• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How is the Jet Squelcher in Splatoon 2

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
It's firing rate is actually pretty awful. If a shorter-ranged weapon gets the range advantage on the Jet, the other weapon will generally win.
You're basically saying 'ohmygosh if a melee weapon fights a sniper at close quarters the melee weapon will win!'

No offense, but that's not exactly groundbreaking news, buddy.

The fire rate is still fast for such a long range, and there are easy ways to avoid close-quarters situations.

@Ulk I think the reason the Jet Squelcher hasn't seen that many high tournament results is because there are other weapons like the Rapid Blaster that simply do its job better.

Doesn't stop it from being borderline op though.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
It's firing rate is actually pretty awful. If a shorter-ranged weapon gets the range advantage on the Jet, the other weapon will generally win.
It's still a 50% chance that I manage to avoid getting hit and splat the shorter-ranged weapon before it hits me too often.

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
You're basically saying 'ohmygosh if a melee weapon fights a sniper at close quarters the melee weapon will win!'

The fire rate is still fast for such a long range, and there are easy ways to avoid close-quarters situations.

@Ulk I think the reason the Jet Squelcher hasn't seen that many high tournament results is because there are other weapons like the Rapid Blaster that simply do its job better.

From what I been hearing the way the Jet is, the weapon is not OP. If you are calling it OP, cause of it's range, then chargers and splatings are OP. And I for one don't hear people complaining about those weapons to a point they want it nerfed. You also contradict yourself by saying this:

" I think the reason the Jet Squelcher hasn't seen that many high tournament results is because there are other weapons like the Rapid Blaster that simply do its job better."

So that would mean Rapid Blasters are OP then based on what you are saying. The Jet is about range. Now from what the people here have informed me, the only buff the weapon has from the first game is a slight damage increase. If everything else is about the same, the weapon is not OP and here's why

- It's not that great at covering turf. Thus can make it a problem to move around. And the firerate is not that great compared to its brother, dual squelcher.

- Due to how the shots are, it can be hard to get a kill on someone. The first game it can take like 5-6 shots to kill an opponent if not direct. This becomes a problem if you are being rushed down. Also this can leave you open to a sneak attack if there is alot around. Forces you to back off, thus slowing down your objective. I can't count how many times I have the advantage being on a higher area shooting at my opponent, and I can't kill them at times. Even if I go for sneak attacks. They just get away. The only thing I gain from this is I forced them to back off and give up the objective for a bit.

- Unlike the first game, I have no means of protecting myself up close. The first game I had either a splat wall or burst bombs. This game for now, There is only missiles and mist. So if i get rushed down I have only 2 options. Make my shots count which I explained can be a problem or straight up run away. I'm more vulnerable. There are shooters that can handle getting rushed down or dealing with 2 people at once (granted you have good movement and aim). Jet Squelcher is not one of them.

What I just explained here are not OP traits. The weapon is for support. It's good at quickly harassing people at a distance. That's about all it has. Killing with it is a problem. Protecting yourself with it can be a problem. For playing the support role, I would say its one of the best (if not, the best) You can stay near a teammate and cover them at range. Assist with kills (you might get more assist kills then kills on your own). Block entries to an area you don't want your enemy around (like the splats zones or rain maker). But if your team is taken down, there is not much you can do on your own.

You state that getting rushed down is not ground breaking. And used the example of rushing down a charger. The difference is, that is a charger. 1.5 ~ 2.5 secs to fire ONE shot that has to hit to protect itself. If its more then one rushing down that charger, he is forced to run or he is most likely dead. The Jet is a SHOOTER. And I am usually forced to retreat if I get rushed by other shooters. And that is a problem.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Okay, let's do this one piece at a time.

From what I been hearing the way the Jet is, the weapon is not OP. If you are calling it OP, cause of it's range, then chargers and splatings are OP. And I for one don't hear people complaining about those weapons to a point they want it nerfed.
Well, the Jet is a shooter and doesn't have to charge up it's shot. I think it also uses less ink. In addition, it's sub help it's "slow" fire rate, while the Splatlings and Chargers don't.

You also contradict yourself by saying this:

" I think the reason the Jet Squelcher hasn't seen that many high tournament results is because there are other weapons like the Rapid Blaster that simply do its job better."

So that would mean Rapid Blasters are OP then based on what you are saying. The Jet is about range. Now from what the people here have informed me, the only buff the weapon has from the first game is a slight damage increase. If everything else is about the same, the weapon is not OP and here's why
(Rapid Blasters are OP with their speed shot buff)

- It's not that great at covering turf. Thus can make it a problem to move around. And the firerate is not that great compared to its brother, dual squelcher.

- Due to how the shots are, it can be hard to get a kill on someone. The first game it can take like 5-6 shots to kill an opponent if not direct. This becomes a problem if you are being rushed down. Also this can leave you open to a sneak attack if there is alot around. Forces you to back off, thus slowing down your objective. I can't count how many times I have the advantage being on a higher area shooting at my opponent, and I can't kill them at times. Even if I go for sneak attacks. They just get away. The only thing I gain from this is I forced them to back off and give up the objective for a bit.
Wait, I thought we were talking about the 2nd game, not the first. Also, since the Jet is long ranged, it shouldn't have a hard time to pick off enemies that are coming towards you. If they do, then you probably aren't paying much attention. (Sentence 3) A lot? A lot of what? (Sentence 4) That doesn't make sense. If you had the advantage, like you stated, then how do you not kill them? Just use your Toxic Mist if you can't aim. Also, the Jet isn't for sneak attacks.

- Unlike the first game, I have no means of protecting myself up close. The first game I had either a splat wall or burst bombs. This game for now, There is only missiles and mist. So if i get rushed down I have only 2 options. Make my shots count which I explained can be a problem or straight up run away. I'm more vulnerable. There are shooters that can handle getting rushed down or dealing with 2 people at once (granted you have good movement and aim). Jet Squelcher is not one of them.
Like I previously said, the Jet is not meant for up close engagements, but with you're long range, you should be able to pick them off before they get to you.

What I just explained here are not OP traits. The weapon is for support. It's good at quickly harassing people at a distance. That's about all it has. Killing with it is a problem. Protecting yourself with it can be a problem. For playing the support role, I would say its one of the best (if not, the best) You can stay near a teammate and cover them at range. Assist with kills (you might get more assist kills then kills on your own). Block entries to an area you don't want your enemy around (like the splats zones or rain maker). But if your team is taken down, there is not much you can do on your own.

First of all, that video shows that it's not support, and second of all, leave support to the Brella.

You state that getting rushed down is not ground breaking. And used the example of rushing down a charger. The difference is, that is a charger. 1.5 ~ 2.5 secs to fire ONE shot that has to hit to protect itself. If its more then one rushing down that charger, he is forced to run or he is most likely dead. The Jet is a SHOOTER. And I am usually forced to retreat if I get rushed by other shooters. And that is a problem.
That doesn't explain your point. So? What if the Jet is a shooter? The Charger sounds like it has it more worse than a Jet because at least the Jet could slow down the person with their shots/sub.

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
That video does not show me that the weapon is so called OP or aggressive. One team just ran through the other. One of the kills the player got was against a splatershot that just stood in one place trying to find the Jet squelcher and just shooting hoping to get the hit. He should have be moving and not leave himself open. If you don't know where one is, don't stand there shooting. You have to move. If you are gonna show an example of this aggressive OP weapon, then show a vid of a team that is actually putting up a fight.

The Jet has a hard time picking people off cause of its shots. It's hard to kill moving targets with it due to how it's shots are. Your aim needs to be on point. If not it will take more shots then needed to kill or it the enemy just gets away. So with my example of me having the advantage and going for a kill, its hard to get it. The worst that happens is the player just gets away.

I'm not sure what the meaning of OP is to people around here But if this weapon was op it would have these qualities:
- Kills quickly
- Accurate Shots
- Good range
- Can defend itself well
- Can quickly cover turf
- Can move around well
- High Ink tank
- Versatile In aggressive and defensive play.

The only things the jet has out of this list Good range and a High ink tank. I believe you can shoot for about 11 secs straight before it runs out. Everything else it lacks. So it does not make any sense to me how the Jet is OP. if it was OP, I would see people using that weapon more in competitive play. Just like you saw lots using the slosher before it was nerfed.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Ok.
So.
I'm going to try to reply to all your points.
There are a lot.

So first of all, I'm pretty sure I never contradicted myself. I never said that the jet squelcher was OP, I said it was borderline OP. This means that it comes very close to being OP, and I personally believe that the Rapid blaster is also borderline OP, just better than the jet squelcher. This is my opinion, please respect it as I respect yours.

Despite the fairly insignificant buffs, what makes the jet squelcher so good (I won't use the word OP if it upsets you) in this game is because of changes in stage design and nerfs that made all its competitors less viable.

To solve the movement issue, just work in tandem with a teammate or run some ink resistance. It's not a big deal.

The dualie squelchers aren't very good (imo) at the moment because of their range (which is inferior to the jet squelcher) and their less support-oriented kit.

A weapon doesn't have to get lots of kills to be good (even though whenever I'm playing the jet I seem to manage to get 10+ kills with it). A support weapon with a ridiculously impressive stage presence that keeps the enemy team penned in at all times can still be really good (again, I won't use the word OP if it upsets you).

To stop yourself from getting rushed down, just be a little bit aware. Check your flanks and look at the map regularly, and throw poison mists at any potential troublemakers.

Ok so I called the squelcher a sniper, not a charger, due to its obscene range. If you want I can change it to 'ohmygosh if a long range weapon fights a melee weapon at close range the melee weapon will win!,

Again, still not exactly groundbreaking news, buddy.

I just feel like the Jet is a little bit of a brain dead weapon, that's why I prefer to use weapons that require finesse like the charger, or fancy footwork like the TTek and Sploosh.

@Flopps we should totally do twin squads together sometime.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
That video does not show me that the weapon is so called OP or aggressive. One team just ran through the other. One of the kills the player got was against a splatershot that just stood in one place trying to find the Jet squelcher and just shooting hoping to get the hit. He should have be moving and not leave himself open. If you don't know where one is, don't stand there shooting. You have to move. If you are gonna show an example of this aggressive OP weapon, then show a vid of a team that is actually putting up a fight.

The Jet has a hard time picking people off cause of its shots. It's hard to kill moving targets with it due to how it's shots are. Your aim needs to be on point. If not it will take more shots then needed to kill or it the enemy just gets away. So with my example of me having the advantage and going for a kill, its hard to get it. The worst that happens is the player just gets away.

I'm not sure what the meaning of OP is to people around here But if this weapon was op it would have these qualities:
- Kills quickly
- Accurate Shots
- Good range
- Can defend itself well
- Can quickly cover turf
- Can move around well
- High Ink tank
- Versatile In aggressive and defensive play.

The only things the jet has out of this list Good range and a High ink tank. I believe you can shoot for about 11 secs straight before it runs out. Everything else it lacks. So it does not make any sense to me how the Jet is OP. if it was OP, I would see people using that weapon more in competitive play. Just like you saw lots using the slosher before it was nerfed.

Jet Squelcher doesn't have accurate shots? Yeah right. What do you mean about "move around well?" Inking Speed? Also, you stated that the jet Squelcher is a support weapon, so why doesn't it check the "Quickly cover turf" box? In addition, you say that the Jet should be moving around a lot, which is for an aggressive weapon, but a support player inks over turf and helps others, not be speedy to steal kills.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Gotta say, I'm pretty confused by the direction this took. Dark.Pch, for someone who mains the weapon, you sure don't seem to think much of it.

Dark.Pch

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dark.Pch
@BBGrenorange - You quoted Flopps when he said that the Jet was stupidly OP, and responded with " You"re not alone". Your next post is when you said it was borderline OP. I am killing 2 birds with one stone Since i don't think that weapon is OP or close to it. I never disrespected your opinion. I'm saying my reason why I don't agree. If I was disrespecting it, I be insulting you, which I did not. And the Jet Is far from being a brain dead weapon for how you have to play it to be good at helping out the team. The slosher was a brain dead weapon before it was nerf. The Jet does not come close to that.

@Flopps - These vids were much better then the first one you showed. But they also help me prove my point. The first video, the player was keeping his distance backing up the team. There was one moment where he got into a confutation with another weapon and he pulled back going elsewhere. Knowing his chances of winning an up close fight were not in his favor.

For last 2, each time he was close to an opponent or was forced to close confutation, he lost most of them. And when the team covered ink around him before they went at him, he did not have much time to cover around him to slow them down due to how it's not that great at covering turf. This is what i am talking about in terms of moving well. The shots to not cover ink well around you to quickly move around. Really if you get ambushed. Some shooters are able to do this then quickly move to aggression or get away.

That weapon does not cover turf well to a point you can cover space quickly and leave no gaps then go on the move. I'm not sure if you pay attention to the trail of ink it leaves when you shoot ahead of you. It just leaves drops. You have to shot in that path for a bit to fully cover it vertically. If you shoot while moving horizontally, You will just have drops of ink and will make it hard to just quickly move forward. Or cover your area quickly with a pool of ink.

Also, you can move around alot and not be aggressive. You don't always wanna be in one spot for long. Yet that does not mean you are aggressive. The Jet can just just rush and someone and kill them easily. You would be up in peoples faces alot and winning most battles if it was aggressive. The Jet is not good up close. Covering enemy Ink is not quick. Most weapons can take you out before you can take them out.

Gotta say, I'm pretty confused by the direction this took. Dark.Pch, for someone who mains the weapon, you sure don't seem to think much of it.
You got it all wrong. I love the weapon. I'm just stating why the weapon is not OP or close to it. This does not mean I am trashing the weapon. I think it's a really good weapon.

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I just feel like the Jet is a little bit of a brain dead weapon
Between Tri-Sloshers, Brushes and Spam-Blasters regardless of which title we're speaking of; calling the Jet a brain dead weapon out of all weapons in the roster put a smile on my face. It is powerful and way more mobile than charger-type snipers of comparable range but at the end of the day it's still a support weapon and requires a good amount of skill so you can really hold your own with it. It's a strong weapon, but it's not OP, not even close actually. If anything, a couple weapons in the shorter-range department might be slightly under-powered. The Jet is fine though, imo. And I'm certainly not saying that because I got a few skillful splats on a Jet while wielding my Splatterscope, nooo.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969

The person i was replying to implies that this was not the case. If it truly had a fast firerate+ 4 shot kill it would blast players at close range aswell. It's not exactly like an always charged Heavy.

Ok.
So.
I'm going to try to reply to all your points.
There are a lot.

So first of all, I'm pretty sure I never contradicted myself. I never said that the jet squelcher was OP, I said it was borderline OP. This means that it comes very close to being OP, and I personally believe that the Rapid blaster is also borderline OP, just better than the jet squelcher. This is my opinion, please respect it as I respect yours.

Despite the fairly insignificant buffs, what makes the jet squelcher so good (I won't use the word OP if it upsets you) in this game is because of changes in stage design and nerfs that made all its competitors less viable.

To solve the movement issue, just work in tandem with a teammate or run some ink resistance. It's not a big deal.

The dualie squelchers aren't very good (imo) at the moment because of their range (which is inferior to the jet squelcher) and their less support-oriented kit.

A weapon doesn't have to get lots of kills to be good (even though whenever I'm playing the jet I seem to manage to get 10+ kills with it). A support weapon with a ridiculously impressive stage presence that keeps the enemy team penned in at all times can still be really good (again, I won't use the word OP if it upsets you).

To stop yourself from getting rushed down, just be a little bit aware. Check your flanks and look at the map regularly, and throw poison mists at any potential troublemakers.

Ok so I called the squelcher a sniper, not a charger, due to its obscene range. If you want I can change it to 'ohmygosh if a long range weapon fights a melee weapon at close range the melee weapon will win!,

Again, still not exactly groundbreaking news, buddy.

I just feel like the Jet is a little bit of a brain dead weapon, that's why I prefer to use weapons that require finesse like the charger, or fancy footwork like the TTek and Sploosh.

@Flopps we should totally do twin squads together sometime.
If you want people to listen to you, don't berate them with passive-agressive language. Just putting it out there, buddy.

Then don't use the words "borderline OP". Just use the words strong/weak, it's a lot shorter and clearer. And the Jet is far from a braindead weapon, you have a weak ttk to work with and a lot of range to utilize. It's a far different mindset than using a short-ranged weapon. If you want something that's dead simple, look no further than Aero or Tri.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel

"Borderline op". ... No. That's a joke. The NZAP for example was also made nearly redundant by the Splattershot which also does its job better even if they are nearly on par, and yet it competitively stood right below it, nearly toe on toe with as little distance between them as there is distance between viability. The Jet Squelcher is among the low tiers competitively right now, with the bottom tiers being ones that aren't used at all, like Clash Blaster. It is in no regard, online or tournaments, anything even just near a dominating weapon. It's in no regard top tier, much less borderline op. Not in theory and especially not in practice. It's of course by no means a bad weapon. It is decent and it does its well. But it's nowhere near the top.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Ok.
I'm going to try to reply to all your posts again.
There are a lot.
Again.

First of all, @Elecmaw:

Ouch.

Perhaps my behavior wa a little boorish, and I would like to apologise sincerely for it.

When I quoted Flopps, please note that I said 'You're not alone', not 'I agree with you'. These 2 statements have subtly different meanings.

Second of all, when I asked you to respect my opinion, I was
a) Asking you to keep this argument relevant and civilized
b) Attempting to temper any disrespectful tendencies in myself as well.

Please do not continue this line of argument as I dance around with words on a day-to-day basis, and it will get very boring very fast for both of us.

Now I shall attempt to kill multiple birds with the same stone (I won't mention all the posts by name) and say that I am speaking from my personal experience with the jet squelcher.

It feels to me like a really brain dead weapon, capable of restricting enemy mobility as well as numerous other things that I have already mentioned, and it just feels too easy to play.

@Elecmaw (again). That is actually the way I speak in real life

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
"Borderline op". ... No. That's a joke. The NZAP for example was also made nearly redundant by the Splattershot which also does its job better even if they are nearly on par, and yet it competitively stood right below it, nearly toe on toe with as little distance between them as there is distance between viability. The Jet Squelcher is among the low tiers competitively right now, with the bottom tiers being ones that aren't used at all, like Clash Blaster. It is in no regard, online or tournaments, anything even just near a dominating weapon. It's in no regard top tier, much less borderline op. Not in theory and especially not in practice. It's of course by no means a bad weapon. It is decent and it does its well. But it's nowhere near the top.
Does everything OP weapon HAVE to be in competitive?

@Dark.Pch Gonna diagnose your post soon

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
@BBGrenorange - You quoted Flopps when he said that the Jet was stupidly OP, and responded with " You"re not alone". Your next post is when you said it was borderline OP. I am killing 2 birds with one stone Since i don't think that weapon is OP or close to it. I never disrespected your opinion. I'm saying my reason why I don't agree. If I was disrespecting it, I be insulting you, which I did not. And the Jet Is far from being a brain dead weapon for how you have to play it to be good at helping out the team. The slosher was a brain dead weapon before it was nerf. The Jet does not come close to that.

@Flopps - These vids were much better then the first one you showed. But they also help me prove my point. The first video, the player was keeping his distance backing up the team. There was one moment where he got into a confutation with another weapon and he pulled back going elsewhere. Knowing his chances of winning an up close fight were not in his favor.

For last 2, each time he was close to an opponent or was forced to close confutation, he lost most of them. And when the team covered ink around him before they went at him, he did not have much time to cover around him to slow them down due to how it's not that great at covering turf. This is what i am talking about in terms of moving well. The shots to not cover ink well around you to quickly move around. Really if you get ambushed. Some shooters are able to do this then quickly move to aggression or get away.

That weapon does not cover turf well to a point you can cover space quickly and leave no gaps then go on the move. I'm not sure if you pay attention to the trail of ink it leaves when you shoot ahead of you. It just leaves drops. You have to shot in that path for a bit to fully cover it vertically. If you shoot while moving horizontally, You will just have drops of ink and will make it hard to just quickly move forward. Or cover your area quickly with a pool of ink.

Also, you can move around alot and not be aggressive. You don't always wanna be in one spot for long. Yet that does not mean you are aggressive. The Jet can just just rush and someone and kill them easily. You would be up in peoples faces alot and winning most battles if it was aggressive. The Jet is not good up close. Covering enemy Ink is not quick. Most weapons can take you out before you can take them out.

You got it all wrong. I love the weapon. I'm just stating why the weapon is not OP or close to it. This does not mean I am trashing the weapon. I think it's a really good weapon.
*Confrontation

TBH I think that moving in a confrontation like that would be a good move, even if you're a :wst_shot_short00: or something because by the time you turn around, you'd be dead. In addition, you say that it's not good for turfing, but that's what support weapons are for. Inking turf, and blocking flanks, which only one was showed in the first video (Blocking Flanks).

In the 2nd video, the first time he died was understandable, but the 2nd time was lag if you watched slowly.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Does everything OP weapon HAVE to be in competitive?

@Dark.Pch Gonna diagnose your post soon
... Of course. Competitive play allows for weapons to be represented through professionals, or as professionally as we can get it while tracking it. Competitive play is by far the most major factor in practice, even in a competitive scene not yet fully developed.

Every single weapon regarded OP has proven to be so in competitive play by establishing a dominating position for the record.

Though make no mistake. The Jet Squelcher isn't doing great anywhere. Not in online either. Doesn't get many positions in top 100 lists for regular online play either, unlike the real top tiers, like the Splattershot for example which make up 30%-40% of those lists. It's in absolutely no sense anywhere near broken or just top tier. In fact with it showing average results online and very bad results competitively, I'd say it right now has a stronger tendency to the low tiers than it has to the high tiers.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Yeah, but I'm talking from my experience using the weapon:
  • Consistent wins
  • 10+ kills most matches
  • 5+ specials most matches
To me, that feels ridiculously good, and it didn't really take that much effort, like it just felt like I won because I was using a good weapon.

To clarify, though, I am nowhere near competitive player level.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Big fan of the Jet Squelcher in Spla2n. Very strong weapon, at least, in my opinion.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
the Splattershot for example which make up 30%-40% of those lists.
Splatter's one of the most balanced weapons in the game, that's the entire idea behind it. It's that high up because of its high usage, due to its relative simplicity to use.
--

I think the Jet's pretty good. Nowhere near OP or Top Tier or anything, but it's a solid weapon choice. Right now it's competing with the Rapid, which sadly just does the job of long range harasser much better than the Jet does right now. If the Rapid weren't as good as it would be then Jet would probably be in a much better place.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom