• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

E3 2016 Social Thread

Bloop

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2151-0062-7941
Yeah.

People still hate Color Splash, and I don't blame them. The beginning trailer/cutscene really could've done without a voiceover.
And I think my new opinion is getting tarnished by Tumblr
The voiceover was awkward...to say the least, I suppose they were focusing more on the younger audience in that instance? I mean it is Paper Mario. :b

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Damn it, is the stream over already? Ah well, I can settle for watching just the trailers.

Anyway, I saw the Ever Oasis trailer. At first they had me thinking it was going to be some kind of Sims-esque game with the "Create your own oasis!" thing, but then they showed off the game's combat... that's an idea I can get behind. I'll wait for more information to drop, but for now I'm a little interested.

Monster Hunter is something I've been curious about for a while. Beating up fantastic creatures with weapons that (I think) you can fully customize, what's not to love? If I have the money I'll probably get it some time this year.

That new Mario Party looks like it's borrowing from Smash Tour a bit with that character recruitment thing. I dig it, but I've never really been a fan of that series. Kinda hard to when you've never had real Nintendo gaming buddies for most of your life. (Of course if there's an online mode for this then I'll not have to worry about that.)
I'm really loving Ever Oasis. I watched the trailer and playthrough again and everything about it is lovely. I do happen to like Action RPGs overall but it hits on all the right elements, and as it's designed by the creator of the ATB and Jobs system, you know he doesn't think through the combat systems lightly :) Story could go either way. He created Mana....and he created SaGa. :P He's a man of extremes... It's encouraging that the title is a direct reference to Mana (Lost Oasis) - That's a day-1 preorder for me.

Looking forward to DQVII too which I've never played before but looks really great.

MH. Hoo boy, that's as big a conversation (and addiction) as Splatoon itself. The difficulty curve is...well....imagine a game that starts you out with an H3-D as your first weapon. A little later it lets you buy bamboozlers. These are the easy weapons in the game. :P It seems simple "oh it's an action game where you just fight a series of boss battles..." Do try the demo for MH4 or the coming-soon demo for MH:G before splurging, but also know the demo (for 4) doesn't really convey the game pattern. It DOES show you combat, but it shows you a fully stocked kit without you having to select what to use. Still it gives you a small taste of the difficulty. Combat is very deep and complex. Every weapon class plays like a whole different game. The controls feel slow and awkward and clunky. This is not a flaw, the game is intended to feel that way given the heavy gear you use. Combat is VERY deep, tactical, strategic, and complicated. Most people don't really understand the complexity in a game that looks like a hack and slash (and is anything but) and mastering all the moves of your weapon is key. It takes some elements from fighting games and turn-based RPGs and applies them to an action game. It's quite unique in feel, with a difficulty curve harder than all but Dark Souls, but those who get sucked into it are never seen or heard from again :P I absolutely love the game, but I absolutely suck at the game and never get far in it. Those battles get the adrenaline going - you FEEL in danger :P Also note that it's much prettier on the N3DS so if you have a vanilla 3DS note that it does actually look better than what you see on the newer hardware - one of the few games to take advantage of the added RAM. It'll start you off fighting some Jaggi's and such. You'll feel awesome and love the world. Then they'll throw you against a Great Jaggi and you'll realize you've been fooled, these fights are ridiculous! Then you discover that Great Jaggis aren't even considered main monsters. Then sometime later you'll realize they throw one OR MORE Great Jaggis at you WHILE you're battling a main monster. Sometime after that you learn there's elemental versions of Jaggis....around then I give up each iteration :p It's very fun, very well developed and overwhelmingly brutal. :) But MH addicts are truly addicted. Thus sustaining the sales model as the Call of Duty of Japan with an annual installment.

...great. I hop onto the stream just in time for this Tokyo Mirage thing. A deep & complex RPG it may be, but I still can't get over the general aesthetic. That and that battle interface is a little confusing for me. I'll pass.

EDIT: Huh, Color Splash does look pretty interesting (if guilty of perhaps doing a bit much at once). Not that I wasn't interested in it before, but for me it's gone from "maybe I'll get it" to "I'll have to get this at some point."

...I'll bet I'm the only person alive to think that right now.
I feel like I'm the only one looking forward to Tokyo Mirage enough that I might actually play it before XBCX. The colorful pastels and such just make for such an inviting game world to want to sit down and enjoy along with the peppy pop music. It helps that I like Atlus RPGs in general, even the unforgiving SMT4 which I did play on the easier skill mode. And the interface is fairly standard for a Persona game. It's stylized but not too confusing. But yeah, a lot of conventions are straight from SMT so if you're used to SMT/Persona you're familiar with a lot of the spell names and such and their strengths already. I don't know if the story will be as haunting as SMT normally is. Also Persona 5 is coming out on Playstation too. Normal SMT games are generally VERY dark, ominous worlds, especially Persona which despite being a High School simulator also involves murders and mangled bodies and such as a murder mystery (while core SMT is generally more about embodied good and evil (and still features mangled bodies (referred to in text only) and people being ritualistically posed. So SMT in a bright colorful (but clearly still disturbed) world is intriguing. Dreamcast comes to WiiU? :P

Me as they play the first PM:CS trailer- Can they not
I could do without the narration
Please
Me afterwards- It's pretty cute, still upset about no experience and no partners, but I can see it as a game you take in little bites
I liek
Huey's nice (I see what they did there)
The narration and little bits are Paper Mario-y
Y only Weege cameo tho
The cinnamon roll is important
Protect and show off his presence
Um
What

Oh yeah, it's no TTYD. But it's unique in its own little Paper Mario way (I still stand by the fact/opinion that Sticker Star sucked)and I would like to see someone LP it. I would ask for partners but it would need to be changed radically for that. Like it needs to be turned into a TTYD or a 64 for partners to fit. A SPM, maybe *shrugs* I don't think it can be changed into a SPM, especially with the gimmick already established.

Also, LoZ looked nice today

(Hi @Quibblingsun86 )

Color Splash looks really good. It's trouble is that it's a direct sequel to Sticker Star. Sticker like battle mechanics and the loathed stage-based gameplay. It seems that's the format they've decided is what Paper Mario should be and it's what the fans say they hate. Personally the overraction to sticker star was the stage based gameplay making it "not an RPG once and for all." Paper Mario is clearly no longer Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars part 10. It's its own identity (while M&L picks up the RPG mantle but without parties.) I fear fans will not be good to this game just because it's the same structure as Sticker Star. Personally though I love Mario RPGs (hey we got Dream Team and Paper Jam in the past few years!) I never minded the mission structure of Sticker Star. I always felt the problem with that game was the immense cost of Things, the slog to re-find them, the trial & error gameplay to use them, waste them, and then have to do it all again. If they fixed either the cost, availability, or trial & error this time around it should be a great game. I feel like Sticker Star REQUIRED a walkthrough to make it playable. Then again so did Zelda II.

I think partners as a battle party fits only a true RPG or Action RPG. Maybe Ever Oasis will make them reinvent Paper Mario. My feeling is the variety of NPCs and toads are stand-ins for the memorable interaction of partners. So far though the papercraft world this time is as endearing as Wooly World and the gameplay with the 2-attacks chained looks a lot more tactical, and, dare I say, RPG-ish.

Award

The voiceover was awkward...to say the least, I suppose they were focusing more on the younger audience in that instance? I mean it is Paper Mario. :b
I wasn't sure if the voiceover was part of the game's actual intro or if that was done for E3. For most of it I thought it was Eric, the host , doing the voice over :) I did find it likable though.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
A friend of mine likes Sticker Star…I wonder if he'll like this. (Wouldn't know, we can only communicate online and his hours of operation changed)

I wonder what would happen if someone who already has a concept for a Paper Mario Game (a good one, like Countdown to Chaos[which got a new name that I forgot]) and made it playable.

Award

(Hey @G1ng3rGar1 )

Yeah, I basically watched the E3 for the kingdom hearts and LOZ Breath Of The Wind.
Kindom Hearts 3 is where it's at. And I still haven't heard a peep. Though Square's Day 3 hasn't started yet.... I should wear the same disappointment armor everyone should have worn last year for Metroid Prime 4 :P
A friend of mine likes Sticker Star…I wonder if he'll like this. (Wouldn't know, we can only communicate online and his hours of operation changed)

I wonder what would happen if someone who already has a concept for a Paper Mario Game (a good one, like Countdown to Chaos[which got a new name that I forgot]) and made it playable.
Nintendo's legendary with Crease and Desist orders (See what I did there? Paper Mario? Crea...oh nevermind...)

Quibblingsun86

Full Squid
NNID
Quibblingsun86
Kindom Hearts 3 is where it's at. And I still haven't heard a peep. Though Square's Day 3 hasn't started yet.... I should wear the same disappointment armor everyone should have worn last year for Metroid Prime 4 :p
Yeah, I wasn't really expecting new for KH3, but KH 2.8 is what I really wanted. It's really going to fit all the pieces together, and that movie with the foretellers looked awesome. Also, Terra's return really hit me right in the feels!:D

Award

Yeah, I wasn't really expecting new for KH3, but KH 2.8 is what I really wanted. It's really going to fit all the pieces together, and that movie with the foretellers looked awesome. Also, Terra's return really hit me right in the feels!:D
I really wish Squeenix would figure out how to NOT ruin their brand continuity. I don't even know what version of HK is what and the story coherence stopped making sense a long time ago. I loved DDD but it also made no sense. Fortunately the good gameplay and fun environments help me overlook that I have no idea what the heck is actually going on :p Hopefully 3 will start to actually make some sense, somewhere.

And FF they've mangled even worse.

Meanwhile Dragon quest 1-10 is linear. IMO DQ has had the same team since forever and so they know where it's going. FF and HK have changed hands so many times and so many creators have such different plans for the series that it keeps being "rebooted" all the time.

Also interesting, waiting for E3's streaming to start I just glanced at the Youtube Chat. I've seen "Zelda" at least 4 times in there :) One would think Square would understand their fanbase is the Nintendo base, at this point.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I only cared about KH when Disney had importance. I really did not feel Disney really contributed to anything after KH1.

Award

I only cared about KH when Disney had importance. I really did not feel Disney really contributed to anything after KH1.
After DDD I felt it was almost the other way around. There was the truly bizarreo internal mythology going on with the characters specific to KH, but there was pretty much ZERO of anything from Final Fantasy, and pretty much everything was 100% Disney (other than the bizzarro inconsistent internal KH mythos.) I mean it even featured Tron. Who features Tron outside the Disney Corporate Marketing Machine? :P I'm not sure I saw a single FF character. And the whole point of KH 1 was the mix of FF and Disney. And lets face it. I bought it to see Aeris alive again. :D

That's right, I said Aeris.....lets say it right. Aeris, Dr. Robotnik, Princess Toadstool. There is no Aerith, Eggman, or Peach in MY world! ;)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
After DDD I felt it was almost the other way around. There was the truly bizarreo internal mythology going on with the characters specific to KH, but there was pretty much ZERO of anything from Final Fantasy, and pretty much everything was 100% Disney (other than the bizzarro inconsistent internal KH mythos.) I mean it even featured Tron. Who features Tron outside the Disney Corporate Marketing Machine? :p I'm not sure I saw a single FF character. And the whole point of KH 1 was the mix of FF and Disney. And lets face it. I bought it to see Aeris alive again. :D
I felt Disney was nothing but pointless filler especially in KH2 with it being replay of the original movie but with "ohreegeenal karactar." The only Disney World in KH2 that felt it was handled like in KH1 was the Beauty and the Beast world with villain in that world trying to force Beast to be a heartless. If Beauty and the Beast world was like any other KH2 world, Gaston would be the villain as in the movie and you just replay the movie's plot. In KH1 the Disney Worlds actually contributed to the overall plot. I did not touch after KH2 though so if you can convince me that anything after it handles Disney like KH1, I may start caring a bit again.

That's right, I said Aeris.....lets say it right. Aeris, Dr. Robotnik, Princess Toadstool. There is no Aerith, Eggman, or Peach in MY world! ;)
Agreed. I really can't get myself to call him Eggman. Already got used to Peach. I was around when Bowser was still called King Koopa in NA before the change. Even my father calls him "Koopa" because he is familiar with the first NES game. I can't call him that without being thought of as a weeaboo now but I am okay with "Bowser."

Last edited:

Quibblingsun86

Full Squid
NNID
Quibblingsun86
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with you, @ShinyGirafarig & @Award .

Playing kingdom hearts in the correct timeline, (slightly confusing, but satisfying) really clears up the storyline.
DDD makes complete sense to me, and the lack of final fantasy characters was understandable. I think that there saving the FF characters for numbered KH games. +, have you even played KH re/chain of memories? It features the FF characters in a way that really contributes to the story!! Also, the original characters are the best part of the games!!!!!

Again on the topic of FF characters, sephiroth has been featured in both KH 1 & KH 2, and Zack is even featured in KH BBS!

Want even more? BBS's Disney worlds actually progress the story and plot of the whole series, not just KH 1!

KH 2 really did fit into the story, you just have to play the other games first.

And Finally, I give you an explanation on why Tron made sense.
His world was the coding that ran the heartless creator in hollow bastion. The main villain, (the MCP) was gonna blow up the whole friggin world!!!! Plus, after completing the world, everyone remembers the towns true name. Which is actually a very important part of the story!!! Even more, Tron tells you some encrypted, but important, information on ansem & xehanort.

Thank you for reading my rant. Now go play the games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

Playing kingdom hearts in the correct timeline, (slightly confusing, but satisfying) really clears up the storyline.
DDD makes complete sense to me, and the lack of final fantasy characters was understandable. I think that there saving the FF characters for numbered KH games. +, have you even played KH re/chain of memories? It features the FF characters in a way that really contributes to the story!! Also, the original characters are the best part of the games!!!!!

Again on the topic of FF characters, sephiroth has been featured in both KH 1 & KH 2, and Zack is even featured in KH BBS!

Want even more? BBS's Disney worlds actually progress the story and plot of the whole series, not just KH 1!

KH 2 really did fit into the story, you just have to play the other games first.

His world was the coding that ran the heartless creator in hollow bastion. The main villain, (the MCP) was gonna blow up the whole friggin world!!!! Plus, after completing the world, everyone remembers the towns true name. Which is actually a very important part of the story!!! Even more, Tron tells you some encrypted, but important, information on ansem & xehanort.

You do know you can put stuff in Spoilers, right?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Good to know. Hopefully KH3 will handle the Revival Era Worlds like KH1 and BBS then. I actually prefer Revival Era Disney (Princess and the Frog and beyond) to Renaissance Era Disney (Little Mermaid to Tarzan) so I want them worked well.

Award

I felt Disney was nothing but pointless filler especially in KH2 with it being replay of the original movie but with "ohreegeenal karactar." The only Disney World in KH2 that felt it was handled like in KH1 was the Beauty and the Beast world with villain in that world trying to force Beast to be a heartless. If Beauty and the Beast world was like any other KH2 world, Gaston would be the villain as in the movie and you just replay the movie's plot. In KH1 the Disney Worlds actually contributed to the overall plot. I did not touch after KH2 though so if you can convince me that anything after it handles Disney like KH1, I may start caring a bit again.

Agreed. I really can't get myself to call him Eggman. Already got used to Peach. I was around when Bowser was still called King Koopa in NA before the change. Even my father calls him "Koopa" because he is familiar with the first NES game. I can't call him that without being thought of as a weeaboo now but I am okay with "Bowser."

Haha, yeah KH2 felt like an overall mess. I don't believe I even played all the way through it to be honest. Not that they're not ALL a mess. I can say that DDD did NOT use "just like the movie" plots specifically, though generally the villains were the villains still. IMO though I generally do not have much respect for anything Square does (I love square, and it's depressing that they can't be trusted as they have almost as much capability as Nintendo), but I've always felt the "reigning in" of the use of Disney properties to match the movies was Disney's initiative, not Squeenix. Disney, unfortunately, is not the Disney of the 90's and has turned into an empty corporate "brand portfolio management organization." What I fear Nintendo is trying to turn into under Kimishima. They have these layers and layers of bureaucracy that you must be using their characters within the scope of their profiles etc. And I imagine that the less creative paper pushers in those roles simply compare unconventional character use against the detailed rubric they have and say "sorry not approved, make this character behave like in this move, and you cant combine elements from this property with this one." There's no soul in Disney these days, and as such, Kingdom Hearts may not have a soul either. DDD was weird and confusing, and the VERY bizarre time limits before you toggle between characters that made the game play kind of disjointed, but I have to say the Disney feel while oppressive felt like it fit. I can't say it was handled quite like the first game though. Not outside Traverse Town anyway.

Haha, I haven't heard "King Koopa" in a long time, but yeah, I remember that. I think "Bowser" came about earlier, by SMB3. "Peach" changed back in Mario 64. So she was always Toadstool to me. I realize she was ALWAYS Peach in Japan though so I can forgive that one. I really don't know though who thought "Toadstool" sounded better. Though the term "koopa troopa" is still standard for the common enemies in the game. I can't imagine that being seen as weeaboo!

Award

I think this post kind of highlights what has gone wrong in Squeenix-land, especially with KH and FF. Phrases like "playing it in the correct timeline clears up the storyline", "saving FF characters for numbered games", etc. highlight franchise management issues more than game design and scriptwriting issues. They attempted to milk it for all its worth (I'll apply some Disney blame there, that's their M.O.) and instead of releasing proper sequels keep retconning the story with recycled assets. It's similar to what Konami had done to MGS. As though Kojima's intended story wasn't confusing enough :p

It's like trying to make Triforce Heroes part of the canon :P

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Haha, yeah KH2 felt like an overall mess. I don't believe I even played all the way through it to be honest. Not that they're not ALL a mess. I can say that DDD did NOT use "just like the movie" plots specifically, though generally the villains were the villains still. IMO though I generally do not have much respect for anything Square does (I love square, and it's depressing that they can't be trusted as they have almost as much capability as Nintendo), but I've always felt the "reigning in" of the use of Disney properties to match the movies was Disney's initiative, not Squeenix. Disney, unfortunately, is not the Disney of the 90's and has turned into an empty corporate "brand portfolio management organization." What I fear Nintendo is trying to turn into under Kimishima. They have these layers and layers of bureaucracy that you must be using their characters within the scope of their profiles etc. And I imagine that the less creative paper pushers in those roles simply compare unconventional character use against the detailed rubric they have and say "sorry not approved, make this character behave like in this move, and you cant combine elements from this property with this one." There's no soul in Disney these days, and as such, Kingdom Hearts may not have a soul either. DDD was weird and confusing, and the VERY bizarre time limits before you toggle between characters that made the game play kind of disjointed, but I have to say the Disney feel while oppressive felt like it fit. I can't say it was handled quite like the first game though. Not outside Traverse Town anyway.

Haha, I haven't heard "King Koopa" in a long time, but yeah, I remember that. I think "Bowser" came about earlier, by SMB3. "Peach" changed back in Mario 64. So she was always Toadstool to me. I realize she was ALWAYS Peach in Japan though so I can forgive that one. I really don't know though who thought "Toadstool" sounded better. Though the term "koopa troopa" is still standard for the common enemies in the game. I can't imagine that being seen as weeaboo!

Koopa was used for the first NES game. That's why in the cartoon Super Mario Super Show, based on SMB1 and 2 (the one in the West) they use the name King Koopa. It became Bowser by SMB3.

I do like Revival Disney though. I consider that from Princess and the Frog and afterwards. Wreck-it Ralph is probably my favorite of the canon. I bought the entire WiR Disney Store plush collection. Ralph is probably the first fictional character I would consider my "husbando." I do have a soft spot for gentle giant characters so I also did like Shrek for that reason (this was way before Shrek became a meme). I will say is I really do not know what people see in Frozen. I find Tangled to be the better of the CGi Disney Princess movies. I always prefered the nonDisney princess movies to the Disney Princess movies. I feel Disney Princess movies are too formulatic and have to go off a checklist not to offend anyone while the nonPrincess ones get to be more creative. Frozen went through loads of changes before it became what it was and Frozen haters feel that the original drafts were more interesting than the actual product like Elsa being a bona fide villain rather than "misunderstood, poor baby" who would be redeemed at the end of the movie.

I do feel that Disney is harming Pixar though. It's like Disney in-house movies became better while Pixar movies became worse. I felt Inside Out was following the usual Pixar formula of a buddy film of one does not get along with the other and then they do in the end.

I believe KH1 come out in the time House of Mouse was still running. Now that was when Disney was more open with its properties crossing over. I mean look at this scene in House of Mouse for example and tell me this was not short of amazing.

Award

I only vaguely remember the cartoon. Though I remember there were two cartoons weren't there? I explicitly remember some Mario 3 elements being in one cartoon or another. The Mario 2 based one was kind of trippy IIRC. I've always remembered "King Koopa" but didn't remember the term Bowser not being used in the 1st game. In fact I thought I remember it being "Bowser's castle" early one. I'm getting this flashback they were used interchangeably in the first one. It was certainly before mario 3, I remember when 2 and 3 were released (and got to play 3 in the arcade cabinet version when they released it to arcades shortly BEFORE the NES around the time and tied it in with The Wizard.) And I swear I remember him already being Bowser by that point.

I think I stopped paying attention to Disney in revival era. Princess and the Frog is good, but the rest I never payed attention to. Though I don't always think of it all as Disney, like Wreck-It Ralph I don't think of as "Disney" simply a CGI movie published by Disney. Frozen....I've not seen it. I probably won't see it. And all the hype and merchandising and meming has made me hate it all the same :) For me, Disney stopped mattering by the end of the 90's. It was no longer the Nintendo-like studio of thoughtful classic animations but became simply a corporate IP management firm mostly interested in "growth potential and asset realization" for shareholders than having a real brand identity. I sadly DO see Nintendo going this route too. It's safe so long as the creative masterminds like Miyamoto and Aounama, even Takahashi are holding fort, but I see it slipping the way Disney has over time once they leave.

I would say the post-Eisner era is what saw them go downhill, but honestly Eisner was really the one who instigated the trouble. It just accelerated after him. And the current turnarounds going on in their corporate structure....eww....Disney's fast approaching "EA status" of companies to hate. Walt would be furious what they've done.

Pixar...well at this point I kind of assume anything bought by Disney is doomed from the start. It's a black hole of creativity and ingenuity. But it's a travesty what happened to Pixar. I'm no Steve Jobs fan but they moment he was out, Pixar was done. Granted, I'm not a fan of all their work pre-disney. IMO Up and to a degree Wall-E were missteps despite critical acclaim. They tried to settle in as a full-on arthouse film maker and the Cannes crowd doesn't mesh with Pixars existing crowed. Ratatouille is IMO their crowning achievement. A film that can stand as a genuine arthouse indie film while still maintaining everything Pixar and loveable about it. Up just makes you feel miserable to watch it. They love that sort of thing in Cannes I guess...but that's the wrong audience. It's sad that after that Disney snatched it up and it's been Cars 37: The Next Race ever since. :rolleyes: But devoid of the genuine charm the original had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom