• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
The extremely long start-up of the splash attack and slow rolling spped is the main risk of this weapon.

It isn't as unskilled of the like of a aerospray.
I would say that it is the aerospray requires someone to point at an often evading target the Dynamo you dont even have to get in close and the startup may be slower that the other rollers but ive never noticed it myself as I wont use them
I tried the Krak-On in the first week after everyone was spamming it but I couldn't like it. Seemed so cheap

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I think I was actually able to reach the other prime sniping spot with Dynamo jumping? That might need some checking. Definitely can keep the middle inked up though.
Okay, this was bull. You definitely can't reach the other sniping spot, you in fact can't quite cover all of the middle section, the opposite corner is just out of reach.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Okay, this was bull. You definitely can't reach the other sniping spot, you in fact can't quite cover all of the middle section, the opposite corner is just out of reach.
Although I did find out you can throw a splat bomb to the other middle vantage point if you squid jump from your vantage point and throw it in mid-air, and it explodes so fast enemies often don't have enough time to react. and specifically on Arowana you can reach all sniper nests from the middle below.

Eternal Blue

Inkling
NNID
BlueEternal
Wow, thank you for this topic. I don't yet have this but I kept seeing it online the other day, wasn't sure how good it was. I personally prefer the standard Splat Roller.
Didn't pay attention to how slow they were, the only people using them didn't seem too good so I just ignored them. XD Now I know not to waste my time with it at the moment.

Tommy

Inkling
NNID
boopkabam
I'm better with the Dynamo Roller than I am with the Krak-On Roller. I like both, but the Sprinkler and Echolater are very helpful for me when I'm trying to maneuver around the map. Especially the range and strength, I won't have to drop down to a lower elevation on stages like Bluefin Depot or Arowana Mall to ink the other players.

I still dislike the inking speed though, but I've gotten used to it since switching from the two regular-speed rollers.

Eternal Blue

Inkling
NNID
BlueEternal
When I get it I guess I'll give it a try. I still haven't unlocked it yet. I am LV 20, so I can buy it though. You get it from the regular missions right, not the amiibo ones?

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
AFAIk amiibo missions only give you reskins of the early weps.

Kiritora

Inkster Jr.
Heya people! I'm currently writing a general and advanced guide for the Dynamo Roller, and I'm about halfway (or maybe more than half) done and already published a bit. Let me know what you think!
As a dynamo main I find that you opinion of the sprinkler being pointless is kinda silly. If you use it like I do you toss it at them and occupy it with them enough to give yourself cover to do whatever you need to do. I use it so that they have to get rid of it and when they do I pop out and get them. You already move slow enough so anything you can do to space people is best.

I can agree with the damage ups for the reason that the damage does decrease after the arch. I find that at least two gets most splats done away from you as possible which is exactly what you want to be doing. You don't want to be too close to anyone.

I'd also like to say that the gyro controls help with your jumps. I find quick turning a necessity with the dynamo. Even if not, making sure you're moving while jumping and flicking is good too. Depending on the situation I'll jump forwards backwards and sideways. You're a harder target to hit this way.

Eternal Blue

Inkling
NNID
BlueEternal
When I get it I guess I'll give it a try. I still haven't unlocked it yet. I am LV 20, so I can buy it though. You get it from the regular missions right, not the amiibo ones?
Oh okay, thank you for letting me know that. I haven't completed all the missions cause I haven't had the motivation too. I found my basic costume I like so the bonus ones aren't as cool as I'd like. Now that you told me about the weapons I might just wait til way later to beat them.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
As a dynamo main I find that you opinion of the sprinkler being pointless is kinda silly. If you use it like I do you toss it at them and occupy it with them enough to give yourself cover to do whatever you need to do. I use it so that they have to get rid of it and when they do I pop out and get them. You already move slow enough so anything you can do to space people is best.
Okay, here's the issue. The Sprinkler eats a lot of ink and leaves you with maybe only 1 full Flick left in the tank. That means that if you don't want to play risky, you have to get your tank at least a bit refilled, unless you REALLY can make that one shot count. You dedicate a bit of time towards a trick - in the same time you could just take out your enemies more reliably through stealth methods anyway. The trick can also backfire because smart enemies see through the plot and take you out first before disposing the Sprinkler (which is easier because you're more vulnerable from an empty tank), and even if they didn't consider the strategy they quickly learn about and adapt to it, which makes it somewhat expire or you can't do it too often so you can keep it a surprise. It's easy to predict and easy to circumvent. Overall, I find Sprinkler distraction tactics way too unreliable and dependent on whether your enemy falls for it, and the risk doesn't really make up for the benefit compared to other methods of attack. Maybe useful for Turf Wars where most people are mediocre, but can you pull that in A Ranked lobbies? I'll edit the section to be a little more neutral I guess, but I don't really see a lot of value in it. It's a satisfying tactic for sure, but does it hold up?

I can agree with the damage ups for the reason that the damage does decrease after the arch. I find that at least two gets most splats done away from you as possible which is exactly what you want to be doing. You don't want to be too close to anyone.
Being close has value as well, especially against Chargers. It can be harder to hit, but if you've got the re-aiming thing mid-air down while dancing around your opponent then it's not too bad (splatting someone from up close is actually more reliable than trying it from a distance and risk them having opportunity to flee).

I'd also like to say that the gyro controls help with your jumps. I find quick turning a necessity with the dynamo. Even if not, making sure you're moving while jumping and flicking is good too. Depending on the situation I'll jump forwards backwards and sideways. You're a harder target to hit this way.
Oh absolutely! I would never do the stuff I do on analogue stick. I don't even know if it's possible with the right stick.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I really dislike all the rollers and this one is the worst of them all
None of them seem balanced in the risk vs reward stakes whereas the guns for the most part are
For example...
The Dyanmo throws a tidal wave of ink which seems to be inescapable if you're in the middle of the radius and kills in one hit it seems to also throw ink at a similar range to most of the automatic guns. Needless to say it requires no effort or skill to use and has little risk associated with using it
You are going to have to get good, and learn to exploit the weapon's weakness. Believe it or not, the Dyanmo Roller is easier to beat in 1v1s, than the other rollers; Ink Brush aside... Throwing ink is a high risk, high reward. It takes a while to do, you have to aim a bit over someone's head and lets not forget about the cool down. All you have to do, is pay attention, swim towards them as they throw ink, and then they die, while they are still in cool down. There is a little more to it then that, but the average Dyanmo player will fall to this tactic, often. @Kiritora Can give some insight on the type of tactics that work well against her Dyanmo.

A Dyanmo Roller should be playing a passive-aggressive style anyway. I'm seeing talk about killing and what not... The Dyanmo isn't per say about killing, I think that is a common misconception. It's about supporting. This is emphasized by the amount of time it takes to throw ink and how slow you roll. They should be picking off the stragglers, while focusing on calling echolocation as much as possible. Tenacity and Special Charge Ups are your friends. Once Cold Blooded becomes meta though, I don't know how viable this weapon will be, but that's another topic on its own... But anyways, if your team wanted someone to get kills, they would have chosen the T.Splattershot or a Kraken Roller.

@Grafkarpador I have used the sprinkler in A rank lobbies, and it still works wonders. Taking out a well placed sprinkler in the high rank lobbies, can easily get you killed.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
A Dyanmo Roller should be playing a passive-aggressive style anyway. I'm seeing talk about killing and what not... The Dyanmo isn't per say about killing, I think that is a common misconception. It's about supporting. This is emphasized by the amount of time it takes to throw ink and how slow you roll. They should be picking off the stragglers, while focusing on calling echolocation as much as possible. Tenacity and Special Charge Ups are your friends. Once Cold Blooded becomes meta though, I don't know how viable this weapon will be, but that's another topic on its own... But anyways, if your team wanted someone to get kills, they would have chosen the T.Splattershot or a Kraken Roller.
How can you determine what's the ultimate best strategy on a dynamo? I've personally developed a very aggressive playstyle that almost always places me at the top point wise and K/D wise by a very large margin. a supportive strategy does work and is in fact incorporable with an otherwise aggressive play. It's all very viable and potent. The thing is that the Dynamo besides filling an excellent support role is REALLY REALLY lethal if played right, and can fill the role of dedicated assassination. The Dynamo is a really versatile weapon actually. What is true is that the vanilla Dynamo is rather support focussed and the Gold Dynamo is rather aggression focussed, but those are tendencies and not set in stone.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Gold Dynamo is rather aggression focussed, but those are tendencies and not set in stone.
The Gold Dynamo really is nothing to talk about and offers nothing to the team, that a million other weapons can't already do.

While it's cool and all, that you play that way with the dynamo, the other rollers do that, and much better; not optimal.

What rank are you?

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
The Gold Dynamo really is nothing to talk about and offers nothing to the team, that a million other weapons can't already do.

While it's cool and all, that you play that way with the dynamo, the other rollers do that, and much better; not optimal.

What rank are you?
Are you really talking down the Gold Dynamo because it can do things that others can? You realize the game is built around redundancy, right? Why would I play other weapons because you can reliably win with the Splattershot Jr.? Because I personally prefer using a different weapon. Other great weapons only offer marginal team support as well. Besides that, a well placed Inkstrike can tremendously help your team push through a barrier, and since you can place it from afar you can support acute focal points you're not involved in. "It does things other weapons do" is not a good argument because that's what I could say about every weapon in the game.

It's not fair to say that any of the other rollers are better because it's very clear where the benefits and drawbacks are: Dynamo has better range and can reach vantage points, but is slow so it's more vulnerable during an attack; Splat Rollers are quicker, surprising and more mobile, but can't reach much and will always lose to anything with slightly more range if they're in open confrontation unless they have a Kraken charge. Splat Rollers are very vulnerable to and almost useless against Chargers, Dynamos are a pretty effective counter against Chargers if they play their cards right. You choose a different Roller depending on what you prioritize in your own play, and I prioritize the range and the raw power inherent to the Dynamo. Splat Bombs and Inkstrikes very nicely complement my aggression based play, but I can still fill in support roles when it's necessary. And again, I'm successful in what I'm doing. This doesn't mean you can't focus on support or defense/passive playing the Dynamo, just that you have more options than you're illustrating here. You have a very clear personal preference, which is absolutely fine, but why downplay other options instead of giving them a fair open analysis and recognizing strengths and weaknesses even if they're not fitting your style?

I'm sitting very comfortably on an A+ with 99 points since 2 weeks ago or so while still regularly playing Ranked, and the only times that ever significantly drops is when Nintendo servers are burning and constantly drop me out of games so I lose points until I realize what's going on, stop playing Splatoon and play a bit of Earthbound Beginnings until everything's alright again, then climb back to 99. I have never left A+ and had almost no problems climbing from C-. For Ranked battle, the Gold Dynamo is more than competent in my personal experience. Of course I can't predict competitive viability when we can construct our own squads because that's far away from now and everything else would just be baseless assumptions, but I'm personally very optimistic.

D

Deleted Member

So I'm trying to main the Gold Dynamo after getting wrecked by a Japanese person using one who scored like 1800 on Kelp Dome with 12-0 and Agosta with similar feats. Killing isn't a problem for me. Its racking up the points. I've read the Dynamo Roller guide in the post, but I'm only getting 1300 at most so far.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
So I'm trying to main the Gold Dynamo after getting wrecked by a Japanese person using one who scored like 1800 on Kelp Dome with 12-0 and Agosta with similar feats. Killing isn't a problem for me. Its racking up the points. I've read the Dynamo Roller guide in the post, but I'm only getting 1300 at most so far.
Kelp Dome is pretty much a point farming fest if you're constantly on the move, so higher scores are to be expected if you always think about covering. That's the thing: if you halt, you don't cover. 1800 is also pretty much an exception instead of the rule even for the Gold Dynamo Roller. Other thing is it depends on how active the enemy is and how much turf there is to recover. Dynamos can cover a lot, but you kind of need to be lucky for 1800; it's circumstantial.

NNID
Tina
I normally use the dynamo roller in splat zones but when Port Mackeral and Arowana Mall are in rotation I usually go with the Gold Dynamo roller. However, even with the splat bombs I still have a lot of trouble on Arowana mall. Particularly with taking out snipers or turning one of the many corners to take out the person on the other side. Does anyone have any advice on strategies they have for Arowana Mall?

Chiro

Inkster Jr.
So i tried the Dynamo Roller, i think its better suited for Splat Zones in Port Mackerel, i can tell im a big noob with the Dynamo Roller due to the Rolling Speed, i stick with Krak-On/Standard. But when Dynamo Roller is in the right hands, it is very very dangerous (even through they appear uncommonly)

Dawn Wall

so many dynamos || soɯɐuʎp ʎuɐɯ os
NNID
246_Tritone
I normally use the dynamo roller in splat zones but when Port Mackeral and Arowana Mall are in rotation I usually go with the Gold Dynamo roller. However, even with the splat bombs I still have a lot of trouble on Arowana mall. Particularly with taking out snipers or turning one of the many corners to take out the person on the other side. Does anyone have any advice on strategies they have for Arowana Mall?
Hi, I'm currently sitting at an A rank and I've exclusively used the Gold Dynamo Roller during my run up Ranked Mode. Personally, when Arowana Mall is in the map rotation, I like hopping onto one of the sniper nests (preferably the nest to the right, thanks to the wall there) and flicking ink down onto the splat zone in the middle. I'll constantly flick ink down until my team takes control of the zone. Of course, you need to keep an eye on your surroundings so opposing Inklings have a tougher time splatting you from behind. I don't like rushing to the middle all that much unless my team has full control of the splat zone.

As for Charger users, they're a nuisance to take out (which, considering that Arowana Mall is super-friendly to chargers, shouldn't be a surprise), but two tactics I've found to be somewhat effective at dealing with them are abusing the Inkstrike special and the (Gold) Dynamo Roller's flick range to flush them out of their nests. I prefer the first tactic because I don't have to put myself at too much risk by charging at the Charger users, but since the special meter isn't always filled, the second tactic is something I'd recommend learning how to do. Also, one more thing that has helped me play Arowana Mall successfully is using the Recon mode to learn how far the ink flick goes when standing at any given position.

While I'm here, what are some consistent tactics that you use in Port Mackeral for Splat Zones with the (Gold) Dynamo Roller? I have every other stage figured out, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to consistently do well on Port Mackeral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom