How does point ranking even work?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I just lost a game where a guy on our team just disconnected like 20 seconds into the game and we got really close but lost in the last 20 seconds, and I lost 7 freaking points??? That is completely unfair.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
You only get the reduced points if they dc before the match begins. If they dc in the match you lose full points. It's rather unfair, but it's hard to measure how much they did while they were there. They should definitely at least extend losing less points to at least thirty seconds in to be more fair.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
As far as I'm concerned the point system is an embarrassment to the Splatoon developers.

Putting aside the many 'what are they thinking?' moments, with disconnections it only takes a moment to realise that losing a teammate even with only 30 seconds left in the game can put you at a disadvantage causing a loss that might not have otherwise happened. Are they saying you only need your teammates for part of the game?

There's a lot more to the game than splats and turf inked, and any player might contribute in those remaining seconds (intentionally or not—even just being a target can be a sufficient distraction) so it should always be assumed that the team with 3 players is at a disadvantage.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
As far as I'm concerned the point system is an embarrassment to the Splatoon developers.

Putting aside the many 'what are they thinking?' moments, with disconnections it only takes a moment to realise that losing a teammate even with only 30 seconds left in the game can put you at a disadvantage causing a loss that might not have otherwise happened. Are they saying you only need your teammates for part of the game?

There's a lot more to the game than splats and turf inked, and any player might contribute in those remaining seconds (intentionally or not—even just being a target can be a sufficient distraction) so it should always be assumed that the team with 3 players is at a disadvantage.
I'm not trying to say that they're not at a disadvantage, just that it's not that simple. If you were already losing at 30 seconds, and by losing I mean pretty badly, why should you only lose one point? True, you might be able to make a comeback, but if you were losing badly already I doubt it. I would support any redoing of points, but I think that losing a only couple less points would be fairer.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I'm not trying to say that they're not at a disadvantage, just that it's not that simple. If you were already losing at 30 seconds, and by losing I mean pretty badly, why should you only lose one point? True, you might be able to make a comeback, but if you were losing badly already I doubt it. I would support any redoing of points, but I think that losing a only couple less points would be fairer.
I agree, and I was thinking something similar but didn't want to write too much. It should always be accounted for even if it is variable—for instance, if you're down a lot before losing the player maybe you can lose more points than if you went down after losing a player.

The point though is that the point system is ridiculous :) I recall even winning a game when my team lost a player before the start of the game and I only won 8 points (when I was an A)—really?!

Baron16Jumpen

Inkling
NNID
Baron16Jumpen
I was going to post this question because I don't understand how it works

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
One time when I was in A+ I was in a lobby with one S player. The S player ended up DCing right after the game started (like 10 seconds in) and we obviously lost a hard-fought game. But because my team had an S and the other team was all A and A+...I lost 12 points. I was livid. Almost broke the game pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom