• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Splatfest: Fancy Party vs. Costume Party

Which team are you?

• Team Fancy Party!

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Team Costume Party!

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • I don't know yet, but I'll pick one sometime

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • I'm not participating in this Splatfest.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
definitely those, especially "high situational awareness". i'd also say that the japanese players are much more likely to ink the base [depending on weapon, of course] than american players, who tend to just rush in to the face of battle [and get splatted immediately, because they don't pay attention to their surroundings]. i hate playing charger before 8pm CST because i know nobody else will ink the base, until i matched up with primarily japanese players.

not to say that i'm better than those who rush in, i especially have that tunnel vision in tower control [i'm working on it!], but i've learned from japanese players to take that extra couple seconds to assess the situation before running in.

i have a good ping [rarely above 10], so i don't know specifically how a higher ping affects gameplay but i will say, american players also tend to disconnect more. but i'm more apt to blame that on our terrible ISPs [comcast is the woooorst] than conspiracy about nintendo's servers. most of the time. :)

i've had a few funny lag moments so far tonight that i recorded, i'll have to find the others later but here and here. love that lag!
Come across any Japanese teammates or opponents who seem to sort themselves out a few seconds after leaving spawn? Everyone knocks into each other at the start then someone inks left, someone else inks right, another inks near the base, and the last one scouts mid.

I'd like to play with more players from the Central and South America regions. I've only had a few chances to play with them and it felt very very different than what I've adjusted to with North American and Japanese players. Pretty fun shakeup.

Award

definitely those, especially "high situational awareness". i'd also say that the japanese players are much more likely to ink the base [depending on weapon, of course] than american players, who tend to just rush in to the face of battle [and get splatted immediately, because they don't pay attention to their surroundings]. i hate playing charger before 8pm CST because i know nobody else will ink the base, until i matched up with primarily japanese players.

not to say that i'm better than those who rush in, i especially have that tunnel vision in tower control [i'm working on it!], but i've learned from japanese players to take that extra couple seconds to assess the situation before running in.

i have a good ping [rarely above 10], so i don't know specifically how a higher ping affects gameplay but i will say, american players also tend to disconnect more. but i'm more apt to blame that on our terrible ISPs [comcast is the woooorst] than conspiracy about nintendo's servers. most of the time. :)

i've had a few funny lag moments so far tonight that i recorded, i'll have to find the others later but here and here. love that lag!
Pings under TEN?? You have freaking lan to an internet backbone :P My pings vary from 25-60 and are generally considered "good" in that range. My MINIMUM ping to Japan is 250, meaning the absolute BEST case scenario is I'm 1/4 sec behind them. Often I'm a half to 3/4 sec behind when looking byond "perfect ping"

I'd say I relate to nobody inking the base, but I find things tend to get much WORSE after 8 CST or 9CST than better. Yeah, more JP players but things just get more brutal then and somehow my teams stay the same - could be lag related. Prime time and such...

Award

Come across any Japanese teammates or opponents who seem to sort themselves out a few seconds after leaving spawn? Everyone knocks into each other at the start then someone inks left, someone else inks right, another inks near the base, and the last one scouts mid.

I'd like to play with more players from the Central and South America regions. I've only had a few chances to play with them and it felt very very different than what I've adjusted to with North American and Japanese players. Pretty fun shakeup.
Err, you always play with Centra/South America - they're part of the NA region for Nintendo distribution purposes, as is much of Asia Pacific (found that out recently from a squidboards member there). "NA" basically means "everywhere but Europe, Middle East, Africa (NoE) and Japan (NCL.) - and whatever regions Nintendo Australia handles...maybe they actually handle Africa. Geographically most of the world is NoA territory. Time zones there might be shifted up to an hour or so from US times, but regardless, all our splatfests include that region :)

Squids log 3:

Still no signs of life in the servers, Ive been watching the squid sisters dance without stopping. The same music plays for hours on end, this is the worst thing that could happen at splatfest.
They updated the official status with Splatoon specifically down for "emergenc maintenance." Same as when it went down in Jan for the Japanese splatfest server crash.

SpacePumpkins

Inkling
NNID
SpacePumpkins
Dang, Any idea when the Servers will be back up? I've also noticed Miiverse posts in Splatoon are showing up but you can yeah them or anything and just plain being weird..

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Err, you always play with Centra/South America - they're part of the NA region for Nintendo distribution purposes, as is much of Asia Pacific (found that out recently from a squidboards member there). "NA" basically means "everywhere but Europe, Middle East, Africa (NoE) and Japan (NCL.) - and whatever regions Nintendo Australia handles...maybe they actually handle Africa. Geographically most of the world is NoA territory. Time zones there might be shifted up to an hour or so from US times, but regardless, all our splatfests include that region :)
That much I know, but I mean recognizably playing with them. Like having the majority of your lobbies fill up with Portuguese and Spanish nametags for hours on end rather than the stray one every once in a blue moon.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
The Japanese Twitter for Nintendo posted a small update around 20 minutes ago. Roughly, they said they had completed the work but were still waiting for the servers to recover. Hopefully that means the servers will be back online soon. :)

LoremIp5um

Full Squid
NNID
LoremIp5um
Urgh Japanese Splattershot Jr. users cheat, I swear.

They always manage to bubble up EXACTLY when I snipe, even when they're looking away, yet I always end up one frame too late...

The_Devious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
The_Devious97
Ugh. I keep timing out and can't even make it to fiend.

Last edited:

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I didn't do very well last night. A few good matches here and there, but otherwise I felt incompetent. Will try again another time. ( we actually have a day and a half now?)

LoremIp5um

Full Squid
NNID
LoremIp5um
Despite stomach pains and tiredness, I have fought for our glory and made it to Black Tie King on both my B+-rank alt and S-rank main! I've had my best ever Splatfests post-Splatfest Power update on both accounts, getting 1308 on my alt and 1634 on my main (peaking at 1664). Makes a change from breaking even or ending up in the 1500s... Hoping to make keep my streak going and get ten Splatfest victories out of ten I've competed in!

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Okay, this might be a little of a rant, but hear me out:
So, basically, worst splatfest of my life. For every match I won, I lost atleast six. The teams I got were incompetent, uncoordinated, and donk. So, basically your everyday TW team. But, combine this with the enemy being gods, and you've got yourself a hell of a splatfest. The only times I won, were like the times when I went 17/2, and EVEN THEN we barely won. Oh, got a triple? Well, let's have that one remaining tentatek slaughter your team! The only thing my team did was staying in the base and inking outside, helping the juniors on the other side get bubblers.
What could I do? Abbsolutely frippin nutthin. Whenever I tried to flank, go out or anything like that, I got instantly killed. What did my team do? Abbsolutely frippin nutthin. So, basically, AAAARGHH. I got to champion, and then i was like "Nope." Thanks, global matchmaking and splatfest power.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I really need to remember not to roll my slots to late. I always seem to play badly when I do since I have to roll abilities to actually help me while having to play better than anyone to compensate (which is always hit and miss from my experience).

so in essence: late slot rolling pre splatfest + pre splatfest tilt = Splatfest Tilt that will ruin your clothes

Pterk

Full Squid
NNID
YoloEric12
I wanna go with costume party because that's the team my heart desires But then again I literally hate the color orange so I think imma go fancy because my new name gonna be FancyShmancy, if u see me say hi on squid boards!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Wow - contrary, by the looks of it, to general experience, this has been my best Splatfest in a while! I'm not done with it yet (just reached Champion) but I've definitely won more than lost, presently at about 1620 (started at 1600). I've played averagely enough in most matches but I've been having lovely teams. On a couple of occasions, it took forever to find opponents and I've played my own team a lot, but not overwhelmingly so (I'm Black Tie/Fancy). I'm a big fan of the maps (heh, 'fan', Ancho-V) on rotation, and, all in all, it's proving a lovely SM practice session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom