• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How do you define a scrub?

If I'm not mistaken, the guy went on a rampage on Reddit and Twitter after that, then deleted all his social media channels. Quite sad really.
He did. He brought us this copypasta:

You're pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. You're nothing more but a little sheeplet who follows the herd because he was never taught to think for himself in his life.

What have you done for humanity, besides mindlessly following other peopes thoughts? Tell me?´

Exactly. You can't stand up for yourself because your pathetic self hasn't achieved anything in life, instead, you walk on twitch to express your uninteresting opinion in other peoples chats and you can't stand it when someone talks back to you.

If you want to duke it out IRL, come by and I'll show you what it means to be a man, you ****ing internet warrior. You can't do anything besides fight behind your screen and aggressively mash on your keyboard to express yourself. You have less spine than a ****ing worm. Literally the lowest form of gutter trash society could possibly need.

Now you're here, making threads to witchhunt on someone who told you the truth you can't handle, which, by the way, is against the rules of reddit. You should read up to it, maybe.´

"OH no he blocked me on twitter"

Yes, I block 15 year old little ****wads who think they know how life works. You are, infact, one of them.

Seth Killian can take his ****ing game and shove it up his own ****ing ***. You pathetic plebs are sucking up to someone for no ****ing reason and you're unable to judge by yourself, because you have the sheep FGC mentality.

No dignity here.

Have a nice day, enjoy your imaginary FGC and your ****ty little game. In the meanwhile, I'll play games and hang around people who have an IQ above 30.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I blame my teammates all the time when we lose and I got 1000+ points of turf and little jimothy over there did 300 with a carbon roller I get kinda upset and blame my team... idk

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I blame my teammates all the time when we lose and I got 1000+ points of turf and little jimothy over there did 300 with a carbon roller I get kinda upset and blame my team... idk

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Feh, I've always disliked the term myself. Coming from the shrieking hellhole that is the fighting game community, I've heard the comment soooooooooo many times. There, it's mostly used as an insult by the braying jackasses that make up much of the community. Either that, or it's flung at newbies, or anyone that doesnt know the "right" way to play it. Dont know all of the stupid frame whatsits and such for every character? Someone will call you a scrub. Even if you just fought them and utterly annihilated them. Or they'll fling it around if they're angry. Or if they're winning, clearly you must be one because you're getting beaten. Or if they're losing, then you must be even MORE of one because clearly you must be using an exploit or something. Ugh.

I've had it thrown at me alot despite my extremely high skill level in that genre, and every time that happens or I see it happen to someone else, it just baffles me as to how people can act that way. I mean.... firstly, it's just a damn game. Secondly.... whatever happened to sportsmanship? And would it kill them to just be polite and friendly for once? Actually, it probably would... being polite is like Kryptonite to them, which I may have spelled wrong. I just try to be friendly towards everyone, but sadly, that attitude seems rare these days, in most genres.

When related to THIS game, well... I'm just glad there's no voice chat. So very glad for that. Otherwise, it'd probably be flung around ALOT.

I personally dont mind it too much if teammates do silly things or just seem not that good. Many are still learning, and some will just plain struggle with the game for some time, and I'm not one to obsess over rank much, unlike most players that I've met. I tend not to care, as I'm only in it for the challenge. But I dont get angry with teammates unless one of them is somehow trolling, but I really just dont see that happen in this game. Probably because it's so dang fun.

GBstep

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GBstep
Feh, I've always disliked the term myself. Coming from the shrieking hellhole that is the fighting game community, I've heard the comment soooooooooo many times. There, it's mostly used as an insult by the braying jackasses that make up much of the community. Either that, or it's flung at newbies, or anyone that doesnt know the "right" way to play it. Dont know all of the stupid frame whatsits and such for every character? Someone will call you a scrub. Even if you just fought them and utterly annihilated them. Or they'll fling it around if they're angry. Or if they're winning, clearly you must be one because you're getting beaten. Or if they're losing, then you must be even MORE of one because clearly you must be using an exploit or something. Ugh.

I've had it thrown at me alot despite my extremely high skill level in that genre, and every time that happens or I see it happen to someone else, it just baffles me as to how people can act that way. I mean.... firstly, it's just a damn game. Secondly.... whatever happened to sportsmanship? And would it kill them to just be polite and friendly for once? Actually, it probably would... being polite is like Kryptonite to them, which I may have spelled wrong. I just try to be friendly towards everyone, but sadly, that attitude seems rare these days, in most genres.

When related to THIS game, well... I'm just glad there's no voice chat. So very glad for that. Otherwise, it'd probably be flung around ALOT.

I personally dont mind it too much if teammates do silly things or just seem not that good. Many are still learning, and some will just plain struggle with the game for some time, and I'm not one to obsess over rank much, unlike most players that I've met. I tend not to care, as I'm only in it for the challenge. But I dont get angry with teammates unless one of them is somehow trolling, but I really just dont see that happen in this game. Probably because it's so dang fun.
Thankfully my local FGC isn't like that. I admit that I suck compared to most of the people here, but I've never been straight out called a scrub. We use scrub mostly when poking fun with each other like when one of us makes a dumb mistake. When playing, we usually point out the mistakes we commit so we can fix them and get better. Admittedly I have a really tough time improving but I do put effort into working on fixing bad habits, albeit reeeally slowly. We rarely use the term seriously, and if we did we didn't shout it in someone's face unless he does something really provoking.

Last edited:

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Thankfully my local FGC isn't like that. I admit that I suck compared to most of the people here, but I've never been straight out called a scrub. We call each other scrubs mostly when poking fun with each other like when one of us makes a dumb mistake. When playing, we usually point out each other's mistakes so we can fix them and get better. Admittedly I have a really tough time improving but I do put effort into working on fixing bad habits, albeit reeeally slowly. We rarely use the term seriously, and if we did we didn't shout it in someone's face unless he does something really provoking.
Ah, consider yourself lucky, then. It's rare to get a group of decent size from that community that isnt filled with jerks.

This is more along the lines of what I'm familiar with:

Be warned, absolute OCEANS of salt in that video. But it's funny, in a rather sad sort of way.

I've seen crap like that in person, too. I fought this one guy at a convention once, who, after his perfect strategy didnt work (he wouldnt just try something else), jumped up, shrieked an f-bomb at the top of his lungs (this being in a gameroom just STUFFED with people), launches the controller (which wasnt his) at the wall, and just stomps off. Just... the looks on the faces of others that saw that, I can say, nobody expected it.

It gets a bit too absurd sometimes, really. I mean, the only other genre that I've personally seen that gets THAT bad is the MOBA genre, you know, Dota or League of Legends. That gets absurd too. And if ya try to be polite to any of these people, well, it just doesnt work. Heck, there's players that will jump into a game like that, and at the start of every match, they'll just mute everyone else, because they wont get any enjoyment out of it otherwise, because it gets THAT bad.

At least with THIS game, I aint run into any jerks yet on any forums or anything. The community for this seems so much better than the ones for those. Which just makes me like the game that much more.

EDIT: Okay I didnt think that posting a simple Youtube address was going to stick the whole video in here....

At least with THIS game, I aint run into any jerks yet on any forums or anything. The community for this seems so much better than the ones for those. Which just makes me like the game that much more.
I hope I don't sound like a patronizing jerkoff, but, to be fair, it's a shooter with unusual mechanics, tuned to be as non-toxic as possible (the lack of voice chat, while kind of annoying, did go a long way to remove assclowns), aimed at a younger audience (not saying HURR HURR 4 KIDZ ONLY, but still), on a somewhat niche console. Most jerkoffs will stick to screaming 'scrub' at each other over CSGO or Halo, or even Quake Live. Dig deep enough (Leddit, 4chan, etc.), you'll find some sea salt.

(That said, I've oddly not run into any real angry elitist jerkoffs while playing Advanced Warfare on XBL...)

Last edited:

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
So here's a story I'm a character of...

On Miiverse, there was a guy calling Splatoon overrated and overmilked. Here's what happened with him and me...

Him: While a fun game yes... This game is ridiculously overrated and is an overmilked franchise. #TruthBeTold

Me: It's pretty popular, and many people love it. There's even a forum. This game is spectacular, and it shows by its quantity of fans. You're going to have to show some proof of your claim, otherwise you're just making baseless accusations.

Him: the fact they constanly doing new stages, weapons DLC while not hardly giveng any other games any love...thats what

Me: That doesn't explain being overrated, and the reason why it gets free updates is because that's what the game was built on. All the updates except version updates are already in the game, but they're locked; all Nintendo needs to do is unlock them, not develop and put them in (it's already there), and they do it to motivate people to keep playing for stuff that is new to them.

Him: actually it does, but ofcourse like all the other saps who get all salty defensive and in denial about wouldn't know either way

I then replied that resorting to accusations without evidence won't win him any arguments, and how much attention developers give to a game is irrelevant to being overrated. And guess how he reacted?

He deleted my recent reply (although the evidence of me replying is still seen, just not the comment) and blocked me so I couldn't respond. I think I won that argument. :P

Can I blame my teammates when I fall to my death off a ledge for no apparent reason?!
Yes, because they CLEARLY should have taken that fall or block you from falling, because remember everybody: teammates aren't there to help at each other, but to only help you. That's what Splatoon is all about.

TheN64

Inkling
NNID
N64PCGamer
I simply do not use the term. If they are a whiner, they are a whiner. If they blame their team for everything... well there's no term for that so I just say "this guy blames his team for everything" not "this guy is a total scrub". Its such a broad term with so many definitions that there's no real point in using it if everyone thinks something different when you say it! (Of course hyperbole, not LITERALLY everyone)

Last edited:

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I'd say it's even more scrubish to think kills equals skill in Turf War.
Same.

I'd say there's alot more skill in knowing WHEN to worry about getting a kill, in order to get more points by inking everything. Is part of why I play defensively most of the time. I usually just keep re-inking spots that the opposing team tries to take, and repel them from whatever I think is an important area at the time.

Unless I get aggravated and go berserk, at which point all of that goes out the window.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Same.

I'd say there's alot more skill in knowing WHEN to worry about getting a kill, in order to get more points by inking everything. Is part of why I play defensively most of the time. I usually just keep re-inking spots that the opposing team tries to take, and repel them from whatever I think is an important area at the time.

Unless I get aggravated and go berserk, at which point all of that goes out the window.
Here is a good example. Let's say the other team is sieging your base. You could try and kill them (most likely getting killed yourself) or you could find a way around them and ink up their base. Eventually they will have to stop their siege to get you, so it is more likely to be successful than simply facing them head on.

What a lot of people don't seem to get is inking the line of skrimage doesn't get you very far in Turf War.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
Here is a good example. Let's say the other team is sieging your base. You could try and kill them (most likely getting killed yourself) or you could find a way around them and ink up their base. Eventually they will have to stop their siege to get you, so it is more likely to be successful than simply facing them head on.

What a lot of people don't seem to get is inking the line of skrimage doesn't get you very far in Turf War.
Typically, if I'm defending a spot, it's not against the entire enemy team at once; or at least I should bloody well HOPE not, as that'd only make me wonder what in the world my teammates are doing. One or two opponents at once are fine (particularly as it's almost always their very short-ranged weapons against my very high-ranged Splatling); 3 or 4 and I'll leave and go wherever they arent.

And you're right, just attacking that point of collision between the teams dont really help too much and most players really do seem to try that too often; it actually makes defending easier, if you know that opponents are going to try the same tired assault line over and over. Though I do find it entertaining if I or someone else DOES go past that and into the enemy base.... and nobody does anything about it for awhile. Really can lead to entertaining victories. Which I guess is part of why I play defensively: Alot of the time, nobody else will do it if I dont, and it can often lead to a loss where we look at the map, and there's some huge blob of enemy ink there that nobody bothered to do something about. I really hate when that happens.... Either I play both defensively and do a janitor role, or much of the time, nobody will bother to stop or fix any of that. It's kinda infuriating, really.

Though it also depends on the gun I'm using. The Splatling is my most commonly used gun, and as far as I'm concerned, defending stuff is it's entire reason for existing. Not as good at direct offense, though it can drench a huge area if I can get into such a position where I have some time to fire without being harassed. If I'm using something with shorter range I'm more likely to attack enemy areas that nobody is really paying attention to. Usually. Unless I notice that, yet again, nobody is dealing with stuff in our own base (which is even more irritating if my teammates spawn and just SUPERJUMP OVER IT without looking at any of it). And then, sigh, it's back to that janitorial stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom