Fire Emblem Social Thread

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
I do understand it's meant to be an entry point, but I feel they dropped a bit too low for that, Sacred Stones has a lot of the same things going on in it, but feels like a better game, it even has branching storylines. To be fair in regards to the story I really enjoyed the second arc with Walhart the Conqueror, it was very solid and well containted with some good writing and Walhart was a good villain. It had very little to do with the overarching plot executed by acts 1 and 3, but that's okay. I just found myself very uninvested in what was going on, especially after the game makes BOTH of the 'choices' you have in regards to the story not matter. It just wasn't really my cup of tea, I'm really glad you can understand where I'm coming from.
Yeah, Tharja is definitely among the worst of the worst.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
I'm a pretty big fan of the series, and I've played a good number of them. Got into it with Sacred Stones when a friend gave me a copy in high school. Went back and played 7 afterwards and liked it too. For me though, the highlight of the series is easily the Radiant Duology, they've got it all:
A great story with a well thought out setting and political background, a diverse cast of characters with great variety in personalities and all of whom have at the very least good designs, solid and fairly challenging gameplay that really expands upon pre existing trends built up by the previous games AND Radiant Dawn rewards you for playing PoR by reading your save data and bumping up the stats of characters who you had capped stats with! I really loved the mechanics of the series up til this point and the Radiant Duology really nailed everything down in my opinion.

On the other hand, to be honest, I was utterly disappointed by Awakening. The character and setting's writing generally felt weak with several characters simply being tropes (though I did like a few), the move towards a very typically anime art style was disappointing and overall hurt the visual designs of characters (though some, like Robin are still very nice) in my opinion, and the game has a poor sense of both unit balance and difficulty in my honest opinion. It was clearly designed with casual mode in mind, and while this isn't an issue so much in and of itself it makes Lunatic(and + if you're absurd) much more a dice rolling simulator than a strategy game which kind of misses the point of the series. Hard-Classic was an alright enough game to run through, but the Pair Up system felt a bit ham handed and poorly handled. It leaves many units a bit too weak to fight well on their own, but just on the verge of being so good they blow through everything, removing the challenge. Additionally the unlimited EXP grinding and money was not my thing, but that's neither here nor there. Ultimately though, what did it for me was making Radiant Dawn's battle saves a casual mode only feature AND making it so that enemy reinforcements spawn, move, and attack all on their turn of arrival rather than simply appearing as in previous games which gave you a chance to respond. This change makes some chapters downright frustrating to get through on Classic as you can have enemies simply appear and kill you in areas that you thought were safe, specifically the recruitment chapter for Walhart comes to mind. While most maps you can wager a guess as to where enemies come from, they usually have a large number of spawn areas and you have no clue what type of unit they will be, which makes even strategies taking them into account potentially null.

Keep in mind, I enjoyed some things. While I'm not a fan of the seal based promotion system in genral, the ability to not only promote but class change characters is an interesting inclusion and I enjoyed the system. I would like to see it a bit more well thought out and executed in future games. The ease of access to equipment was nice, though I preferred RD's built in shop to your camp. The expanded upon forging system is also nice and can lead to some enormously powerful weapons if you have the money. To be honest though, Awakening's best (and in my opinion only objective) improvement over the older FE's were these:
Pressing a single button to toggle enemy threat ranges is great
The new Ability system, while abuseable with enough time, is quite a step up from the limit system instilled in the Radiant Duo.

I'm not sold in the slightest on FE14 though if they manage to make the Nohr campaign truly as good as previous games tended to be then I'll gladly pick it up. So far the character designs are really irking on both sides so I'm not gonna hold my breath. The Hoshido side just seems like "FE:Awakening - More of the same **** if you liked that" so no thank you.
It seems like you have the same problems with Awakening as a lot of other people, and I totally understand where you're coming from. While Awakening DID introduce me to the series, and I love it for that, after going back and playing a lot of the older ones, Awakening definitely isn't one of my favorites. It's got quite a different vibe from older FE games, and, although I can appreciate it for what it is, I do prefer the direction many of the older games took. I kind of have my hopes up for FE14, because it sounds like they're trying to address a lot of the issues with Awakening, which is promising. Although admittedly this whole "Phoenix Mode" thing is making me have some doubts...

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Yeah seriously, who are they intending that mode for? Though to be fair, it'd be about an hour of programming to get it done, so it's not all that worth complaining about given it's optional.

Sleepy_Icarus

Inkling
NNID
StarrKnight
Yep, just read about the difficulty changes. The unlimited weapons usage is slightly irking me but hey, what can I do about it? I'm sure it'll be a fun game no matter what.
Can't really see why they would throw out such a main stay game mechanic, though. Are weapons going to be much harder to obtain or...?
I'm a pretty big fan of the series, and I've played a good number of them. Got into it with Sacred Stones when a friend gave me a copy in high school. Went back and played 7 afterwards and liked it too. For me though, the highlight of the series is easily the Radiant Duology, they've got it all:
A great story with a well thought out setting and political background, a diverse cast of characters with great variety in personalities and all of whom have at the very least good designs, solid and fairly challenging gameplay that really expands upon pre existing trends built up by the previous games AND Radiant Dawn rewards you for playing PoR by reading your save data and bumping up the stats of characters who you had capped stats with! I really loved the mechanics of the series up til this point and the Radiant Duology really nailed everything down in my opinion.

On the other hand, to be honest, I was utterly disappointed by Awakening. The character and setting's writing generally felt weak with several characters simply being tropes (though I did like a few), the move towards a very typically anime art style was disappointing and overall hurt the visual designs of characters (though some, like Robin are still very nice) in my opinion, and the game has a poor sense of both unit balance and difficulty in my honest opinion. It was clearly designed with casual mode in mind, and while this isn't an issue so much in and of itself it makes Lunatic(and + if you're absurd) much more a dice rolling simulator than a strategy game which kind of misses the point of the series. Hard-Classic was an alright enough game to run through, but the Pair Up system felt a bit ham handed and poorly handled. It leaves many units a bit too weak to fight well on their own, but just on the verge of being so good they blow through everything, removing the challenge. Additionally the unlimited EXP grinding and money was not my thing, but that's neither here nor there. Ultimately though, what did it for me was making Radiant Dawn's battle saves a casual mode only feature AND making it so that enemy reinforcements spawn, move, and attack all on their turn of arrival rather than simply appearing as in previous games which gave you a chance to respond. This change makes some chapters downright frustrating to get through on Classic as you can have enemies simply appear and kill you in areas that you thought were safe, specifically the recruitment chapter for Walhart comes to mind. While most maps you can wager a guess as to where enemies come from, they usually have a large number of spawn areas and you have no clue what type of unit they will be, which makes even strategies taking them into account potentially null.

Keep in mind, I enjoyed some things. While I'm not a fan of the seal based promotion system in genral, the ability to not only promote but class change characters is an interesting inclusion and I enjoyed the system. I would like to see it a bit more well thought out and executed in future games. The ease of access to equipment was nice, though I preferred RD's built in shop to your camp. The expanded upon forging system is also nice and can lead to some enormously powerful weapons if you have the money. To be honest though, Awakening's best (and in my opinion only objective) improvement over the older FE's were these:
Pressing a single button to toggle enemy threat ranges is great
The new Ability system, while abuseable with enough time, is quite a step up from the limit system instilled in the Radiant Duo.

I'm not sold in the slightest on FE14 though if they manage to make the Nohr campaign truly as good as previous games tended to be then I'll gladly pick it up. So far the character designs are really irking on both sides so I'm not gonna hold my breath. The Hoshido side just seems like "FE:Awakening - More of the same **** if you liked that" so no thank you.
Really wish the FE titles were more easily accessible. Much like how AstralSpirit said, I love Awakening for being my introduction into the series, but I've become aware of its design flaws over time. I hear a lot about how great the other titles were, but can't experience it. :/ Hopefully they release Radiant Dawn on eShop at some point.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I'm a huge fan of the Radiant Duology, I love the characters and managed to get through Radiant Dawn on Hard mode (dear god). I've been meaning to get around to some of the older games, I've also played through Shadow Dragon, I'm currently playing through Awakening right now after putting it off for a long time because it didn't look that interesting and so far it's very... gutted? I miss a lot of my stuff from the Radiant games like shoving, the different win/loss conditions, etc. I also feel like a lot of the characters are falling right into really anime-esque tropes? Like Sumia just felt like she walked out of a run of the mill slice of life anime and into a battlefield wearing a garterbelt and heels.

Really wish the FE titles were more easily accessible. Much like how AstralSpirit said, I love Awakening for being my introduction into the series, but I've become aware of its design flaws over time. I hear a lot about how great the other titles were, but can't experience it. :/ Hopefully they release Radiant Dawn on eShop at some point.
I'd love them to get a re-release, they're almost impossible to find now. It might also let nintendo see the market a little more.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
Oh man, I really gotta play Radiant Dawn. I've heard so many good things about it, and it sounds like everyone in this thread loves it.
Yeah seriously, who are they intending that mode for? Though to be fair, it'd be about an hour of programming to get it done, so it's not all that worth complaining about given it's optional.
The only real problem I have with Phoenix Mode is that if they're doing dumb stuff like that, then how many other bad decisions will they make for FE14?

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
That's a fair enough worry I feel much the same way given that mode reduces the game to being a visual novel.
By the way, I've been streaming Path of Radiance recently for some firends of mine, if you all would be interested I could throw a link down in here when I stream and anybody interested could watch! We're only a few missions into the game, so you haven't missed all that much.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
That's a fair enough worry I feel much the same way given that mode reduces the game to being a visual novel.
By the way, I've been streaming Path of Radiance recently for some firends of mine, if you all would be interested I could throw a link down in here when I stream and anybody interested could watch! We're only a few missions into the game, so you haven't missed all that much.
I'm always up for seeing a Fire Emblem stream, not enough people do those.

IrisZ

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
Gonna throw in my opinions here because Wynaut

I've played Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword/the "Fire Emblem" game for the GBA, Shadow Dragon, and Awakening to completion. I've played a bit if PoR and RD and only dabbled a bit into Sacred Stones

My favourites have got to be either Rekka no Ken for my childhood memories with it (Lyn is bae) or Awakening because waifu simulator. I personally enjoyed Awakening for being quite innovative with bringing dual support into the series (albeit it's rather broken)

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Planning to play Awakening soon. I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Hopefully, I'll enjoy it.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Thanks for anybody who wached, we got less done than last time but that's okay I just played that mission ineffectively. Next stream will likely be tomorrow or the next day.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
Oh Hey, Fire Emblem. I'm a HUGE fire emblem fan.

I started with the first western release of Fire Emblem, AKA FE7, or Fire Emblem Blazing Sword. To this day, it's still my ABSOLUTE favorite Fire Emblem game, despite it's initial hand-holding for westerners because of it's three protagonists. They were all great, and Hector, the best lord, even had a good hard mode scenario. I've played FE8: Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Path and Dawn of Radiance, and even Fire Emblems 1 and 4(Seisen No Keifu/Genealogy of the Holy War) And of course, awakening.

I'm really excited for the new Fire Emblem game, specifically the Nohr scenario, because it reminds me more of the old school style FE games. Awakening was fantastic, and saved the franchise, but it took a lot of steps backwards in terms of mechanical complexity and variety of objectives in missions. Surprisingly i'm not that big a fan of the Radiant Duology, just because i really really disliked what they did to supports in Radiant Dawn.

I kind of hope they eventually port or remake the earlier games in the franchise for the west. I never got far in FE4 due to bad translation, but holy crap, that game is like the most intense fire emblem ever, mechanically. The first fight in the game has you capture not one but two enemy strongholds and fight like 50 soldiers. They weren't messing around.
I'd also love a port/remake of 6 especially, since FE7, it's prequel, is my favorite game.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
Oh Hey, Fire Emblem. I'm a HUGE fire emblem fan.

I started with the first western release of Fire Emblem, AKA FE7, or Fire Emblem Blazing Sword. To this day, it's still my ABSOLUTE favorite Fire Emblem game, despite it's initial hand-holding for westerners because of it's three protagonists. They were all great, and Hector, the best lord, even had a good hard mode scenario. I've played FE8: Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Path and Dawn of Radiance, and even Fire Emblems 1 and 4(Seisen No Keifu/Genealogy of the Holy War) And of course, awakening.

I'm really excited for the new Fire Emblem game, specifically the Nohr scenario, because it reminds me more of the old school style FE games. Awakening was fantastic, and saved the franchise, but it took a lot of steps backwards in terms of mechanical complexity and variety of objectives in missions. Surprisingly i'm not that big a fan of the Radiant Duology, just because i really really disliked what they did to supports in Radiant Dawn.

I kind of hope they eventually port or remake the earlier games in the franchise for the west. I never got far in FE4 due to bad translation, but holy crap, that game is like the most intense fire emblem ever, mechanically. The first fight in the game has you capture not one but two enemy strongholds and fight like 50 soldiers. They weren't messing around.
I'd also love a port/remake of 6 especially, since FE7, it's prequel, is my favorite game.
FE4 has a bad translation? How long ago must you have tried that game? Literally everything but the ending and chapter titles are in English now. It's my favorite game in the series, definitely worth playing through. If you thought FE4's translation is bad, be glad you never tried the FE5 translation...

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
FE4 has a bad translation? How long ago must you have tried that game? Literally everything but the ending and chapter titles are in English now. It's my favorite game in the series, definitely worth playing through. If you thought FE4's translation is bad, be glad you never tried the FE5 translation...
oh i tried it FOREVER ago. Back before it was finished. like, it's been over a decade by now. wow, i feel old, haha.

I'll have to go back to it later, now i just got Fire Emblem 7 on the virtual console, and i have to beat it and unlock hector mode. Going to need to come up with a theme team for how i play this time. I always like using specific sets of characters as a focal point of runs i play through- like an entire team of mounted units, or a focus on magic users, lords, or axe users, or making matthew the thief a god-killer for some reason.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
oh i tried it FOREVER ago. Back before it was finished. like, it's been over a decade by now. wow, i feel old, haha.

I'll have to go back to it later, now i just got Fire Emblem 7 on the virtual console, and i have to beat it and unlock hector mode. Going to need to come up with a theme team for how i play this time. I always like using specific sets of characters as a focal point of runs i play through- like an entire team of mounted units, or a focus on magic users, lords, or axe users, or making matthew the thief a god-killer for some reason.
Wow yeah, it's definitely been improved since then, and it is well worth giving a try. Sounds like you enjoyed the prologue (yes, that was just the prologue), and I can assure you, every other map in the game is bigger. Much bigger.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
Wow yeah, it's definitely been improved since then, and it is well worth giving a try. Sounds like you enjoyed the prologue (yes, that was just the prologue), and I can assure you, every other map in the game is bigger. Much bigger.
yeah, i managed to only make it about 3 or 4 chapters in through the prologue. Back then, the stats were just kanji and a lot of dialogue boxes were just empty. It was still so impressive in scope that i had to try and play througth what i could. That game is like, the most elite hardcore i've seen when it comes to fire emblem. Multiple objectives per mission, and LITERALLY more enemies than you could shake a stick at. It also set the precedent for generations.

I also wonder if FE6 has got a good translation now, would be fitting to play through that as well.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
yeah, i managed to only make it about 3 or 4 chapters in through the prologue. Back then, the stats were just kanji and a lot of dialogue boxes were just empty. It was still so impressive in scope that i had to try and play througth what i could. That game is like, the most elite hardcore i've seen when it comes to fire emblem. Multiple objectives per mission, and LITERALLY more enemies than you could shake a stick at. It also set the precedent for generations.

I also wonder if FE6 has got a good translation now, would be fitting to play through that as well.
Yeah, FE4 is on a massive scale. And everything is translated now. You'd be sure to understand. Most people think of FE5 as the really tough one. It has a... buggy translation, but it sounds more playable that the version of FE4 you saw. FE6 is translated to the point that it looks like any other GBA game. And it's a great one too! FE6 hard mode may be the toughest thing you could ever experience outside of lunatic mode in the more recent games. In fact, a few FE6 hard mode chapters feel like they belong in a lunatic mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom