Hardest Boss Salmonid to defeat?

the

Inkling Commander
I think for the most part it depends on ur weapon, but flyfish and steel eels are the most universally annoying to me.

Olly0014

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3755-4752-6987
I think for the most part it depends on ur weapon, but flyfish and steel eels are the most universally annoying to me.
Oh yeah, Flyfish are VERY annoying! If u miss it with your bombs you're basically dead

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
I'd probably have to say Steelheads, but it really depends on the weapon you got. Some just don't have the range needed to it, or is just hard to aim. I've also died from their bombs bumping me into the water before they even explode. Orz

Flyfish are a bit annoying too, mainly because you can only take one side out at a time, even if bombs are thrown in both buckets at the same time- at least to my knowledge. Plenty of times I've had teammates throw bombs in both sides and only one side goes down. Apparently, from reading the thread, you can take both sides out at once, but I've failed to ever seen it done in any of the matches I've been in. So I suppose it's a really small window that both bombs must be thrown. And when you get ready to throw a bomb, only to find out you don't have enough ink, and have to make a run for it.

Last edited:

Murr-m4n

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Murr-m4n
Deffo flyfish. And i dont know why but i have problems with steelheads too

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Flyfish. Think about it. It takes two bombs aimed almost perfectly in the wings. It's the only Salmonid that can target multiple squids at once, and if you make a mistake, you have to endure a barrage of missiles, then try again. It's a nightmare, hands down worst Salmon Run boss. Needs to be re-adjusted so only one can spawn at a time, because the moment you have 2, it's game over.

Drizzler and Steelhead get honorable mentions for being obnoxious and having small windows of weakness.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Personally speaking, Steelhead. If I can actually GET to the Flyfish I can down it no problem, but landing hits in the small window the Steelhead allows can be excruciating if you don't have reach. Everything else can be handled as long as the situation doesn't get out of control (which it does).

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Personally speaking, Steelhead. If I can actually GET to the Flyfish I can down it no problem, but landing hits in the small window the Steelhead allows can be excruciating if you don't have reach. Everything else can be handled as long as the situation doesn't get out of control (which it does).
I find myself saying this a lot. "you know, if this situation wasnt so crazy, we could've totally handled it better!" but then i realize Salmon Run Profreshional is always crazy. ;~;

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
My thought would be Stingers, if you ignore it for one second, the next you'll find another one popping up.

If you are blocked by other bosses, then you're screwed 6 ways from Sunday.

Steelhead is okay for me, if everyone knows to attack at the same time. And if I have the Gatling or Charger I aim above the 2nd opening that's where the Bomb will be.

What I hate the most about Flyfish is people throw bombs into the same wing!! I mean, come on, if I stand to your right, then you should aim for your left!

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Flyfish. Think about it. It takes two bombs aimed almost perfectly in the wings. It's the only Salmonid that can target multiple squids at once, and if you make a mistake, you have to endure a barrage of missiles, then try again. It's a nightmare, hands down worst Salmon Run boss. Needs to be re-adjusted so only one can spawn at a time, because the moment you have 2, it's game over.

Drizzler and Steelhead get honorable mentions for being obnoxious and having small windows of weakness.
I honestly feel the same way on the Flyfish, the window to take down a Flyfish alone is very small (after you throw you bomb you must submerge to recharge your ink fast enough to quickly throw another one before it's too late, and you don't want to be bugged by the other enemies while doing this) and the constant harassment from the missiles can be very problematic and I do agree that if there's more then one alive at once it's pretty much downhill from there (a lot of my failed runs happen because of this or to many Steelheads/Stingers).

As for honorable mentions, it would be the Stinger and the Steelhead (as I mentioned earlier).

Steelheads are due to reasons that others already mentioned. If you don't have focus fire from your teammates, or a Splatling, or a Charger it takes forever to take these guys down, and the longer it takes to take down a Steelhead the more time the game has to spawn more bosses and on the higher levels the number of bosses can quickly get out of hand just because you took too long to take down a Steelhead.

As for Stingers, it's mostly due to their aimbot accuracy with their Stingray and the fact that they are often in the backlines behind a wall of the other salmon mobs, which make it sometimes difficult to get to them and if to many spawn at once it's usually downhill from there (much like with the Flyfish). It seems like sniper like characters always seem to give me trouble, no matter what shooter game I play. :(

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
For me, most bosses are not a problem to battle on their own. It's which ones are absolutely the worst to fight when dealing with other bosses and normal enemies. For me, it's the Flyfish. Every other person who talked about them here already said everything you could say about them. I get slightly angry and scared every time I see one appear. And if there are two on the field, I am almost ready to give up.

Though one I am starting to really dislike recently is the drizzler. The fact that it always targets the area around the basket, its little missile is only available to shoot out of the sky for a few seconds, and even if you kill it, its ink storm can still fall. And you waste precious time waiting for it to flip over, which is bad in SR when you need to get some eggs to a basket, or keep yourself from getting surrounded.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Steelheads are the hardest to defeat, hands-down, because of the tiny vulnerability window and hitbox. Completely impossible with a brush and all but impossible with a roller. Often pretty tough with a blaster or even dualies because of the likelihood they're surrounded by smallfry.

But they're not the most dangerous to deal with, since they move and attack so slowly. Stingers have an effective attack when they appear en masse and are tough to harvest the eggs from since they're always at the water's edge. Flyfish and Drizzlers aren't too bad on their own, but get dangerous fast if you don't deal with them quickly; I think my least favorite situation is when there's one or two of each on the map.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
For the hardest to defeat, I've always found Flyfishes to be the worst, as well as the most dangerous if left unchecked. They're the only boss that cannot be killed with conventional weapon fire, and unless they are the first thing to spawn, enemy densities tend to be to high to let one person deal with them. By contrast, while Steelheads have a narrower window to be killed, there's always at least one weapon in the comp that can deal with them well. (If not some kind of charger, then usually a Slosher or a Jet Squelcher). That said, they can be very dangerous if more than one is out, and the person who has their counter is tied up. As for what's just the most dangerous when a bunch of bosses are roaming around, Drizzlers, Flyfishes, Stingers, yadayadayada. Honestly I find Drizzlers to be the worst to deal with in groups, because they straight up cannot be killed by one person during their vulnerable period, they have too much health and nothing is strong enough outside of specials.

If we're counting night events too, Grillers are frequent run enders on any wave other than the first, especially at High Tide.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Steel Eels are annoying as hell, but I wouldn't say their difficulty lies in splatting 'em. Once you get to the lil' Salmonid pilot in the back it goes down pretty easily. It's just a matter of getting behind it that's so difficult. It moves erratically and hogs up entire pathways, and if you don't have any walls inked to escape to (and you likely won't), you'll have to risk going the long way around and deal with all the other fishy bastards at once. And God help you if/when two or more show up.

Now Flyfish are so much worse, simply because you can't damage it normally at all. Inevitably you'll never have enough ink to chuck a bomb at one of their missile silos, and even if you do your ink tank doesn't refill quickly enough to destroy the other one. Not to mention that said missiles start firing off everywhere as the waves progress, needlessly increasing the amount of crap you have to avoid. And God help you if/when two or more show up.

Special mention goes to the Stingers (you have to take the fight to them, risking the possibility of getting mobbed in the process) and the Umbrella dudes (they just don't die fast enough without a Splatling, and their Ink Storms serve only to cut off access to your escape routes).

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
I think grillers would be okay if only people knows not to run to their teammates but rather jump off the ledge and climb back up.

Steelheads are the hardest to defeat, hands-down, because of the tiny vulnerability window and hitbox. Completely impossible with a brush and all but impossible with a roller. Often pretty tough with a blaster or even dualies because of the likelihood they're surrounded by smallfry.

But they're not the most dangerous to deal with, since they move and attack so slowly. Stingers have an effective attack when they appear en masse and are tough to harvest the eggs from since they're always at the water's edge. Flyfish and Drizzlers aren't too bad on their own, but get dangerous fast if you don't deal with them quickly; I think my least favorite situation is when there's one or two of each on the map.
That's why if I'm using roller, I just roll in front of the Steelhead to kill mobs so my teammates could focus on firing.

Steel Eels are annoying as hell, but I wouldn't say their difficulty lies in splatting 'em. Once you get to the lil' Salmonid pilot in the back it goes down pretty easily. It's just a matter of getting behind it that's so difficult. It moves erratically and hogs up entire pathways, and if you don't have any walls inked to escape to (and you likely won't), you'll have to risk going the long way around and deal with all the other fishy bastards at once. And God help you if/when two or more show up.

Now Flyfish are so much worse, simply because you can't damage it normally at all. Inevitably you'll never have enough ink to chuck a bomb at one of their missile silos, and even if you do your ink tank doesn't refill quickly enough to destroy the other one. Not to mention that said missiles start firing off everywhere as the waves progress, needlessly increasing the amount of crap you have to avoid. And God help you if/when two or more show up.

Special mention goes to the Stingers (you have to take the fight to them, risking the possibility of getting mobbed in the process) and the Umbrella dudes (they just don't die fast enough without a Splatling, and their Ink Storms serve only to cut off access to your escape routes).
One thing I noticed is that Steel Eel have the same "invisible laser" the Grillers' has, if you figured out that it's not homing on to you, then you could just walk pass it with no problem.

What I do is I walk in front of it, move left then right, if it's head turns then I get the hell out of dodge.

Last edited:

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Flyfish by far, needs 2 bombs (which means 2 teammates need to spend alot of ink to quikly take it down which you want to do)
And its tenta missile attack is deadly especially when your dealing with other salmonids.

Steelheads depends, if you have a charger and to an extend blaster, they're nothing.
Have a brush, roller, tri slosher and you probably have a very hard time.
There weak point actually has pretty low HP, but its the short vulnerability window that makes it annoying to kill.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I think to me is the flying saucer that over hangs and steal the eggs. It isn't hard if you know what it 'does', but when you get newbie players who are too distracted firing the boxes out of the sky, then you have a problem. The round is rare, but it does pose a threat to people who are unsure what it does exactly.

Of course, when you have several bosses at once and nobody tempts to take out some of the major ones, then you have a problem.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
Since I have always played salmon run with at least one friend playing, the Fly Fish aren't too much of a problem, since my friend and I just take out both wings in a single go.

Worst boss for me is the Steelhead, those bastards fire off their annoying bombs way too quickly to get enough damage in, and sometimes you don't have enough range to reliably hit their tiny hit box.

Belial

Full Squid
Steel eel I also find troublesome if I don't have a charger on me. They're hard or impossible to hit in some circumstances and if my teammate with the right tool doesn't get him we're doomed. Plus on the peninsulas they cover so much ground so quickly.

However, I also have a hard time of the glow-fish levels in the upper ranks with the wrong weapons. >_< They can swarm you quickly if your 'mates decide to spread out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom