• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

How long did it take you to learn the Motion Controls?

Kzero

Inkster Jr.
I wish I could use the motion controls. Although I instinctively went for stick control, i'd like to experiment with motion. Unfortunately, my motion control sensor is busted. I can only look up and down. Gonna have to wait to get a new gamepad. Which is fine because I have a Splatoon decal for my gamepad I want to put on :P

easyheimer

Inkling
NNID
easyheimer
After several hours of trying to get used to it, I turned off motion controls.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
I picked up Splatoon and it felt like I was born to use motion controls.

Probably because I'm a PC Master race kinda guy and it's similar to using a mouse but whatever

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
I find motion controls so much better than dual analog but tbh I was extremely reluctant to switch at first. The way motion controls were being hyped up seemed almost cultish, but they deserve the hype. I personally still go for extremely low sensitivity of about -3.5/-4 because you can still turn around quickly by rotating the controller as well as using the analog, but motion controls make aiming above and below so much better. I used to find it impossible to aim at chargers and Squelchers on camping spots and now they're easy pickings unless they move.

MickX

Inkster Jr.
At first I had quite a bit of trouble with motion controls from the very first minute in the test area. I just couldn't adapt myself to it. Then I stumbled upon ThatSrb2DUDE's video on how to use motion controls and from there on it was smooth sailing! Took me a day or two, after that I really didn't mind motion controls at all anymore.

Though the way I play is using the right stick while leaving the minor adjustments/natural feel of movement to the gyroscope. Sometimes I tend to forget I can turn the GamePad around more agressively, haha (especially while jumping and shooting at the same time, which I'm currently trying to learn and improve).

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
It took me about an hour or two before I got used to them.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I just can't get used to them. Dual stick with max sensitivity feels natural to me after playing so many games that use the right stick for camera controls.

SheriffCrazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SheriffCrazy
I played the single player with the motion controls. By the time I was done it was second nature.

Single player was a good testing ground 4 me.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I suck at Watch Dogs now, and I am not very happy about it.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
I've used motion controls since the beginning and got used to them after only 2-3 matches in the Global Testfire. I've tried using twin stick controls since, just a few days ago, and it was WAY too difficult for me compared to the motion.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
What exactly are the advantages of motion control camera anyways? They don't seem a great deal faster than stick control or anything..

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
What exactly are the advantages of motion control camera anyways? They don't seem a great deal faster than stick control or anything..
Superior control of up and down motion imo. Also allows for more specific precision and easier 180s when under fire. I shared your scepticism at first but the switch to them pays off.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
Superior control of up and down motion imo. Also allows for more specific precision and easier 180s when under fire. I shared your scepticism at first but the switch to them pays off.
My biggest difficulty with switching is how obvious the difference is between my skill levels with the control schemes. I can do rather well with stick control, but my performance with motion controls is atrocious, and I'm worried about how long I'll have to invest in playing much worse than normal until the new controls become familiar.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
My biggest difficulty with switching is how obvious the difference is between my skill levels with the control schemes. I can do rather well with stick control, but my performance with motion controls is atrocious, and I'm worried about how long I'll have to invest in playing much worse than normal until the new controls become familiar.
Try playing octo valley, it's great practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom