• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

does anyone else avoid playing anarchy series?

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
i tend to get super stressed when playing a series, to the point where i tilt and lose the game, and then losing makes me tilt even more, repeat cycle until i lose a series with 1 win and 3 losses and lose like 80 points. because of this, i usually play a ton of anarchy open games until the payoff is about the same as playing one series. i don't think the fewer points gained per win affect me that much at the moment, but i know i'm not going to be able to play the game this frequently forever, so i want to be able to play series normally.

does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone have advice?

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
Omg this is so relatable. I tried to do my rank up twice and was 0-3 both times. I did my best and kept my cool but luck in the end.

at least the inkling is beautiful.

Cephalobro

Honestly, I never touched Anarchy yet, and probably only plan to when I get the 5% Challenge Badge.

reelrollsweat

Semi-Pro Squid
these days i dont grind rank anymore so i play open most of the time. i only play series to do my rank up battle into s+ lol

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
Series reeeally stresses me out honestly. I've started doing them again for the first time in literally over a year recently, and exclusively because I want back into S+, and I'm being reminded juuuust how stressful I find it. I do one series and even if I win (A rarity) I tend to have a headache from stress and can't keep playing. Opens I can do for hours, but series? One series, ONCE in a blue moon, and then I gotta take a break. Not helped by the fact I lost my rank up series last night LOL

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Honestly, I never touched Anarchy yet, and probably only plan to when I get the 5% Challenge Badge.
Question. If you never play any ranked mode in Anarchy, and only experience those modes when they appear on a challenge, how are you going to accrue enough experience and knowledge to get top 5% for a challenge in any mode that isn't turf? Sounds like you'd be flying blind against competitors who sweat in splat zones and rainmaker etc. nonstop, and that isn't a recipe for success when it comes to being the top 5% of most anything.

Anyway, to be on topic, I can understand why series can be stressful, but like... you can't rank down. Heck, you can go into point debt and there's no real penalty. As long as you're doing your best to learn from losses and improve your game sense and mechanics, play whatever mode you like, but do try to play all of them for the sake of experience. Series is just the best mode for when you actually want to rank up, and getting better at the game isn't really indicated by a letter, that's just how you show your skills to others.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Oh god I have this exact problem too and it's such a frustrating inner battle. I also dodge the stress by playing mostly open and only doing series if I feel like I'm in a good groove (or when the rank up battle forces me) but I know I need to get over it at some point.

I try to counter it by telling myself it's not that big of a deal. I keep trying to convince my emotional brain with the practical stuff, like that any points lost can always be gained back, my actual skill matters more than my in-game rank, when my skill improves my rank will follow naturally anyway, so I just need to play the best I can, ignore the points, and trust that the system will do its best to put me where I need to be to keep improving (even though it doesn't always succeed, lol).

But honestly I haven't been having much success; the emotional brain doesn't listen to reason. So I try to reframe my losses in a narrative sense, like telling myself to imagine how much greater it will be when I finally break through because I struggled this much to get there, that persistence is the most important skill in improving at anything and this is just an opportunity to use and strengthen that skill, etc. Sometimes that works, but it's still quite a struggle.

So recently I have been attempting just a raw psychological approach via exposure therapy. Just forcing myself to play them regardless of how I feel-- not for the sake of progression and winning but just for the sake of getting more comfortable doing it. I've tried a few patterns but the one I'm on right now is that for every two open games that I win, I make myself go do a series game. Just one, then I can go back to open. Eventually maybe I'll up that to one series game for every open win, and then go from there. I've only just started doing it this season so I don't know if it's helping but it feels like it is, so we'll see I guess. The fact that I only do one series game and than go immediately back to open makes it feel less intimidating, and prevents me from getting too downtrodden about it if it's a loss because I just jump into another, much lower-stakes game before I give myself time to think about it.

And as a sidenote, (this is anecdotal but seems to be my experience) I feel like skill-matchmaking has been historically much better in series for me. So many of my open games have players with S+/X-rank badges (I've floundered between B+ and A the last few seasons) and they just kind of play out the game for me. I sometimes don't really feel like I'm getting a real experience of playing with people on my level, I'm just getting dropped onto/against teams of players more skilled than me and trying to contribute the best I can while barely making an impact. Not that that never happens in series but it feels less often. So I can sometimes leverage that to convince my brain to do series by telling myself that it's probably better for my development, which seems to have more persuasive power than anything else I've tried so far, hah.

I hope you can find something that works for you (and also if you do please let me know, lol)

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
I try to counter it by telling myself it's not that big of a deal. I keep trying to convince my emotional brain with the practical stuff, like that any points lost can always be gained back, my actual skill matters more than my in-game rank, when my skill improves my rank will follow naturally anyway, so I just need to play the best I can, ignore the points, and trust that the system will do its best to put me where I need to be to keep improving (even though it doesn't always succeed, lol).

But honestly I haven't been having much success; the emotional brain doesn't listen to reason. So I try to reframe my losses in a narrative sense, like telling myself to imagine how much greater it will be when I finally break through because I struggled this much to get there, that persistence is the most important skill in improving at anything and this is just an opportunity to use and strengthen that skill, etc. Sometimes that works, but it's still quite a struggle.
yeah the problem with anxiety is that it doesn't respond to logic. anxiety is an instinctual part of your brain, if there's even a 1% chance something could go wrong, your brain is going to stress out about it

ultimately i think you're probably right on this one, i've just gotta force myself to play it sometimes

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i usually just choose whatever has the best map modes. if it’s series, i choose series.

i tend to forget that i am in a series and not open. i never notice a big difference playing either one. i have noticed that it has better matchmaking than x rank though.
(in general x rank is a joke in this game, although i have only played tenta division so maybe that’s it)

the only time i was stressed was the very beginning of the 1st season when i played sploosh (it was my main in splat 2) and i had my first ever rank up battle. now i play an actual weapon and also learned how to actually play the game so i end up winning consistently enough to never lose points.

edit: i removed the question im just making that its own post

as for advice, i think if you just keep your focus and genuinely try and learn from what is happening in the game you can win consistently. i am not cursed with the suffering that is anxiety so i don’t think i can help for that part though.
this is what i said about trying to stay positive while losing games, maybe it can help

Last edited:

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Damn, I didn't realize this was such a common thing before.

I never really avoided series, but I had a similar thing where I only played X battles when I was SURE I'd win. Only when the stars would align and I'd get a rotation that I like, I'm feeling confident, I know that I have time ahead of me etc... but I tried to change that last season because I realized I just didn't play the mode much in the end, and I probably wasn't getting much better because of that. So basically my tip is to try your best to dedramatize it, just try to jump into series casually, and treat defeats as learning experiences. You'll probably get really bad loss streaks, it happens to all of us, but don't sweat it, they're just part of the process

Though at the end of the day idk how similar my experience is, since the matchmaking seems pretty different in every mode. But what Aiko Octo said sounds kind of helpful if you're feeling stressed out! Honestly it's really just a matter of time and practice, eventually the stakes will kind of fade into the background (at least they did for me).

Bennet

Inkling Cadet
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
I used to until I found a weapon that is really good with Rainmaker and that is the anarchy mode that I grind on

Lisku

Inkling Commander
yea. it seems very risky and you have to rely on the nintendo matchmaking gods for a good team.

Bennet

Inkling Cadet
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
or u can just get good and hope that someone else is good in ur team and that ur not matched with some idiots

Pronouns
He/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1602-7933-3414
I was just barely able to get to S rank at the end of chill season 2024. Then I had to do it again right after.

Pronouns
He/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1602-7933-3414
Yes but I had to do the rank up battle from A+ to S rank again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom