• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Global Testfire Redux!

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Been peeking at some (European?) testfire videos... that player experience level difference... noob slaughter can be an understatement.

I was amused at first. Now I'm feeling slightly dirty. May eventually wean towards being upset.

Quibblingsun86

Full Squid
NNID
Quibblingsun86
I most likely won't take part in the testfire cause my Wii U has a very low amount of memory, but if I could get it it would be nice to sneak around and watch the noobs waddle around!

Don't wreck the baby squids!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I didn't participate... I'm all for trashing noobs, but I'd rather wait until they've at least bought the game.
Cause it's more enjoyable to ruin an experience that someone's actually paid money for, right?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Been peeking at some (European?) testfire videos... that player experience level difference... noob slaughter can be an understatement.

I was amused at first. Now I'm feeling slightly dirty. May eventually wean towards being upset.
The baby squids... ;~; It ain't right.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
;~; I can't bear to watch their ink fly....... We need to stop those evil tryhards!!!!
I considered playing the testfire and have fun pretending to be a new player, and should I encounter an enemy who is clearly a veteran, I would target them, or if they are on my team hide in a corner and give the other team a better chance of a fair match.

Though now, I think it's just best to sit it out. Hopefully some of the new players will still want the game after this. :/

Quibblingsun86

Full Squid
NNID
Quibblingsun86
I considered playing the testfire and have fun pretending to be a new player, and should I encounter an enemy who is clearly a veteran, I would target them, or if they are on my team hide in a corner and give the other team a better chance of a fair match.

Though now, I think it's just best to sit it out. Hopefully some of the new players will still want the game after this. :/
Yeah, I was considering pretending to be a noob and defending the squid babies from veteran harm as well, but my Wii u probably won't have enough storage to download it anyway

I hope they will too :/

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
Thought about joining to see how many kills I can get but decided to play Bayonetta instead.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
I'm left a tad confused myself. The North America unit info says this weekend, but from what I've been seeing from the videos on youtube, Europe plays whenever. (*sigh* Somedays I wished I didn't stop learning German, Spanish, Italian, and everything else I picked up. Many things would be so much easier now.)

Can someone confirm or clarify this for me?

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I'm left a tad confused myself. The North America unit info says this weekend, but from what I've been seeing from the videos on youtube, Europe plays whenever. (*sigh* Somedays I wished I didn't stop learning German, Spanish, Italian, and everything else I picked up. Many things would be so much easier now.)

Can someone confirm or clarify this for me?
Far as I know, the US Testfire is the 25-28 from 5-8 EST (I think, don't trust me on the time)

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I don't really understand why veterans that own teh game already would ruin the experience for new players by slaughtering them. You already bought the game. Keep yourselves there. Slaughtering noob players isn't going to encourage anyone from the testfire to join, especially if they get frustrated with being targeted because they're new.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
Jeez, really?
what a way to drive people off from actually getting the game, like yeah, the people who own the game will be this way but let them have their first experience.
they'll learn over time when they have it. (at least towards those who wanna crash the 'party'- not a literal squid party, mind you..)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Yep. I also saw another video of an octoling in a testfire but can't find it again. But one does show up in Swimmingbird's most recent video wielding a Krak-On Roller and geared with a labcoat and sashimono (flag).

Xehias

Pro Squid
NNID
Xehias
I went ahead and played a couple of Testfire rounds the other day. Of course, I didn’t slaughter the newbies. I played as sloppily as possible, going so far as to just sit somewhere high up watching what was going on and not doing anything for more than half the match. Most beginners don’t know how to climb up walls, apparently, so I was pretty safe. Wrote down some of the highlights:
  • I stood in front of a Roller who was just standing there in humanoid form, doing nothing. They threw a Suction Bomb at me and then walked away.
  • In Walleye, from the top of the mid crates, I shot a single bullet at a Splattershot Jr. who was standing nearby. They kept standing there for a few seconds before finally aiming at me and shooting. I was able to run away pretty easily.
  • From the same place, I did the exact same thing to a Roller who had pulled out their Killer Wail. They very slowly turned in my direction and set off the Killer Wail right at me. Again, I was able to flee no problem.
  • I witnessed a Splattershot Jr. run up the tarp in Walleye, all the while dutifully shooting at the ground.
  • Saw a teammate Super Jump to my ally and then proceed to just walk around shooting at the ground.
  • I saw a Roller spamming squid form in enemy ink. I don’t think they were squidbagging or partying, they genuinely didn’t know how to get out of their predicament. I stood right in front of them, at which point they could have splatted me very easily, and they ignored me and rolled away.
  • I saw someone swim straight toward a rolling Roller (in plain sight), with the outcome you would expect.
  • I watched a Roller teammate follow an enemy Roller all the way to our spawn. Once the enemy Roller hit the spawn, they obviously bounced off of it and somehow ended up trading with my ally.
  • I rolled right behind an enemy Roller in Saltspray Rig’s bottom area, stopping when they stopped (oftentimes getting stuck in ink with their tank empty). At no point did they try to splat me.
  • Had a couple of mutual Roller squishings.
  • So, so many Rollers needlessly painting over their own ink.
  • Had some fun jumping over Rollers as well. I remember back during the days of the Global Testfire; people kept saying Rollers were OP, and I was mindblown when I read you could just jump over them.
  • A Charger had seen me on the crates in Walleye, and they tried really hard to splat me, but I kept jumping back and forth between the two highest crates. This went on for at least half a minute.
  • I came across a couple of people who obviously had played the game before and were slaughtering newbies, including someone who splatted me and then proceeded to squidbag. I splatted them, squidbagged back, and unfortunately got caught by another opponent (and then I got booted from the game, but that’s another story).
  • For the most part, I didn’t get more than one or two splats per game, and if I did it was only to defend myself or to take down newbie slaughterers.
  • I had fun glitching Splat Bombs on the left crates of Walleye when I was using the Splat Charger. Nobody else cared about it though. :( And I did try to draw hearts, but they kept getting inked over.
  • I had a couple of moments where muscle memory took over and I splatted people without meaning to. One time I rolled a Splat Bomb at someone and immediately regretted it. With the Charger, I panicked and accidentally splatted someone who was coming after me instead of running away.
  • Overall, the matches didn’t seem to sway in the opponents’ favor when I did nothing, for some reason. There were a lot of disconnects, of course, so that might have been why.
Needless to say, I was laughing pretty hard at a couple of these. I dunno if the Testfire is still on, but I encourage you to check it out if you can. It’s pretty fun to see how far people have come since Splatoon’s beginnings.

Also, another thing of note: they didn’t bother updating the Testfire with the most recent patches, so KIller Wails sport their old look and you can throw four Burst Bombs per full tank again.
When I started my second alt, I developed a brilliant method to do just that with the Jr.: play facing a mirror! Only works if you have a suitable reflective surface, of course, but it's really convincing. The main problem was that I couldn't help still using good bomb-throwing technique due to muscle memory...
I don’t get what you mean by using a mirror. :oops: Did you just reflect the TV screen into it and play while looking at it to add some extra challenge?

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
I went ahead and played a couple of Testfire rounds the other day. Of course, I didn’t slaughter the newbies. I played as sloppily as possible, going so far as to just sit somewhere high up watching what was going on and not doing anything for more than half the match. Most beginners don’t know how to climb up walls, apparently, so I was pretty safe. Wrote down some of the highlights:
  • I stood in front of a Roller who was just standing there in humanoid form, doing nothing. They threw a Suction Bomb at me and then walked away.
  • In Walleye, from the top of the mid crates, I shot a single bullet at a Splattershot Jr. who was standing nearby. They kept standing there for a few seconds before finally aiming at me and shooting. I was able to run away pretty easily.
  • From the same place, I did the exact same thing to a Roller who had pulled out their Killer Wail. They very slowly turned in my direction and set off the Killer Wail right at me. Again, I was able to flee no problem.
  • I witnessed a Splattershot Jr. run up the tarp in Walleye, all the while dutifully shooting at the ground.
  • Saw a teammate Super Jump to my ally and then proceed to just walk around shooting at the ground.
  • I saw a Roller spamming squid form in enemy ink. I don’t think they were squidbagging or partying, they genuinely didn’t know how to get out of their predicament. I stood right in front of them, at which point they could have splatted me very easily, and they ignored me and rolled away.
  • I saw someone swim straight toward a rolling Roller (in plain sight), with the outcome you would expect.
  • I watched a Roller teammate follow an enemy Roller all the way to our spawn. Once the enemy Roller hit the spawn, they obviously bounced off of it and somehow ended up trading with my ally.
  • I rolled right behind an enemy Roller in Saltspray Rig’s bottom area, stopping when they stopped (oftentimes getting stuck in ink with their tank empty). At no point did they try to splat me.
  • Had a couple of mutual Roller squishings.
  • So, so many Rollers needlessly painting over their own ink.
  • Had some fun jumping over Rollers as well. I remember back during the days of the Global Testfire; people kept saying Rollers were OP, and I was mindblown when I read you could just jump over them.
  • A Charger had seen me on the crates in Walleye, and they tried really hard to splat me, but I kept jumping back and forth between the two highest crates. This went on for at least half a minute.
  • I came across a couple of people who obviously had played the game before and were slaughtering newbies, including someone who splatted me and then proceeded to squidbag. I splatted them, squidbagged back, and unfortunately got caught by another opponent (and then I got booted from the game, but that’s another story).
  • For the most part, I didn’t get more than one or two splats per game, and if I did it was only to defend myself or to take down newbie slaughterers.
  • I had fun glitching Splat Bombs on the left crates of Walleye when I was using the Splat Charger. Nobody else cared about it though. :( And I did try to draw hearts, but they kept getting inked over.
  • I had a couple of moments where muscle memory took over and I splatted people without meaning to. One time I rolled a Splat Bomb at someone and immediately regretted it. With the Charger, I panicked and accidentally splatted someone who was coming after me instead of running away.
  • Overall, the matches didn’t seem to sway in the opponents’ favor when I did nothing, for some reason. There were a lot of disconnects, of course, so that might have been why.
Needless to say, I was laughing pretty hard at a couple of these. I dunno if the Testfire is still on, but I encourage you to check it out if you can. It’s pretty fun to see how far people have come since Splatoon’s beginnings.

Also, another thing of note: they didn’t bother updating the Testfire with the most recent patches, so KIller Wails sport their old look and you can throw four Burst Bombs per full tank again.

I don’t get what you mean by using a mirror. :oops: Did you just reflect the TV screen into it and play while looking at it to add some extra challenge?
Oh this is sooo rich. Thanks for the update! Ahhh, the good ol' days when the enemy has no idea what the h@!! they are doing. I do miss that... Thanks for not offing the noobs in high volumes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom