• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Hey, uh, so, I've been going back to weapons I previously dropped and seeing if I can use them at all, and I really underrated the Dynamo Rollers. I used to think they were awful because they rolled slowly and took a bit to swing, and they were so unlike the Splat Roller (don't think Carbon was out at the time), so I dropped them in favor of quicker weapons. Now that I've had some time to work with them, their power and range have drawn me in (I really like strong weapons, and ones that can midrange decently). Still, I have several questions, and if you don't mind I'll just drop them all here:
1) Which one should I use? I like the swing on both of them, so it really just comes down to the loadouts on this one. The regular Dynamo's arguably better for covering areas since it has Sprinkler, and I can prefill my ink tank instantly with Echolocator (and also it shows me where the enemies are, but that's not as important to me), but I have no idea how to handle Chargers with it and I hate relying on my teammates to take out Chargers. On the other hand, the Gold Dynamo's got answers to Chargers and other weapons that outrange it in Splat Bombs and Inkstrikes, but I haven't ever been good at aiming Splat Bombs so they're fairly ineffectual when I try to use them. I want to say I should use the Gold Dynamo, but I figure I should ask, since I'm not 100% sure.
2) I've been using 2 Damage Up main abilities (a carry-over from using Octobrush, which kinda needs Damage Ups) with a bunch of Ink Recovery Ups, Quick Respawn and Ink Saver Main sub-abilities (depending on which gear I'm using, I have one Head/Clothing/Shoe each with a Damage Up main ability), and Ink Saver Sub main with Ink Saver Sub/Main/Recovery Up subs (Octoling Armor). Is this a good loadout? Should I replace both Damage Up gear, or keep one? I'm not sure Damage Ups make much of a difference on the Dynamo (maybe toward the end of its range? Well, that was my logic for keeping them anyway), but I dunno.
2.5) If I drop one of the Damage Ups, what should I replace it with? I was thinking Bomb Range Up, since both Dynamos use thrown Subs and the increased range would help when dealing with Chargers, but Swim Speed Up could be useful too (since rolling won't get me anywhere quickly, swimming has pretty much become my main mode of transportation), and I'm wondering if Run Speed Up would do anything for the Dynamos (since I spend all my time either swimming or jump-swinging at the moment, I'm not sure), or maybe Ink Saver Main, since this thing goes through ink fairly quickly, or maybe Special Charge Up, to get more frequent Inkstrikes or instant refills Echolocators (mostly Inkstrikes though). Maybe Quick Respawn, to respawn faster (since I tend to get splatted pretty often no matter what weapon I'm using), or Quick Super Jump, to reach teammates faster (though that's a bit risky). I already have Ink Saver Sub as a main ability on the Octoling Armor, so I don't think I need another one of those, and I already have a bunch of Ink Recovery Ups as sub-abilities, so I don't think having it as a main ability too would do much.
3) How the hell do I deal with Chargers with the regular Dynamo Roller? It just feels so hopeless trying to get near a good E-Liter (and it's always an E-Liter, why did that get a scope again?), I have no idea how to do it, at least with the Gold I can throw up a Splat Bomb and hope for the best (or drop an Inkstrike, though that never hits).
4) I understand that I should jump when I swing the roller, but should I be jumping in a specific direction? Like, should I jump from side to side, or backward, or forward, or just in place?
5) Should I ever roll on the ground with Dynamo Rollers? It moves slowly while rolling, and the swing covers turf at a decent enough speed anyway, so I don't see any use for rolling, I just swing all the time unless I'm recharging or throwing a sub or Inkstriking.
6) Are there any times outside of dealing with Chargers (or other higher-elevation enemies) where I should throw out Splat Bombs? Because I never do right now, I just focus on jump-swings and use my Special when I get it. I know how to use Sprinklers decently enough (they're pretty simple, just throw them at a place that needs inking, then leave it to do its thing), but I completely forget Splat Bombs exist 90% of the time.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
1) Which one should I use? I like the swing on both of them, so it really just comes down to the loadouts on this one. The regular Dynamo's arguably better for covering areas since it has Sprinkler, and I can prefill my ink tank instantly with Echolocator (and also it shows me where the enemies are, but that's not as important to me), but I have no idea how to handle Chargers with it and I hate relying on my teammates to take out Chargers. On the other hand, the Gold Dynamo's got answers to Chargers and other weapons that outrange it in Splat Bombs and Inkstrikes, but I haven't ever been good at aiming Splat Bombs so they're fairly ineffectual when I try to use them. I want to say I should use the Gold Dynamo, but I figure I should ask, since I'm not 100% sure.
Well I mean, you pretty much answered your own question already. It's a strategical preference thing, none of the kits are objectively superior (or at least only to a small degree). If you feel like you can't properly use splat bombs, the right course of action would be to practice using splat bombs.

2) I've been using 2 Damage Up main abilities (a carry-over from using Octobrush, which kinda needs Damage Ups) with a bunch of Ink Recovery Ups, Quick Respawn and Ink Saver Main sub-abilities (depending on which gear I'm using, I have one Head/Clothing/Shoe each with a Damage Up main ability), and Ink Saver Sub main with Ink Saver Sub/Main/Recovery Up subs (Octoling Armor). Is this a good loadout? Should I replace both Damage Up gear, or keep one? I'm not sure Damage Ups make much of a difference on the Dynamo (maybe toward the end of its range? Well, that was my logic for keeping them anyway), but I dunno.
Damage up are super useful on dynamo because you more reliably kill at a farther reach. ink saver mains and ink recovery are pretty effective as well. You should desperately use ink resistance on shoes, and ideally one of the unique abilities of the shirt (either cold blood or ninja squid, for the latter you need to sacrifice a lot of gear slots to compensate for the swim speed penalty though so think twice). The rest is pretty much just up to preference and nuances in personal strategy (e.g. you die a lot, you take the abilities related to death; you like to be mobile, take the mobility abilities; you want faster special weapons, take the special charge related abilities).

3) How the hell do I deal with Chargers with the regular Dynamo Roller? It just feels so hopeless trying to get near a good E-Liter (and it's always an E-Liter, why did that get a scope again?), I have no idea how to do it, at least with the Gold I can throw up a Splat Bomb and hope for the best (or drop an Inkstrike, though that never hits).
Use the environment as an obstacle course. never be too exposed on high ground. Find and/or build an approach path to the sniper. The longer you stay undetected, the better of course. If they're somewhere on top, try to at first hug or nearly hug the wall so they can't immediately aim down. Once you're in reach of the charger, smoke them.

4) I understand that I should jump when I swing the roller, but should I be jumping in a specific direction? Like, should I jump from side to side, or backward, or forward, or just in place?
Entirely depends on what you're doing. Practically all of those. You jump to the side if you're strafing. You jump forwards to lunge into the attack. You jump backwards to retreat and keep unwelcome followers at distance. You jump on the spot if you're trying to flick into/onto some place above you, and if you're trying to distribute ink over a more evenly spread area.

5) Should I ever roll on the ground with Dynamo Rollers? It moves slowly while rolling, and the swing covers turf at a decent enough speed anyway, so I don't see any use for rolling, I just swing all the time unless I'm recharging or throwing a sub or Inkstriking.
Only in very very specific situations. You roll on the ground a little bit if you jump flicked into enemy ink and your mobility is now mitigated, but you need a safe spot real quick (before you have to wait for the next flick to go through its animation cycle). You roll on the ground if your flick didn't hit your enemy and they're very dangerously close to you, in which case you don't go for another flick (in the time being the enemy would already kill you two times over), but you transition into the roller position and try to roll them over. Doesn't always work.

6) Are there any times outside of dealing with Chargers (or other higher-elevation enemies) where I should throw out Splat Bombs? Because I never do right now, I just focus on jump-swings and use my Special when I get it. I know how to use Sprinklers decently enough (they're pretty simple, just throw them at a place that needs inking, then leave it to do its thing), but I completely forget Splat Bombs exist 90% of the time.
They are a good pressure tool to get enemies out of advantagous spots. The moment of flight can be used to pick them out with the last bit of ink remaining in your tank. They can be used as a bit of a pressure and pushing tool that is also able to take out inattentive players.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Well I mean, you pretty much answered your own question already. It's a strategical preference thing, none of the kits are objectively superior (or at least only to a small degree). If you feel like you can't properly use splat bombs, the right course of action would be to practice using splat bombs.
Alright, so I'll have to dosome more games with both before I decide. Leaning toward Gold a bit though.

Damage up are super useful on dynamo because you more reliably kill at a farther reach. ink saver mains and ink recovery are pretty effective as well. You should desperately use ink resistance on shoes, and ideally one of the unique abilities of the shirt (either cold blood or ninja squid, for the latter you need to sacrifice a lot of gear slots to compensate for the swim speed penalty though so think twice). The rest is pretty much just up to preference and nuances in personal strategy (e.g. you die a lot, you take the abilities related to death; you like to be mobile, take the mobility abilities; you want faster special weapons, take the special charge related abilities).
Alright, I can toss Ink Resistance shoes on, and maybe Cold-Blooded (I've never liked Ninja Squid, too many slots have to be used up to make its speed alright for me, and it's just too slow otherwise), or maybe Swim Speed Up.

Use the environment as an obstacle course. never be too exposed on high ground. Find and/or build an approach path to the sniper. The longer you stay undetected, the better of course. If they're somewhere on top, try to at first hug or nearly hug the wall so they can't immediately aim down. Once you're in reach of the charger, smoke them.
Okay, I can do that.
But what do I do on Moray Towers? Y'know, when they're perched above the center and can shoot across to your side, even to your Splat Zone. They're so annoying to deal with, at least I can go around Chargers on the other maps, but I have to do something about the E-Liter there to even have a shot at winning, otherwise we just get overrun.

Entirely depends on what you're doing. Practically all of those. You jump to the side if you're strafing. You jump forwards to lunge into the attack. You jump backwards to retreat and keep unwelcome followers at distance. You jump on the spot if you're trying to flick into/onto some place above you, and if you're trying to distribute ink over a more evenly spread area.
Alright, I can do that.

Only in very very specific situations. You roll on the ground a little bit if you jump flicked into enemy ink and your mobility is now mitigated, but you need a safe spot real quick (before you have to wait for the next flick to go through its animation cycle). You roll on the ground if your flick didn't hit your enemy and they're very dangerously close to you, in which case you don't go for another flick (in the time being the enemy would already kill you two times over), but you transition into the roller position and try to roll them over. Doesn't always work.
Oh, I see. Thanks.

They are a good pressure tool to get enemies out of advantagous spots. The moment of flight can be used to pick them out with the last bit of ink remaining in your tank. They can be used as a bit of a pressure and pushing tool that is also able to take out inattentive players.
Ah, alright. If I remember I have them, I'll certainly give these a try.

Thanks, man.

Njok

Bouncer
The regular Dynamo's arguably better for covering areas since it has Sprinkler, and I can prefill my ink tank instantly with Echolocator (and also it shows me where the enemies are, but that's not as important to me)
It's not echo that refills your ink tank, but activating your special. So this will work with inkstrike as well (i still prefer echo). Just adding this in case you wasn't aware of that :)

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
It's not echo that refills your ink tank, but activating your special. So this will work with inkstrike as well (i still prefer echo). Just adding this in case you wasn't aware of that :)
this is functionally correct, but practically in the time you fire an inkstrike (starting animation, choosing the spot, recovery), you can refill your tank in the conventional way anyway. Echo has no impeding animation and you are free to move and ink the instant you press the button.

Njok

Bouncer
Yeah true, i wanted to add it just in case because i wasn't sure in the way he worded it :)

And your point is actually one of the biggest reasons i don't like inkstrike at all.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Yeah true, i wanted to add it just in case because i wasn't sure in the way he worded it :)

And your point is actually one of the biggest reasons i don't like inkstrike at all.
This is partly why I prefer Killer Wails over Inkstrikes. All you need to use it are your own two eyes and it's easier to get into
position to use it, instead of inkstrike needing to find a really cozy spot and then fumbling with the map trying to find the exact spot you want to fire
on.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
This is partly why I prefer Killer Wails over Inkstrikes. All you need to use it are your own two eyes and it's easier to get into
position to use it, instead of inkstrike needing to find a really cozy spot and then fumbling with the map trying to find the exact spot you want to fire
on.
Yeah, I kinda consider the inkstrike an inferior killer wail that lasts shorter, has verticality instead of the arguably more useful horizontality, and somewhat functions as an opaque smokescreen. The inking aspect is a bit useless because the inking area is recovered in almost no time anyway, unless it's the last second of a turf wars match. It's still really useful as a hard pushing and choke breaking tool though and is a good fit on the dynamo. I'd take a dynamo with a killer wail in a heartbeat though.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
it's all about how you approach them and having patience. if you just go balls to the wall then yeah it's gonna be a problem
you think I go balls to the wall on a dynamo? not really my style. I like playing as a wall
1) Which one should I use?
most cases gold, standard is better at walling which will make it preferred on maps with more open area and less high points (dynamo is arguably one of the best weapons at warehouse).
Where as gold is better tooled to forced movement out of its opponent
2)Is this a good loadout?
I prefer some defense up, damage up is more of a range up.
For the most part the only ability I say you must have on dynamo is ink resist
3) How the hell do I deal with Chargers with the regular Dynamo Roller?
you play gold cause that is what it is for :P
charger who knows what it's doing wont let you approach what so ever on standard. Leaving you to rely on a handful of things, or worse a risky approach. Which is doable on some maps, but as some advice don't take regular dynamo on mall
the situation is based on your next swing, just remember jumping before you swing will carry some (not a lot) of your momentum. So you can chose to
swim->jump->swing for movement or swing->jump for range.
5) Should I ever roll on the ground with Dynamo Rollers?
you can always quickly cover an area after swinging to allow you some work space for your next swing. other wise it will see very situation use
6) Are there any times outside of dealing with Chargers (or other higher-elevation enemies) where I should throw out Splat Bombs?
gold dynamo is very good at forcing approaches, so throwing a :splatbomb: where someone is hiding can be a good way to set up a swing. to the same effect you can do that with :inkstrike: as well
:splatbomb: can be used as a way to make opponents back off before you :inkstrike:, which will refill your ink when you use it anyways
:splatbomb: are also pretty safe, so getting a bad set up isn't the end of your day and they're pretty versatile

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I know how people say the gold is a much better offensive weapon, but the regular can arguably perform a similar role. Splat Bombs do not have much more range than a flick, but have a main purpose of scaring people off. Sprinklers not only gain ink to charge your special but can distract opponents long enough to strike. Echolocators (Especially in TW) can be a good offensive perk allowing your entire team to track and splat enemies, and it can be charged regularly.

Although I am biased towards the Dynamo (It has my favorite sub AND special) I agree that the Gold is better for splat zones due to the power of the inkstrike.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I know how people say the gold is a much better offensive weapon, but the regular can arguably perform a similar role. Splat Bombs do not have much more range than a flick, but have a main purpose of scaring people off. Sprinklers not only gain ink to charge your special but can distract opponents long enough to strike. Echolocators (Especially in TW) can be a good offensive perk allowing your entire team to track and splat enemies, and it can be charged regularly.

Although I am biased towards the Dynamo (It has my favorite sub AND special) I agree that the Gold is better for splat zones due to the power of the inkstrike.
The point is not that the splat bomb has a similar range to the flick. The point is that it reliably kills at a much farther range than the flick, which only reliably kills a couple of lines before you, unreliably kills a little distance after that (depending on RNG, the probability going down the farther you move away) and almost as good as never immediately kills beyond that, but either only hits without killing or doesn't hit at all due to random ink drop distribution (though it is still useful in scaring enemies away or punishing them if they linger around somewhere too long). You can simply not always expect to kill someone doing that because it's practically a gamble, while the splat bomb will always explode and damage in the area exactly where you intend to lay it down. Similarly, because the splat bomb has immediately threatening killing potential, it's useful in evacuating an important spot much more succinctly than the random tip of the flick and you can immediately push and move in once you've thrown it (because of the short throwing animation compared to the long wind up and recovery of the flick).

D

Deleted Member

Gold Dynamo is also better for Turf Wars too.

bluecrow

Senior Squid

:sprinkler: is bad even if it is the right weapon to get the sub
it uses too much ink for it's benefits. the either need to reduce it's cost or actually make it worth 5/6 of a tank
Gold Dynamo is also better for Turf Wars too.
stage dependent would be my argument

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
:sprinkler: is bad even if it is the right weapon to get the sub
it uses too much ink for it's benefits. the either need to reduce it's cost or actually make it worth 5/6 of a tank
Use Ink Saver Sub, it'll make Sprinklers a bit more cost-efficient (up to 40% more efficient, if I recall the strategy guide correctly (and if the guide is correct)). Admittedly, I only like Sprinkler when it comes with Inkstrike, but that's just because I like Inkstrike. Also admittedly, that's quite a lot of slots going toward Ink Saver Sub instead of other stuff (though even just one Ink Saver Sub main ability and one sub ability should help significantly with the cost), so I could see not wanting it, but it feels necessary even for the Gold (Splat Bombs cost a bit more than I feel they're worth, and I can't use them after a couple of swings otherwise).

The point is not that the splat bomb has a similar range to the flick. The point is that it reliably kills at a much farther range than the flick, which only reliably kills a couple of lines before you, unreliably kills a little distance after that (depending on RNG, the probability going down the farther you move away) and almost as good as never immediately kills beyond that, but either only hits without killing or doesn't hit at all due to random ink drop distribution (though it is still useful in scaring enemies away or punishing them if they linger around somewhere too long). You can simply not always expect to kill someone doing that because it's practically a gamble, while the splat bomb will always explode and damage in the area exactly where you intend to lay it down. Similarly, because the splat bomb has immediately threatening killing potential, it's useful in evacuating an important spot much more succinctly than the random tip of the flick and you can immediately push and move in once you've thrown it (because of the short throwing animation compared to the long wind up and recovery of the flick).
Also, you can increase the Splat Bomb's range with Bomb Range Up (true for Sprinkler too, I think, but I think it's more important for Splat Bombs), which could probably be useful.
Though now I have a new question: If I have a bunch of Damage Up abilities (say, two Main and one Sub), can I reliably kill with the flick? Do I need more? Could I get away with less? Is it impossible to kill reliably at the edge, regardless of how many Damage Ups I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom