How Do You Deal With Losing Streaks?

Do you think the current ranked system in Splatoon is overall good, or bad?

• Total voters

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
Usually if I lose more than one match in a row (Turf Wars OR Ranked), I'll exit the lobby after the match and try to join a new one. My reasoning is that if my team is bad or the other team is super good, changing lobbies gives me a fresh start on a hopefully more level playing field, whereas if I'm the one who's playing badly, then I'm doing a courtesy for the other players in my previous lobby by opening up a slot for a more appropriate opponent.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
I lost a rank going from A- 55 to B+ 62.I'm climbing slowly trying to manage the whole world that separate those ranks in terms of skill and game awareness
I went down to B twice when I was originally in A-. I made to A+ 96, and I then dropped to B+ 66.
Don't get discouraged and think it's just you. Of course, there are some matches (equal and rounded matches) where the loss is IN PART because you didn't do your share. However, if you're like me, you'll notice how easy the matches are now that you've ranked down. It should become a carry-your-team-fest until you get back up.

I'm currently at A- 30-40-something

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Usually if I lose more than one match in a row (Turf Wars OR Ranked), I'll exit the lobby after the match and try to join a new one. My reasoning is that if my team is bad or the other team is super good, changing lobbies gives me a fresh start on a hopefully more level playing field, whereas if I'm the one who's playing badly, then I'm doing a courtesy for the other players in my previous lobby by opening up a slot for a more appropriate opponent.
I get what you're saying about being courteous and leaving if you're playing poorly, but I don't think you should have to do that. You figure, in games like CoD or Halo, you're playing with everyone from ages 10-40 (40's just a guesstimate), but I've never heard anyone having problems with teammatte skill level (granted there are exceptions, especially with those that include teammates that deliberately **** around), or at the very least not to the extent of Splatoon. It seems that everyone I know has some problem with it, yet none of us can really say what it is that causes it. I still really can't figure out what it is that makes Splatoon's ranked system so difficult, but I think your comment gives us a clue (Well it's obvious they shouldn't have the ranked meter give us +6 -12 bullshit).

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
Use a different weapon. If I still lose continue losing I can at least blame it on that, hehe...

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I get what you're saying about being courteous and leaving if you're playing poorly, but I don't think you should have to do that. You figure, in games like CoD or Halo, you're playing with everyone from ages 10-40 (40's just a guesstimate), but I've never heard anyone having problems with teammatte skill level (granted there are exceptions, especially with those that include teammates that deliberately **** around), or at the very least not to the extent of Splatoon. It seems that everyone I know has some problem with it, yet none of us can really say what it is that causes it. I still really can't figure out what it is that makes Splatoon's ranked system so difficult, but I think your comment gives us a clue (Well it's obvious they shouldn't have the ranked meter give us +6 -12 bullshit).
Well, I mean, no matter what mode you're in, every enemy you kill means there's one less opponent on the field for ~10+ seconds, and every time you're killed, that's ~10+ seconds your team has to deal with a 4v3 or worse environment. If I'm dying all the time, it's actually worse than if some glitch made me drop connection, since in ranked the splatter from a kill can cover a significant part of the objective zone (or at least can disrupt your allies' movement options in key areas). There have absolutely been matches I've played where one lower-ranked enemy on the other team was the weak spot that led to an otherwise-skilled team losing, and likewise there have been matches where I KNEW 100% that if I had played better, my team would have been able to win.

That said, I think we can all agree that Splatoon matchmaking is dumb, and the ranked meter needs some tweaking. :P

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Then the Great Zapfish came down and bestowed upon me the Tri-Slosher.

Lucarii

Inkling
NNID
Lucarii
Generally when I start to lose to the point I get around the 30s in my rank, I assess what's going wrong and change my playstyle based on that. For example, today I was losing quite a lot in TC using .96 Gal, so I changed to Aerospray which I thought might be good due to the mines. It was sweet when I started getting on a winstreak again with an S rank on the enemy team.

However, when I'm on a losing streak and weapon/playstyle isn't the issue, I can get a bit salty... that's when I either go to Turf Wars and try out a bunch of different weapons or just do something else entirely.

I guess it's really about what makes you successful, since everyone has different methods for getting where they need to be.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well thanks to the Tri-Slosher (Disruptor + Bubbler!!!!!!) I've made it back to A, but I fear the trek back to A+ will be a long one.

Munchy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lordmunchy
If I'm sucking hard at ranked, I'll play until I'm in a match where I'm certain my team is going to take the victory, squidbag my anger away at an unsuspecting victim that did absolutely nothing wrong to boost my ego, but is at the hands of my uncontrollable wrath (mwahahaha) then just quit the game, at least then I won't feel so bad and It'll sort of change my mentality from a negative one to a positive one, then pick up the game later in the day, or just wait for the following day to see if I've stopped sucking. Sometimes I'm always on top of my game, and sometimes I'm the reason my team loses, it happens, ya just forget how to move and shoot and it sucks. Certain map/mode rotations I skip because I've had terrible experiences with certain combo's, just to avoid losing points.

Oh yeah, for people who disconnect often, always test your connection with a quick turf war battle at the start of your gaming session, don't jump into ranked straight away then disconnect and lose points, that's happened to me before. Just a quick pointer :)

Deltron13

Inkster Jr.
NNID
BigH-D
This is a field I tend to struggle with. I'm currently at A+ (4) after dropping from 96. As I've ranked up, I've encountered constant streaks where I'd drop two or three full ranks. I know the smart thing to do is to take a break and cool down, but I wonder if anyone else struggles with what feels (at least to me) like giving up after a losing streak.
i keep going till i cant yell anymore, honestly losing streaks are the bane of me. i dont care so much of my rank as i do losing games oddly enough though (im A 4) currently, ive been as high as A 96 and i got a really terrible lobby on the game that couldve put me into a+. im not saying this out of spite, i mean,,,,ya know those ranked games where people act like its turf war...that...that happened

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
It's the opposite for me. Whenever I do too much Turf War with my friends and I lose a lot, I jump on rank to cool off. The different modes and such clears my mind of excessive stress and makes me think a little more clearly.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
I mostly play Turf War because I get to flustered in Ranked. When I do hop on Ranked I will only play 4-5 matches before I go back and play Turf War. It's just way too nerve racking for me, especially for the type of weapons I main.

When I do get frustrated at Rank I just quit the game. I just don't feel like playing after a losing streak.

Last edited:

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Jfc-When I get a losing streak, I CAN BE THE SALTIEST SQUID EVER.
But I normally take a break... but like if it's in Ranked, jfc, I can get to the point of tears really.
LIKE LEGIT TEARS OF SALT. Yeah- I'm those players who will whine like baby if I just can't do it.
Then again crying makes me feel better. uvu)

In Turf War it doesn't really bother me TOO much, but it depends if I am with my fam or not.
Like I said, I will take a break, just play in another lobby, or do a private squid-parties.

...Now that I think about it, if I relies I'm doing something wrong I'll try to change up my strats.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I lose a lot. I am better than most B ranks I encounter, but not as good as most B+ ranks. So I'm in this weird middle stage where I win a lot in B, go to B+, then lose a lot. And it's obvious I'm the weakest link (think 1/9 KD ratio). So, I'll go play turf war for a bit with a weapon I'm not great with. Why? Becuse if I do poorly then I blame the weapon. If I do great, I think "man, I'm awesome". Always try to be the top in Turf Wars, even if you lose. That makes me feel better...

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well I finally made it back to A+. I really am back baby!

Relados

Senior Squid
Depends on the mode, but I'll usually switch from the weapon I'm trying to have fun with to something that carries matches easier. For example, in Tower Control I'll switch to the Luna Blaster, or for Splat Zones and Turf War I'll use one of the Aerosprays. If I'm still losing after that, then I'll realize I'm having an off day and take a break (or just continue my frustration in Turf War, since there's nothing to lose). Luckily I've only deranked once, and that was back in early C rank before I took it as seriously.

CinnaDonut

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SerFiora
In Turf War I don't mind a losing streak too much, it can make me salty sometimes but it's all for fun. In Ranked however, I can be saltier than the sea. I'm pretty competitive in Ranked so when I end up on a team and lose badly, I rage quit.. :oops: and then I continue playing Ranked until I get my rank back to where it was when I first started
The ranking system does strike me as odd though. I kind of wish we could choose our own modes for it, or just not have to wait for the modes to be switched every time. What makes me the saltiest/what I want to see fixed most is the disconnect penalty. This Especially bugs me when my team is winning a match, but most of the players are Japanese. The lag and internet problems are just too real with those guys ;-; I noticed that I really only have problems with this at night, which is interesting
When dealing with a losing streak, I either stop playing Splatoon to calm down or just continue playing anyway because I love this game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom