Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Aaand down it goes again...

And of course I got the "you do not have an internet connection" 23 seconds from winning big against the camping annoying splooshes with my Japanese team of awesomeness. This time it's down more, the lobby and "connecting to internet" don't work much like the "emergency maintenance" a few other times.

Minato Arisato

Senior Squid
Looks like it's not as smooth as before. That's fine, since I'm starting to get a headache. I'll be back tomorrow.

Award

I started at 1200 power, so I haven't seen 1/8th the vicious that is characteristic of turf war, but overall the players are several times more skilled than what 1200 amounted to in NA splatfests.
This very much. Even when I started and had a big ugly losing streak, while annoying, it wasn't as annoying as past splatfests and the losses were within a few percent only. They play felt better. The skill level is high but it's not the bizzarro visciousness. Could be time of day though. IMO it gets worse over the course of the fests. It feels....like TW. Instead of like some odd deathmatch like it's been feeling. Which is strange to say considering the Japanese players can be the most verocious of all.

@fuchsia I can't figure out what it is that's different about Japanese play style though. 90% of my games, both ranked and TW are predominantly JP as well so I'm also mostly used to their play. But I haven't figured out what makes it different.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Can't play Smash or Pokken either. Haven't tried anything on my 3DS yet.

Hopefully this Splatfest won't extend Friday the 13th through the weekend. Will give it a try tomorrow.

I'm an EDIT yeah~ boy!:
@fuchsia & @Award, both Turf and ranked I'm slowly coming to feel that different regions possessing different overall/common/whatever playstyles. Maybe one of you should create a thread to discuss it? *nudge nudge*

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Pack your bags folks. Splatefest is over. Ok not really, it finally gives the message of servers undergoing maintenance, but i wonder for how long. Either way. I guess i'm gonna finish later today ugh -.-#

Award

Can't play Smash or Pokken either. Haven't tried anything on my 3DS yet.

Hopefully this Splatfest won't extend Friday the 13th through the weekend. Will give it a try tomorrow.
Yeah when the "connecting to internet" fails it generally means the whole of NN is down - or at least the WiiU half of it.

Status update shows "network difficulties" affecting "all network services" and shows the WiiU and 3DS icons. So yeah. NN itself is down :rolleyes:

Wonder if it has anything to do with some of the weird lag. I get lag issues where players die AFTER I kill them and issues were I die AFTER I killed them. But this was the first time I heard their roller splash or their fired shots and heard them "hit" me AFTER I had killed them.

Pack your bags folks. Splatefest is over. Ok not really, it finally gives the message of servers undergoing maintenance, but i wonder for how long. Either way. I guess i'm gonna finish later today ugh -.-#
Yeah but since Japan is involved Nintendo will treat this outage like it actually matters ;)

Rabite

Inkster Jr.
NNID
cboyd1987
I can't figure out what it is that's different about Japanese play style though. 90% of my games, both ranked and TW are predominantly JP as well so I'm also mostly used to their play. But I haven't figured out what makes it different.
More aggressive play and high situational awareness. It's hard to steal back control of a map, because so many teams are acutely aware of everything happening that they appear to be everywhere at once.

I'm also wouldn't rule out a slight ping advantage. Helps enough where it counts.

qnqbub

Inkling
NNID
qnqbub
'searching for a battle to join...' after 10 times trying to join a battle this is shown on my screen for more than 15 minutes...

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Room is stuck at 89 seconds, Team Fancy is ready! Waiting for opponents...(....................................)

This has been going on for 10 mins. Guess no one showed up for the costume party.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I gave up maybe an hour ago after the servers fried. May get back on later if it works fine, but for my experience, I'd rather play with Japan than my own region, cuz our internet do not go hand and hand. Matches have been flawless.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
At this point i'm imagining that in the splatoon universe itself, one or a group of inklings got super drunk (you can't tell me these things haven't discovered alcohol yet) and are causing a lot of trouble and suddenly a big fight breaks loose, causing them to temporarily stop the splatfest to solve the problem.

Last edited:

Award

More aggressive play and high situational awareness. It's hard to steal back control of a map, because so many teams are acutely aware of everything happening that they appear to be everywhere at once.

I'm also wouldn't rule out a slight ping advantage. Helps enough where it counts.
Makes sense to a point, but I can honestly say I've seen plenty of that same kind of play from the non-JP splatfests as well. And quite honestly that's the kind of play that's more frustrating and annoying than it is fun - the sense that there's 10 of them versus 4 of us. But just as often the lone "4" of us are me + 3 Japanese players (and my 3 Japanese players are awful) - so I'm not sure that's the key to Japanese style play, I think that's just the key to exceptional players in general. It's just that there's more exceptional players that are Japanese than otherwise. Average Japanese players seem to be as bad or worse than the rest of us ;)

But there's still a different "something" in their style.

fuchsia

Full Squid
NNID
fuchsiaplays

definitely those, especially "high situational awareness". i'd also say that the japanese players are much more likely to ink the base [depending on weapon, of course] than american players, who tend to just rush in to the face of battle [and get splatted immediately, because they don't pay attention to their surroundings]. i hate playing charger before 8pm CST because i know nobody else will ink the base, until i matched up with primarily japanese players.

not to say that i'm better than those who rush in, i especially have that tunnel vision in tower control [i'm working on it!], but i've learned from japanese players to take that extra couple seconds to assess the situation before running in.

i have a good ping [rarely above 10], so i don't know specifically how a higher ping affects gameplay but i will say, american players also tend to disconnect more. but i'm more apt to blame that on our terrible ISPs [comcast is the woooorst] than conspiracy about nintendo's servers. most of the time. :)

i've had a few funny lag moments so far tonight that i recorded, i'll have to find the others later but here and here. love that lag!

Ansible

Community Ambassador
At this point i'm imagining that in the splatoon universe itself, one or a group of inklings got super drunk (you can't tell me these thing haven't discovered alcohol yet) and are causing a lot of trouble and suddenly a big fight breaks loose, causing them to temporarily stop the splatfest to solve the problem.
Considering humans are able to make alcohol from just about anything throughout history and across multiple cultures even... I'd be highly disappointed if inklings couldn't figure out how to at least make alcoholic kelp. Otherwise, I'm joining the octolings!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Wow, looks like Friday the 13th strikes again with these server failures. And here I was thinking the day would go by without a hitch...

Y'know, it's weird. I know I say this every Splatfest, but it's true: when my teammates are good, they're REALLY good, and when they're bad, they're awful. I was right about how the matches would end up, every single one being a brutal game of tug-'o-war. Bloody trench warfare is what it is.

I've had a few problems with it taking forever to connect to teammates/opponents (5 minutes I was stuck at the bloody "Searching for opponents" screen!), but oddly enough I've only been dropped mid-match once. Not that that's much consolation, since it happened just as the bell sounded. And that was the match where I was the one bringing my team back to life! All that effort put to waste... pardon me while I go punch out my wall...

From what y'all are saying, it doesn't sound like the connection nightmare is going away any time soon. Perhaps this is a sign that a Global Splatfest isn't such a good idea. Hopefully things will improve by morning.

Makes sense to a point, but I can honestly say I've seen plenty of that same kind of play from the non-JP splatfests as well. And quite honestly that's the kind of play that's more frustrating and annoying than it is fun - the sense that there's 10 of them versus 4 of us. But just as often the lone "4" of us are me + 3 Japanese players (and my 3 Japanese players are awful) - so I'm not sure that's the key to Japanese style play, I think that's just the key to exceptional players in general. It's just that there's more exceptional players that are Japanese than otherwise. Average Japanese players seem to be as bad or worse than the rest of us ;)

But there's still a different "something" in their style.
Y'know, I noticed that too. I'm actually glad, believe it or not.

You see, the first time I participated in a Splatfest, I was blown away by how much more serious everybody was taking things. Ordinary Turf Wars were simple mess-making sessions, but Splatfest battles? Those players were out for blood. And I loved it; it felt like the stakes were higher because the matches were tougher, if that makes any sense. It's like, the prize for winning gave me the incentive to go all-out, and it did likewise for everyone else. It's almost like you're fighting an actual war.*

Right around winter, I noticed that same mentality creeping into regular Turf Wars. In all honesty, I was a bit annoyed, since I preferred having the cutthroat playstyle limited to Splatfests and Ranked Battles. So I began to think of Splatfests as nothing more than "new" regular Turf Wars with only the nighttime setting and a special prize at the end to make it different.

So for these battles to up the ante even more, to make the fights even more vicious... it comes across as a return to the Splatfests of old. I'm all for it, even though I know I'm gonna get my rear end kicked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom