• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I generally don't use main slots on dmg because I like using unique abilities like ink resist and cold-blooded.
I don't think mains have to deal with stacking unless you have more then one main
just a thought

I like haunt over cold blooded though :D
How much Damage Ups will I need to maximize the Dynamo's effective range? I noticed that stacking 3 mains and 3 subs increases the bare 25.0 minimum to about 37.5

Just wondering about how much Damage Ups vs Ink Saver Mains I should use
keep in mind I don't use any damage ups, so in that regard, I wouldn't take my word for it

D

Deleted Member

Damage Up
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main

Damage Up
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main

Ink Resistance Up
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Damage Up
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main

Damage Up
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main

Ink Resistance Up
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
Ink Saver Main
If you are that dead set on saving ink, Noen sea slugs would be the best choice. It would be easy to get 3x ink recovery up, would save you a bunch of rerolls, and still has ink resistance

Sonic

Inkling
NNID
Sailings
Don't think I needed to make a thread for this so I commented here.

Is it just me, or has the Dynamo Rollers been getting more popular?
Before 1 or 2 weeks ago, I was usually the only person in the room with a Dynamo roller, but now I see 3 in a room (counting me) sometimes. I also notice Japaneses use it more often than U.S. people.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador

Before 1 or 2 weeks ago, I was usually the only person in the room with a Dynamo roller, but now I see 3 in a room (counting me) sometimes. I also notice Japaneses use it more often than U.S. people.
Exponential growth I guess. People thought in the beginning that it's a bad weapon, only few people tried to use it effectively. Over time a small amount of people learned the weapon and started smashing, which motivated some of the people they were playing with trying the weapon themselves, which in turn motivated more people once they got good with it. People definitely did warm up to it.

bluecrow

Senior Squid

ya it's starting to pick up in popularity
kinda have to remember though the weapon has it's own barriers of entry. Thanks to it being slow, a level 16 minimum and a bigger price tag then other weapons. Being slow isn't popular either

Sonic

Inkling
NNID
Sailings
Exponential growth I guess. People thought in the beginning that it's a bad weapon, only few people tried to use it effectively. Over time a small amount of people learned the weapon and started smashing, which motivated some of the people they were playing with trying the weapon themselves, which in turn motivated more people once they got good with it. People definitely did warm up to it.
ya it's starting to pick up in popularity
kinda have to remember though the weapon has it's own barriers of entry. Thanks to it being slow, a level 16 minimum and a bigger price tag then other weapons. Being slow isn't popular either
True to both of these. Definitely the slow part.

Speaking of slow, you think Run Speed Up/Swim Speed Up would be useful to have if you're using the Dynamo Roller? Despite using this weapon alot I think I'm pretty scrub with it and would like some tips.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
True to both of these. Definitely the slow part.

Speaking of slow, you think Run Speed Up/Swim Speed Up would be useful to have if you're using the Dynamo Roller? Despite using this weapon alot I think I'm pretty scrub with it and would like some tips.
swim speed is nice for using the swim->jump->swing to keep each of your swings more mobile, it's also nice for re-positioning quickly which you may need to do a lot depending on the map or situation.

run speed helps you most when you get stuck on enemy ink, which can happen often then you want with your main attack being so slow to get out. it's unfortunate that run speed up doesn't effect while rolling or swinging

Last edited:

Sonic

Inkling
NNID
Sailings
swim speed is nice for using the swim->jump->swing to keep each of your swings more mobile, it's also nice for re-positioning quickly which you may need to do a lot depending on the map or situation.

run speed helps you most when you get stuck on enemy ink, which can happen often then you want with your main attack being so slow to get out. it's unfortunate that run speed up doesn't effect while rolling or swinging
WOW, Really? Shaame. SMH.

There's always a handy guide you could use *wink wink*
...Link me I got the lazies.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
WOW, Really? Shaame. SMH.
there was like a full week after the game was released and someone was like... wait a second...this doesn't do jack
was kinda funny, while being a real kick in the butt

Last edited:

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
there was like a full week after the game was release and someone was like... wait a second...this doesn't do jack
was kinda funny, while being a real kick in the butt
There's still the occasional poor soul here or on Reddit who's all like "I'm using all run speed ups on my roller so I can roll faster", and sometimes I see rollers in-game who're hilariously stacked in run speed up

...Link me I got the lazies.
Here ya go!

http://squidboards.com/guides/the-s...eneral-guide-to-the-dynamo-roller-ver-0-5.63/

bluecrow

Senior Squid
There's still the occasional poor soul here or on Reddit who's all like "I'm using all run speed ups on my roller so I can roll faster", and sometimes I see rollers in-game who're hilariously stacked in run speed up
you know where I'd love run speed up? Kelp dome, that's about it

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
you know where I'd love run speed up? Kelp dome, that's about it
I mean, I still carry run speed up because the effect is actually pretty great and running is more prevalent than you'd think (also the blue moto boots look cool in conjunction with the rest of my set), but still dedicating 2 or more main slots for run speed and a couple of sub slots is just so terrible that it's great again

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I mean, I still carry run speed up because the effect is actually pretty great and running is more prevalent than you'd think (also the blue moto boots look cool in conjunction with the rest of my set), but still dedicating 2 or more main slots for run speed and a couple of sub slots is just so terrible that it's great again
I'm mainly just mad that rolling over grates and things does not retain your speed. no scratch that it's stupid because it should do that. I can't speed up my roller why the hell can something that isn't enemy ink slow it down

D

Deleted Member

Yes, the Dynamo Roller is definitely getting more popular. Like bluecrow mentioned, its exponential growth.

Run Speed Up is great for Kelp Dome since the Dynamo Roller should be inking from the grated walkways due to the height advantage, which you cannot swim on.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Run Speed Up is great for Kelp Dome since the Dynamo Roller should be inking from the grated walkways due to the height advantage, which you cannot swim on.
Any enemy with a functioning brain will try to shaft you from below where you're pretty weak/blindspotted, and you're basically just presenting yourself towards chargers as bait up there. Only ink from the catwalks for a short time, otherwise try to stay low (or on the solid elevated... thing in the middle). Dynamo is also pretty good in clearing the catwalks of enemies from below, another reason to preferably traverse the ground here.

D

Deleted Member

One of the Dynamo Roller's biggest weaknesses are chargers, and I feel like the standard Dynamo Roller has nothing to check them. Echolocator only tells you were they are, and doesn't help against a good charger with map awareness who doesn't get ambushed so easily. Sprinklers are extremely overrated and are only good for Splat Zones.

The Gold Dynamo Roller has two ways to deal with chargers: Splat Bombs and Inkstrikes. Splat Bombs can be thrown faster and farther than the Dynamo's tidal wave fling and instantly splats the opponent if a direct hit. The range can also be increased with Bomb Range Up. Ink Strike can be launched from anywhere on the map and can hit anywhere on the map. Its a great way to flush snipers out of their nests while out of danger.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Sprinklers are extremely overrated and are only good for Splat Zones.
I thought it was common knowledge they suck, just cause they cost so much
you can still build "walls" with them in turf wars/splat zones (map dependent though)

In my personal opinion, the .96 gal is a bigger problem

ssupermario92

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ssupermario92
I thought it was common knowledge they suck, just cause they cost so much
you can still build "walls" with them in turf wars/splat zones (map dependent though)

In my personal opinion, the .96 gal is a bigger problem
it's all about how you approach them and having patience. if you just go balls to the wall then yeah it's gonna be a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom