• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

How Frequent Are Hackers Now?

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Hackers aren't that frequent in S+ for me. They're much more frequent now than they were before Splatoon 2's announcement (in which, zero turned into a handful every 75 games or so) but they're not something to be too worried about.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Splathax is hacking.... It's called SplatHAX = Splat hacks. Like come on, please don't try to argue that. You're using something besides the in game system to change your gear. Everyone's got their own opinion if it's okay or not, but don't try to argue that it's not hacking.

Serious hackers are sometimes impossible to report, the person in the video I posted didn't have an NNID linked to them when I went to find/report them.

I'll be avoiding Splatoon 1 like the plague once 2 comes out anyway. I'd like a fresh game where everyone starts on the same page. I got into Splatoon a year after it was released, so I've never seen the time where people weren't gear hacking/hacking in general.
Do we really need to get into these semantics for the umpteenth time a mere three weeks before launch? The point was that Ceresbane was referring to the kind of hacking that isn't being discussed in this thread.

Reactions: Lyn

jookie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
j00kieizm
Do we really need to get into these semantics for the umpteenth time a mere three weeks before launch? The point was that Ceresbane was referring to the kind of hacking that isn't being discussed in this thread.
What are you jumping on me for? Ceresbane pointed out the same thing I said, it's hacking...?
I said everyone's got their own opinion about it and continued to reply to other posts. So chill.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
What are you jumping on me for? Ceresbane pointed out the same thing I said, it's hacking...?
I said everyone's got their own opinion about it and continued to reply to other posts. So chill.
Doesn't matter if it's hacking or not, there is a very large practical difference between a player having perfect gear that would otherwise be legal, and a player who paints the entire map instantly or moves faster than possible, hence my use of the term semantics.

jookie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
j00kieizm
Doesn't matter if it's hacking or not, there is a very large practical difference between a player having perfect gear that would otherwise be legal, and a player who paints the entire map instantly or moves faster than possible, hence my use of the term semantics.
"It doesn't matter if it's hacking or not.."
See, in this thread about hacking- it does matter since that's the topic of discussion. This thread about the frequency of hackers (of no specific type) being in game recently. I'm good with this back and forth though so have a nice day.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
If you think it doesn't matter the difference I feel you missed OP's intention. They are most likely referring to people cheating ingame to do things that are not possible to do legitimately.. and if we did go into your argument, Splathax despite the name isn't hacking. It's wireless save editing. You wouldn't really call using Action Replay hacking, and this is basically just that.

I don't think OP cares if you edited your save to get your gear/level/etc;, it's usually impossible to prove (unless you do something obvious such as set yourself to S+ at level 1) and has no effect ingame differently than a non Splathax user. They're almost definitely referring to people such as in this video;

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
If gear editing were regarded as hacking in the exact same vein as TeddyBearYoshi's example, pretty much every top-tier player would be implicated. Boy howdy would that bring about a firestorm.

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
If gear editing were regarded as hacking in the exact same vein as TeddyBearYoshi's example, pretty much every top-tier player would be implicated. Boy howdy would that bring about a firestorm.
Do top players really gear-hack? That's a shame if so. I didn't know the game's core competitive audience would be in support of a feature that basically goes against the game itself. I get why people would be frustrated with the game's gamble-system, but winning a few matches to get a re-roll is part of the experience.
On a side note, if so many top players do gear-hack, what about the ones Nintendo sends to E3 for all those big tournaments? Do they gear hack? I'm genuinely curious now. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't follow the competitive players, so I truly have no clue and would like to know.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Do top players really gear-hack? That's a shame if so. I didn't know the game's core competitive audience would be in support of a feature that basically goes against the game itself. I get why people would be frustrated with the game's gamble-system, but winning a few matches to get a re-roll is part of the experience.
On a side note, if so many top players do gear-hack, what about the ones Nintendo sends to E3 for all those big tournaments? Do they gear hack? I'm genuinely curious now. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't follow the competitive players, so I truly have no clue and would like to know.
This isn't anything new. Competitive Pokemon players have been using tools for decades to make perfect Pokemon and bypass the tedious breeding and preparation process. Similarly, custom moves in Smash 4 are a great idea but either banned or ignored because of their random unlocks. If a mechanic is luck-based, competitive players will usually ignore it or try to bypass it.

Perfect gear isn't going to determine matches, raw skill is still the winner of the day, but I can hardly blame anyone for wanting to skip Spyke when experimenting with outfits or optimizing their gear. As for Nintendo's tournaments, these same players are skilled enough to go without, Nintendo's big tournament had everyone fighting with default clothing.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I get why people would be frustrated with the game's gamble-system, but winning a few matches to get a re-roll is part of the experience.
That's pretty subjective, and I'd say most competitive players don't really feel the same. It's not about the experience, it's about being on a level playing field. Waiting and re-rolling over and over for RNG which may not even ever happen isn't any experience. All that, and you may have just ended up with only one perfect clothing or outfit. What happens when you need something else? It's a bad system.

Pokemon players have been using PkHex and PokeGen for years because of things like this, although that's more arguable because you can tilt RNG in your favor in that game with breeding and such (and since Sun/Moon there's almost no significant RNG anymore.)

WOOMY Y NGYES

Inkling
When the moment i bought splatoon until today,i have found 3,one flying and throwing 1000+ burst bombs,other that touches the floor and all the area was all covered by turf and other that made invictible his teammates until the match was over

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Perfect gear isn't going to determine matches, raw skill is still the winner of the day, but I can hardly blame anyone for wanting to skip Spyke when experimenting with outfits or optimizing their gear. As for Nintendo's tournaments, these same players are skilled enough to go without, Nintendo's big tournament had everyone fighting with default clothing.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense. To think of it though, I don't think I'd stand a chance in competitive without 4 RSU's and some Fast Re-Spawn. This puts a totally new perspective on how I see competitive matches.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Makes perfect sense. To think of it though, I don't think I'd stand a chance in competitive without 4 RSU's and some Fast Re-Spawn. This puts a totally new perspective on how I see competitive matches.
Eh! You'll get your chance in the sequel, we'll still have pros with perfect gear but this time they'll have it from grinding ability fragments for hours, cause they'll be doing that just playing the game as is.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Personally for me I have never ran into a hacker. The closest thing that I dealt with was back when the invisible inkling glitch was a thing. Then again, I haven't been able to play since March. But I might be able to soon. May I ask if anybody knows how common they may or may not be in Turf Wars? I don't play seriously, just for fun but I heard what those Octoling hacks did to other people ;-;

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I'm surprised how few people I come across who clearly are using all perfect hacked gear in turf or ranked these days. I have only save scummed for good gear, but I've never used Splathax. At this point with Splatoon 2 coming in a few weeks I feel it's pointless to do it myself. And I find abilities can only carry you so far before your skill determines how you really stand.

Personally for me I have never ran into a hacker. The closest thing that I dealt with was back when the invisible inkling glitch was a thing. Then again, I haven't been able to play since March. But I might be able to soon. May I ask if anybody knows how common they may or may not be in Turf Wars? I don't play seriously, just for fun but I heard what those Octoling hacks did to other people ;-;
I think in March, game altering hacks were extremely rare, most likely out of fear of being banned easily. Now, they are still very rare, but if you play enough you may encounter one or two, it's really nothing to worry about. The hacks we've talked about won't hurt your saves in any way like the Octo hacks did. Though I do worry after Splatoon 2 comes out, hackers will go nuts with the game.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
Thank you so much and I feel like Nintendo's going to get back to banning in Splatoon 2. I would expect nothing more harmful than the hacks people did to show OOBs in Octo Valley or Online Single Player maps. Nothing meant to be used in public battle, just for exploration and such.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Thank you so much and I feel like Nintendo's going to get back to banning in Splatoon 2. I would expect nothing more harmful than the hacks people did to show OOBs in Octo Valley or Online Single Player maps. Nothing meant to be used in public battle, just for exploration and such.
I think we don't have to worry about hacks in Splatoon 2 for a while, I can't imagine anyone has successfully hacked the Switch yet. Though given enough time I'm sure they will, they always find a way. lol

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
I think we don't have to worry about hacks in Splatoon 2 for a while, I can't imagine anyone has successfully hacked the Switch yet. Though given enough time I'm sure they will, they always find a way. lol

I'd be surprised if we did have to worry early on. XD

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The Switch was successfully hacked in the first week. They haven't been able to do much of anything just yet though, and Splatoon 2 should be safe for a good while due to the fears of Nintendo's vigilance and bringing the entire operation down (I hope). The arms race between hackers and Nintendo continues apace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom