• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Dynamo Roller: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

NNID
Tina
Thank you for the help! I usually decide not to try my luck testing the distance in matches because I'll probably end up dying but recon is a good idea so I can fool around and test what works without the threat of dying. Thanks!

I'm only a B+ at the moment but I usually make sure the zone of my side of the map is secure and there aren't any trails made to my team's zone by the enemy team. Then I walk down the lane closest to the zone and fling ink as far as I can until I see conflict and when I see someone I try to take an alternate way so I can pop up behind or right near them with a flick. Once I've made one lane of ink I fill up the open area of their side of the map farthest away from their splat zone so I can have space to swim. When people see me trying to spread ink they try to attack me so I swim through the ink I was laying down and then jump flick them. Sometimes you can throw bombs into one of their lanes too if you see ink coming your way. If your team is in control of their zone you can also just hide in the ink and throw bombs down the lane closest to their side when you see someone coming. I think the dynamo roller is very good at keeping the enemy team from reclaiming the zone on their side of the map. Looking at the gamepad helps too so you can see what lane people are going down.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Hi, I'm currently sitting at an A rank and I've exclusively used the Gold Dynamo Roller during my run up Ranked Mode. Personally, when Arowana Mall is in the map rotation, I like hopping onto one of the sniper nests (preferably the nest to the right, thanks to the wall there) and flicking ink down onto the splat zone in the middle. I'll constantly flick ink down until my team takes control of the zone. Of course, you need to keep an eye on your surroundings so opposing Inklings have a tougher time splatting you from behind. I don't like rushing to the middle all that much unless my team has full control of the splat zone.

As for Charger users, they're a nuisance to take out (which, considering that Arowana Mall is super-friendly to chargers, shouldn't be a surprise), but two tactics I've found to be somewhat effective at dealing with them are abusing the Inkstrike special and the (Gold) Dynamo Roller's flick range to flush them out of their nests. I prefer the first tactic because I don't have to put myself at too much risk by charging at the Charger users, but since the special meter isn't always filled, the second tactic is something I'd recommend learning how to do. Also, one more thing that has helped me play Arowana Mall successfully is using the Recon mode to learn how far the ink flick goes when standing at any given position.

While I'm here, what are some consistent tactics that you use in Port Mackeral for Splat Zones with the (Gold) Dynamo Roller? I have every other stage figured out, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to consistently do well on Port Mackeral.
What I do on Port Mackerel, try using your Instrikes so you break through enemy barriers if they're in or in frobt of the corridors. basically use the Inkstrike both as a pressure method and as a smokescreen, dive into it and attack the enemies that are close by quickly. Then take the opponent's half of the map with a couple of Flicks and approach their side's zone if you came from the left, or take the side's zone and then take the opponent's half of the map if you came from the right. Don't approach the zone too fast, be sure they can't surprise you. camp the **** out of that zone once you took it and let your teammates handle the homezone.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I think Port Mackeral is among the worst for Dynamo

NNID
Tina
I agree with Port Mackeral. I think any time there's any kind of lane or corner it's hard for the dynamo to work. Anything that outranges it will keep the dynamo from advancing and it can't move fast enough to make an alternate route.

I think Kelp Dome is the best because the good sniper spots are easy for the dynamo to access and kill the sniper and there's a lot of space to squid around people that outrange it.

D

Deleted Member

I think the Dynamo could function as a support/stealth role for Port Mackerel, such as camping around corners. Since the stage is narrow and small, the Dynamo can't really use its wide ink splash to the fullest advantage.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
I think the Dynamo could function as a support/stealth role for Port Mackerel, such as camping around corners. Since the stage is narrow and small, the Dynamo can't really use its wide ink splash to the fullest advantage.
nah, Dynamo can handle Port. On Turf Wars, use the cars and adjacent vantage points to make it rain. the flick is actually pretty good in the corridors, you just have to remember that you can't flank. use ink strikes as smoke screens to get into the other half of the map, use splat bombs tactically to clear out people who are hiding out. echolocators can be used to determine which corridor is free right now. on ranked, I personally just camp the opponent's zone, which works pretty often.

Kiritora

Inkster Jr.
Okay I'm going to say your guide is a little biased, and it's easy for you to assume that the regular Dynamo can't be offensive because you don't seem to like the sprinkler, or think it's pretty bad for the dynamo. I use the Dynamo in both ranked and TW and I do just fine with the sprinklers, setting them in camping spots or just being generally annoying with it. I'm plenty offensive, getting my splats in, and I do not have to assume a defensive position.

I use echo not only to see where to hit or where they are approaching but also as an instant refill on my tank. It's just how I use it.

Also do take in to consideration what the people who I play with constantly have to say. They've figured out ways to get at me competitively and I've gotten better as a result. Just because they don't play one themselves doesn't discredit what they are saying.

You do claim that you unbiased, but I find it clear that you do prefer the gold. It's okay to prefer the gold, it really is. But please listen to me too. I've played the Dynamo since level 15 which is a long time ago now and I've used nothing since (besides the Gold and the carbon). it's also okay to have different styles that work too. And mine has to do with being farther away because being too close can result in double splats which is not always beneficial, especially with the charger I play. And I'm finding lots of success with how I play. It's also good to consider using both for different maps. I think we can agree that both can be plenty offensive. You're proof, and so am I. It just takes different playstyles and that's completely okay.

Also on port I toss sprinklers in corridors and usually swim around to another one. I can also stick one on a car and head off on my way. It's one of the easiest maps for me to play and once I've got the entire opposing team in their base I can hold them there easily.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Okay I'm going to say your guide is a little biased, and it's easy for you to assume that the regular Dynamo can't be offensive because you don't seem to like the sprinkler, or think it's pretty bad for the dynamo. I use the Dynamo in both ranked and TW and I do just fine with the sprinklers, setting them in camping spots or just being generally annoying with it. I'm plenty offensive, getting my splats in, and I do not have to assume a defensive position.
I said the normal Dynamo is more team support focussed because the Echolocator is very beneficial for your entire team. Those are tendencies, not set in stone. I should have maybe clarified that, but I didn't intend to say that you can only use the normal Dynamo for defensive purposes, just that it's suited a little better on the team support side while the gold dynamo has the tactically useful inkstrikes and dangerous splat bombs, so you can be morr aggressive and pushing with it. I'll see where I can change my wording to make that more clear. I tried rewording to be more neutral on the sprinkler before, but it seems I need to do a little more (and include a reference for Sprinkler strategies).

I use echo not only to see where to hit or where they are approaching but also as an instant refill on my tank. It's just how I use it.
Yeah, and I made it a big point in my guide. It's a pretty good plus.

Also do take in to consideration what the people who I play with constantly have to say. They've figured out ways to get at me competitively and I've gotten better as a result. Just because they don't play one themselves doesn't discredit what they are saying.
I have no idea what you're talking about.

You do claim that you unbiased, but I find it clear that you do prefer the gold.
1) I clearly said in the guide that I personally prefer the gold dynamo in the dedicated personal opinion box, this is not a big revelation; besides, there is no reference to strategies of any specific type of dynamo until the weapon set specific section. I'll see how I can rebalance the text in this section to give both weapons an equal shake. 2) I never said I am completely unbiased. I give it my best to make a clear distinction between what you can objectively mechanically achieve with the Dynamo and what personal strategies I find successful and observed others employing successfully, and I try hard to stay neutral in most matters, but the fact is since there's just almost no nitty-gritty technical and strategical discussion here or anywhere else on the Dynamo (which actually satisfies my demand on detail), the only thing I can entirely rely on is my own experience and experimentation. Success or not, this is predestined to make the guide biased towards specific kinds of strategies depending on the player. I can't stay completely objective if I want to include any kind of strategy. If you had written the guide all by yourself, you would be in the same situation.

The truth is that what I have listed in my guide, from mechanisms, strategies, roles, is everything I am personally aware of. I simply don't know any more successful defensive strategies. I would really love to include more, but so far all I have heard here is that the dynamo is a "defensive weapon" with absolutely no concrete strategy to back the claim. I would very very gladly take your suggestions and give you all the credit there is to give, but I need tangible substance. I'm interested in making the guide as complete and encompassing as possible and be a reference for all strokes of players, but I can't do that alone.

It's okay to prefer the gold, it really is. But please listen to me too. I've played the Dynamo since level 15 which is a long time ago now and I've used nothing since (besides the Gold and the carbon). it's also okay to have different styles that work too. And mine has to do with being farther away because being too close can result in double splats which is not always beneficial, especially with the charger I play. And I'm finding lots of success with how I play. It's also good to consider using both for different maps. I think we can agree that both can be plenty offensive. You're proof, and so am I. It just takes different playstyles and that's completely okay.
Please help me out! You don't have to write an entire section, just please tell me what you're doing and how it helps you win the match. Techs and strats, anything I didn't cover.

bluecrow

Senior Squid
anyways after working for a while with the thing, I like the weapon, but it's biggest strength, the swing, is also the biggest weakness.
While I like the weight, I simply can't cancel my shot. I feel like it comes up a bit short because of it. I still like it, but someone who knows what they're doing will end the user when they practically can't move

also defense boosts/ink resist are amazing to have
What would you all say are the best maps for the Dynamo Roller? Worst maps?
best maps, large open areas that allows all the ink to land with medium to small rises in the terrain allowing you to combat opponents above you while still being able to use them well yourself. (like skate park or warehouse)
worst maps, narrow corridors where the walls can take away most of the ink flicked and large towers/high points that make it difficult to scale the wall let alone combat those on top of it (like depot or port)
I would really love to include more, but so far all I have heard here is that the dynamo is a "defensive weapon" with absolutely no concrete strategy to back the claim.
eh, it has more to do with when played defensively you make up for the flaw of the weapon (Which is how ever many frames that swing is supposed to be) and when you are attacked, if they are too aggressive, they die. You fling so much ink any time they try to advance on your turf you turn it your color along with being able to run back a step or two after swinging to make sure you have ample ink to sit in, due to the wide trail. It really is more of a stall tactic that kills the impatient and allows your team to keep ample footing/turf. On the other hand though Splat bombs are amazing at forcing your opponent into the ink wall... kinda wish there was one with echolocation and splat bombs (or something not as dumb as sprinkler, like splashwall). I think inkstrike is a little overrated and sprinkler is situational depending on map

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I would argue that Depot's high ground gives the Dynamo a very good method to defend.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
anyways after working for a while with the thing, I like the weapon, but it's biggest strength, the swing, is also the biggest weakness.
While I like the weight, I simply can't cancel my shot. I feel like it comes up a bit short because of it. I still like it, but someone who knows what they're doing will end the user when they practically can't move

also defense boosts/ink resist are amazing to have

best maps, large open areas that allows all the ink to land with medium to small rises in the terrain allowing you to combat opponents above you while still being able to use them well yourself. (like skate park or warehouse)
worst maps, narrow corridors where the walls can take away most of the ink flicked and large towers/high points that make it difficult to scale the wall let alone combat those on top of it (like depot or port)

eh, it has more to do with when played defensively you make up for the flaw of the weapon (Which is how ever many frames that swing is supposed to be) and when you are attacked, if they are too aggressive, they die. You fling so much ink any time they try to advance on your turf you turn it your color along with being able to run back a step or two after swinging to make sure you have ample ink to sit in, due to the wide trail. It really is more of a stall tactic that kills the impatient and allows your team to keep ample footing/turf. On the other hand though Splat bombs are amazing at forcing your opponent into the ink wall... kinda wish there was one with echolocation and splat bombs (or something not as dumb as sprinkler, like splashwall). I think inkstrike is a little overrated and sprinkler is situational depending on map
Oh, of course the way you attack and approach is different from, say, a splat roller, but that doesn't make it any more offensive or defensive. It's just conceptually different and stalling is an overall tactic inherent to the dynamo, yeah. I did include and explain in detail the strategy of stalling and nullifying the enemy progression in the guide already and marked it both as a defensive strategy and as a tech option if you need to get yourself out of somewhere. I can't think of anything else defensive though!

bluecrow

Senior Squid
I would argue that Depot's high ground gives the Dynamo a very good method to defend.
also makes it poor to attack specially should you need to scale the wall, I don't think the map is inherently bad for the dynamo. I just would prefer a couple others above it
Oh, of course the way you attack and approach is different from, say, a splat roller, but that doesn't make it any more offensive or defensive. It's just conceptually different and stalling is an overall tactic inherent to the dynamo, yeah. I did include and explain in detail the strategy of stalling and nullifying the enemy progression in the guide already and marked it both as a defensive strategy and as a tech option if you need to get yourself out of somewhere. I can't think of anything else defensive though!
well if you have sprinklers you can defend a second half of a map with out being there
Underpass and Depot both have a really high set stage piece that can have sprinklers placed on them. so theoretically you could cover your butt a bit better if you place one there. And even though I have gotten magical kills with the sprinkler this way (it was super confusing when I got them) it is the sprinkler we are talking about so it doesn't help immensely because you know sprinkler dies when you die

but there really isn't a whole lot to this thing defensively or offensively for that matter it just controls turf better than any other roller and desires good spacing for good play. It has one trick and it does that trick really well

still was really hoping to get a dynamo with a bubbler or a splash wall

D

Deleted Member

When someone tries to swim around me so they don't get hit, I can easily change direction in the air quickly thanks to motion controls.

So now that the Inkstrike bug has been fixed, the Gold Dynamo is better now.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Heya people! I took your suggestions and reworked quite a bit of the guide, especially the weapon set specific strategies. It's now hopefully less biased towards the gold dynamo roller and showcases the strengths and weaknesses of both sets. I hope this should settle it! Also more importantly, the guide now includes showcase animations for the techs generously provided by reddit user /u/Fluppy!

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

What are the best abilities for the Gold Dynamo Roller in Turf Wars and Splat Zones?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Whatever you can work with the best. Generally on your shirt it's either cold blooded or ninja squid, but the latter requires you to dedicate slots to swim speed up so you can take less abilities overall. ink resistance up is dramatically nerfed, but I think it still holds up as the best option on the shoes (but other options like bomb sniffer are more viable now). generally, damage up is really important to have to mitigate the damage dropoff from flying ink, and get a kill in situations where you previously wouldn't have gotten one. ink saver (main) is another big one to have so you don't constantly run out of ink. The rest is pretty much up to your own preferences I think.

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
I do love that because I pointed out a balance issue that afflicts all the rollers im told to "Get good" the defacto response

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom