• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

have you ever met a splatoon fan irl?

neonscreenlight

Semi-Pro Squid
i met one during a music camp that everybody in my school's music department got to go to (i'm a band kid lol). we were sitting at a campfire outside and someone called the north star polaris and he went "like the salmon run stage ruins of ark polaris??!?!?" we are still friends

also there's one in my main friend group but i still haven't gotten to play with them because his switch is perpetually broken

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
well, i'm going to a convention this weekend, where the likelihood of running into a fan of anything in particular goes up a bit...

i have already met a couple, though:
  • i didn't get into splatoon until after i'd graduated college, but one of my friends from college had been a fan this whole time lol. they messaged me out of the blue the other day to ask if i wanted to play together a bit because we were switch friends and they noticed i'd been playing splatoon 3. i literally don't think i'd talked to this person since before i graduated (that's um... almost 2 years ago now, no i don't have a job in my field) so it was nice to catch up over splatoon
  • i work with kids roughly 7-9 years old which is technically slightly below the E10+ demographic but like some parents let their kids play worse, lol. unfortunately most kids only play roblox and fortnite. but i'm like somewhat conspicuously A Splatoon Fan at work - phone lockscreen from splatnet 3 (the clocks are unreliable so i have to check the time on my phone), stickers from the official splat3 sticker sheets all over my stuff, yknow? and exactly one kid, last year, noticed and went omg is that from splatoon???!? and we very briefly shared excitement over the recent-at-the-time side order announcement before i had to be the grown-up and steer us back to the tutoring session i was meant to be leading
  • during my brief sidestep into a career at walmart (don't work at walmart) i had one coworker who played splatoon. we had one conversation about my hopes to go into competitive & what weapons we use & etc etc. unfortunately she ended up kind of being an awful person but you can't win 'em all i guess

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
These are such good stories omg.

I don't have much other than that there is a person who works at the cat cafe an hour from here, and a couple of times I have gone there with visible splatoon accessories and they have commented on them very excitedly. They seem too shy to talk much more about it (which is fair because so am I lol) but like, maybe someday, hah.

There's also the one I met in-game first, friended, played with a bunch, eventually managed to exchange discords via name-changing shenanigans and found out we lived within 3 hours of each other and then met IRL, if that counts, lol.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
unfortunately everyone i know hates this game (they like hating on games they never played) so i have never played with another someone i already met (or anyone at all), but i have met someone that does actually play the game... somewhat

we had the same english class, worked on assignments together (i exploded malcom gladwell's house), turns out he likes the game. he only plays turf war and not that often but this still counts right??

Hokuto

Full Squid
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
One of my classmates liked Octo Expansion, but for some reason the prospect of talking to him about anything not directly related to that class scares me. One day, I went home early and someone asked me about my Big Man keychain as we boarded the bus. Never saw her again, though. Y'know, in class at that time on most days?

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
My main high school group of friends was formed around how much we enjoy Nintendo games so a handful of us happen to play Splatoon, and I've met a few Splatoon fans at my local Smash tournaments. Don't really get to play with either super often at this point but it is nice when I do get the chance.

BeckyXP

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her
Yeah it was at a best kept secrets store the lady was the cashier

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I've been to three local tournaments, so that counts.

Cephalobro

I was on a trip to Wyoming once and we had to stay in my mom's friend's apartment, in which there was a whole family living there. Their youngest member was playing Splatoon 1 while I played Splatoon 2 at the time. I let him watch me play a few rounds of Salmon Run as I explained the mode to him.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
I was on a trip to Wyoming once and we had to stay in my mom's friend's apartment, in which there was a whole family living there. Their youngest member was playing Splatoon 1 while I played Splatoon 2 at the time. I let him watch me play a few rounds of Salmon Run as I explained the mode to him.
what year was this?

sevenleaf

Pro Squid
Pronouns
they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-5819-4806-4093
post-con update:
  • i was searching for splatoon merch in the artist’s alley & got a few good finds, but one artist i bought a side order print from asked me if i’d gotten a chance to play it yet & we spent a minute talking about how far we’d gotten
  • i was cosplaying harmony part of friday & all of saturday and got stopped for a few pictures! all very sweet people but of note: the other harmony cosplayer who wanted a picture together (i didn’t get their info or anything 😭 if you cosplayed harmony aka paruko splatoon at anime boston ‘24 and took a selfie with another harmony on friday hmu)
  • also: the two OFF cosplayers who excitedly stopped me for a picture. i need to finally replay that game. For Them
  • i went to a kind of underwhelming general nintendo cosplay meetup/shoot and there was 1 other splatoon cosplayer there. who was like, a generic inkling (maybe an oc?). and i wanted to talk cosplay and maybe talk about the actual game but i was very awkward. lol
  • today before i left i was playing riichi mahjong with somebody in a team water shirt. so i went “hey, team water!” and we chatted for a bit before getting into the game
i expected to run into more splatoon fans LOL. i overestimate how popular this series is sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom