Hangsquid!

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
You wanna do a word?
…Does that count as a mistake?
Yep; I see that you added to the mistake count, which is correct, but it's also handy just to write down the words alongside the wrong letters.
Sorry! Got distracted by the real world
Oh, no worries; my expressive post was implying that I was nonplussed by Dual's brash guessing.
Hyperbatic, which means inverted.
No, see, if you have to say what the word means, you clearly don't believe that it's correct! And... it looks like this word was last seen in a 1913 dictionary. Well done?

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
You wanna do a word?

Yep; I see that you added to the mistake count, which is correct, but it's also handy just to write down the words alongside the wrong letters.

Oh, no worries; my expressive post was implying that I was nonplussed by Dual's brash guessing.

No, see, if you have to say what the word means, you clearly don't believe that it's correct! And... it looks like this word was last seen in a 1913 dictionary. Well done?
Doing World History right now, and I can understand why that word would confuse you, I had to look it up for homework too. I see your logic there too, but I was doing it for you guys not Ginger in case you didn't know it. And you guys can choose the word since I kind of stole from you since I haven't been here for a while.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
You didn't steal it at all, that was amazing. How are you able to know so many obscure words and match them to just a few letters? I'm very envious of that skill.

I guess I'll do a word.

_ _ _ _

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I'm always envious of anyone who gets to participate in spelling bees (caps?). I've always taken pride in my careful spelling yet never had the chance to show that off in competition. I guess they're just not common in the UK, but that's not to say that they don't occur at all.

I'll guess O if Dual's guess does not go through; no guess otherwise.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
I'm always envious of anyone who gets to participate in spelling bees (caps?). I've always taken pride in my careful spelling yet never had the chance to show that off in competition. I guess they're just not common in the UK, but that's not to say that they don't occur at all.

I'll guess O if Dual's guess does not go through; no guess otherwise.
If it's an event it doesn't really matter if it's caps or not unless it's really important. Usually though yes it probably is used more in the lower case.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
No correct guesses, then. And one fail. Perhaps there would have been one correct if you didn't make that guess conditional.

_ _ _ _ (0/4)

(Writing out wrong every time is redundant, so I'm going to stop doing that) E (1/10)

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Perhaps there would have been one correct if you didn't make that guess conditional.
Oh, I see now that I worded that terribly. What I meant was... if there is an E, I make no guess. If there isn't an E, I guess O. There was no E, so I did mean for my guess to be accepted under the circumstances.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Absolutely not.

Everyone could guess these:
If there's an A, I'll guess B
If there's a B, I'll guess C
If there's a C, I'll guess D
If there's a D, I'll guess E
If there's an E, I'll guess F
If there's an F, I'll guess G
If there's a G, I'll guess H
If there's an H, I'll guess I
If there's an I, I'll guess J
If there's a J, I'll guess K
If there's a K, I'll guess L
If there's an L, I'll guess M
If there's an M, I'll guess N
If there's an N, I'll guess O
If there's an O, I'll guess P
If there's a P, I'll guess Q
If there's a Q, I'll guess R
If there's an R, I'll guess S
If there's an S, I'll guess T
If there's a T, I'll guess U
If there's a U, I'll guess V
If there's a V, I'll guess W
If there's a W, I'll guess X
If there's an X, I'll guess Y
If there's a Y, I'll guess Z
If there's a Z, I'll guess A

And win very easily by guessing the letter before every letter that showed up in the wrong list, and gaining information but not a penalty when guessing incorrectly.

However, Scuttles made a fair offer;The E was confirmed incorrect with a penalty from your guess, and no information was gained about the O that he guessed.
(And it would have been fine even if I didn't misinterpret the statement.)

Oh, I see now that I worded that terribly. What I meant was... if there is an E, I make no guess. If there isn't an E, I guess O. There was no E, so I did mean for my guess to be accepted under the circumstances.
Oh. It was stated very clearly, I'm not sure how I missed that. I'll do it now. But it's incorrect, I made that remark to cause confusion and possibly make someone guess O.

_ _ _ _ (0/4)

E O (2/10)

Last edited:

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
But it's incorrect, I made that remark to cause confusion and possibly make someone guess O.
Yeah, I expected that but in interest of honesty wanted my guess to be taken anyway. To 'go through' could be interpreted as to be recognised as a guess at all, right or wrong. Oh, and I don't totally follow your logic - I think that we'd still get penalties via that method, although we'd pretty much have to try in order to lose.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
So say my word is Ice.

If there's an A, I'll guess B
No penalty (since a guess technically wasn't made), there's no A.
If there's a B, I'll guess C
No penalty, there's no B
If there's a C, I'll guess D
Penalty, I put D in the wrong list.
I'll guess C
_C_
If there's a D, I'll guess E
No penalty, there's no D
If there's an E, I'll guess F
Penalty, I put F in the wrong list.
I'll guess E
_CE
If there's an F, I'll guess G
No penalty, there's no F
If there's a G, I'll guess H
No penalty, there's no G
If there's an H, I'll guess I
No penalty, there's no H
If there's an I, I'll guess J
Penalty, I put J in the wrong list
I'll guess I
ICE

The people guessing could win with 3 penalties. This would work without any chance of failure on any word with less than 10 unique letters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom