• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Has anyone else avoided a weapon like a plague?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Even though I've been playing this game series for 2 years, I've never touched the N-Zaps, the Aerosprays, or the splash-o-matic at all.

I just don't like the rapid fire rate and low damage of the weapons. Even though I've used the Sploosh a couple times.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Even though I've been playing this game series for 2 years, I've never touched the N-Zaps, the Aerosprays, or the splash-o-matic at all.

I just don't like the rapid fire rate and low damage of the weapons. Even though I've used the Sploosh a couple times.
I would've liked the N-Zap more if it had different specials. But.... Ink Armor? Nooooope.

Debbie

Senior Squid
NNID
MissRora
Blasters: They're great if you want to stick the barrel right into the opponent's mouth. Otherwise, you get outranged by rollers. If it shoots, it should out range a melee weapon. To do otherwise defies all logic to me.

Splattling: Needs time to charge up and can't store its charge while swimming like chargers can. To make matters worse, it makes you walk at the pace of an elderly snail.

Aerospray: I'm just tired of seeing it at this point.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Blasters: They're great if you want to stick the barrel right into the opponent's mouth. Otherwise, you get outranged by rollers. If it shoots, it should out range a melee weapon. To do otherwise defies all logic to me.
I do not know what you're talking about. Like at all. Even in a fair fight against rollers, the straight range on the blaster is much longer. Unless you're using Luna on the front lines (which you shouldn't) you should definitely be able to fight a roller comfortably.

Windows95

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4161-2129-8915
Splatlings. I just can't with them. I like to lay ambushes and sneak up on people for up-close and messy confrontation with a slosher or a brush, and now the brella... or keep my distance with a gal or blaster. I generally dislike too near and too far though, so I don't typically choose Rollers and Chargers, but I do occasionally use them to train for Salmon Run. Getting stuck with either three on Salmon Run Over-achiever round 3, man. I suck at it and feel bad for my teamies.

Sineater

Inkling
NNID
projectmisfit
Switch Friend Code
SW-1429-2905-7980
I've always been a heavy-suited guy in regards to gear, especially in RPGs and the like, but I don't like the blaster or sniper at all in this. I find the slosher, sploshomatic and roller quite fun though, as a new player.

Kisy

Inkling
NNID
Kisywisy
The Tri, because I'm really annoyed with how overpowered it is.

Also, the aerospray(s), which is strange because they were one of my mains in spl1. I'm just sick of seeing them. BRANCH OUT, SQEEPLE

Was excited about the gootoober, but it's awful. I also just can't get to grips with the eliter, which was another one of my mains. I've gone more for splatterscopes when I want to snipe, yet I hated them in spl1. Eliter was just superior in every way.

Oh and I'm maining the pro in some mode in spl2 but hated it in spl1!!

I FEEL LIKE MY WORLD HAS BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN!!

jt_1258

Inkling
I don't touch regular rifles(except aerospray), snipers, and gatling guns, I like fast weapons the best though I do mess around with the weapons I mentioned when I'm with friends and don't care about doing well, btw, 2 snipers is not the best idea in league battles >.<

IHaveAToaster

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4526-2274-0616
Most of the time, I avoid a specific weapon because I would rather wait for their alternative kits to be released; this is something I did in the original game and is also why I have avoided weapons such as the Mini Splatling, Dualie Squelchers and the Splattershot Pro.

The only two weapons I would never even think about using are the two weapons that caused me so much grief in Splatoon 1 - the Dynamo Roller and the E-Litre.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
The Tri, because I'm really annoyed with how overpowered it is.

Also, the aerospray(s), which is strange because they were one of my mains in spl1. I'm just sick of seeing them. BRANCH OUT, SQEEPLE

Was excited about the gootoober, but it's awful. I also just can't get to grips with the eliter, which was another one of my mains. I've gone more for splatterscopes when I want to snipe, yet I hated them in spl1. Eliter was just superior in every way.

Oh and I'm maining the pro in some mode in spl2 but hated it in spl1!!

I FEEL LIKE MY WORLD HAS BEEN TURNED UPSIDE DOWN!!
Yeah, the subtle changes add up. I'm finding that several of the weapons I didn't care for before (Tri-Slosher, Splattershot Pro, Octobrush) are working out pretty well for me now, and several of the kit changes are making me abandon or drastically alter my tactics with my old favorites (Slosher Deco, N-Zap '89, both .52's, Dual Squelcher). Haven't unlocked the Splash-O-Matic yet, although I'm cautiously optimistic, but the buff to the Rapid Blaster makes me pretty happy--I already liked it but needed a ton of Damage Up to make it work, and now it's a solid choice on its own.

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
No, not really and I don't advise anyone to do so. Avoiding a certain weapon or fearing it will only make it more difficult for you to handle. You'll have to learn to adapt to these weapons and find a way around them, but if you never deal with them you'll never improve. One situation like this was that of the Tri slosher. After awhile It just became a lot easier dealing with them.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
No, not really and I don't advise anyone to do so. Avoiding a certain weapon or fearing it will only make it more difficult for you to handle. You'll have to learn to adapt to these weapons and find a way around them, but if you never deal with them you'll never improve. One situation like this was that of the Tri slosher. After awhile It just became a lot easier dealing with them.
This is kinda incorrect. The way this game is, you can get a feel for a weapon on the firing range, and you're likely to fight any given weapon pretty often. Personally avoiding the usage of a given weapon doesn't hurt anybody.

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
This is kinda incorrect. The way this game is, you can get a feel for a weapon on the firing range, and you're likely to fight any given weapon pretty often. Personally avoiding the usage of a given weapon doesn't hurt anybody.
You can improve with dealing and using a weapon the more you encounter it or force yourself to use a weapon you're not exactly best with. Sure it may not hurt you, but the more you get a feel of the weapon the better it'll be for you to understand how other players might use it.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
Splattershots personally don't push my buttons because of the mess it makes.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You can improve with dealing and using a weapon the more you encounter it or force yourself to use a weapon you're not exactly best with. Sure it may not hurt you, but the more you get a feel of the weapon the better it'll be for you to understand how other players might use it.
Between the firing range and Recon mode, you don't need to go into actual combat to learn quite a bit about a weapon. For example, I'm not going to bungle about with an e-liter in turf when I can take it into all the stages to learn how exactly how far it can reach from various positions. Skill with a weapon and skill at countering it are very different things.

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
Between the firing range and Recon mode, you don't need to go into actual combat to learn quite a bit about a weapon. For example, I'm not going to bungle about with an e-liter in turf when I can take it into all the stages to learn how exactly how far it can reach from various positions. Skill with a weapon and skill at countering it are very different things.
I'm not saying you should deal with every single weapon. If a weapon is giving you problems though, you should find a way to deal with it. There's more to it than just distance of ink. And not every way of learning how to counter a weapon is going to work because persistent people will find ways to cover that counter right back. Sure it's easy to find weapons that can be direct counters to others, but learning how to use your main to go against anything is really becoming skillful.

Chancellor Woomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mixolydia98
Same. I never like to use those super popular/overused weapons that at least 70% of all players use.

I'm sad that the Aerospray MG is super popular now, because I used to use it in Ranked all the time. RGs used to be the popular ones, and...I dunno, it felt kind of cool to main the least-used Aerospray weapon.

(Even if it wasn't popular, I still wouldn't use it b/c I prefer the old Special-Sub combo).

Chancellor Woomy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mixolydia98
It's certainly overused in the game, but it's not overpowered. It just covers turf arguably the best in the game, but that's really all it can do. People saying its OP clearly don't realize its easy to just out range one. Just some advice, I would avoid bringing it to ranked as you climb up the ranks, as people will be using weapons that will easily beat the Aerospray.
Yeah- I'm getting tired of seeing Aerospray MGs left and right, but they're honestly not too hard to beat.

Curling Bomb Rushes, compared to other forms of Bomb Rushes, are actually kind of easy to avoid, plus I've managed to splat the Aerospray user plenty of times, while they were in the middle of a BM.

The Aerospray MG from the first game was better suited toward Ranked, I think: the Seekers made it very viable for stages like Walleye Warehouse and Port Mackerel. The AMG's sub was what I mainly focused on, as a weapon and means of travel.

Also, the Inkzooka was an excellent special for the AMG, what with the weapon's very short range. Perfect for taking out snipers.

I'm honestly surprised the MG wasn't as popular in Ranked in the first game- on good days, I could splat 10-15 people.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm not saying you should deal with every single weapon. If a weapon is giving you problems though, you should find a way to deal with it. There's more to it than just distance of ink. And not every way of learning how to counter a weapon is going to work because persistent people will find ways to cover that counter right back. Sure it's easy to find weapons that can be direct counters to others, but learning how to use your main to go against anything is really becoming skillful.
Can't argue with that. Although distance of ink is definitely something everyone should know to avoid "surprises", so many newbies fail to realize when a weapon outranges them and KABOOM.

RainbowOni

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-6643-4364-0032
Can't argue with that. Although distance of ink is definitely something everyone should know to avoid "surprises", so many newbies fail to realize when a weapon outranges them and KABOOM.
Not all long range weapons do the same amount of damage. I'm willing to take a hit or two from a Jet in close combat or my way towards them. I can't really do the same for most chargers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom