• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Fire Emblem Social Thread

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
Being a huge fan of the Fire Emblem series (although only having three games under my belt) I decided it would be appropriate to form a Fire Emblem social thread. Here, you can talk about your favorite games, characters, interesting strategies, you name it! To start off discussion though, what's your favorite game and why? I personally enjoy FE7 the most out of the ones I played. The GBA art style is my favorite in general, and the game had some colorful characters shown via support conversations. The storyline was also very interesting.

Also, if anyone has any creative ideas for a title please let me know. I'm lacking creativity at the moment.

(whats your favorite idea? mine is being creative~) SHUSH GUINEA

hinata2000100

Inkster Jr.
I've only ever played Awakening to completion. I have the first Fire Emblem and Radiant Dawn, but I never got very far in either. I'm hoping to change that sometime soon, though. I need more FE games under my belt.

Sleepy_Icarus

Inkling
NNID
StarrKnight
Can't really say that I'm a fan of the series since I've only played Awakening. Even then, I was completely hooked on the game. So which side are you guys gonna pick for the next installments? Nohr or Hoshido?

Shaggy_MN_1975

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shaggy_MN_1975
I just recently got into the series with Sacred Stones. I had to start over because I had too many casualties and was unable to advance the story. I do enjoy the strategy involved with this game. It's pretty simple at first, but builds up as the game moves on.

I have been trying to get my hands on Path of Radiance for a while now but the prices get too high for me. So if anybody can help me out with that, (hint, hint) haha!!

I definitely look forward to playing as much of the series as possible, as well as future titles in the franchise.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Still haven't beaten Awakening, mainly because I don't know where I put my 3DS :(

But the important thing is my Avatar married Anna, and that's all that matters.

Top tier waifu, let's go.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
Can't really say that I'm a fan of the series since I've only played Awakening. Even then, I was completely hooked on the game. So which side are you guys gonna pick for the next installments? Nohr or Hoshido?
I may be the largest detractor of "St." Garon, and I long to see him destroyed and annihilated, but I'm still thinking I'm going to end up going Nohr. This is by no means set.

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
Nohr. Apparently the gameplay is going to be a lot more difficult, seeing as it may go chapter to chapter with no EXP grinding. Also because in that situation, that's the moral choice I would pick. Why go off with some family you don't know while the people who cared for and raised you are right there?

Sleepy_Icarus

Inkling
NNID
StarrKnight
Nohr. Apparently the gameplay is going to be a lot more difficult, seeing as it may go chapter to chapter with no EXP grinding. Also because in that situation, that's the moral choice I would pick. Why go off with some family you don't know while the people who cared for and raised you are right there?
I mean, it would kinda hurt to find out that the person you were turned out to be a complete lie? Regardless, I might go with Nohr just for the difficulty and more diverse objectives. I don't really see much going for Hoshido besides the characters.

Apparently it's been confirmed that there will be an easier mode than casual and unlimited weapon usage.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/1...modes-and-no-longer-has-limited-weapon-usage/

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I have yet to try a Fire Emblem game but I am hoping to get Awakening sometime. I recently played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit, I think the full game would be fun. And ever since playing Smash 4, Lucina has grown on me. I enjoy playing as her but feel wrong doing so since I haven't played Awakening, I think I need to change that haha. Too bad I'm currently saving my money for Splatoon. :|

Space Stranger

Inkling
I have yet to try a Fire Emblem game but I am hoping to get Awakening sometime. I recently played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit, I think the full game would be fun. And ever since playing Smash 4, Lucina has grown on me. I enjoy playing as her but feel wrong doing so since I haven't played Awakening, I think I need to change that haha. Too bad I'm currently saving my money for Splatoon. :|
Don't worry about maining Lucina before playing Awakening. I messed with Marth long before I played Shadow Dragoon on the DS.

Awakening, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, and Fire Emblem Blazing Sword (or just "Fire Emblem" in the U.S.) are great games to start with.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
Don't worry about maining Lucina before playing Awakening. I messed with Marth long before I played Shadow Dragoon on the DS.

Awakening, Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, and Fire Emblem Blazing Sword (or just "Fire Emblem" in the U.S.) are great games to start with.
I remember when I was really little and I saw Marth and Roy in Melee, I wondered who in the world they were lol. I didn't even think Fire Emblem was Nintendo since I hadn't heard of it.

I might download Fire Emblem on my 3DS first because it's cheaper and it'd be a good way to see if I like the games. I'm pretty picky about RPGs. :b

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
But did they? I'm still unsure. I don't have enough information to know if they actually cared for me, or if they just treated me like some trophy. There is some indication that there was some family affection between the Avatar and the Nohr characters.

I may be the largest detractor of "St." Garon, and I long to see him destroyed and annihilated, but I'm still thinking I'm going to end up going Nohr. This is by no means set.
Another reason I lean toward Nohr is it seems like it will have a higher chance of a smaller body count. Even though there probably will be some opposition and fighting against the Hoshido cast, I don't see you just hauling of and killing them. Even though you never knew them throughout your life, they're still your birth family and killing your family is pretty damn uncool.

Hell, I've seen documentaries about prison life where prisoners have been killed by their fellow inmates because they learned that they were in jail for killing a family member. This is Nintendo we're talking about here, not A Song of Ice and Fire.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
Oh yay, Fire Emblem. Honestly my favorite video game series! I do enjoy myself a good strategy game! I've played... Well honestly it's probably easier to just say the only ones I haven't touched are the NES ones, the DS ones, and Radiant Dawn (which I'm going to play super soon with a friend of mine). Still makes me sad that some people only know the series through Smash. I'm glad Fire Emblem gets some love in the Smash series, but more people need to give the games a try because they're amazing. Looking forward to if! Going Nohr, I prefer the character design and I like the sound of it being more challenging.

Chapter Serf

Semi-Pro Squid
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
I'll play Hoshido if I learn that I don't outright massacre everyone in the Nohr campaign, and I'll play the Neutral Campaign if I learn I don't outright massacre everyone in both casts.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
I'll play Hoshido if I learn that I don't outright massacre everyone in the Nohr campaign, and I'll play the Neutral Campaign if I learn I don't outright massacre everyone in both casts.
I feel like picking Hoshido might have to end in a Nohr massacre. From a third party perspective, they ARE the aggressors, and therefore the "bad guys", and that usually means they all end up dead. I'm really interested in hearing more about the third campaign, though. It sounds like it could potentially be a really nice middle ground.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Awakening is honestly amazing and one of my favourite 3DS games, but I need to play more games in the series. I looked for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on eBay but holy hell are they expensive. I'll probably buy the Virtual Console ones off the eShop in the Summer.

As for If, I plan to play through both paths, naturally, but I'm unsure on the first one I'll go with. I intend to buy the version where you make the choice in game, as it includes both paths, as opposed to deciding beforehand and buying that version. I'll enter the game with an open mind and allow what happens to me and what I witness in game to sway which path I choose. It's going to be great, I can feel it. Also, THEY HAVE FEET NOW! THEY FINALLY HAVE FEET HALLELUJAH. My biggest problem with Awakening tbh.

Before Smash Bros 3DS came out I started replaying Awakening to prepare for Lucina and Robin, but I started the play through with my friend with me so i gave my avatar a stupid name. "R.L STINE" in all caps doesn't exactly mesh well with the likes of Chrom and Tharja. I made the most of it though and crafted her a sword called "The Goosebump." I've also decided that her actual name is now Arel Stine so I can still take the game seriously, haha.

I really liked the music in Awakening

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
I mean, it would kinda hurt to find out that the person you were turned out to be a complete lie? Regardless, I might go with Nohr just for the difficulty and more diverse objectives. I don't really see much going for Hoshido besides the characters.

Apparently it's been confirmed that there will be an easier mode than casual and unlimited weapon usage.
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/1...modes-and-no-longer-has-limited-weapon-usage/
Yep, just read about the difficulty changes. The unlimited weapons usage is slightly irking me but hey, what can I do about it? I'm sure it'll be a fun game no matter what.
But did they? I'm still unsure. I don't have enough information to know if they actually cared for me, or if they just treated me like some trophy. There is some indication that there was some family affection between the Avatar and the Nohr characters.
Going to have to agree with you there, actually. I still would like to go Nohr though. They are being portrayed as the "bad guys" as someone above me stated. I've always wanted to play the bad guys in a FE game. It may or may not have stemmed from the Team Rocket grunt on the bridge north of Cerulean asking me to join. XD
I remember when I was really little and I saw Marth and Roy in Melee, I wondered who in the world they were lol. I didn't even think Fire Emblem was Nintendo since I hadn't heard of it.

I might download Fire Emblem on my 3DS first because it's cheaper and it'd be a good way to see if I like the games. I'm pretty picky about RPGs. :b
GET THE GAME NOW. I love Awakening, but not as much as 7. Of course, if you have money issues don't invest in something that you can't afford, but I highly recommend it. or you can just emulate like I did

EDIT: I didn't emulate Awakening before anyone asks. Just to clear that up before I have issues and/or look stupid.

Last edited:

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
Awakening is honestly amazing and one of my favourite 3DS games, but I need to play more games in the series. I looked for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on eBay but holy hell are they expensive. I'll probably buy the Virtual Console ones off the eShop in the Summer.

As for If, I plan to play through both paths, naturally, but I'm unsure on the first one I'll go with. I intend to buy the version where you make the choice in game, as it includes both paths, as opposed to deciding beforehand and buying that version. I'll enter the game with an open mind and allow what happens to me and what I witness in game to sway which path I choose. It's going to be great, I can feel it. Also, THEY HAVE FEET NOW! THEY FINALLY HAVE FEET HALLELUJAH. My biggest problem with Awakening tbh.

Before Smash Bros 3DS came out I started replaying Awakening to prepare for Lucina and Robin, but I started the play through with my friend with me so i gave my avatar a stupid name. "R.L STINE" in all caps doesn't exactly mesh well with the likes of Chrom and Tharja. I made the most of it though and crafted her a sword called "The Goosebump." I've also decided that her actual name is now Arel Stine so I can still take the game seriously, haha.

I really liked the music in Awakening
Oh wow don't even get me started on PoR/RD prices. Not sure who decided they could be so high, but it's absolutely ridiculous.
Also "Don't Speak Her Name" is wonderful, definitely my favorite song in Awakening! Fire Emblem has always had good music, even in the old days, like this amazing map theme:

Last edited:

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
I'm a pretty big fan of the series, and I've played a good number of them. Got into it with Sacred Stones when a friend gave me a copy in high school. Went back and played 7 afterwards and liked it too. For me though, the highlight of the series is easily the Radiant Duology, they've got it all:
A great story with a well thought out setting and political background, a diverse cast of characters with great variety in personalities and all of whom have at the very least good designs, solid and fairly challenging gameplay that really expands upon pre existing trends built up by the previous games AND Radiant Dawn rewards you for playing PoR by reading your save data and bumping up the stats of characters who you had capped stats with! I really loved the mechanics of the series up til this point and the Radiant Duology really nailed everything down in my opinion.

On the other hand, to be honest, I was utterly disappointed by Awakening. The character and setting's writing generally felt weak with several characters simply being tropes (though I did like a few), the move towards a very typically anime art style was disappointing and overall hurt the visual designs of characters (though some, like Robin are still very nice) in my opinion, and the game has a poor sense of both unit balance and difficulty in my honest opinion. It was clearly designed with casual mode in mind, and while this isn't an issue so much in and of itself it makes Lunatic(and + if you're absurd) much more a dice rolling simulator than a strategy game which kind of misses the point of the series. Hard-Classic was an alright enough game to run through, but the Pair Up system felt a bit ham handed and poorly handled. It leaves many units a bit too weak to fight well on their own, but just on the verge of being so good they blow through everything, removing the challenge. Additionally the unlimited EXP grinding and money was not my thing, but that's neither here nor there. Ultimately though, what did it for me was making Radiant Dawn's battle saves a casual mode only feature AND making it so that enemy reinforcements spawn, move, and attack all on their turn of arrival rather than simply appearing as in previous games which gave you a chance to respond. This change makes some chapters downright frustrating to get through on Classic as you can have enemies simply appear and kill you in areas that you thought were safe, specifically the recruitment chapter for Walhart comes to mind. While most maps you can wager a guess as to where enemies come from, they usually have a large number of spawn areas and you have no clue what type of unit they will be, which makes even strategies taking them into account potentially null.

Keep in mind, I enjoyed some things. While I'm not a fan of the seal based promotion system in genral, the ability to not only promote but class change characters is an interesting inclusion and I enjoyed the system. I would like to see it a bit more well thought out and executed in future games. The ease of access to equipment was nice, though I preferred RD's built in shop to your camp. The expanded upon forging system is also nice and can lead to some enormously powerful weapons if you have the money. To be honest though, Awakening's best (and in my opinion only objective) improvement over the older FE's were these:
Pressing a single button to toggle enemy threat ranges is great
The new Ability system, while abuseable with enough time, is quite a step up from the limit system instilled in the Radiant Duo.

I'm not sold in the slightest on FE14 though if they manage to make the Nohr campaign truly as good as previous games tended to be then I'll gladly pick it up. So far the character designs are really irking on both sides so I'm not gonna hold my breath. The Hoshido side just seems like "FE:Awakening - More of the same **** if you liked that" so no thank you.

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
I'm a pretty big fan of the series, and I've played a good number of them. Got into it with Sacred Stones when a friend gave me a copy in high school. Went back and played 7 afterwards and liked it too. For me though, the highlight of the series is easily the Radiant Duology, they've got it all:
A great story with a well thought out setting and political background, a diverse cast of characters with great variety in personalities and all of whom have at the very least good designs, solid and fairly challenging gameplay that really expands upon pre existing trends built up by the previous games AND Radiant Dawn rewards you for playing PoR by reading your save data and bumping up the stats of characters who you had capped stats with! I really loved the mechanics of the series up til this point and the Radiant Duology really nailed everything down in my opinion.

On the other hand, to be honest, I was utterly disappointed by Awakening. The character and setting's writing generally felt weak with several characters simply being tropes (though I did like a few), the move towards a very typically anime art style was disappointing and overall hurt the visual designs of characters (though some, like Robin are still very nice) in my opinion, and the game has a poor sense of both unit balance and difficulty in my honest opinion. It was clearly designed with casual mode in mind, and while this isn't an issue so much in and of itself it makes Lunatic(and + if you're absurd) much more a dice rolling simulator than a strategy game which kind of misses the point of the series. Hard-Classic was an alright enough game to run through, but the Pair Up system felt a bit ham handed and poorly handled. It leaves many units a bit too weak to fight well on their own, but just on the verge of being so good they blow through everything, removing the challenge. Additionally the unlimited EXP grinding and money was not my thing, but that's neither here nor there. Ultimately though, what did it for me was making Radiant Dawn's battle saves a casual mode only feature AND making it so that enemy reinforcements spawn, move, and attack all on their turn of arrival rather than simply appearing as in previous games which gave you a chance to respond. This change makes some chapters downright frustrating to get through on Classic as you can have enemies simply appear and kill you in areas that you thought were safe, specifically the recruitment chapter for Walhart comes to mind. While most maps you can wager a guess as to where enemies come from, they usually have a large number of spawn areas and you have no clue what type of unit they will be, which makes even strategies taking them into account potentially null.

Keep in mind, I enjoyed some things. While I'm not a fan of the seal based promotion system in genral, the ability to not only promote but class change characters is an interesting inclusion and I enjoyed the system. I would like to see it a bit more well thought out and executed in future games. The ease of access to equipment was nice, though I preferred RD's built in shop to your camp. The expanded upon forging system is also nice and can lead to some enormously powerful weapons if you have the money. To be honest though, Awakening's best (and in my opinion only objective) improvement over the older FE's were these:
Pressing a single button to toggle enemy threat ranges is great
The new Ability system, while abusable with enough time, is quite a step up from the limit system instilled in the Radiant Duo.

I'm not sold in the slightest on FE14 though if they manage to make the Nohr campaign truly as good as previous games tended to be then I'll gladly pick it up. So far the character designs are really irking on both sides so I'm not gonna hold my breath. The Hoshido side just seems like "FE:Awakening - More of the same **** if you liked that" so no thank you.
I can understand where you're coming from - the anime style does seem lackluster compared to the pixel art that I enjoy on the GBA. However, the game does succeed at what it was meant for: bringing in new players and helping them succeed at it. 13 was never meant to be as challenging as the other games, and I can totally see it. I personally enjoyed the story, I see nothing wrong with it. I never expected my own daughter to turn her sword on me and try to prevent everything. Some of the other characters could have been better in the game. Example: I find Tharja just a little bit too weird and over-obsessed with MU. I'm just sitting here, hoping FE14 fixes some issues with Awakening. An idea that I hope IS goes through with is making Hoshido slightly more like Awakening if you're into that, and Nohr more like the other games in the series if you're into that. No matter what, I believe that I will stay with the FE series for a looong time. Unless they **** up a game so bad that I can't stand to buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom