• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Do you think implementing customizable weapon kits in the next game would be beneficial or detrimental to the game?

Customizable kits: good or bad?

• Total voters

SwiftyTaco

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-8339-9344-3501
I mean, the way I see it, Splatoon 3 is supposed to lean into the chaos factor of things. Custom kits would be chaotic af and fun.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
See, on the one hand, Nintendo cannot make good kits.
On the other hand, Nintendo likely would not be able to balance all of the subs and specials even with such a strong inclination to.

So, my vote is for semi-customizable kits. Nintendo may not be able to give weapons good kits, but they can give them both good subs and good specials. Just imagine the possibilities: Auto Zip Tetras, Burst Crab Stamper, Suction Storm Nautilus, Fizzy Booyah Aerospray... actually, maybe not that last one...

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
If Splatoon 4 doesn't get custom kits, a good middle ground would be for every weapon to get four kits. That way there's gotta be at least one good in there, right? And it can a themed use of the number four, just like how the number three is everywhere in S3.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
If Splatoon 4 doesn't get custom kits, a good middle ground would be for every weapon to get four kits. That way there's gotta be at least one good in there, right? And it can a themed use of the number four, just like how the number three is everywhere in S3.
This would seem more plausible to me if splatoon 3 got third kits for every weapon. Which is still technically possible, but it's seeming less and less likely

:pancakes:

Inkling
as others have pointed out, limiting which subs & specials each weapon gets while still allowing customization is the best solution. most weapons will probably still have a "best kit", but that isn't really an issue so long as:
a) no weapon is given only bad options & "best kit" means "least bad"
b) other options are still fun & viable in casual & low level play
this also becomes significantly easier to balance in the same way the current system makes balancing easier. it's not perfect, there are still benefits to full customization and no customization (i personally think that with competent enough design & balance, no customization would probably be best for a diverse meta), but this is probably the best possible outcome.

Paraster

Inkling
I don't think custom kits are inherently a bad idea, but it could easily go wrong. And if the dev team felt they had no choice but to go back on it and remove custom kits to salvage the game balance, that would be its own firestorm.

I'm of the opinion that Splatoon 4 should add custom kits as a side mode (maybe private battle only), and this could be used as a litmus test for if universal custom kits would be feasible for S5 and beyond.

TruthSeekr

Inkling
Just like we are going to kit 3rd kits on everything in Splatoon 3...right?
(I do like that idea though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom