• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How is the Jet Squelcher in Splatoon 2

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
@ThatSquidYouKnow How can it be a solid choice if you admit there's a weapon that does its job better? Why would you choose the jet squelcher over the rapid blaster then?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Splatter's one of the most balanced weapons in the game, that's the entire idea behind it. It's that high up because of its high usage, due to its relative simplicity to use.
--

I think the Jet's pretty good. Nowhere near OP or Top Tier or anything, but it's a solid weapon choice. Right now it's competing with the Rapid, which sadly just does the job of long range harasser much better than the Jet does right now. If the Rapid weren't as good as it would be then Jet would probably be in a much better place.
Careful. There is a huge difference between balanced viability-wise and balanced stat-wise.
It is completely unbalanced in one of those things, and balanced in the other. Its individual stats are on a somewhat equal level. Certain weapons have strong weaknesses and great strength, so a pretty high elevation on that curve. The Splattershot is bad at nothing, extremely great at nothing but good to great at everything. So pretty equal in stats.
Whether its viability is balanced is another story, because that's not the case. It's by absolute far the most dominating weapon competitively and online and the most excessive usage rate make it viability -wise one of, if not the most unbalanced weapon currently in the game. Which... is not surprising. "Very Bad, Very Good, Very Bad, Very Good, OK" does not equal "Great, Great, Great, Great, Good." in theory either.
The Splattershot currently rests in its own tier position above each and every single weapon in the game competitively. And that is not because of its usage rate. That is because of the results it brings. It's unbalanced in theory and in practice, both competitively and online. Equal stat distribution makes it balanced in a sense that in no way influences its viability. A weapon that is terrible at everything is balanced stats-wise as well. It would still be the worst weapon in the game though. It's basically the Mario scenario in Smash. He is balanced in the sense that is he is great at everything. Viability-wise this makes him one of the most unbalanced characters in the roster though.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
@ThatSquidYouKnow How can it be a solid choice if you admit there's a weapon that does its job better? Why would you choose the jet squelcher over the rapid blaster then?
Because every weapon performs more than one specific role. For one thing, the Jet is better equipped to handle melee ambushers than the Rapid is. Nothing is that clear-cut in this game.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
Because every weapon performs more than one specific role. For one thing, the Jet is better equipped to handle melee ambushers than the Rapid is. Nothing is that clear-cut in this game.
I agree that the jet squelcher weapon itself is better in a melee ambush, but the utility of the ink mines and the bomb rush can both arguably outweigh that. Neither toxic mist nor tenta missiles are useful responses to a quick ambush. Having two ink mines that don't need to be continually thrown and that give a point sensor ability allow you to be better entrenched, and even potentially kill an enemy on their own, without direct engagement from the player. Bomb rush also allows an ambush to be turned into a trade. I think these are good reasons, besides the strength of the main weapon itself, why the rapid blaster sees more play competitively than the jet squelcher.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I agree that the jet squelcher weapon itself is better in a melee ambush, but the utility of the ink mines and the bomb rush can both arguably outweigh that. Neither toxic mist nor tenta missiles are useful responses to a quick ambush. Having two ink mines that don't need to be continually thrown and that give a point sensor ability allow you to be better entrenched, and even potentially kill an enemy on their own, without direct engagement from the player. Bomb rush also allows an ambush to be turned into a trade. I think these are good reasons, besides the strength of the main weapon itself, why the rapid blaster sees more play competitively than the jet squelcher.
I won't argue against your point about sub weapons because that's fair, but as for your point about using specials to handle melee ambushes, I can't help but disagree. This isn't because bomb rush is better than tenta missiles at handling such ambushes. This is because you can't rely on a special to be THERE to handle these ambushes. Not even if you save your special specifically to counteract ambushes can you count on that. The moment you use your special to deal with an ambush, you then don't have a special to handle the next ambush.

Additionally, most people use these specific specials not as a panic button but to push the objective or guard against the opposing team's objective push. Reasonable minds can disagree, but I believe this is the best use for these two specific specials.

I do see where your point is coming from with all this, and I'm sure certain players could have success the way you describe. But I also think the jet is more reliable at handling melee ambushes. Maybe you disagree that "reliable" in this case is "better," but I always prefer the reliability of a strategy that hits singles and doubles at a good rate versus the inconsistency of a strategy that swings for the fences but often strikes out.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I won't argue against your point about sub weapons because that's fair, but as for your point about using specials to handle melee ambushes, I can't help but disagree. This isn't because bomb rush is better than tenta missiles at handling such ambushes. This is because you can't rely on a special to be THERE to handle these ambushes. Not even if you save your special specifically to counteract ambushes can you count on that. The moment you use your special to deal with an ambush, you then don't have a special to handle the next ambush.

Additionally, most people use these specific specials not as a panic button but to push the objective or guard against the opposing team's objective push. Reasonable minds can disagree, but I believe this is the best use for these two specific specials.

I do see where your point is coming from with all this, and I'm sure certain players could have success the way you describe. But I also think the jet is more reliable at handling melee ambushes. Maybe you disagree that "reliable" in this case is "better," but I always prefer the reliability of a strategy that hits singles and doubles at a good rate versus the inconsistency of a strategy that swings for the fences but often strikes out.
I agree with all that. I was definitely reaching to try and paint the bomb rush as a defensive tool. But the fact is that, unlike the tenta missiles, which I couldn't conceivably view as a special that could ever be used in response to being ambushed, the bomb rush still has that slim possibility. If you die with either special you're going to lose it anyway, the only difference is that the bomb rush can actually do something in that short period of time. Both the bomb rush and tenta missiles are primarily tools to control the objective.
My overall point is that the jet squelcher may be better at using the main weapon to win against an ambush, but the rapid blaster can use its ink mines to better prevent ambushes altogether.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I agree with all that. I was definitely reaching to try and paint the bomb rush as a defensive tool. But the fact is that, unlike the tenta missiles, which I couldn't conceivably view as a special that could ever be used in response to being ambushed, the bomb rush still has that slim possibility. If you die with either special you're going to lose it anyway, the only difference is that the bomb rush can actually do something in that short period of time. Both the bomb rush and tenta missiles are primarily tools to control the objective.
My overall point is that the jet squelcher may be better at using the main weapon to win against an ambush, but the rapid blaster can use its ink mines to better prevent ambushes altogether.
As much as I like ink mines, I think you're putting a little too much faith in them. Even on tight stages enemies can take other routes and set off mines with errant fire. They're handy but not foolproof.

Frankly, I think you see the Rapid more because it's easier to kill with... and sucks at painting, which the Jet excels at. Map control can win matches just as readily as team wipes, and the two weapons handle these roles VERY differently. People tend to go with what seems "easier", hence the Aerospray legion these days.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
@Dessgeega and @Vitezen

Honestly, I see them as weapons that can work together side by side very well. I get more annoyed, as a rapid/rapid pro main, when I'm put on the same team as a charger in solo or in league pairs. Two zone-holding, bad-at-inking, killing weapons (in the rapid and a charger) don't mesh as cleanly. But when I'm on a team with a jet squelcher or SSP or .96 gal, I can make that work. And that's how I see it. I put the Jet with those other two weapons. A rapid blaster is more like a shorter, mobile charger (especially with the pro).

That said, it seems SSP has been more popular than the .96 or jet, and I'm not sure if there's a fantastic reason for that (even though I do like the SSP quite a lot).

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
As much as I like ink mines, I think you're putting a little too much faith in them. Even on tight stages enemies can take other routes and set off mines with errant fire. They're handy but not foolproof.
Frankly, I think you see the Rapid more because it's easier to kill with... and sucks at painting, which the Jet excels at. Map control can win matches just as readily as team wipes, and the two weapons handle these roles VERY differently. People tend to go with what seems "easier", hence the Aerospray legion these days.
I wouldn't say that the jet squelcher necessarily paints better than the rapid blaster. It does have longer range, but it has spotty coverage unless you or your teammates dedicate extra time to cleaning up, or are only painting a straight path.
As for the ink mines, with two in separate locations, and your team covering you as well, you've got at least 3 chokepoints covered. I'd have a hard time naming more than 3 routes to any location.
@Dessgeega and @Vitezen

Honestly, I see them as weapons that can work together side by side very well. I get more annoyed, as a rapid/rapid pro main, when I'm put on the same team as a charger in solo or in league pairs. Two zone-holding, bad-at-inking, killing weapons (in the rapid and a charger) don't mesh as cleanly. But when I'm on a team with a jet squelcher or SSP or .96 gal, I can make that work. And that's how I see it. I put the Jet with those other two weapons. A rapid blaster is more like a shorter, mobile charger (especially with the pro).

That said, it seems SSP has been more popular than the .96 or jet, and I'm not sure if there's a fantastic reason for that (even though I do like the SSP quite a lot).
I agree. Though I don't think I see them used together commonly, I wouldn't be tearing my hair out over it. Unlike a charger they're flexible enough to work together.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I wouldn't say that the jet squelcher necessarily paints better than the rapid blaster. It does have longer range, but it has spotty coverage unless you or your teammates dedicate extra time to cleaning up, or are only painting a straight path.
As for the ink mines, with two in separate locations, and your team covering you as well, you've got at least 3 chokepoints covered. I'd have a hard time naming more than 3 routes to any location.
This is no doubt me being biased but I feel the need to correct you :p The rapid cannot paint walls, corners, or any area that it cannot fire in a straight line well. It shares that problem with every blaster.
Here's the ground after strafing with the Jet twice and 4 strafing shots of the Rapid, with about a second in the times between them. You'll note that their gap sizes are quite similar. The Jet's coverage being "spotty" doesn't matter when every drop is poison to foes and every shot covers such a large area. The rapid wins on killing power, the Jet on sheer coverage and utility.

As for the mines, again, not foolproof. Mines only do 35 damage and mark the foe, a skilled opponent can still take you out, and you can't always count on your team *coughrankedcough*.

I don't see the Splattershot Pro much myself. Many pros consider it to be one of the worst weapons at this particular moment, as the Forge has what's currently the worst special and the weapon itself being nerfed to it's Splat 1 launch stats means it really has nothing to offer over other ranged options currently.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I don't see the Splattershot Pro much myself. Many pros consider it to be one of the worst weapons at this particular moment, as the Forge has what's currently the worst special and the weapon itself being nerfed to it's Splat 1 launch stats means it really has nothing to offer over other ranged options currently.
Take this with a grain of salt because it's anecdotal, but I see the SSP quite a lot in solo queues and a bit in league pairs. I think a lot of it is because ink storm is a really good special that's on only a few decent weapons. So if you want ink storm but you also want a killing shooter with range, you have one choice.

The jet is weird. I'll see it a ton for a day or two and then I don't see it for a week and then I'll see it a ton again. I have no idea what to make of that, but it would be neat if it got a little more play. I think it deserves it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Take this with a grain of salt because it's anecdotal, but I see the SSP quite a lot in solo queues and a bit in league pairs. I think a lot of it is because ink storm is a really good special that's on only a few decent weapons. So if you want ink storm but you also want a killing shooter with range, you have one choice.

The jet is weird. I'll see it a ton for a day or two and then I don't see it for a week and then I'll see it a ton again. I have no idea what to make of that, but it would be neat if it got a little more play. I think it deserves it.
True enough, most players take it for the Ink Storm rather than the weapon itself, which doesn't paint or kill as quickly as competing options. As for the Jet's visibility, it seems like the most common ranged weapon that isn't a blaster... and ranged weapons in themselves are a tad uncommon in this short-range meta, so that's my guess.

Maave

Inkling Commander
This is no doubt me being biased but I feel the need to correct you :p The rapid cannot paint walls, corners, or any area that it cannot fire in a straight line well. It shares that problem with every blaster.
Here's the ground after strafing with the Jet twice and 4 strafing shots of the Rapid, with about a second in the times between them. You'll note that their gap sizes are quite similar. The Jet's coverage being "spotty" doesn't matter when every drop is poison to foes and every shot covers such a large area. The rapid wins on killing power, the Jet on sheer coverage and utility.
I would also consider the ink efficiency of the Jet, making it even better for coverage. The Rapid really drains the tank when you're trying to paint

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Alright, just to compare some things about rapid vs jet squelcher real quick.

First off, rapid and the jet do not do the same thing. The rapid blaster is focused on getting individual picks, possibly playing as a goalie for your team, and the rapid blaster is great for hunting down snipers and heavies. Which are two weapon classes that are hard for a jet to win against. The rapid is also much more capable at winning up close as well, as a direct + spark on the ground is a kill, meanwhile the jet needs to land 4 shots which will take it a while.

But what makes the jet worth having on a team? It's the only weapon to have the insane range without a charge of some sort. Plus, it paints much better than a rapid blaster any day of the week. Also, it's much better equipped for dealing with mid ranged targets that the rapid would have to direct for, as the jet user can simply stand back and shoot them.

As for kit comparisons, mine isn't much better than toxic mist, as inkmines require you to have map control in order to work, which is something the rapid can't do by itself most of the time. But toxic mist can be used offensively and defensively, as it's thrown, and you don't need to reveal yourself to get it in an ideal location.

But for specials, the rapid blaster clearly has the better special, splat bomb rush is still extremely useful in this game for starting pushes, and reclaiming the map in a chaotic artillery strike. Jet Squelcher has tenta missles, which aren't bad, but they just don't have the impact that a splat bomb rush can have half the time.

All in All, both are good weapons, but they don't do the same thing. Saying that something has the same range = it does the same thing not a good way to look at it. That would be like saying the blaster and the aerospray do the same thing because they have a similar range tier. Sure, having similar range makes you adopt similar tactics, but it doesn't dictate what role the weapon should perform.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Alright, just to compare some things about rapid vs jet squelcher real quick.

First off, rapid and the jet do not do the same thing. The rapid blaster is focused on getting individual picks, possibly playing as a goalie for your team, and the rapid blaster is great for hunting down snipers and heavies. Which are two weapon classes that are hard for a jet to win against. The rapid is also much more capable at winning up close as well, as a direct + spark on the ground is a kill, meanwhile the jet needs to land 4 shots which will take it a while.
Just wanted to say that I love that you mention the rapid's role of playing goalie. I'm a basketball fan, so I use a "shot blocking" analogy, but I mean it in the same way you do.

Jet also plays defense but in a totally different way. It's like a soccer or basketball player who hounds a player up the field/court and either forces the player to give up the ball or one of their teammates jumps in and forces the turnover.

Just a completely different mentality.

I also like what you mention about close range versus midrange. This is a good point -- rapid has the ability to one shot someone at close range, but jet's distance is better equipped to take people at midrange.

All in all, I don't think I disagree with anything you say here.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
In my experience, the jet squelcher was much more spotty than the rapid blaster. In the testing range it was visually clear to me. And in my own time playing in matches, it was similar. I would often be standing, looking at a field painted by my own jet squelcher or my team's, and lamenting that I would still have to manually paint a path for myself through the covered area, due to its spotty coverage. I've never had that experience playing as or with a rapid blaster.
As for a lack of teamwork, this is a solo queue problem. Of course the jet squelcher's ability to better fight 1v1s at close range is a bigger boon in solo queue where that event is more likely to happen.
For the weapon's roles, I do agree that they are a little more different than I gave them credit. I do think that the weapons are different, and in the highest level of play, the situations where a rapid blaster would excel are more common than those in which a jet squelcher would excel. An example of a map that I definitely associate with the jet squelcher is SZ shipyard.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
I think you have the Rapid's value at close range completely overrated. A direct + spark takes much more time than 4 hits from the Jet, and that's assuming you hit with the direct. A miss from the Rapid is disastrous, but a miss from the Jet isn't a huge deal.

The Rapid is a good "goalie" in Tower Control but mediocre in Rainmaker, due to its poor speed, and disastrous in Splat Zones (not counting Bomb Launcher). The Jet is mediocre at "goalkeeping" in all three modes but is a good harrier to help others do the job,

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
@BBGrenorange - You quoted Flopps when he said that the Jet was stupidly OP, and responded with " You"re not alone". Your next post is when you said it was borderline OP. I am killing 2 birds with one stone Since i don't think that weapon is OP or close to it. I never disrespected your opinion. I'm saying my reason why I don't agree. If I was disrespecting it, I be insulting you, which I did not. And the Jet Is far from being a brain dead weapon for how you have to play it to be good at helping out the team. The slosher was a brain dead weapon before it was nerf. The Jet does not come close to that.

@Flopps - These vids were much better then the first one you showed. But they also help me prove my point. The first video, the player was keeping his distance backing up the team. There was one moment where he got into a confutation with another weapon and he pulled back going elsewhere. Knowing his chances of winning an up close fight were not in his favor.

For last 2, each time he was close to an opponent or was forced to close confutation, he lost most of them. And when the team covered ink around him before they went at him, he did not have much time to cover around him to slow them down due to how it's not that great at covering turf. This is what i am talking about in terms of moving well. The shots to not cover ink well around you to quickly move around. Really if you get ambushed. Some shooters are able to do this then quickly move to aggression or get away.

That weapon does not cover turf well to a point you can cover space quickly and leave no gaps then go on the move. I'm not sure if you pay attention to the trail of ink it leaves when you shoot ahead of you. It just leaves drops. You have to shot in that path for a bit to fully cover it vertically. If you shoot while moving horizontally, You will just have drops of ink and will make it hard to just quickly move forward. Or cover your area quickly with a pool of ink.

Also, you can move around alot and not be aggressive. You don't always wanna be in one spot for long. Yet that does not mean you are aggressive. The Jet can just just rush and someone and kill them easily. You would be up in peoples faces alot and winning most battles if it was aggressive. The Jet is not good up close. Covering enemy Ink is not quick. Most weapons can take you out before you can take them out.

You got it all wrong. I love the weapon. I'm just stating why the weapon is not OP or close to it. This does not mean I am trashing the weapon. I think it's a really good weapon.
In previous posts, so say that the Jet Squelcher is a support weapon, but you continously bring up the point that it can't paint well. Doesn't that contradict your statement a bit? I know that you're talking about movement, but support weapons is all about helping teammates move and kill. *cough cough BRELLA cough cough*

I don't understand the 3rd paragraph. Did you look over it?

In Paragraph 4, you say that "You have to shot in that path for a bit to fully cover it vertically. If you shoot while moving horizontally, You will just have drops of ink and will make it hard to just quickly move forward. Or cover your area quickly with a pool of ink." Does this mean that the Splattershot Pro is bad too? Does that mean that there is almost no difference between them except that the Jet Squelcher has much more range and a little bit less damage?

"The Jet can just just rush and someone and kill them easily. You would be up in peoples faces alot and winning most battles if it was aggressive. The Jet is not good up close. Covering enemy Ink is not quick. Most weapons can take you out before you can take them out." - Paragraph 5. Well then, how about those Rockenberg videos I sent you? He was up close and aggressive most of the time. In addition, would that mean that the Bamboozler and the Squiffer are bad for close range since they can't cover turf quickly enough? Your sentences apply to them as well.

Finally, just because a weapon can't bain well doesn't mean that it's not good. Just look at the charger and blaster class for example. Plus, rollers are good in close range, but they aren't that good for painting larger areas, so does that mean that they're bad too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom