Fire Emblem Social Thread

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
Yeah, FE4 is on a massive scale. And everything is translated now. You'd be sure to understand. Most people think of FE5 as the really tough one. It has a... buggy translation, but it sounds more playable that the version of FE4 you saw. FE6 is translated to the point that it looks like any other GBA game. And it's a great one too! FE6 hard mode may be the toughest thing you could ever experience outside of lunatic mode in the more recent games. In fact, a few FE6 hard mode chapters feel like they belong in a lunatic mode.
hah, wow, i looks like im going to go back on an FE binge!

So AstralSpirit, i see what you think of Phoenix Mode, and i'm exactly the same... i kinda don't understand why they'd do that after casual mode was already a thing. And add in that they're removing weapon durability? What do you think of that? Unless they completely rework how weapons function in these games, i'm at a loss for how or why they'd do that.

Everything about FE14 feels to me like it's a fork in the road for the direction the franchise will go. With a lighter, more casual fan friendly approach following the success of awakening in the Hoshido campaign, or a final attempt to hit it big on a more classic style, difficult fire emblem with the Nohr campaign.

I know i'm definitely going for Nohr first.

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
hah, wow, i looks like im going to go back on an FE binge!

So AstralSpirit, i see what you think of Phoenix Mode, and i'm exactly the same... i kinda don't understand why they'd do that after casual mode was already a thing. And add in that they're removing weapon durability? What do you think of that? Unless they completely rework how weapons function in these games, i'm at a loss for how or why they'd do that.

Everything about FE14 feels to me like it's a fork in the road for the direction the franchise will go. With a lighter, more casual fan friendly approach following the success of awakening in the Hoshido campaign, or a final attempt to hit it big on a more classic style, difficult fire emblem with the Nohr campaign.

I know i'm definitely going for Nohr first.
I'm not sure how I feel about no weapons durability yet. There's the potential to do cool things with it. For instance, in FE4, which has repairable weapons, a weapons could boost your crit rate once it hit 50 kills. If there's a good reason for no durability, I really won't mind it. I'm going Nohr too. I definitely want more challenge and varied mission objectives.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I'm cautiously optimistic about Nohr, so far it's looking alright. Still not loving a lot of the designs (dear god Camilla pls why are you in a battle thong and half a shirt) but the reworked weapons triangle to include bows and make some changes on how thrown weapons are treated sounds interesting.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
I think that the no weapon durability is just different, not necessarily good or bad. they seem to really be taking into account how to balance the system and also with any good game design weapons will be few and far between in terms of new ones. Hell, you may only get a single Thoron or Arcfire tome in the whole game and the hard part would be deciding who to give it to. The updated weapon's triangle is kind of the same way, I don't think it'll be necessarily good or bad, just different and variety is the spice of life.

If I get this game I'll definitely pick up the Nohr campaign and if I'm impressed by it I'll pick up the other two. Hoshido just to see how bad it is by comparison and the neutral one just to see what they do with it.

(@FE6's difficulty I didn't have much trouble with it personally, but I found the whole game a bit dull tbh)

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
I think that the no weapon durability is just different, not necessarily good or bad. they seem to really be taking into account how to balance the system and also with any good game design weapons will be few and far between in terms of new ones. Hell, you may only get a single Thoron or Arcfire tome in the whole game and the hard part would be deciding who to give it to. The updated weapon's triangle is kind of the same way, I don't think it'll be necessarily good or bad, just different and variety is the spice of life.

If I get this game I'll definitely pick up the Nohr campaign and if I'm impressed by it I'll pick up the other two. Hoshido just to see how bad it is by comparison and the neutral one just to see what they do with it.

(@FE6's difficulty I didn't have much trouble with it personally, but I found the whole game a bit dull tbh)
Did you do FE6 on hard mode? Some of the chapters before the first arena are pretty tough, 4 is very annoying, and 7 is an absolute nightmare. Once the arena becomes available, things get a lot easier.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Ye, I did it on hard since I hadn't heard much about it's difficulty and I'd played through SS on hard shortly beforehand. Roy ended up being more or less a paperweight for my runthrough, but Wendy, Gonzales and a few others carried the game. I even got all of the gaiden chapters so I could get the ~true ending~.

It wasn't a bad game gameplay wise, I just wasn't all that enthralled with the story, which is disappointing cause I really like the implimentation of giaden chapters as rewards for consistent good play.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
I kind of liked archers being entirely seperate from the weapons triangle, but without durability, i suppose giving them the same faults and benefits is a good thing. I'm curious about these "hidden weapons" as well. I'm also just really hopeful to get some older mechanics of the series back, like night time/fog of war fights, real defensive battles, perhaps ballistae, and recruiting enemies. Also, secret chapters with objectives to unlock.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Nohr, so far it's looking alright. Still not loving a lot of the designs (dear god Camilla pls why are you in a battle thong and half a shirt) but the reworked weapons triangle to include bows and make some changes on how thrown weapons are treated sounds interesting.
i haven't been the biggest fan of the designs since awakening. looking at characters like Kellam, Sully or Kjelle makes me feel like the artist really likes drawing clothing, but hates making armor. Sully always looked kinda like she was wearing a toilet bowl to me, lol. I haven't seen much yet, but i hope the armor designs on characters in this game are less... strange and.. blocky, i guess?

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
The reworked triangle feels like... maybe a bit too much to me. But who knows. I'll have to test it out before i can really decide.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
I kind of liked archers being entirely seperate from the weapons triangle, but without durability, i suppose giving them the same faults and benefits is a good thing. I'm curious about these "hidden weapons" as well. I'm also just really hopeful to get some older mechanics of the series back, like night time/fog of war fights, real defensive battles, perhaps ballistae, and recruiting enemies. Also, secret chapters with objectives to unlock.

i haven't been the biggest fan of the designs since awakening. looking at characters like Kellam, Sully or Kjelle makes me feel like the artist really likes drawing clothing, but hates making armor. Sully always looked kinda like she was wearing a toilet bowl to me, lol. I haven't seen much yet, but i hope the armor designs on characters in this game are less... strange and.. blocky, i guess?
I'd love to have a lot of the old mechanics back, they were sorely missed in Awakening. Having nearly every single mission be rout or defeat commander? With almost no environmental effects or interactability outside of doors? That got boring pretty fast. I'd also love to have shoving back because I kept wanting to use it in Awakening lol.

Also yeah Awakening had a lot of REALLY BAD designs imo. All the general armor was pretty ugly, the Cherche had her whole back exposed for no real reason, pegasus knights all wore garterbelts and heels, and a bunch of people ran around with big thigh high boot cover things over their actual thigh high boots. The worst imo are the redesigns older characters got if they were DLC, like have you seen Micaiah or Elincia? Or Eirika getting stuck with Bride as her base class? It just makes me sad.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
The reworked weapons triangle sounds like a good idea given other mechanics changes now that I've thought more on it, especially since we know what it is exactly already.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I've ordered a copy of Awakening. Hopefully, I'll get to play it in a couple of months. Been wanting to see what the fuss is all about.

Sleepy_Icarus

Inkling
NNID
StarrKnight
Just to try and get some activity around here, who is every one's favorite character in the series?

AstralSpirit

Full Squid
NNID
AstralSpirit26
If I'm allowed to go with a villain for favorite character, Trabant from the Jugdral games is a really interesting character. I'm not really sure if any playable character has ever stood out to me as hands-down my favorite character in the series. Although I suppose I can never play Sacred Stones without using Lute, so maybe I'll go with her.

Moydow

Inkling
This is Nintendo we're talking about here, not A Song of Ice and Fire.
yeah, but they did do FE4, and a lot of the stuff that goes on there wouldn't look out of place in a chapter of ASoIaF, or an episode of Game of Thrones.

Just to try and get some activity around here, who is every one's favorite character in the series?
I'd say Sigurd and Eldigan from FE4, Catria from FE12, and Lucina from FE13.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
My favorite units are Amelia from Sacred Strones Astrid from PoR+RD. Character wise I really enjoy Gonzales, Ike, and again Astrid. The Black Knight is also a really well handled villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom