Got any headcanons?

kinetik07

Senior Squid
Every squid kid is afraid of rain

Captain Cuttlefish lives in the sewers because he gets turned away from all the vendors for being too 'unfresh'

[not related to first]The whole game is underwater and 'underwater' is actually above water(Judd is the ghost of a drowned cat)

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
Inklings "die" when they hit the water in Triggerfish, right?

That's because they're not really squid at all, but alien lifeforms that find H2O toxic.

Inklings are an invading alien race. The turf wars are an offensive terraforming campaign spearheaded by rival Inkling clans. The squidkids that we play are genetically engineered transitional species meant to ready the planet for the true brood--the Octarians are nothing more than the failures of that project with most of them requiring mechanical assistance just to get by, and fighting back against their precursors for their right to live. The octogirls are their greatest retort to their masters' abandonment.

And you killed them all.

You bastards.

KingOfStickers

Inkling
There are some inklings who actually HAVE gangster-like turfs. But instead of outright violence, the kid/squids (WHATEVER) bet the other team on numerous challenges. Such as climbing an incredibly high tower in squid form (then use ink to get back down). Or sometimes (which is more prohibited by adults) a simple arcade game challenge to see who gets the highest score. The gang thing is all in fun and games though.
You know when an inkling dies and you see a little thing come out of them? I believe that is there soul. So when the soul finds a way back, it reincarnates. Sometimes the soul decides to move on though, so suicide is kind of common in inkling society...
As a baby, Inklings can only choose from black, to white ink. Callie and Marie choose these pigments to relate to their younger audiences (based off of an existing headcanon).
(based off of an existing headcanon, and this is my personal favorite one) The walking sticks that Cpn Cuttle has is actually a form of a water pump. Use likely for close combat purposes and long ranged shooting. I saw this really cool theory on tumblr and I hope they add it as some sort of easter egg!!!

Smashwidget

Full Squid
NNID
Smashwidget
There are some inklings who actually HAVE gangster-like turfs. But instead of outright violence, the kid/squids (WHATEVER) bet the other team on numerous challenges. Such as climbing an incredibly high tower in squid form (then use ink to get back down).
And Spyke judges all of the "underbelly" turf challenges.

For my own headcanons, I think that Inkling society has advanced to a point where death is meaningless, or at least death in combat, thanks to the respawn points.
This explains why the actual war appears to have so many similarities to the "for sport" Turf Wars.
Turf Wars are more or less organized and treated the same as American football is treated in America.
Inkling ink is extremely toxic to anything that isn't an Inkling of the same color, hence why the Octolings can be splatted.
Octolings either don't have the energy or the tech to be able to respawn, and this one of the reasons they wanted to steal the Zapfish.

Banshee

Full Squid
NNID
Laddy-Daddy
-Inklings cannot in fact change their ink color, and those who are an uncommon color usually can't participate in turf wars for obvious reasons. if they want to participate, they have to have friends prep a bunch of ink for them, and playing the game just becomes a hassle from then on.

-Octolings have superior strength and are highly aggressive(as was stated in one of the sunken scrolls) so if any conflict arises i headcanon that they usually duke it out with fists rather than ink until one of the higher ups puts a stop to it

-Young Inklings are actually fully functional and capable of sentient thought and feeling, they just look weird

-Inkling eggs take a month or two to develop, and after being laid will hatch after about three more months. They're aquatic so they need to be in tanks otherwise they'll dry out. They also look much like normal squid eggs, only one capsule usually holds one baby.

-Octo society is actually quite vast, though the population numbers are a little thin. Those skyscrapers and huge bridges aren't for nothing after all.

i have a couple others related to reproduction but i won't put em here. will probably add to as more come to me

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
Inklings are genderfluid
sign me the **** up good **** go౦ԁ **** thats ✔ some goodshit rightth ere right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self i say so thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ Good ****

Oh well, back on topic:
Inklings found a time capsule from the 1990's, which explains the aestethics and technology in the game.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Hero Mode levels, or the underground Octarian domes are actually built using the relics of human civilization.
Octarians just kind of dug it up when they went underground, then mashed it together to make obstacles and platforms, and that's how you get areas with a bunch of random traffic lights strung around.

(based off of an existing headcanon, and this is my personal favorite one) The walking sticks that Cpn Cuttle has is actually a form of a water pump. Use likely for close combat purposes and long ranged shooting. I saw this really cool theory on tumblr and I hope they add it as some sort of easter egg!!!
Oh! I noticed the same pump in one of the sunken scrolls too! I really like this head canon! :0

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Hmm...

-Sports teams always change their colors every game. Why else do we have American football and baseball (the Urchins jersey, not the three star one) gear that is available in multiple colors? :P

-Inklings can "self-splat" in water as a failsafe maneuver. This also goes for "disconnecting" inklings, who visually vanish in a similar way; they respawn outside the turf war event.

- Getting splatted doesn't hurt much. If it did, turf wars wouldn't be popular! :P

That's all I got for now.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
Cuttlefish found a human era printer that was backed up with requests - every month he hits print and thats how the Splatfests are decided.
(really, its a candle-lit, dusty printer that makes a lot of noise).

subata

Full Squid
NNID
cyradius
Cuttlefish found a human era printer that was backed up with requests - every month he hits print and thats how the Splatfests are decided.
(really, its a candle-lit, dusty printer that makes a lot of noise).
when i first saw it, i thought it was a phone with a large back-log of messages.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
when i first saw it, i thought it was a phone with a large back-log of messages.
aha i didnt know what it was at first but when i realised it was a printer, i lost it.
The entire Splatfest announcement - its slowly printing out the pictures :P

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
Headcanons:

-Inklings live a really long time which is why Captain Cuttlefish is over a 100 yet can still walk relatively easily. The Inklings grow up differently then humans because they are squid creatures and they live a long time. So age 14 for them is a little younger then age 14 for us.

-The Inklings are literally made of Ink. That is why they dissolve in water.

-The Inklings, being part squid, are constantly creating ink. This is why your ink refills even when you are doing absolutely nothing.

-Inkopolis isn't a city the Inklings made based off of Tokyo; it IS Tokyo.

-I don't even think it is a question that Callie and Marie are Agents 1 and 2.

-The Inklings are so obsessed with being fresh they they have evolved so that they can change their gender, skin color, eye color, and hair color at will!

That's all for now. ;)

くコ:彡 - ROXY

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
um, I'll give it a shot! Inklings can't get tattoos, the ink in a tattoo gun will make them pop xD

KingOfStickers

Inkling
If you were a kid living in the splatooniverse, then from your POV, the equivalent to hacking would be changing you ink color to "unacceptable" colors. Such as white, red, brown, black, or any others. It is only acceptable to those who are well known.
Anemones are highly aggressive, and the clown fishes are there to "keep them in check". Also their hair are highly poisonous (and they use fish mucus as if it were shampoo to keep others from touching it). if you were a squid from a POV, then the launchpads actually give you enough ink to fly towards your destination. A squid is also far sighted, so the ink that is filled with them works well. So the reason why squids cant just fly to their relatives is because they don't have a good pin point sense. This is also the reason why Cpn cuttle isn't allowed in turf wars anymore.
Waiting for more challengers in a turf war is the equivalent to just waiting. Basically, the huge tower that leads you to stages actually open up "ink tube". Where a kid can turn into a squid and swim in small tube, leading to a safe zone.
The reason why the ink turns into nothing when spread, is because of Judds analytical powers (also, his line of species and make existing things appear and disappear as well). He stresses too much on simply cleaning ink. So when your ink turns into nothing, that's just his power, which has took control over a single area, effects your weapon.
Other creatures do in fact go to turf wars. However it is not really prohibited because they don't have the same powers as squids do. (But they do have an alt form, such as Sheldon when he shrinks into his shell and p up when you zoom into his store.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia

Like it's not even debatable to me at this point, its pretty much canon.

Also SpykexTrans!Callie OTP.

Headcanons:
-I don't even think it is a question that Callie and Marie are Agents 1 and 2.
That's not headcanon thats actually canon. Callie is Cap Cuttlefish's granddaughter. There is more back story if you beat DJ Octavio with amiibo they say it. They only strongly suggest in main version.

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
My headcanons are these:
  • Turf wars used to be for holy rituals not unlike Mesoamerican court ball, which explains Sunken Scroll 4. Since Judd was present and acting as a judge all those years ago, he may have also been revered as a god of some sort, at least until people became more secular.
  • For that matter, there used to be other turf war judges back then. However, they were prone to corruption and bias to the point where turf wars were once really decided by who the judge favored more. After the Great Turf War, however, Judd decided to step in and reform the system. Now he alone handles all turf war events, a task made easier with the invention of surveillance systems.
  • Squids are allowed to participate in turf wars once they mature and take control of their squid form, roughly around the age of 14. Also, there are only three adults present in the Inkopolis plaza, not counting the unseen staff and organizers of the event. So I guess it would make sense that 14 years would be a coming of age similar to the Latin American Quinceañera; parents who have raised their kids well can trust them to manage their own lives afterwards.
  • Once a few Inklings get enough experience in turf wars, they can not only participate in ranked battles but also band together to form a proper splatoon. The members usually have to get some paperwork done first, but as long as they stick together they're entitled to greater publicity. That's how the Squid Squad got their start. Though they had to replace one guy when he walked out on them...
  • Squidforce, being the company who actually organizes the turf wars and Splatfests, is one of the most prominent corporations in the world. For all intents and purposes they're the Inkling equivalent of a mix of Nintendo, Google, and Old Navy. Also, their CEO is Inkling Mario.
  • While several other companies pitch in their sponsorships for turf wars, only the clothing brands stick out among the youth's minds. Thus, their names are "translated" for us instead of the weapon manufacturers'; The Ammo Knights played a significant role in winning the Great Turf War, so they're the exception to that rule.
  • Finally, there are other lands outside the country where Inkopolis is located and they have their own takes on turf wars. For example, Architeuthia (the Inkling version of America) factors splats into the final score for each team while Inkopolis does not. Of course, this is veering into fanon world-building so that will be the extent of this headcanon.

Last edited:

dogfood

Inkling
NNID
Aortic
Inklings are made of watercolor paints, and that's why water dissolves them.

They take baths with oil instead of water.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Headcanons:

-Inklings live a really long time which is why Captain Cuttlefish is over a 100 yet can still walk relatively easily. The Inklings grow up differently then humans because they are squid creatures and they live a long time. So age 14 for them is a little younger then age 14 for us.

Actually, I once saw on ESPN footage of a 100 year-old participating in a marathon, no chair and no cane. Yup, that happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom