• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Getting the competitive edge out of abilities (info from official strategy guide)

Casperr

Full Squid

Key times:
1:10 - Sub vs main abilities
1:36 - Stacking abilities
3:15 - Abilities stacking restrictions
4:28 - Item unique effects
4:52 - Brand affect on sub abilities
5:50 - Changing or adding an item's abilities
6:24 - Perks mixed with cosmetics - good or bad

For those of you who prefer to read, here's the key points:
  • Main abilities are 3x more potent than sub abilities
  • Abilities stack, but there are diminishing returns
    • 1st instance main ability is worth X
    • 2nd and 3rd instance of the same main ability are worth X/2 i.e. are each half as powerful as the first ability
    • Every individual ability has a different % effect - some increase by 20%, others by 50%, etc
    • Some abilities have programmed limits which can be less powerful than full stack effect. E.g. Damage Up cannot increase a weapon's shots to kill (unless enemy is wearing a defense buff)
    • Some abilities are permanent effects so therefore cannot be stacked. These abilities, such as Ninja Squid, are only available on one type of cosmetic e.g. footwear
  • Each unique cosmetic will always have the same main ability e.g. Gas Mask always has Tenacity. These can never be changed
  • Sub abilities can be rerolled with Spyke, but this will reroll all sub abilities on an item
  • You can add sub abilities to items that only have 1 or 2 sub abilities already on them
  • Each brand has a particular sub ability it is 5x more likely to get! Each brand also has a sub ability it is only 0.5x as likely to get (see chart @ 5:30 in the video)
Any questions on my interpretation of the official strategy guide just ask and I'll do my best to help!

Vyledust

Inkling
I reset my game 5 times as my boots leveled up to try to get a specific sub ability on it. It gave def up every time. I wonder if it is not random after all. At least not initially.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
This is a really great guide! Very informative and good presentation to boot.:)
I didn't know there was an official strategy guide so I think I'll pick one up.

Krozo

Full Squid
NNID
KrozoMagnus
This is the most informative thing I have seen on abilities, gonna have to get me a strategy guide! The brand thing surprises me the most.

Casperr

Full Squid
I reset my game 5 times as my boots leveled up to try to get a specific sub ability on it. It gave def up every time. I wonder if it is not random after all. At least not initially.
It's possible that the game assigns a particular instance of an item's sub abilities when the item is created so the question marks are effectively covering up some pre-decided abilities. They might have guessed people would try and reset the game to get the abilities to roll again so put in a way to have it make no difference!

Just a theory though, the guide doesn't mention it. I'll have to try next time an ability of mine is unlocking to see if the same happens

Vyledust

Inkling
It's possible that the game assigns a particular instance of an item's sub abilities when the item is created so the question marks are effectively covering up some pre-decided abilities. They might have guessed people would try and reset the game to get the abilities to roll again so put in a way to have it make no difference!

Just a theory though, the guide doesn't mention it. I'll have to try next time an ability of mine is unlocking to see if the same happens
I was able to get duplicate boots two days in a row. Will test again.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Does resetting the game actually work? I thought the game saves always right before it shows which ability you get to prevent abuse. It does on Spyke's rerolls for sure (too bad they fixed the Judd bug in v1.2 :D ). I think I wouldn't want to risk a crash of my savefile just to edge out all abilities, as I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far.

On another note: Does the rank (1/2/3 stars) of the item effect the power of the abilities in any way?

Vyledust

Inkling
Does resetting the game actually work? I thought the game saves always right before it shows which ability you get to prevent abuse. It does on Spyke's rerolls for sure (too bad they fixed the Judd bug in v1.2 :D ). I think I wouldn't want to risk a crash of my savefile just to edge out all abilities, as I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far.

On another note: Does the rank (1/2/3 stars) of the item effect the power of the abilities in any way?
I did not see the save icon form. I will check it out next upgrade.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
Does the Amiibo brand have any ability preferences?

D

Deleted Member

Since Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump and Cold-Blooded do not stack and work the same regardless of slot, they should always be used in sub slots.

EarthBoundEnigma

Inkster Jr.
Since Ninja Squid, Ninja Jump and Cold-Blooded do not stack and work the same regardless of slot, they should always be used in sub slots.
These abilities will never be in sub slots for that reason. Ninja Jump will only ever be a main slot on a shoe, Ninja Squid will only ever be a main slot on a shirt, etc.

Feryn Hyrk

Full Squid
Your accent made it a bit harder to understand but your guide was very helpfull, thanks a lot!

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
I did not see the save icon form. I will check it out next upgrade.
They don't.

Now here's a question: What if I had everything main slot as Ink Saver (Main), and each sub slot Ink Saver (Main) as well. Like, 9 sub slots of Ink Saver and 3 main slots of Ink Saver. Would the modifier be +300% on my tank?

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Ahhh this is a super helpful guide. thanks so much for making it.

In the direct, they said that new clothes and abilities would be added. In the guide, it has weapons and stages that haven't been released yet, but I guess new abilities will come in later?

SirEndipity

Inkling
NNID
SunBucket
Do the sub abilities also have diminishing returns? Great video by the way.

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
They never appear in sub slots along with the other 5 One-Time abilities.

Dsssdds

Inkling
NNID
Dsssdds
Does the Amiibo brand have any ability preferences?
Samurai helmet has strength up, Samurai Jacket has Special Charge Up, Samurai Shoes has Special Duration up.
Squid hairclip has Swim speed up, School uniform has Ink recovery up, School Shoes has Ink saver (sub),
Power Mask has Defense up, Power armor has Quick Respawn time, And Power Boots has Ink Saver (Main).
Each piece of amiibo gear has 2 empty slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom