• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How do you stay in one rank?

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
I want to know, I HATE it when I finally get into s rank, and lose a few battles because of poor internet connection, the team is sorry, when you are missing a person, AND overtime! I HATE, HATE/HATE OVERTIME! and by the time nothing is wrong with a battle, the other team ends up winning, and I also pray(because my rank is @ zero,) I want the rank to go up 5, but one of these events listed above happens, and the rank goes back down! I really hate that, that's why it was so hard to get out of B rank! I only got through that rank because, when the ranking system was jacked up... it put rank C's on out team, so I used my trustful infinity charger to get out of that rank! and I finally got into a A rank in February at a level 40, sure that's not average, Some Asian players somehow get into s and S+ rank at a level 40 or below! I'm always jealous of that! The time I got to a S rank was @ lever 48... poor I know!

JonRossy

Inkling
NNID
Jonandalex
There isn't really a strategy on ranking up and maintaining your rank. Every match is so different that you need to just go with the flow of the battle. I also recently lost my S+ rank. Going from S to S+ the first time was easy but now I'm having a much more difficult time. Just keep at it and think about what needs to be done for each match! Switch between offensive and defensive playstyles in one match if you need to. And never drop your guard until the very end, not even if there's 10 seconds left on the clock. Best of luck to you ranking up again :)

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
JonRossy said:Every match is so different that you need to just go with the flow of the battle.

(My Quote)
I don't know the flow of the battles, because the team rarely knows their OWN flow, they are all over! even squidding around in a battle! its no flow, no rhythm, and no score! they make our team loose.

JonRossy

Inkling
NNID
Jonandalex
Yeah that's always the worst. Unfortunately there's only so much you can do. Sometimes you're able to turn things around on your own and sometimes you're helpless to do anything because you don't have anyone to back you up. All we can do is keep at it and keep trying!

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Some general tips that may or may not help:
  • Connection Errors: If you Disconnect once yourself, immediately go to Turf War and test your connection with one or two rounds. If it's fine, go back in. If not, you just saved yourself from a bunch of point losses.
  • Ally DC's: Hopefully, they do it early in the match as now that means you lose less points. If they don't, try to coordinate with your remaining team to win. It's hard, but not impossible.
  • Bad Teammates: Play around them. And, this is probably the most ironic part of all of it, but they probably think you're a bad team mate too. When you're losing, you're all losing together. If they keep doing the same stupid thing, go the other way and let their same stupid thing lull your foe into a sense of security so you can splat them. It's hard, and sometimes you just gotta know when to go "I'm done playing this session", but it can be done.
  • Bad Match-ups: These sucks hard, but you can win them with coordination (which is the hardest part). You'll have to systematically 2-v-1 each of your teams unfavorable match-ups and do it quick enough that the enemy teams allies can't come in and blind-side you. Again, hard, but doable.
  • Player Envy: Everyone starts somewhere and some people are more acclimated to playing certain games. Don't fret because someone is farther ahead of you. Don't worry about anyone else's progress and focus on being a better you than you were last time you played. You can do this.

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Use the weapon you like and figure out how to best utilize it to help your team. You can do well with whatever weapon you choose, so long as you know how to use it properly in your team. Even bad players can do well if you put them in favorable situations. Your job is knowing how to put your teammates in favorable situations. You have an ally roller or brush? They like to sneak around. Ink turf for them so they have room to move. Those sorts of things will help you and your team succeed.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Then play defensive, getting kills is important in a match too. If you're splatting opponents you'll give your team an easier time completing the objective. But don't forget you can also carry the Rainmaker and get on the Tower! I see this too often, Charges doing nothing but splatting, splatting the whole team but not carrying the Rainmaker? Then the kills didn't matter. Only do the objective if your team doesn't though. Chargers main role isn't to complete the objective, but you'll need to be ready when the time arises!

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I haven't played Splatoon in about 2 months, school gets out in a week and then I'll play it more. I switch out of A+ and S a lot, usually I can to about 40-50 S every time. I always find myself wishing there was an S- since I do really good in A+ but not very well in S.

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
hehe, I got S when I was level 40... maybe even before then. its more or less just a sign of how much you've physically played, which could mean nothing. lots of people get 50 in mostly turf war cause they play all day !

I definitely agree with Hikaru54. chargers are invaluable and if you can balance sniping and helping to carry the objective, your team will surely love you. if you're interested in trying a more direct approach, pick up the squiffer or bamboozler (mk iii is the best one imo). its good to be proficient with every charger if you can.

and don't worry about your rank flipflopping, ESPECIALLY from B+ -> A- , it's a bigger jump than you'd be led to believe, almost as though there's a rank in between the two. its going to happen, and it doesn't reflect on a player, you likely just need time to adjust to how things work in A. take your time and take breaks from the game when you need to.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Don't be jealous of Japanese S ranks. If you play squads you'll frequently see S+ players carrying others to S. That's probably why we get 1-13 players in S -_-

I think 1) You shouldn't be able to get carried by S+ players to S in squads, 2) You shouldn't be able to savescum rank (another dumb loophole).

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Whenever I play with my S+/S ranked buddies (my rank is A+ btw) I do it for fun, not for a easy S rank. And I play pretty good against S+'s. Like 8-9 or 10-11.
It's not that I do not put up a fight. But I hate carry squads. Whenever It's SZ the lower ranks (who are getting carried) Whill just use a Carbon and only roll over the zone all the time. It's pretty annoying.

NNID
KaiAedyn
I say stop blaming fullish things to blame.

By this, I mean to stop blaming your teammates. Stop blaming your internet connections, (although that might be a problem, don't hesitate and get all fussy over it.) and just deal with it. If you find yourself in a stupid situation with your teammates in where YOU'RE INFRONT OF THE ZONE TAKING ON THREE PEOPLE AND YOUR TEAMMATES DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO, just let it happen. I'm pretty sure they will feel stupid to themselves or think that you're stupid even though you were doing the right thing... My last tip is to calm down and don't rage. Most of the time I bet against myself and say to my head, 'I bet I can't go through this round without raging...' and I try it and it works all of the time.

KayB

Semi-Pro Squid
At least in Ranked (and not squads), in my experience most advice centers around one focal point: Stop dying. If you do die, think about why and avoid it next time.

Just get creative in ways to not die. You generally learn a lot about modes, your weapon, other weapons, player habits, and etc by just following this one point.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
You just have to not lose, there's not a lot that can be said other than that. Just keep practicing.

PyrexO2

Senior Squid
NNID
Ethan_Gaming_02
You're on the perfect website ReeSquidGid, a good way to maintain your rank (although you might have heard this before) would be to find a squad and battle with them. Even if you lose you still might only lose around 8 because you will run into some S or S+ players. When the squad isn't online maybe just try and play in turf war of perhaps a different game in general.

The_Devious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
The_Devious97
When starting your play session, go into turf with the weapons you plan on using in your ranked session. Not only will this help warm you up so you'll be at your best in ranked, but this time can be used to test your internet connection. If you are getting a lot of disconnects, check your connection. If it's bad, don't play ranked.

Keep a good state of mind. This applies to anything, but it is crucial when you are thinking on the fly. If you are in a bad mood, you will be angry and make decisions that will not help you or your team. In other words, don't blame losses on bad teammates, Internet connection, or a map and mode combination. If you don't like the map and mode combination, you should wait until the next rotation. You can't do anything about the others, unless you adapt. Complaining is just a cop out and won't achieve anything. It's just a thing people do to make themselves feel better. And as I mentioned before, complaining will only make you play worse.

If you do find yourself getting salty, then take a break from ranked. Play some turf for a while, a different game or don't play anything at all. Just make sure you are doing something you enjoy. Once you are calm and focused, you can return to ranked.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Do well but not perfect!

But seriously, if you suddenly start dropping rank it usually means you either previously had a very favorable rotation or got carried by either squads or very compentent teammates on to your next rank. Don't worry too much, even if you rank does drop it means you no longer have to suffer loss after loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom