Having trouble in Rainmaker S, A in everything else... Help, please?

techton

Senior Squid
So now that I ranked up to S in rainmaker it seems to be even more brutal than A rank. Disconnects, lousy or clueless teammates, seeing the same op weapons repetitively, and just overall unfair gameplay.

Making coordinated attacks and pushes are redundant, since theirs no voicechat. A lot of the times my teammates will hesitate to push, leaving me to die instantly to the entire enemy team not knowing that my team didn't follow me to a flanking route, despite pinging "This Way!". Sometimes my teammates can be clueless, as in, they'll focus on kills while the opposing teammate who is carrying the rainmaker takes the lead through a flank route near the end of a match.

But outside of all this, I need help, please I'm having lots of trouble with Rank mode all together, and I want to see if I'm actually the problem. So what can I be doing more for my teammates in Rainmaker, Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Clam Blitz?

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
If you’re struggling this much in ranked chances are that it’s you that’s the problem.

As for what you should be doing it really depends on what weapon you use (if you could tell us that would be great).

Other than that my biggest tip is know when to push - if a push looks like a suicide run, don’t do it unless you absolutely have to.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
-If you can't carry your teammates, that's why your not ranking up. Not every game will have good or even mediocre teammates to help you out.
-If you think some weapons are op, then why don't you use them?
-If the rainmaker slipped past your team, it also snuck past YOU. Take your responsibility and help your team take it down.

I'll admit, some games are absolutely disastrous but on average if you're on a higher skill than your current rank, you'll get there and rank up. If you don't, you don't. Simple as that.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
I believe that not using the op weapons is a matter of pride.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
As much as it sucks, you have to learn how to carry your team. I had the same exact problem, except mine started happening in X rank. Using support/back line weapons didn't really do much for me as you can't really expect your team to know how to and execute a push and not die at choke points. If you're using support or back line weapons, you could switch to an aggressive one to help yourself out.

Never go into solo queue with the mindset that your team will be good and well coordinated. That's a mistake as it's a luck of the draw. You don't have to use "OP" weapons if you don't want to, but you have to use weapons that you're comfortable with and that you can be pretty aggressive with if the time comes for it.

Just in short...just gotta keep trying. As Elecmaw said, if you are on a higher rank/skill than what you're currently in, you'll rank up as time goes on. Other times, you won't. It's not always gonna be fully your fault or anything, specially if you obviously get the less skilled teammates. Just gotta keep doing and trying. Check your map a lot to check for flankers, always be sure to take note of whose dead on what team and act accordingly. And don't get too distracted with trying to kill someone if the person on the objective is pushing.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Rainmaker in random queue is always pretty hit or miss.

Splat Zones and Tower Control, you can make the difference pretty easily if you play your cards right in lower rank.

Finding a good place to suppress the opposing team from advancing in Splat Zones or just applying continuous pressure to prevent them from taking a zone.
Doing whatever you can to stop any advancing enemies from reaching the Tower while another person on your team is riding it in Tower Control.

With Rainmaker, it only takes a single person sneaking through the lines to put you into a tricky position. Or a single wipe can make all the difference because how fast they can move the Rainmaker. You just have to be very attentive on the state of the Rainmaker.

techton

Senior Squid
As for what you should be doing it really depends on what weapon you use (if you could tell us that would be great).
I frequently switch weapons when I'm not doing well with ones I'm currently using, but I mainly use the Dapple Dualies. I used to main the Squiffer but that did me no good.

-If you think some weapons are op, then why don't you use them?
They're not fun to use, and I dislike using them against my enemies because they're so "anti-fun". Even when I run those op weapons, theirs no difference to my win/loss ratio, so the issue could stem from my play-style.
My play-style can be very aggressive to very passive and patient depending on the circumstances. If I'm the only one alive, my play-style switches to passive, where I try my best to be sneaky, choosing flank routes (and hoping my team doesn't superjump to me out in the open). Speaking of superjumping, my teammates always seem to be superjumping at the worse time possible, like right after I die, or when we're being overwhelmed and having to push back, abandoning my teammate's superjump location.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Well I know literally nothing about the dualies so......

It doesn’t sound like you’re really doing anything wrong do idrk what advice to give you

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
S rank is not just good enemy teams,i had 1 recent match where i literally sneaked to the goal with the RM they did stop me but already to late since it was only 4 to go and they just couldn't get through us with the RM,we of course won,i was often able to stop the enemy RM holder with sneak attacks,sooooo as you can see being a sneaky player in RM is the best strategy! but you aren't a bad player if you can't carry your team,i am not a bad player but i can't carry 3 people either but sadly i had to try sometimes since my team wasn't doing to great...best you can do is trying to go along with whatever your team is planning to do,and if the enemy team is to good,keep focusing on the enemy with the RM,you can still be proud of yourself if you made sure they couldn't get a K.O! :D but most importantly go for the weapon that you are best with in RM,i use the octobrush and hell even i have bad days with my weapon,but i also had days and matches where i did really well! if you are already frustrated with RM you will make mistakes or play much more agressively without a strategy because believe me..i been there,i still do it on my bad days (especially with CB & TC) ^^''

matthewrobo

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6568-9880-3978
I believe that not using the op weapons is a matter of pride.
Wow, I didn't know that pride could help me win games! Guess I'll drop my Enperries and pick up a Flingza Roller! A full Cold-Blooded build will surely give me enough pride to help carry me to X-rank!

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Wow, I didn't know that pride could help me win games! Guess I'll drop my Enperries and pick up a Flingza Roller! A full Cold-Blooded build will surely give me enough pride to help carry me to X-rank!
I mean have you seen good dynamos?

They’re SCARY

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
I'll have you know that the Flingza is the work of God himself.

As for the thread, here are three general tips :

1: Know what your weapon is supposed to do. Check out this thread about player/weapon archetypes and tips on how to fill the role, but for now, the long and short of it is that Dapples are Attackers/Controllers, so you need to be attacking enemies, and inking the way for the Rainmaker, making sure nobody sneaks up on them, etc.

2: Know whether your job is being done already. Attacker/Controllers are common weapons, and they tend to be the most commonly played too. If a teammate already has a weapon built to kill and turf, make sure that either you or they are the one to pick up the Rainmaker, and try to fill a different role (as long as you're at least a little suited for it; e.g. don't Carry as an E-Liter unless you absolutely have to).

3: Know what you're doing wrong. Accept that you're doing something wrong. If you weren't, you'd be ranking up - your teammates and enemies have the same average skill levels, so if you're losing consistently it's probably caused by your 25% of the team being below that average (assuming your team isn't made entirely of Attacker/Controllers). Try to figure out if you're losing easy 1v1s (practice more with the weapon), getting caught unawares (try to position yourself more in line with the weapon's strengths), etc.

As for what you're doing wrong specifically... Sounds like you're not thinking of the Rainmaker carrier enough.

You seem to be fulfilling your roles, but doing them in the wrong places. Sticking closer to the Rainmaker (but still ahead of them) can help to convey that the way is safe to travel - you're there and not being killed after all. If there's a huge gap between you and the Rainmaker, that's a huge area where any number of (well, up to four) enemies could be lurking.

Pay attention to the direction that the Rainmaker is shooting - usually that's the direction that they want to travel. Instead of trying to pull them to a different path, let them decide where to go and lead the way.

Make a show of defeating any enemy that gets close and then saying "This way!" - inexperienced players will often ignore this prompt because it's coming from offscreen, but if you're right ahead of them and are good enough to kill enemies, then obviously you can be trusted. Remember that "Booyah!" and "This way!" are easy to mix up though.

Stop in front of someone, then go into Squid/Octo form twice quickly. Through the mystical powers of non-verbal language, this conveys that you're confident, and makes people want to follow you. I still don't understand how, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Now a few tips for the other modes:

Splat Zones caters to longer-ranged weapons, because they aren't forced to be on the Zone in order to paint it. Dapples aren't particularly effective here, but if you insist on using them, try attacking enemies behind the objective, and let your teammates mindlessly take the Zones for you.

Tower Control is great for Attacker/Controllers, but you need to control the area around the Tower rather than the Tower itself. Try not to waste time actually on the Tower unless nobody else is stepping on it. Remember that enemies can jump down onto the Tower from above, so try to control any high-up areas near the objective.

Clam Blitz is a weird one. Ink as much as possible (only clams on your ink appear on the map), collect clams, and remember that you can throw them at your teammates to get them up to 10. Try to occupy the middle-back of the map until you can find three groups, then quickly gather them and bring the Power Clam to the enemy basket. Remember that although you can be seen while holding the Power Clam, you can also throw it away to sneak up on nearby enemies, then pick it back up. It's a risk to do though, because if you die it'll already be despawning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom