• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
That's just lag for ya. I've noticed it with inkzooka blasts too.

Ever play a multiplayer FPS and die even when you CLEARLY got a wall between you and your attacker before you did?
I suspected as much. I'm a big Gears of War player I know all about Client side hit detection vs server side
They implemented CSHD in TU6 for gears 2 to mask the fact their netcode wss on par with what Nintendo have lumped us with here
All of a sudden you're trading kills with players
My favourite is dying a good 2 seconds after I kill someone else but knowing I probably should have died myself anyway and probably got a lucky kill

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I suspected as much. I'm a big Gears of War player I know all about Client side hit detection vs server side
They implemented CSHD in TU6 for gears 2 to mask the fact their netcode wss on par with what Nintendo have lumped us with here
All of a sudden you're trading kills with players
My favourite is dying a good 2 seconds after I kill someone else but knowing I probably should have died myself anyway and probably got a lucky kill
Also consider that Splatoon projectiles are not instant hitscan projectiles, splatting someone doesn't make the shots they fired before their
demise null and void which is why double splats are fairly common. It's not strictly lag.

D

Deleted Member

Should I use Ink Resistance Up or Bomb Sniffer with the Gold Dynamo? Bomb Sniffer is amazing in Tower Control and Splat Zones since both modes are based around one specific area, but not as much in Turf Wars. While Ink Resistance is great in all 3 modes and is a still great ability even after the nerf.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Should I use Ink Resistance Up or Bomb Sniffer with the Gold Dynamo? Bomb Sniffer is amazing in Tower Control and Splat Zones since both modes are based around one specific area, but not as much in Turf Wars. While Ink Resistance is great in all 3 modes and is a still great ability even after the nerf.
Bomb Sniffer is only really useful if you anticipate a lot of explosives being thrown around. Just like Cold-Blooded is only really useful
if there are point sensors/echolocators.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I use defense up instead now, but I would prefer ink resist in any mode, when talking about the 2. Just because swinging takes a full second, so It is really easy to get stranded in enemy ink. I'm happy you still like it, just keep in mind the nerf was huge. It was like a 35% walking speed on enemy ink increase.

gotta love playing against the japanese.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

Bomb Sniffer is only really useful if you anticipate a lot of explosives being thrown around. Just like Cold-Blooded is only really useful
if there are point sensors/echolocators.
Do you prefer Ninja Squid or Cold-Blooded?

Also, I'm thinking of some Gold Dynamo spreads to use. Bold is main abilities.

Damage Up
Ink Saver (Main)
Ink Saver (Main)
Ink Saver (Main)

Cold-Blooded
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Recovery Up

Ink Resistance Up
Defense Up
Defense Up
Defense Up

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Do you prefer Ninja Squid or Cold-Blooded?

Damage Up
Ink Saver (Main)
Ink Saver (Main)
Ink Saver (Main)

Cold-Blooded
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Recovery Up

Ink Resistance Up
Defense Up
Defense Up
Defense Up
It depends on how much swimming I plan to do near enemies. Now that Ninja Squid noticeably slows you down you can't just throw it on carelessly
anymore.

Do you actually have the gear that you're suggesting? Even so, I would think running both ink saver main and ink recovery is a bit overkill.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
the effect of ink recovery is pretty negligible, I'd definitely suggest taking ink saver and replace ink recovery with something more useful.

Also, is there actually ink resistance gear with the inkline brand? I for sure don't have any and I've got all shoes and hats and almost all shirts... otherwise, good look fighting against the odds on that one.

D

Deleted Member

the effect of ink recovery is pretty negligible, I'd definitely suggest taking ink saver and replace ink recovery with something more useful.
What do you suggest I use?

Does it take 3 Defense Up subs to make the .52 gal a 3 shot?

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
What do you suggest I use?

I think 2 actually suffice, but of course if the enemy gal invests even one sub ability into damage, it's moot anyway. Honestly it all comes down to preference, no ability truly sticks out that much anyway. The effect is either negligible or situational.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Also, is there actually ink resistance gear with the inkline brand?
I checked, there is not
there is bomb sniffer though
In the firing range there are three targets that have 1, 2, and 3 defense up on them respectively, so you can test with the base weapon and with damage up as well

Damage Up
Ink Saver (Main)
Ink Saver (Main)
Ink Saver (Main)

Cold-Blooded
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Recovery Up
Ink Recovery Up

Ink Resistance Up
Defense Up
Defense Up
Defense Up
I will always find abilities to be a personal preference.
but then again I have a thing for stacking defense, even with diminishing returns
and if you think I'm joking I have two inkline pieces of gear and a defense up main

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
man, dynamo on tower control port mackerel is just brutal. 90% of the match happening in narrow passages is not very pleasant. on turf wars and splat zones you can at least concentrate on the 2 wide sections and spend the least amount of time in the passages, but on TC trying to guard/ride the tower at least all the way just straight doesn't work. I don't think it's completely ineffective, but it feels very handicapped to me. How do you cope?

bluecrow

Senior Squid
man, dynamo on tower control port mackerel is just brutal. 90% of the match happening in narrow passages is not very pleasant. on turf wars and splat zones you can at least concentrate on the 2 wide sections and spend the least amount of time in the passages, but on TC trying to guard/ride the tower at least all the way just straight doesn't work. I don't think it's completely ineffective, but it feels very handicapped to me. How do you cope?
perfect way to cope;
I don't play TC cause it sucks.
Edit: I should explain why, but I won't unless someone asks

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Why does tower control suck?
I asked.
It favors really specific subs and specials :inkmine::bubbler: are things you see all the time, but when do you see :echolocator: or :seeker:?
never or almost never because they are easily sub optimal for the mode. as a result it doesn't allow a player to play their style of game and if your team doesn't have a :bubbler: it is at a serious disadvantage. Random teams are already hard to work with, but it's even harder to adapt match to match if it doesn't have 1 or 2 of the right specials

Additionally the mechanics behind the central pillar on the tower are very ambiguous. You're not really sure what it will do or when it will do it. Bumping into it as a roller player will actually push you back or maybe it won't it is kinda impossible to tell.

I like the concept and idea, but a lot of the unnecessary strengths certain weapons and specials have, could be remedied by making the tower slower and giving teams more time before it resets to a neutral tower. of course this wont happen because apparently it would be less fun that way (I'd have more fun that way).

TLDR; small changes would improve the mode, but that won't happen, so it would be better off as a nonranked mode. Which probably also wont happen

D

Deleted Member

Does Damage Up make any relevant differences? I'm not sure whether to run Damage Up or not.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
Does Damage Up make any relevant differences? I'm not sure whether to run Damage Up or not.
think of it more of as range up, up front will still kill, tipper will still suck, but there will be a little extra work space for the maximum range that will kill

It's up to you whether you want it or not

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Heya people! I just added a Weaknesses section to the Dynamo guide where I try to analytically break down how a Dynamo is exploitable and how a Dynamo should offensively behave to make up for the drawbacks and what defensive options are there to protect oneself from ambush.

Since again this is an interpretation speaking from personal experience coupled with educated consideration, I fear I neglected some aspect or the other or even completely misinterpreted certain relationships, and the worst thing I can do in the guide is give completely wrong advice. Can you give me (reasonably structured and logically sound) arguments about other things I should cover in the weaknesses sections and point out if I gave wrong or misleading details? Or alternatively confirm me so I feel validated and can develop some kind of superiority complex over it?

Here a link for the lazies!

http://squidboards.com/guides/the-s...eneral-guide-to-the-dynamo-roller-ver-0-5.63/

to make it easier, CTRL+F and then search for "[WEAK]".

Also added a new tech (Fake-Out Flick)!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

think of it more of as range up, up front will still kill, tipper will still suck, but there will be a little extra work space for the maximum range that will kill

It's up to you whether you want it or not
How much Damage Ups will I need to maximize the Dynamo's effective range? I noticed that stacking 3 mains and 3 subs increases the bare 25.0 minimum to about 37.5

Just wondering about how much Damage Ups vs Ink Saver Mains I should use

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
How much Damage Ups will I need to maximize the Dynamo's effective range? I noticed that stacking 3 mains and 3 subs increases the bare 25.0 minimum to about 37.5

Just wondering about how much Damage Ups vs Ink Saver Mains I should use
Of course theoretically you'd need all 3 main and all 9 sub slots full of damage in order to maximize, but nobody would do that. I personally stack 4 subs. The bonus of each subsequent dmg up after that becomes negligibly small (4th is still 25% of a main ability, 5th is 12.5%... I think?), so stacking other abilities becomes more worth it at this point. I also find that 4 subs get me sufficient reliabilty. I generally don't use main slots on dmg because I like using unique abilities like ink resist and cold-blooded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom