1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!

3. We just overhauled our look and made some big updates. Learn about all the changes!

4. Nintendo has officially revealed their new console, previously codenamed NX! It's called the Nintendo Switch and they've announced Splatoon 2, coming this summer!

Join the Splatoon 2 hype and discussion!

How do you stay in one rank?

Discussion in 'Regular Discussion' started by ReeSquidGig, May 16, 2016.

1. ReeSquidGig

ReeSquidGig Inkling Commander

I want to know, I HATE it when I finally get into s rank, and lose a few battles because of poor internet connection, the team is sorry, when you are missing a person, AND overtime! I HATE, HATE/HATE OVERTIME! and by the time nothing is wrong with a battle, the other team ends up winning, and I also pray(because my rank is @ zero,) I want the rank to go up 5, but one of these events listed above happens, and the rank goes back down! I really hate that, that's why it was so hard to get out of B rank! I only got through that rank because, when the ranking system was jacked up... it put rank C's on out team, so I used my trustful infinity charger to get out of that rank! and I finally got into a A rank in February at a level 40, sure that's not average, Some Asian players somehow get into s and S+ rank at a level 40 or below! I'm always jealous of that! The time I got to a S rank was @ lever 48... poor I know!

2. JonRossy

JonRossy Inkling

NNID:
    Jonandalex
    There isn't really a strategy on ranking up and maintaining your rank. Every match is so different that you need to just go with the flow of the battle. I also recently lost my S+ rank. Going from S to S+ the first time was easy but now I'm having a much more difficult time. Just keep at it and think about what needs to be done for each match! Switch between offensive and defensive playstyles in one match if you need to. And never drop your guard until the very end, not even if there's 10 seconds left on the clock. Best of luck to you ranking up again :)

3. ReeSquidGig

4. JonRossy

JonRossy Inkling

NNID:
    Jonandalex
    Yeah that's always the worst. Unfortunately there's only so much you can do. Sometimes you're able to turn things around on your own and sometimes you're helpless to do anything because you don't have anyone to back you up. All we can do is keep at it and keep trying!

5. Shun_one

Shun_one Pro Squid

NNID:
    not_shun_one
    Some general tips that may or may not help:
    • Connection Errors: If you Disconnect once yourself, immediately go to Turf War and test your connection with one or two rounds. If it's fine, go back in. If not, you just saved yourself from a bunch of point losses.
    • Ally DC's: Hopefully, they do it early in the match as now that means you lose less points. If they don't, try to coordinate with your remaining team to win. It's hard, but not impossible.
    • Bad Teammates: Play around them. And, this is probably the most ironic part of all of it, but they probably think you're a bad team mate too. When you're losing, you're all losing together. If they keep doing the same stupid thing, go the other way and let their same stupid thing lull your foe into a sense of security so you can splat them. It's hard, and sometimes you just gotta know when to go "I'm done playing this session", but it can be done.
    • Bad Match-ups: These sucks hard, but you can win them with coordination (which is the hardest part). You'll have to systematically 2-v-1 each of your teams unfavorable match-ups and do it quick enough that the enemy teams allies can't come in and blind-side you. Again, hard, but doable.
    • Player Envy: Everyone starts somewhere and some people are more acclimated to playing certain games. Don't fret because someone is farther ahead of you. Don't worry about anyone else's progress and focus on being a better you than you were last time you played. You can do this.

Mr. 9, birdiebee, Posso and 1 other person like this.
  6. ReeSquidGig

Well, what kind of weapon should I use?

7. Shun_one

Shun_one Pro Squid

NNID:
    not_shun_one
    Use the weapon you like and figure out how to best utilize it to help your team. You can do well with whatever weapon you choose, so long as you know how to use it properly in your team. Even bad players can do well if you put them in favorable situations. Your job is knowing how to put your teammates in favorable situations. You have an ally roller or brush? They like to sneak around. Ink turf for them so they have room to move. Those sorts of things will help you and your team succeed.

8. ReeSquidGig

I really stick to chargers.

9. Hikaru54

Hikaru54 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Dillator
    Then play defensive, getting kills is important in a match too. If you're splatting opponents you'll give your team an easier time completing the objective. But don't forget you can also carry the Rainmaker and get on the Tower! I see this too often, Charges doing nothing but splatting, splatting the whole team but not carrying the Rainmaker? Then the kills didn't matter. Only do the objective if your team doesn't though. Chargers main role isn't to complete the objective, but you'll need to be ready when the time arises!

birdiebee likes this.
  10. Anaru

Anaru Inkling Commander

NNID:
    lavalizard24
    I haven't played Splatoon in about 2 months, school gets out in a week and then I'll play it more. I switch out of A+ and S a lot, usually I can to about 40-50 S every time. I always find myself wishing there was an S- since I do really good in A+ but not very well in S.

birdiebee likes this.
  11. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish ...........Oops! I fell asleep!

NNID:
    tokkers
    hehe, I got S when I was level 40... maybe even before then. its more or less just a sign of how much you've physically played, which could mean nothing. lots of people get 50 in mostly turf war cause they play all day !

I definitely agree with Hikaru54. chargers are invaluable and if you can balance sniping and helping to carry the objective, your team will surely love you. if you're interested in trying a more direct approach, pick up the squiffer or bamboozler (mk iii is the best one imo). its good to be proficient with every charger if you can.

and don't worry about your rank flipflopping, ESPECIALLY from B+ -> A- , it's a bigger jump than you'd be led to believe, almost as though there's a rank in between the two. its going to happen, and it doesn't reflect on a player, you likely just need time to adjust to how things work in A. take your time and take breaks from the game when you need to.

Hikaru54 likes this.
  12. mercenariez

mercenariez Semi-Pro Squid

NNID:
    gamelo8018
    Don't be jealous of Japanese S ranks. If you play squads you'll frequently see S+ players carrying others to S. That's probably why we get 1-13 players in S -_-

I think 1) You shouldn't be able to get carried by S+ players to S in squads, 2) You shouldn't be able to savescum rank (another dumb loophole).

13. Hikaru54

Hikaru54 Inkling Cadet

NNID:
    Dillator
    Whenever I play with my S+/S ranked buddies (my rank is A+ btw) I do it for fun, not for a easy S rank. And I play pretty good against S+'s. Like 8-9 or 10-11.
    It's not that I do not put up a fight. But I hate carry squads. Whenever It's SZ the lower ranks (who are getting carried) Whill just use a Carbon and only roll over the zone all the time. It's pretty annoying.

14. (⌒▽⌒) | Star | Kai

NNID:
    KaiAedyn
    I say stop blaming fullish things to blame.

By this, I mean to stop blaming your teammates. Stop blaming your internet connections, (although that might be a problem, don't hesitate and get all fussy over it.) and just deal with it. If you find yourself in a stupid situation with your teammates in where YOU'RE INFRONT OF THE ZONE TAKING ON THREE PEOPLE AND YOUR TEAMMATES DON'T KNOW WHERE TO GO, just let it happen. I'm pretty sure they will feel stupid to themselves or think that you're stupid even though you were doing the right thing... My last tip is to calm down and don't rage. Most of the time I bet against myself and say to my head, 'I bet I can't go through this round without raging...' and I try it and it works all of the time.

The_Devious, Mikaya and Anaru like this.
  15. KayB

KayB Senior Squid

At least in Ranked (and not squads), in my experience most advice centers around one focal point: Stop dying. If you do die, think about why and avoid it next time.

Just get creative in ways to not die. You generally learn a lot about modes, your weapon, other weapons, player habits, and etc by just following this one point.

16. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Squid Savior From the Future

NNID:
    FurryRedPanda
    You just have to not lose, there's not a lot that can be said other than that. Just keep practicing.

17. PyrexO2

PyrexO2 Senior Squid

NNID:
    Ethan_Gaming_02
    You're on the perfect website ReeSquidGid, a good way to maintain your rank (although you might have heard this before) would be to find a squad and battle with them. Even if you lose you still might only lose around 8 because you will run into some S or S+ players. When the squad isn't online maybe just try and play in turf war of perhaps a different game in general.

18. The_Devious

The_Devious Inkster Jr.

NNID:
    The_Devious97
    When starting your play session, go into turf with the weapons you plan on using in your ranked session. Not only will this help warm you up so you'll be at your best in ranked, but this time can be used to test your internet connection. If you are getting a lot of disconnects, check your connection. If it's bad, don't play ranked.

Keep a good state of mind. This applies to anything, but it is crucial when you are thinking on the fly. If you are in a bad mood, you will be angry and make decisions that will not help you or your team. In other words, don't blame losses on bad teammates, Internet connection, or a map and mode combination. If you don't like the map and mode combination, you should wait until the next rotation. You can't do anything about the others, unless you adapt. Complaining is just a cop out and won't achieve anything. It's just a thing people do to make themselves feel better. And as I mentioned before, complaining will only make you play worse.

If you do find yourself getting salty, then take a break from ranked. Play some turf for a while, a different game or don't play anything at all. Just make sure you are doing something you enjoy. Once you are calm and focused, you can return to ranked.

#18 The_Devious, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
    ⭐️Zapfish⭐️ likes this.
  19. Elecmaw

Elecmaw Inkling Fleet Admiral

NNID:
    Do well but not perfect!

But seriously, if you suddenly start dropping rank it usually means you either previously had a very favorable rotation or got carried by either squads or very compentent teammates on to your next rank. Don't worry too much, even if you rank does drop it means you no longer have to suffer loss after loss.

20. ReeSquidGig

change, change change! ;(

21. Green Waffles

Green Waffles Inkling Commander

Heck if I know, I jump all through A+ to S+! ;P

It's a pretty normal thing for me, when I get salty from a big drop, I stop and listen to some musique, sometimes sing and dance.

22. ReeSquidGig

I ALMOST had a S+ again, but EVERYTIME that I am about to reach 99, I lose! I hate when a coincidence happens!

23. ThatOneGuy

ThatOneGuy Pro Squid

NNID:
    BattadaBeast
    Welp, since you said you use chargers, I'll help you out. I'm what they call a sniper pro, I'm currently S+ 99 and I use every scoped charger there is, plus I've been playing since August 2015, so I guess you could say I'm kind of experienced.

Using a charger is about being the defender and guardian angel of your team. With your one hit kill and long range, you can demolish anything, before it even touches you. So your job is to pick people off of the objective and disrupt the enemy team whilst you do this. However, you are extremely slow and vulnerable, so stay back away from the action. Because your job is to get rid of the nerds trying to kill your allies. Your job should NEVER be in the front lines, as you have the range to deal with them. And as a sniper, you are probably the most valuable weapon on the team, as it checks pretty much everything in the game that doesn't reach it's range.

Still those are "ideal" situations, and most of the time while you play ranked, you're not going to have that. So, you'll most likely have to deal with these threats:

Other Snipers::wst_charge_normalscp00::wst_charge_normalscp01::wst_charge_longscp01::wst_charge_longscp00:These guys match your range or maybe surpass it. Sniper 1 on 1 matchups are always a matter of who gets the better angle. So, techniques such as right side peeking and jump shotting are extremely useful here, allowing you to charge up your shot and get the shot off while taking some cover, so the other charger can't get you back. But if it's E-Liter vs Splatterscope, as a splatterscope try to be aggressive against an E-liter, as being defensive will get you killed moving you inside the E-Liter's range, but if you are far away, you don't get the shot.

Inkzooka::inkzooka: This thing is a HUGE threat to you, as it has the range of a non-scoped E-liter and the trademark 1 shot, with no charge time. Not to mention, this goes over cover if you're just away from the wall. So, when you hear this thing, TAKE COVER. Don't try to retailate back unless you got a great angle to shoot the inkzooka with. Still, remember that the inkzooka is barely out-ranged by the E-liter scope, so if you recognize they're just out of their range, take the shot. Most of the time, people with weapons that like to flank and be offensive carry this around just for the sniper. So, if they see you out in the open, they'll pull out the inkzooka and kill you without much warning beforehand. So, if you see :wst_roller_compact00: :wst_shot_normal01: :wst_shot_expshort00:[​IMG][​IMG] with glowing heads, keep an eye out on them.

Blasters: :wst_shot_explight00::wst_shot_explong01: :wst_shot_explight01:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] These guys are threating because they can damage you behind cover and some can reach high ledges to really annoy you. Not to mention the grim can burst cancel you so, if the grim gets the bomb and blast off, you're dead before you even know it. Not to mention, the rapid pro has some good range, not sniper range, but great range for a blaster who can shoot around a corner. Also, if you were to get in a close ranged fight against one, they can win the gunfight by simply spacing themselves optimally, or they can just direct you before you get the chance to charge.

Try to stay alive and counter your threats, hope you found this helpful.

ReeSquidGig and Anaru like this.
  24. ReeSquidGig

I did:) and it seems like when you finally get to the good part of your rank, they(the server) starts messing up! :(