SW-1797-1352-6215
I ****EN CALLED ITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Damn dude, leaving stingray behind just because of Squid Sisters; what did they do? XD
Not just the idol group; I prefer not to dwell on the past, and I don’t really want a historically themed Splatoon Next, which seems a far more likely direction for Nintendo to take with the theme. And even if the odds of Sting Ray returning are relevant with Team Past winning, it’s still the only special that they stopped putting on weapon kits. If they can’t be bothered to code in more startup for Tri-Zooka, then they probably can’t be bothered to rework Sting Ray into a healthy special (by reverting literally all of the buffs they gave it).

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
While I love the Squid Sisters and I vastly prefer them over Off the Hook, I really don't want a Splatoon game taking place during the Great Turf War, or at least not as a main game.

I feel like games focusing on specific lore/backstories should be spin-offs.

Last edited:

TOD13

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
i don't know what to choose. i feel like if i choose wrong something bad is gonna happen-----
ALSO all three choices are good so idk

TOD13

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
ok never mind i've decided. team past.
first of all, i miss the past. i feel like everything was better back then (the media, the music, the prices of basic goods...)
also, it's important to learn from the past. after all, those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
re:spinoffs, I've thought a lot about what could've been if Splatoon had debuted a generation earlier, back when every IP had to have some cute little handheld tie-in. That's really the biggest thing I miss about handhelds, all the spinoffs developed for them. Sadly the landscape of AAA development has changed to a point where Nintendo has to put all their resources into a few big games rather than a bunch of smaller ones, so there's not much room to make these kinds of spinoffs anymore.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
A Splatoon game from before the time of S1 would be really cool, but the real reason I'm going team past is because they have the best shirt.

Mp3

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Female
Present, because the current splatoon game is fun to me and I enjoy the weapons and vibes.
But we all know why I actually choose this…
OFF THE HOOK
also I might actually buy a shirt this time

Tinybitt

Full Squid
Not just the idol group; I prefer not to dwell on the past, and I don’t really want a historically themed Splatoon Next, which seems a far more likely direction for Nintendo to take with the theme. And even if the odds of Sting Ray returning are relevant with Team Past winning, it’s still the only special that they stopped putting on weapon kits. If they can’t be bothered to code in more startup for Tri-Zooka, then they probably can’t be bothered to rework Sting Ray into a healthy special (by reverting literally all of the buffs they gave it).
Yeah, that’s fair. Even disregarding Squid Sisters, I feel like I’m just a very past centred person in general. I feel like I cling onto nostalgia very much, probably based on personal experiences in life. In regards to specials, I do agree that even if past wins, I don’t think most specials are coming back anyway. I’d say if we’re actually getting splat4, we’re most likely only getting back Booyah bomb, tri strike and maybe two more specials from throughout the splatoon series.

While I love the Squid Sisters and I vastly prefer them over Off the Hook, I really don't want a Splatoon game taking place during the Great Turf War, or at least not as a main game.

I feel like games focusing on specific lore/backstories should be spin-offs.
I’m torn about this to be honest. I really don’t think they’ll do a true splatoon 4 in the past if they end up winning. I don’t think it’s that marketable. Plus, they probably already have the core ideas for splat4 laid out, so it will turn out like Splatoon 3 and Anarchy winning the final fest. In other words, the theme of “Anarchy” is very surface level in splatoon 3 imo. The single player pretty much has no “Anarchy” theme in it aside from a few lines of dialogue. There’s anarchy battles which is just a name for a new ranking system, but that could have easily been called “Order battles” if order won the splatfest.

Anyway, I feel like I really want a splatoon spin off focusing on wild ideas, and as to Splatoon 4, I’m honestly not super worried about it. I don’t think they’ll risk doing a splatoon version of Battlefield 1

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Yeah, that’s fair. Even disregarding Squid Sisters, I feel like I’m just a very past centred person in general. I feel like I cling onto nostalgia very much, probably based on personal experiences in life. In regards to specials, I do agree that even if past wins, I don’t think most specials are coming back anyway. I’d say if we’re actually getting splat4, we’re most likely only getting back Booyah bomb, tri strike and maybe two more specials from throughout the splatoon series.
I also think that’s a fairly safe assumption, though personally I’d rather they don’t bring back Booyah Bomb.
I’d personally be surprised if Crab Tank, Zipcaster, Wave Breaker, or Super Chump was left out of the next game.

Anyway, on topic with the thread, I’ve decided to pick Team Future. Not just because it has a better ink colour than Team Present, but also because the theme is specifically “Which is most important to you?” I am far more concerned with the future of the series than its present state (Nintendo managed to make a special worse than Sting Ray somehow).

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I'm curious which special you're referring to here.
Tri-Zooka.
Sting Ray wasn’t usable as a panic button and had a consistent damage hitbox. The user was also stuck in it for the full duration with no way to speed cancel it. If the meta didn’t revolve so heavily around Tenta Missiles and displacement, were it more aggressive, endgame Sting Ray would have probably been decent and far less hated. Zooka is inherently flawed with no weaknesses.

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Tri-Zooka.
Sting Ray wasn’t usable as a panic button and had a consistent damage hitbox. The user was also stuck in it for the full duration with no way to speed cancel it. If the meta didn’t revolve so heavily around Tenta Missiles and displacement, were it more aggressive, endgame Sting Ray would have probably been decent and far less hated. Zooka is inherently flawed with no weaknesses.
In my experience, specials that are panic buttons are the Triple Splashdown, Booyah Bomb, and the Reefslider.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Most important to me is the future. But the only real life difference between the different teams is which splatfest shirt I get, and past is very much the best one.

*Buster*

Full Squid
Personally I’m present.
Future on its own is boring depending where they go with it. If we take this fest as “what will the next game’s theme be” future is the most bland pick. There’s nothing interesting there except “futuristic.”
Past has the most potential as a theme, however I don’t actually expect Nintendo to go all out with a past theme, and we’ve had enough of the Squid Sisters taking over the main story. I love them, but the other idols need some love.
While present is arguably the most boring, it also has the implication that Pearl and Marina can do something instead of being relegated to DLC. (The DLC’s are incredible, but not everyone bought them.) And as it stands, I’m honestly pretty happy with how Splatoon 3 is right now, and I don’t really want to risk losing any of the weapon types we have right now if Nintendo decides to go all in on the theming of past or future.
All that being said, I think past and present are the best options. Future is just too bland.

Cephalobro

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
If any idol group deserves more development, it's Deep Cut, they didn't have enough meaningful development in their debut game, while both the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook got more than enough development as is. To me, I just find the Present theme too boring because it would just be same ol', same ol' if they won, I want to see a complete change in settings, the urban environment of the hubs started to become bland because there's barely any change in scenery. The concrete ground especially started to mesh in. There are many rural locations where they can make hubs out of, and the number of accessible shops can still be found in a rural location. I just don't want the next game's hub to take place in yet another concrete jungle.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Personally I’m present.
Future on its own is boring depending where they go with it. If we take this fest as “what will the next game’s theme be” future is the most bland pick. There’s nothing interesting there except “futuristic.”
“Futuristic” isn’t bland. There are plenty of ways to interpret it. That’s just like saying the only direction they can take Past’s theme is “historical”.
What I would consider more bland is a present theming, since it would just end up being more of the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom