• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Favourite and Least Favourite Stages!

Jane

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sweetjane92
Typing from mobile, so bear with me. Keep in mind that I main the .52 and the .96 Deco!

Turf wars-52
Favorite:
Arowana Mall. This map is so much fun with my .52. I can just throw up splash walls on either side of the main areas, in the alleyways, and on the top half pipe when I'm challenged at close-range. It's pretty cool that my killer wails take up half of the stage!
Least Favorite: Blackbelly Skatepark. I hate all the ramps at the beginning, and I hate the sniper tower which is incredibly slow to reach with my weapons. Plus, when I DO make it up there, I can't see if there's any bombs about to take me out!

TowerControl-96 Deco
Favorite
: Bluefin Depot. I usually use the 96 here. My range reached across the battle feed and my kraken gets me around quickly when I need it. I like to flank rollers here and hit them from behind before they even realize it.
Least Favorite: Saltspray. I try my best to get splash walls up at all the right places, but then I usually just die to bombs. I find that my slow-fire 96 isn't great for maneuvering around all the corners here, either. It seems like squid beacons are also pretty OP here, which my team doesn't really have a lot of.

SplatZones-52
Favorite
: Port Mackerel. The splash walls and killer wails are so clutch here! I love to corner enemies down the long hallways and take them out. I like to camp zones here, and play a pretty fun but defensive game.
Least Favorite: Moray Towers. I LOVED this map before the revamp, cause I could clean up with splash walls on the narrow roadways. Now it's chaotic and terrifying, you always have to keep an eye on the back ramp leading up to the zones, on top of looking out above you and in front of you. It's a lot to pay attention to!

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
My opinions on maps tend to vary but this is my current standpoint. And I don't dislike any maps BTW.

Turf Wars
Favourite: Port Mackerel

Honestly don't understand the hate for this map. In my opinion it just requires more awareness or else you'll get flanked. The boxes do limit your vision quite a bit but at the same time I think makes for some interesting play. There is no clear middle zone to capture/defend but you're forced to think creatively to gain the upper hand because of the multiple routes. Better teams I think will win more consistently here on TW.
Least Favourite: Moray Towers
It's unique being very vertical but that's it. Just doesn't resonate with me as much as other maps. Might be because without its vertical-ness it would lose its luster quickly. And sometimes it can work against its appeal because getting back into the fray is longer than usual without super jumping (which will often make you a sitting duck for a few seconds).

Splat Zones:
Favourite: Blackbelly Skatepark

In my opinion Skatepark has the most creative potential. There are lots of ways to get surprise kills here from walls and thinking outside the box. Skatepark just seems built with Splatoon's mechanics in mind which is a weird statement but just how I feel. It's quite chaotic with the separate zones being small and fairly close to gain control easily enough but also allow for comebacks that makes some exciting back and forth play especially since the map itself is rather small.
Least Favourite: Saltspray Rig
Zones in Saltspray itself is not actually that bad but rather neglects a lot of the map, namely the upper and lower sections, and makes them useless to capture unless you want to rack up a special which isn't a good reason. I just find it baffling. But if that wasn't an issue I'd still have problems. I mean it's fairly easy to protect the zone once you've gained control. It's not terrible like old Urchin Underpass because you have multiple ways of attacking not just near spawn but still noticeable.

Tower Control:
Favourite: Arowana Mall

Most of the time I don't really like or dislike it but I think Mall actually plays quite well with TC. The basic concept of TC is a tuggawar of pushing the opponents back to close the distance between the tower and the end of the line. Arowana Mall is a fairly long tuggawar-like map where the only way to push forward is through. Not many side paths to flank from (but there is one to a sniping post). Both complement each other well in my opinion.
Least Favourite: Kelp Dome
Dome is not a very good confrontation map I say. Allow me to elaborate on that. Dome is large and flat. It's strengths come from being able to cover lots of ground which is why a lot of people like it in TW. Tower Control is a very confrontation heavy mode. Often there is no depth to taking down enemies and comes down to who can gun the other out the fastest or who can outrange the other or who has the splash wall. That may be true for other maps but often in those there were a lot of environmental aspects added into the mix. For example: who has higher ground or who has sufficient cover. Dome doesn't have this. The best it has is the railings but those just make you a sitting duck.

the Gay

Inkling
Turf war;
Favorite; Port Mackarel and Wall eye warehouse. Both are elegant and not too complicated, with still lots of ambush opportunities.
One thing I don't get is all the Moray Towers hate, I love that one as well, always such a thrill. I never use long range weapons nor rollers, my strategy is usually to get to the middle as fast as possible and try to coerce a fellow teammate into doing the same.
Least favorite; Bluefin Depot and Kelp Dome; both have long stretches of hazardously open space, where I just don't perform all that well.

Tower control;
Favorite; Camp Triggerfish. Never boring!
Least favorite; Actually it doesn't seem to matter to me that much, usually my focus is on the Tower and not the environment, direct assault is my general strategy here.

Splat zones;
Haven't experienced it that much yet.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Favorite: Arowana Mall, one of the first stages I played on and it never gets old.

Least: Urchin Underpass, the whole stage has so many obstacles and I never enjoy Splatting there.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Turf war:
Fav- Kelp dome
Least- Camp triggerfish

Splatzones:
Fav: Arowana mall ( before the update, it was my least fav), urchin underpass
Least: Port mackeral

Tower Control:
Fav: Dont really have a fav
Least: Blackbelly skatepark

Lag Chan

Inkster Jr.
In general, Kelp Dome is my favourite with Moray Towers as my least favourite. Whoever designed that map needs to get their head examined. Horrible in every way.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
My favorite map is Camp Triggerfish while I absolutely despise Saltspray Rig in all modes of the game.

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Turf War:

I honestly don't play very much, but as far as I can remember Blackbelly was my absolute favourite while leveling when the game first came out, but in the Splat Fest I had a pretty decent time on Camp Trig. Haven't turfed on new Underpass or Kelp Dome yet. Least favourite is probably Arowana.

Splat Zones:

Tough one, I used to love this mode but with my weapon favour changing to the Luna Blaster it's become a lot harder (and my old SS Pro has gotten very rusty). Honestly hard to say what my favourite is, I have so many good and bad experiences on just about all (Bluefin, Blackbelly, Arowana, Saltspray, Towers, Walleye) EDIT: Actually Bluefin absolutely edges out the others in this, it feels like a Splat Zones map where all weapon choices are valid and fun to plat against. Least favourite used to be Underpass but with the changes it's actually really enjoyable and is probably going to join the aforementioned list. Least favourite is probably now Camp Trig for Splat Zones. Kelp Dome probably feels left out without a mention, so I'll say that was really fun when I first started, but its sort of become very stressful with all of the various factors one has to account for to keep the zone on it.

Tower Control:

Honorable mention to old Underpass for giving me TF2 flashbacks, waiting at the chokepoint with the tower for a good special to act as our über push. Favourite is probably Walleye for this, partly because it lacks the kind of tower shenanigans that other maps have (the tower behaves really weird around me, I fall off and die at the weirdest situations from things I swear shouldn't have), plus it's just a really straight forward TC map, simple that works. Least favourite might be Camp Trig again, although that's almost entirely based on my short ranged weapon choice, it's an enjoyable map, I'll just enjoy it more when Luna Blaster Neo comes out. Otherwise I'd give it to Bluefin based entirely on that facts that it takes some serious ****-ups to actually let the tower through to the knockout point, and I fall off the tower a disproportionate amount.

dapperlace

Pro Squid
I feel like Camp Triggerfish is one of my favorites. I actually am not sure I have one I particularly dislike. It's not the map's fault I'm having a bad streak sometimes.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Favorite: In turf wars, Kelp Dome, Moray Towers, and Saltspray Rig. Splat zones: Blackbelly Skatepark and Bluefin Depot. Tower Control: Saltspray Rig and Bluefin Depot.

Least Favorite: I find Walleye Warehouse too plain and boring. Port Mackrel has too many tight corners and hinders the brushes and dynamo roller greatly.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think Saltspray Rig is the worst map regardless of the game mode.

As for favorites, I really like most of them. Port Mackerel, Camp Triggerfish and Moray Tower are particularly great, I think.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
My favorite maps for Turf War are the Warehouse, Underpass, and...oddly enough, Moray Towers. Something about the Towers on a good old Turf War is just fun stuff. Its difficult to just push through the middle ground and start invading the other side due to how it all funnels into the middle of the map in a linear setting, so it makes for some great back and forth gameplay. Warehouse and Underpass in my opinion are just very well balanced maps due to multiple ways of entry into the battlefield to take charge of the map (heh, maybe not Warehouse as much, but I still like it myself). I absolutely hate Camp Triggerfish in this mode though! The map itself is not bad on other game modes. Tower Control is awesome on this map, but the way its played on Turf War is just so annoying. I just always get flanked from behind me whether I expect it or not, and there isn't much to be done about their advancement to your blind side from just traversing the map to the other side.

Splat Zone maps go to Underpass and Skatepark! Underpass is just, again, a well balanced map on its design for team play. Skatepark however is just a hectic game through and through. The fact that there are 2 zones to keep up with makes for constant movement and awareness from all sides to not get surprised on.

Tower Control goes to Triggerfish and Saltspray Rig! As mentioned before on my Turf War part, Triggerfish is a good map when the whole map is readily available to use, especially since the middle is conjoined for the tower's sake. Saltspray Rig has many different approaches to the goal and has a particularly good catching up mechanic on the map itself. I find it is far easier to take back the tower in this map if it gets too close compared to other maps for the mode, because you will have a good vantage point from higher up with how close the tower gets.

SquidisaWard

Full Squid
NNID
KaBlamJamDan
Didn't we already have something like this? Anyway

My least favorite in Turf War have to be Kelp Dome. I downright hate the spacious design of the stage and it's really hard to come back if the other team is dominating. It probably because I got bad luck when it come to teams but it's always an awful time for me when the stage get chosen in the rotation. I don't mind it in Splat Zones though. Moray Towers is also pretty bleh. It's literally charger paradise.

I do like most of the Maps in Turf War though.

Nozzles

Cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I really like Blackbelly Skatepark and Kelp Dome. I feel like these maps are very open and smooth, and enjoyable to play on.

I really don't like Urchin Underpass and Arowana Mall. I don't even really have a reasoning, there is just something about them that makes it harder for me to score well. Maybe it'll come with more practice, idk.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Favorite: Saltspray Rig. Pretty huge place, many areas to go to, and it's not easy to keep track of all of it.

Least Favorite: Arowana Mall: It's just a giant chokepoint! With a huge hill in the center! Ugh. I just get so annoyed by it.

WesFX

Inkling
NNID
wesfx7
Turf Wars
Favorite: Port Mackerel
- Not sure why this map isn't generally well liked. It's fun to keep up with all the lanes :)
Least: Blackbelly Skatepark
- Not a fan of the constant elevation changes and how much time it takes to cover the curved ramps.

Splat Zones
Favorite: Walleye Warehouse
- Love having the wall of boxes perfectly dividing this level's zone in half. Makes it especially interesting.
Least: Moray Towers
- I don't have a strong feeling against this one, but Charger users have the freedom to be a special annoyance given this stage and mode.

Tower Control
I have the least amount of experience with this mode, and I haven't even seen Tower Control on half the stages. Here you go, anyway.
Favorite: Blufin Depot
- No strong feelings for this one, either, I've only played on it a few times but it stands out for some reason.
Least: Arowana Mall
- The bottlenecking walls near each base in this stage already annoy me, but it stinks that it's so close to the goal for Tower Control.

Livvie

Inkling
turf wars:
fav: walleye warehouse and port mackerel because i too, love squidding it up the last 30 secs of the match
least: w/e

splat zones:
fav: moray towers because i too, love my 3 swim speed ups
least: KELPDOMEKELPDOMEKELPDOMEKELPDOMEKELPDOME K E L P D O M E

tower control:
fav: camp triggerfish because i too, love clutch wins
least: w/e

sammich

Inkling Cadet
new least favorite for turf war may be bluefin depot. i really liked this stage at first but it's so annoying for the squiffer. i can hold almost any area, but it's hard for me to move around and i have no control over what happens on the other half of the map. other stages like kelp dome are also hard to hold, but they're more maneuverable since they don't have you creating and climbing walls. bass skatepark has similar problems with elevation making it hard for me (if i used a machine gun i imagine moving around would be a breeze), but it's smaller that i can see where i need to go and can get there promptly.

bluefin seems to be pretty fun for rainmaker, though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom