How Iconic Is Splatoon Becoming

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
Everyone knows who the Mario Brothers are, regardless if you've played any of their games or not, but how about Splatoon? Like IRL I own like 10 jackets with the Rockenberg logo printed on the back (Lol, don't Judd me) and whenever I go out with one on, there'll always be at least one encounter where someone will strike a Splatoon related conversation with me. Is Splatoon really getting to that level of popularity? I was just using the Mario Brothers as an example, btw.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Everyone knows who the Mario Brothers are, regardless if you've played any of their games or not, but how about Splatoon? Like IRL I own like 10 jackets with the Rockenberg logo printed on the back (Lol, don't Judd me) and whenever I go out with one on, there'll always be at least one encounter where someone will strike a Splatoon related conversation with me. Is Splatoon really getting to that level of popularity? I was just using the Mario Brothers as an example, btw.
Lot's of people must be playing Splatoon then, no-one would know the Rockenberg logo unless they actually played Platoon
btw that's a lot of jackets!! I really want some Splatoon related clothes but I've never gotten around to buying any :p

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Nah i think Splatoon reaching Mario-levels of fame is just not going to happen, Splatoon's popularity peaked during the several months after it's release and right now it's being eclipsed by Undertale. It's not going to get anymore famous beyond this point.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Nah i think Splatoon reaching Mario-levels of fame is just not going to happen, Splatoon's popularity peaked during the several months after it's release and right now it's being eclipsed by Undertale. It's not going to get anymore famous beyond this point.
Not sure about this! They're still rolling out merch, and the tournament/concert last month at Tokaigi were huge.

I don't think any game will become Mario-levels of iconic, but Splatoon is not going to be just a flash in the pan. My experience is different being in Japan, but Splatoon is huge, and every teenager has at least heard of it (my students make splatoon doodles on a lot of their worksheets and notes). Meanwhile nobody knows what Undertale even is. So I don't think it has 'eclipsed' Splatoon.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
it's being eclipsed by Undertale
Maybe in Tumblr, but even then it's fading out, really. While Undertale has interesting twists, there's only so much you can do with it. Splatoon, on the other hand, as long as the servers are working, you will find people to fight with.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I see Splatoon following Pikmin's example. It will be popular enough to bring back with each new console, though I doubt it will reach Pokemon, Zelda, or Mario levels. It has a ton of marketing potential and high replay value, so I don't see it losing popularity any time soon. It may be one of those things that has a huge following in Japan and mediocre interest abroad, so it's possible that it will become more obscure here but stay strong in Nintendo's backyard.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Mario, Zelda, and Sonic are peaks that will never be matched. Their icon status was achieved in an era where the very concept of what they represented was entirely new, and those creations became the visual cultural pillars of what is "electronic entertainment." Similarly Mickey Mouse is the largest icon of animation that ever will be because animation was essentially new in Mickey's day, and Mickey, and later Buggs represented "this is animation." Even now many ,many, many years later, even if Mickey is eclipsed by Mario for brand recognition. If you randomly asked people to name "the most iconic cartoon character of all time" Mickey would almost certainly win. You can't duplicate the success of "first".

But I definitely think Splatoon is in it for the long haul, way bigger than Pikmin. Pikmin is a Nintendo thing. It's a thing Nintendo fans like. It's not iconic, and never was an icon. It never tried to be an icon. It's just a video game series with enough fans to warrant sequels, but nothing cultural to it. Splatoon has achieved a cultural status with imagery and characters to drive it and a full universe of its own. Very different from Pikmin, Fire Emblem, or Metroid. All of which are great, enduring game series, but nothing cultural about them. It will probably be bigger in Japan than the US (which is fair, Zelda is bigger in the US than Japan...) but I do think it can and will be well marketed in the west with plenty of merchandising to keep it forefront.

@Elecmaw Undertale? I think that's kind of a social media trending kind of thing, not any real significant impact of any kind. It's big with the social media kiddies for this month, then will vanish forever again. There's not much of a real world following like Splatoon and it's merchandising machine is generating.

@Rockenberg has actual Splatoon clothing IRL.....(SOOOOOO Jelly-fish right now...) that's not an ordinary thing for a game to achieve.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I was in the Nintendo NY Store (previously known as Nintendo World Store) and here are pics I took of the Splatoon clothes there:

(I own that shirt with the pink squid on it. It's is youth sized so I got in in XL which fits those who wear small sized adult shirts)

And they have backpacks:

(I own both these two black shirts and all the caps)

Also they did a poster giveaway from Friday to Sunday and each one was different depending on the day. I only got the Sunday one but I got two of the same thanks to my husband coming with me.

So Splatoon has its own shelf space in the Nintendo NY store and is sort of an icon.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
I was in the Nintendo NY Store (previously known as Nintendo World Store) and here are pics I took of the Splatoon clothes there: [...]
The caps are cool, but there are not enough clothes with Splatoon's in-game brands.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Splatoon has achieved a cultural status with imagery and characters to drive it and a full universe of its own.
I think this is very premature. Remember PSY and Gangnam Style? It was huge for a while. Everything thought it would launch Kpop to new heights in the US. What happened? It fizzled out. Remember how big a deal Susan Boyle was? That's how these things work. Sometimes, they stick around and most of the time they don't. I think Splatoon appeals to Japanese gamers in a huge way, but I'm not convinced the greater Western world will feel the same way in two years. I hope it does continue to be popular and I think a sequel is a very safe bet, but you have to remember that public consciousness has ADD when it comes to these types of things.

Splatoon has achieved a cultural status with imagery and characters to drive it and a full universe of its own.
I think that remains to be seen. I'll hold off on any final judgement until I see how the sequel pans out.

All of which are great, enduring game series, but nothing cultural about them.
I will disagree with you in the case of Metroid. Samus has been a major icon of gender equality and "girl power" since the day she shocked the world by revealing herself as the main heroine. I'm not sure how you define "cultural," but turning the existing gender paradigm that had existed since time en memoriam in the West on its head certainly counts in my book.

Award

@ShinyGirafarig Awesome pics of the Nintendo store. I sooo want a Takoroka Mesh hat. Is there a guy in the alley behind the store that will add slots for a snail?

It's also interesting that they have backpacks with NES controllers and Mario 1 imagery. I'm thinking these backpacks are not aimed at anyone less than 25? :D

I think this is very premature. Remember PSY and Gangnam Style? It was huge for a while. Everything thought it would launch Kpop to new heights in the US. What happened? It fizzled out. Remember how big a deal Susan Boyle was? That's how these things work. Sometimes, they stick around and most of the time they don't. I think Splatoon appeals to Japanese gamers in a huge way, but I'm not convinced the greater Western world will feel the same way in two years. I hope it does continue to be popular and I think a sequel is a very safe bet, but you have to remember that public consciousness has ADD when it comes to these types of things.
I think you're comparing different things. Those are pop fads. Like the Wii itself. They trend on social media, they become memes, punchlines on evening comedy shows, then vanish, as they always have. Nobody ever seriously thought Kpop would be a thing in the US. But social media and overpaid media pundits kept pretending it would anyway. Fads, like the Wii, explode, they're everywhere within a few years, and they're almost completely forgotten (even avoided as now being a passe outdated fad) after the fact.

The things that last aren't the things that explode and are part of EVERYBODY's lives. Those are all fads. The things that last are things that MANY people are casually aware of simply existing and it joins the background. Most people didn't PLAY Mario or think much of it in the 80's. Most people didn't PLAY Pokemon or think much of it in the 90's. But most everyone became aware of its existence and is that thing that their friends kids like. I'm not saying it'll be a pop culture fad that dominates media cycles. I think it'll more become a reference that people will generally recognize "oh, that Splatoon thing, I've heard of that" while gamers will simply KNOW what it is as a brand. Maybe the Macy's parade will get an Inkling Girl balloon in a few years, then you'll know it's permanent. Assuming Macy's still exists by then which is questionable.

Splatoon hasn't become a fad that EVERYBODY HAS TO BE A PART OF(!!!1!) yet. And that's a good thing for its staying power.

I will disagree with you in the case of Metroid. Samus has been a major icon of gender equality and "girl power" since the day she shocked the world by revealing herself as the main heroine. I'm not sure how you define "cultural," but turning the existing gender paradigm that had existed since time en memoriam in the West on its head certainly counts in my book.
Metroid isn't an icon of anything. It's a washed up directionless series that never actually sold very well to begin with. I happen to be a fan, I enjoy the games, I liked the old 2D games better than the Prime series, but ultimately it never lit up charts, was never tremendously popular, and Nintendo itself has minimal confidence in it (which is why we get that chibi-Metroid game on 3DS (which actually looks fun, but that's beside the point.) The general public was never aware of the existence of Metroid unless you're in gaming circles to begin with, and it never had merchandisable imagery of any sort. One of the Splatoon brand logos has more market potential than the whole of Metroid.

I'm not hating on Metroid, I'm eager for a new Metroid game, it's one of my fondest remembered series, but in terms of the broad market, there never really was much of one. Not in '89, and not in '16. It's like Pikmin. A gaming series for gamers. The "gender paradigm" Samus broke was pretty purely in gaming circles. It never had any significance outside gaming. (And even where it did it was pointed out they had her in a bikini...)

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
@ShinyGirafarig Awesome pics of the Nintendo store. I sooo want a Takoroka Mesh hat. Is there a guy in the alley behind the store that will add slots for a snail?

It's also interesting that they have backpacks with NES controllers and Mario 1 imagery. I'm thinking these backpacks are not aimed at anyone less than 25? :D

There's way more to the store than the pictures I took with way more stuff with 8-bit graphics on them which I filmed. I can send you a link to the video if you like and you can be the judge for yourself.

The "gender paradigm" Samus broke was pretty purely in gaming circles. It never had any significance outside gaming. (And even where it did it was pointed out they had her in a bikini...)
Lara Croft had way more attention with the non-gaming public for iconic female video game characters. Even was referenced in Wreck-it Ralph and Disney chose cameos and references that will have the most recognition for people who aren't devoted to gaming.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I think Splatoon is a merge of many japanese modern culture. Tentacles, wet things, lolitas/chibis, cool clothes/colors and those tokyo-ish scenarios.
Mixing all this stuff I think it has a very strong image/identity which can differ itself from almost any game released.

For me it's a jet set radio spiritual sucessor, and a new identity for Nintendo franchises. Mario, Link, Samus seems pretty outdated to me, hope they never mix elements from these series on Splatoon.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
The things that last aren't the things that explode and are part of EVERYBODY's lives. Those are all fads. The things that last are things that MANY people are casually aware of simply existing and it joins the background. Most people didn't PLAY Mario or think much of it in the 80's. Most people didn't PLAY Pokemon or think much of it in the 90's. But most everyone became aware of its existence and is that thing that their friends kids like.
Well, considering that Pokemon didn't see an international release until 1998 and video gaming really didn't take off as a hobby until after the late 1990's-2000, I'm not surprised. You're basically saying only a comparatively small group of people took interest until it became mainstream, which is self evident. It's hard for something to gain widespread popularity without shifting from a niche to the general population. It's like saying "most people didn't pay much attention to the internet until everyone started using it," which is absolutely true. That doesn't mean the people in that niche didn't appreciate certain milestones in their given hobby; it means they understand their hobby is niche and keep to their own communities. Now that gaming has taken off, people are more open about their favorite franchises.

That's how these things start. They have to enter the public consciousness. The difference is, smart companies are able to keep their momentum where unsuccessful fads aren't. My point is, I think Splatoon is still in it's fad phase. It needs more time to see how well it does once the hype and novelty wear off. People who are saying this is some defining cultural icon are jumping the gun. Mario and Zelda are defining cultural icons because they were hugely popular, but they also stuck around year after year. Splatoon hasn't even seen its first birthday yet, and we're already calling it a cultural icon? Let's maintain some perspective here: it's a fun game with a unique idea. It hasn't been around long enough to establish itself as an icon of anything.

Metroid isn't an icon of anything. It's a washed up directionless series that never actually sold very well to begin with.
Perhaps the series wasn't hugely popular, but the character is for both good and bad reasons. If Metroid was such a huge waste of space, why does Samus keep returning in Smash Bros? Why was Samus ever in the first one to begin with? Even if people didn't know they series, they knew the character.

The general public was never aware of the existence of Metroid unless you're in gaming circles to begin with, and it never had merchandisable imagery of any sort. One of the Splatoon brand logos has more market potential than the whole of Metroid.
See above. When Metroid first came out, gaming was still very niche and "nerd" was not something you wanted to label yourself as (anyone from the 80's or 90's understands this). Splatoon has the advantage of coming out at a time when gaming is a mainstream hobby and nerd culture has become the new cool. It's far easier for gaming companies to sell merchandise now. Even huge fans of Zelda at my middle and high school didn't go around wearing Zelda shirts or Zelda backpacks. Even though most kids at my schools liked Zelda games, gamer culture still hadn't been fully accepted then and no one wanted to be too open about being nerds. Maybe this wasn't an issue everywhere, but it certainly was where I lived.

Gaming has become very commonplace now, so I can understand that many don't realize there was a time when the general public didn't pay any attention to it. I mean the whole meme about people confusing Link for Zelda was born out of this. People think this is just a joke, but I actually knew people in my highschool called Link "Zelda" and thought the Zelda games were RPGs. When I played Pokemon, people thought my Charmander was a Red Yoshi. All the people who were serious gamers in my high school could sit at a single 8 seater table in the lunchroom and still have room for a few anime fans to join us. Just some perspective of where I'm coming from.

Award

There's way more to the store than the pictures I took with way more stuff with 8-bit graphics on them which I filmed. I can send you a link to the video if you like and you can be the judge for yourself.
There's no such thing as too much Nintendo store footage! :)

Lara Croft had way more attention with the non-gaming public for iconic female video game characters. Even was referenced in Wreck-it Ralph and Disney chose cameos and references that will have the most recognition for people who aren't devoted to gaming.
Good point, I often forget ol' Lara. I was entrenched enough in Nintendo at the time that I paid no attention to Playstation upstarts popping up, and by the time I got around to trying it in my PC era it was the time of the DirectX 10 light bloom disaster and the nVidia FX card (Leaf Blower) disaster and the decline of the old Tomb Raider series. But even I was aware of its existence, and that was indeed a public icon. Metroid conversely is a nintendo franchise for nintendo fans and game enthusiasts that never really left that niche. Lara has live action movies and a reboot game trilogy. Samus has....uhh...Smash? And a cameo in a new Metroid game everybody decided to hate before playing it?

I think Splatoon is a merge of many japanese modern culture. Tentacles, wet things, lolitas/chibis, cool clothes/colors and those tokyo-ish scenarios.
Mixing all this stuff I think it has a very strong image/identity which can differ itself from almost any game released.

For me it's a jet set radio spiritual sucessor, and a new identity for Nintendo franchises. Mario, Link, Samus seems pretty outdated to me, hope they never mix elements from these series on Splatoon.
That's very true about it's modern Japanese-ness (the first few items aside...) but the clothing and urban culture etc is very Japanese, but also has a generic worldwide appeal. You're VERY right about it being a Jet Set Radio successor though. That's the first thing I thought of, and the 90's funky fresh motif is just great, because it hearkens back to Nintendo's heyday era and all the Non-nintendo things in our kid world when we were growing up with it, so it appeals to older gamers, but also seems new & fun to the younger set. It's this romanticized version of an era lost in time, released right when 80's and 90's nostalgia is making a comeback in a big way. And this game permanently lives in the best parts of 90's kiddom. It even has an arcade cabinet in the Plaza!

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
@Award @ShinyGirafarig @R2D221
Yeah, I visit the Nintendo NY store a sh*t ton, but I've never seen any clothing that actually resemble the in-game ones, discounting that hats. I had to do some scouting online to find some gear... I only have the Rockenberg Jackets, "18k" Aviators, and the Urchins Cap, though...

Just in case your curious...

This is where I get the Splatoon clothes:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/arizone/portfolio/recent

This is where I got the Urchins Cap (had my friend put the logo on it):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGHGBNC/ref=twister_B00KH8W2T2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Award

@Rockenberg That is so awesome on so many levels :D I feel a little wrong actually knowing the brand names and logos by heart for fictional clothing companies. :p

Well, considering that Pokemon didn't see an international release until 1998 and video gaming really didn't take off as a hobby until after the late 1990's-2000,
Speak for yourself, it was a primary hobby to me since the 80's and the arcades was where all the cool kids hang out. I had a 1989 GameBoy in 1989, and it traveled on many journeys. Gameboys were instantly popular ,B&W non-lit screen and all.

Of course it was associated as a kids toy back then. Miyamoto himself considered himself a toy maker.

Perhaps the series wasn't hugely popular, but the character is for both good and bad reasons. If Metroid was such a huge waste of space, why does Samus keep returning in Smash Bros? Why was Samus ever in the first one to begin with? Even if people didn't know they series, they knew the character.
Samus is not really known outside gaming circles. Samus is in smash because it generally reaches the same audience, and Nintendo likes to use Smash as marketing tie-ins to their other franchises. Nintendo players know the character (though many of them know here BECAUSE of smash.) Not only is Samus/Metroid only well known in gaming circles, but I'd argue that it's mostly just Nintendo & retro gaming circles. The XBox crowd is doubtlessly largely unfamiliar with her as well.

Metroid fans always seem to think Metroid is a bigger thing than it is for some reason. It's a great game series. So is Pikmin.

But for the rest of the article, no, it'll never be an icon like Pokemon or Mario, but it's also more iconic than 90% of the games that come out, largely because it has icon elements to latch onto where few games these days do. Most games are bent on being realistic, or simplistic. The idea of identifiable characters and imagery that is entirely unique is something that hasn't been around in a long time. Iconic is probably the wrong word, it'll take a few sequels to get that far. But a widely recognized brand, I think is almost a guarantee now.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Speak for yourself, it was a primary hobby to me since the 80's and the arcades was where all the cool kids hang out. I had a 1989 GameBoy in 1989, and it traveled on many journeys. Gameboys were instantly popular ,B&W non-lit screen and all.
Of course people had Gameboys, but most people I knew met up somewhere to play them. They didn't pull them out in front of peoplle in school, they only did that with other gamers. Anyway, you said Pokemon wasn't popular in the 90's and I explained that may be because it came out on the tail end of the decade. I don't see what a roving Gameboy has to do with gaming being rather niche before the turn of the millennium.

Samus is not really known outside gaming circles. Samus is in smash because it generally reaches the same audience, and Nintendo likes to use Smash as marketing tie-ins to their other franchises. Nintendo players know the character (though many of them know here BECAUSE of smash.) Not only is Samus/Metroid only well known in gaming circles, but I'd argue that it's mostly just Nintendo & retro gaming circles. The XBox crowd is doubtlessly largely unfamiliar with her as well.
But again, why introduce her at all if she was so trivial? Why include her in a marketing vehicle if the company doesn't plan on releasing any Metroid games? I always thought it was because she was an important part of Nintendo's history, largely because Metroid didn't have many games.

Metroid fans always seem to think Metroid is a bigger thing than it is for some reason.
Fans are always going to think their favorite series are more important than any others. That's the definition of a fan. Some people think the female protagonist of one series played a major role in changing the way people think about gender, and others think their game is a cultural icon even though it's not even a year old. People who like something are always going to attach undue significance to it.

But for the rest of the article, no, it'll never be an icon like Pokemon or Mario, but it's also more iconic than 90% of the games that come out, largely because it has icon elements to latch onto where few games these days do. Most games are bent on being realistic, or simplistic. The idea of identifiable characters and imagery that is entirely unique is something that hasn't been around in a long time. Iconic is probably the wrong word, it'll take a few sequels to get that far. But a widely recognized brand, I think is almost a guarantee now.
Again, it's still in its fad phase. Everyone knows what it is because it is still hot right now. Give it a couple of years, and let's see what Nintendo does with it before we start thinking that Splatoon is a permanent fixture of daily life. I don't think Inklings are identifiable characters though. They literally have no personality beyond what the player imposes upon them. That's part of their charm: they can be literally anything the player want's them to be. That's not an identifiable character though. That's actually the polar opposite: generic.

I'm more interested to see what Splatoon will become rather than what it is right now. The devs mentioned that they'd like to make a non-shooter Splatoon game. I'd love to see what they do with a Splatoon RPG or strategy game about the Great Turf War. Even if they stick with the shooter genre, there's a lot they can do to to flesh out the in-game universe. Right now, the game is about 80% headcanon and 20% actual in-game lore. I'd like to know more about the world Inklings live in.

Axel Sparkster

Booyah Boi
NNID
AxelSparkster
I was in the Nintendo NY Store (previously known as Nintendo World Store) and here are pics I took of the Splatoon clothes there:

(I own that shirt with the pink squid on it. It's is youth sized so I got in in XL which fits those who wear small sized adult shirts)

And they have backpacks:

(I own both these two black shirts and all the caps)

Also they did a poster giveaway from Friday to Sunday and each one was different depending on the day. I only got the Sunday one but I got two of the same thanks to my husband coming with me.

So Splatoon has its own shelf space in the Nintendo NY store and is sort of an icon.
I'm so salty that they don't sell this stuff online.

I think Splatoon is a merge of many japanese modern culture.
You'd be surprised. https://reichanjapan.wordpress.com/2016/02/22/inkopolis-101-japanese-cultural-references-and-you/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom