• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
e-e Oh... you were one of THOSE people. -sips coffee while glaring at you- (XD)

I'm totally drawing that expression now. XD
Like @ShinyGirafarig said, only one of my 3 accounts was Fancy. I didn't have too big a problem on the 2 costume accounts. There were bad matches, bad teams, bad streaks, bad lag, etc, but overall it was probably 50/50 which at 8 points per win leads to fairly quick royalty generally speaking. Faster than the last 2 splatfests for sure. Fancy on the other hand, no lie, was 5 hours of slogging through loss after loss after loss dragging - no - being dragged by dead weight teams. I FINALLY found a team capable of consecutive wins - on my last 2 games :) We're talking 0/6, 0/5, 0/2 level teams. How Fancy won, I have no idea. I'm guessing they had a *LOT* of C-rank players who could win or something :P Between my wins on Costume on 2 accounts and my endless losses on Fancy on one I should have really catapulted Costume to a win! :)

On the subject of Japanese players, due to the hours I played, I found myself playing with them a lot. Not to mention their overwhelming numbers made them my teammates more often than not. They get very into it! I had quite a bit of fun. I know "Booyah!" isn't what they see on their own screen, but they were still very enthusiastic at the start of matches, when they saw me get kills, all that jazz. I wish I could read hiragana and katakana at least. As others said, I can't remember names I can't even read. ;;
On the up side when their names are profane we don't have to be aware of it ;)

See any names you recognize
I can't believe squigglesquiggle, swirlyloopything, and jaggedcharacter, as well as bunchofcharacters and 2character are all on the top 100. I played with them, probably maybe! :P

I do have a terrible habit of pretty much charging into Heavies and Hydras head-on, not expecting them to be able both to charge up and land enough shots before I take them out. But from personal experience with the Hydra, I really struggle to imagine it having clear advantages in TW, more so than the two lighter Splatlings.
Hydra can indeed be exceptional in TW, particularly Custom. I used Custom Hydra exclusively on my S-Patrick account last time and made it to royalty relatively easily :) This time I actually changed it up and used Heavy - I'm learning to really like heavy fir the first time, after applying some Hydra technique to it. It's starting to be a close call as to which I like more, which surprises me.

Most of this fest I had to use Sploosh/Jr. though, which saddened me. Other weapons just weren't cutting it. For all 3 accounts I had to be a fast moving killing machine AND be able to rapidly replenish turf due to all the chargers and blasters on my teams, and only the close range weapons were really cutting it :( I missed playing the exotic weapons more. But Hydra is truly fantastic in TW.

With the recent Hydra buff, that thing has a crazy kill speed at full charge. It splats about as fast as a sploosh at charger range, provided you charge up. Also, although the standard Hydra isn't very good at TW, the custom's sprinklers help a lot with inking turf.
Most of the teams I was up against were just moving too fast to be able to successfully build charges reliably without moving. Especially with Flounder in the mix where you really cant bunker down like hydras need to do. I'm surprised to see it at the top of this particular rotation, honestly. Without flounder it would have seemed a lot more obvious a choice. I find on that map it's imperative to be everywhere at once.

I was able to get close to the 1800s and started getting paired with them... The Westerners have an obvious difference than Japanese players. Japanese players were more likely to paint our base fully instead of rushing forward. Foreigners, however, were more likely to rush forward and attack. This usually put their teams at a disadvantage. There was less turf to move in and their "rushes" often failed miserably because the other team could see them coming. I think that largely, Turf War is underestimated in Western countries and people try to treat it far too much like Ranked.... It seems a lot of foreign players forget that painting the ground is kind of the entire point of Turf War. :p
It's funny, I used to play like that, patiently inking the base and moving forward, waaay back many patches ago. Then I started getting "zerg rushed" non stop and our team would get wiped so I started racing out to mid to take on the invaders en-route out of necessity and had to adapt to playing like that. I needed to be far more aggressive than the fairly "noob passive" base inker. Then I play this splatfest and run out and get splatted racing out to mid again and again only to look down and see my whole team waaay back in the base inking. It took a while to be able to adapt to that again, it was weird, it was like time rolled back to November.

But the odd thing is it's not a Japanese thing - I always play TW with mostly Japanese players. Somehow they just played "old style" this splatfest :P I missed old style TW, though the combat is still a little too intense in "ranked TW" to stick with it for hours and hours on end IMO. But yeah, especially on Fancy toward the end I saw players with ZERO base ink behind them, just streaked trails out to mid for the whole match. They didn't even want to TRY to ink things. That includes the Japanese players :)

So our splatfest team won, despite me winning once for every 5 losses. Glad i made my contribution to team Fancy!
Hooray for 5:1 loss ratios on Fancy somehow being victorious! ;) We were defeated all the way to victory! :P

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
On the subject of Japanese players, due to the hours I played, I found myself playing with them a lot. Not to mention their overwhelming numbers made them my teammates more often than not. They get very into it! I had quite a bit of fun. I know "Booyah!" isn't what they see on their own screen, but they were still very enthusiastic at the start of matches, when they saw me get kills, all that jazz. I wish I could read hiragana and katakana at least. As others said, I can't remember names I can't even read. ;;
Do you want me to link you to an easy guide to learn it (or put all the characters on here)?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Like @ShinyGirafarig said, only one of my 3 accounts was Fancy. I didn't have too big a problem on the 2 costume accounts. There were bad matches, bad teams, bad streaks, bad lag, etc, but overall it was probably 50/50 which at 8 points per win leads to fairly quick royalty generally speaking. Faster than the last 2 splatfests for sure. Fancy on the other hand, no lie, was 5 hours of slogging through loss after loss after loss dragging - no - being dragged by dead weight teams. I FINALLY found a team capable of consecutive wins - on my last 2 games :) We're talking 0/6, 0/5, 0/2 level teams. How Fancy won, I have no idea. I'm guessing they had a *LOT* of C-rank players who could win or something :p Between my wins on Costume on 2 accounts and my endless losses on Fancy on one I should have really catapulted Costume to a win! :)

On the up side when their names are profane we don't have to be aware of it ;)

I can't believe squigglesquiggle, swirlyloopything, and jaggedcharacter, as well as bunchofcharacters and 2character are all on the top 100. I played with them, probably maybe! :p

Hydra can indeed be exceptional in TW, particularly Custom. I used Custom Hydra exclusively on my S-Patrick account last time and made it to royalty relatively easily :) This time I actually changed it up and used Heavy - I'm learning to really like heavy fir the first time, after applying some Hydra technique to it. It's starting to be a close call as to which I like more, which surprises me.

Most of this fest I had to use Sploosh/Jr. though, which saddened me. Other weapons just weren't cutting it. For all 3 accounts I had to be a fast moving killing machine AND be able to rapidly replenish turf due to all the chargers and blasters on my teams, and only the close range weapons were really cutting it :( I missed playing the exotic weapons more. But Hydra is truly fantastic in TW.

Most of the teams I was up against were just moving too fast to be able to successfully build charges reliably without moving. Especially with Flounder in the mix where you really cant bunker down like hydras need to do. I'm surprised to see it at the top of this particular rotation, honestly. Without flounder it would have seemed a lot more obvious a choice. I find on that map it's imperative to be everywhere at once.

It's funny, I used to play like that, patiently inking the base and moving forward, waaay back many patches ago. Then I started getting "zerg rushed" non stop and our team would get wiped so I started racing out to mid to take on the invaders en-route out of necessity and had to adapt to playing like that. I needed to be far more aggressive than the fairly "noob passive" base inker. Then I play this splatfest and run out and get splatted racing out to mid again and again only to look down and see my whole team waaay back in the base inking. It took a while to be able to adapt to that again, it was weird, it was like time rolled back to November.

But the odd thing is it's not a Japanese thing - I always play TW with mostly Japanese players. Somehow they just played "old style" this splatfest :p I missed old style TW, though the combat is still a little too intense in "ranked TW" to stick with it for hours and hours on end IMO. But yeah, especially on Fancy toward the end I saw players with ZERO base ink behind them, just streaked trails out to mid for the whole match. They didn't even want to TRY to ink things. That includes the Japanese players :)

Hooray for 5:1 loss ratios on Fancy somehow being victorious! ;) We were defeated all the way to victory! :p
So the lesson is to not rely on personal anecdotes for who will win? Sometimes I browsed Miiverse during the Splatfest out of boredom and there were Team Costume people saying they also struggled. And there were stories on reddit where Team Fancy members mentioned they felt they did very well.

I remember the reason for not inkling the base at the start of the match is if you get splatted, you can quickly start building up the special after respawn by the base. Thanks to that strategy, I had a match as a Team Burgers member where I was splatted in the 20 or so seconds and because I have a build made for getting specials quickly, I was able to launch an Inkstrike at the last second giving us the victory for an actual evenly matched Team Burger vs Team Pizza round.

Award

So the lesson is to not rely on personal anecdotes for who will win? Sometimes I browsed Miiverse during the Splatfest out of boredom and there were Team Costume people saying they also struggled. And there were stories on reddit where Team Fancy members mentioned they felt they did very well.
Yeah....my guess is two fold as to what happens. First guess is that now that it's split by ranks, we don't know which percentage of players on a given team is in which ranks. So it could be that S rank was awful on Fancy because only terrible S's signed up for fancy, but B could have been a breeze because the good B's chose Fancy, and if Fancy had a lot more B's than it had S's it would end up winning more overall matches despite the fact that it's S tier players walk in straight lines directly into hydras :P Second guess is Fancy was SO good that everyone made it royalty fast and was just screwing around with weapons they suck at. BUT most of these people were not royalty....so I'd think even if they were playing alt's they'd be playing for real to get their snails. But I'd say there's zero way to tell what team is winning.

Same here. Mine was more like Winlosslosswinlosswinwinlosssssss
Sounds more like my Costume experience. More like winwinlosslosslosslosslosslosswinwinwinlosslossloswinloss. FANCY on the other hand was LOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSLOOOSSSLOOOOOOOSSSSSSS(x8)winLOOOOOOOOOSSSSSLOSSSSSSLOSSS(x10) ;)

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I remember the reason for not inkling the base at the start of the match is if you get splatted, you can quickly start building up the special after respawn by the base. Thanks to that strategy, I had a match as a Team Burgers member where I was splatted in the 20 or so seconds and because I have a build made for getting specials quickly, I was able to launch an Inkstrike at the last second giving us the victory for an actual evenly matched Team Burger vs Team Pizza round.
...that's why we do it? I always assumed the reasoning for the early rush was that, if the push was successful, it allowed you a chance to get to spawncamping early on. It's a risky strategy, considering that if it fails then your team will be the one to suffer instead, but when it works it's bloody effective. (I say this having been on all sides of it.)

I don't quite like it (if only because the matches can get boring if it happens all the time), but I've accepted that it's become a necessary part of winning a Turf War.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I understand the whole leaving the base to leave for people who get splatted to ink up. The only problem with that is, not all people when they respawn will ink the base. Either they'll leave through one of the already inked paths, or they'll super jump back to where they originally were. Which leaves you screwed anyway.

Annoying strat, but it's the norm. I usually chill back at base and ink/protect anyway so eh.

Award

I understand the whole leaving the base to leave for people who get splatted to ink up. The only problem with that is, not all people when they respawn will ink the base. Either they'll leave through one of the already inked paths, or they'll super jump back to where they originally were. Which leaves you screwed anyway.

Annoying strat, but it's the norm. I usually chill back at base and ink/protect anyway so eh.
And of course it depends on map - Walleye Warehouse has nothing to ink at the base save for the trails to mid. Everything else is in mid so it's a slaughter at all times. Flounder is weird - MOST of the map is the bases and there's hardly any mid at all so it's all about the base raids and inking seems to always come last and whoever hits the hardest fastest tends to win. Unless they lose. And Anchov.....we seem to just let the other team ink our base for us most of the time ;)

dapperlace

Pro Squid
Do you want me to link you to an easy guide to learn it (or put all the characters on here)?
I have a number of guides, and had even started memorizing quite a few of them, but for some reason whenever I pick it back up again, my life gets really busy, haha. ;; One of these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom