to me, the most i'm scared of is potentially getting sick but that's about it. Anyways I personally think I like cars a bit more at the moment but I'll be able to say my thoughts on that when I know what the plane is actually like.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Are you checking your luggage instead of carry-on?

It is possible to get sick, and one of the few downsides to flying is feeling like patient zero. Consider wearing some throw away clothes and then getting in a quick shower once you arrive. A few things you should also consider:
  • earplugs for the engine noise (depending on where you're sitting) or the pressure
  • gum to help pop your ears due to the pressure
  • drink water before, during, and after the flight—keep yourself hydrated and your... constitution normal
  • reading material and/or music to both pass the time and calm any nervousness
  • a light jacket if you get easily cold or need a makeshift pillow/blanket when you want to nap

Maave

Inkling Commander
It's OK. Sitting for a while can get uncomfortable. Takeoff, landing, and turbulence are the fun parts.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I recently got on and off my two flights to get to my friend's house and I'll admit I most certainly LOVE air travel much more than driving by car. A one-day trip for the most part is much better than a two-day drive. If flying was less pricy, I'd do it MUCH more often.

SyMag

SOLDIER 1st Class
NNID
PKThunda
I recently got on and off my two flights to get to my friend's house and I'll admit I most certainly LOVE air travel much more than driving by car. A one-day trip for the most part is much better than a two-day drive. If flying was less pricy, I'd do it MUCH more often.
Good! Glad to see everything turned out well :)

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I really like air travel, it's a great feeling to look at at clouds from above, and look at the world from high up as you're ascending/descending. And I find going through turbulence really fun, even though everyone else on the plane is usually very scared.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I really like air travel, it's a great feeling to look at at clouds from above, and look at the world from high up as you're ascending/descending. And I find going through turbulence really fun, even though everyone else on the plane is usually very scared.
I didn't really see anyone scared on my flight, but on my flight back after we landed some kid was like "OH THE PLANE NEEDS TO STOP BEING USED" just because the lights flickered (after we landed), and I was just like :\... They didn't flicker any other time so I'm sure that it was just someone trying to make sure the lights were functioning properly for the next flight, I don't know. I dislike kids that say things like that just to make people scared.

I actually love takeoff and landing and it's nice to sit by a window seat and look down at everything, I agree.

Nozzlepops

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nozzles
I used to. I've actually grown to quite hate it over recent years, though.

That could be part of the fact that I took NINE airplane rides in a matter of seven days a few years ago, however. It was a horrible experience. Also, I get sick almost every time I take a trip via airplane travel, there are a plethora of sick people who don't cover their mouths in airports.

G

girigiriHERO

depends on the company. JAL (Japan Airlines) and KAL (Korean Airlines) offer exceptional service and free beer, which is always nice to help relax. Movies are available that aren't out on Bluray and it's much nicer if you fly with someone. I fly once a year whether it be outside Canada or inside. It's also nice to have a reason to bundle up with my NN3DS and play it for hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom